Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

pram posted:

i just deployed bittorrent sync on coreos on digitalocean, and now i am my own kim dot com. except even fatter
i will ddos ouya so you pay me with vouchers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i fixed my problam with the deja dup backup thing. it crashes if u lauch it thru the gnome system panel, like, by click a icon or by type it in the run box. but it works thru the terminal. and it even comes up with a gui abt half way threu. ftw

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
updtae: this beastly laptop has those blue usb ports and its backing up uber fast.. holy poo poo

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Smythe posted:

updtae: this beastly laptop has those blue usb ports and its backing up uber fast.. holy poo poo

That's fuckig WIn

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
yea

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

pram posted:

i just deployed bittorrent sync on coreos on digitalocean, and now i am my own kim dot com. except even fatter

post ur fatness level itt op

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
as of this evening I have an Intel Edison (Arduino kit) on my desk next to my MacBook Pro, so I guess I have Linux on my desktop now

looks like I'm going to have Mathematica on it at least

eschaton fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jan 3, 2015

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
oh, I was happy to see the Edison's wacky embedded Linux distro uses systemd

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Smythe posted:

it crashes if u lauch it thru the gnome system panel, like, by click a icon or by type it in the run box. but it works thru the terminal.

if you're clicking on icons you're linuxing wrong anyway, the terminal is the only good linux ui and the thing that sets it apart from just being like windows but worse

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Soricidus posted:

if you're clicking on icons you're linuxing wrong anyway, the terminal is the only good linux ui and the thing that sets it apart from just being like windows but worse

the terminal is the only good ui full stop

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Soricidus posted:

Sorry I didn't know it's name so I arrogantly attempted a click

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

theadder posted:

post ur fatness level itt op

you might say it's over

200 pounds

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
http://wozniak.ca/why-i-quit-os-x

pram
Jun 10, 2001

quote:

I've gone back to a desktop system running Linux (for now) and while I consider it markedly inferior to OS X in terms of usability

lmao

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

i still don't know why spotlight isn't at feature parity with quicksilver. I mean it's been like a decade, not sure why they can't get their poo poo together.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
while i consider desktop linux markedly inferior,

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the funniest thing is that he originally left linux for osx over printer issues. osx uses the exact same print daemon/drivers as linux -- cups. apple ended up buying the company: "easy software products."

cups is the easiest print daemon ever.
which still makes it worse than a trip to the dmv.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
https://twitter.com/asimplesean/status/388429760768258048

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

the "pain in the rear end" link linking to the PulseAudio wiki page made me laugh out loud

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

lol

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Smythe posted:

the "pain in the rear end" link linking to the PulseAudio wiki page made me laugh out loud

what's wrong with pulseaudio aside from ubuntu loving up deployment 8 years ago and it being poettering-ware which automatically causes certain spergs to have a breakdown?

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

The_Franz posted:

what's wrong with pulseaudio aside from ubuntu loving up deployment 8 years ago and it being poettering-ware which automatically causes certain spergs to have a breakdown?

sound muted at like 30% volume unless you edit config files, doesn't seem to be working great with chrome flash, volume sliders in apps (music player etc) affecting system volume instead of app volume (also fixed by config file).

lovely by default

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
also the lack of perceptual linearity, at least when using headphones.

0% is off
10% is ok
20% is loud
30% is loving loud
80% is pretty much just as ear shattering

they do know we use dB to measure sound volume for a reason, right? did they gently caress something up and use dBdB or some poo poo?

pushing everything to use a global system volume instead of having two levels of mixing is a decent idea i suppose, at least if apps bothered to do their own normalization (lol) but it doesn't really play well with loving YouTube's HTML5 player setting the volume to 80% (ear shattering) every single time it starts playing a video.

i think PulseAudio is one of those unfortunate programs that's actually written pretty well but assumes all the other programs that interact with it aren't written by complete fuckwits

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Wait so does that mean u can set the system volume from within html5

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

The_Franz posted:

beatrs me works fine on my machine ^_^ its just a linux sound joke.. which is classic, to me

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The_Franz posted:

it still crashes constantly after eight years of development

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
so ive had ubuntu gnome on my desktop rig w/ amouse for a long time and its owned. but i inhereted a HUGE laptop (17 inch... lol) so i put ubuntu gnome on it and the 2 finger scrolling is pretty sucky. ur fingers have2b perfectly lined up horizontally for ti to work. piss. rear end

e: apparently i can gently caress around w/ it in "dconf Editor" ... sorry for my n00b post ITT

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

i liked the parts where he regurgitates years-old beardo :supaburn: OMG APPLE IS IOS-IFYING MAC :supaburn: junk and complains about horrendously intrusive features like launchpad harshing his mellow

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Heh, I wonder what woz even uses a computer for? Last I read he was still trying to find ways to optimize the design of the apple ][.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Smythe posted:

so ive had ubuntu gnome on my desktop rig w/ amouse for a long time and its owned. but i inhereted a HUGE laptop (17 inch... lol) so i put ubuntu gnome on it and the 2 finger scrolling is pretty sucky. ur fingers have2b perfectly lined up horizontally for ti to work. piss. rear end

e: apparently i can gently caress around w/ it in "dconf Editor" ... sorry for my n00b post ITT

looks like u need gods own linux laptop, the fifteen inch retina macbook pro. you want to two finger scroll? these motherfuckin machines loving scroll, motherfucker. smooth as the glass the trackpad is made of

idk if it works right in ubundo tho

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

different wozniak, keyvin

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Mr Dog posted:

also the lack of perceptual linearity, at least when using headphones.

0% is off
10% is ok
20% is loud
30% is loving loud
80% is pretty much just as ear shattering

they do know we use dB to measure sound volume for a reason, right? did they gently caress something up and use dBdB or some poo poo?

pushing everything to use a global system volume instead of having two levels of mixing is a decent idea i suppose, at least if apps bothered to do their own normalization (lol) but it doesn't really play well with loving YouTube's HTML5 player setting the volume to 80% (ear shattering) every single time it starts playing a video.

i think PulseAudio is one of those unfortunate programs that's actually written pretty well but assumes all the other programs that interact with it aren't written by complete fuckwits

This hasn't been the case for years.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
oops wrong thread

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
looks like i'll be giving away/setting up another linux desktop for family

futurewife's little brother can really use a computer

i happen to have a old dell: pentium 4? but can run a 64-bit OS, that is perfectly fine hardware-wise but cannot run any supported version of windows since win7+ drivers do not exist for its hardware, runs kubuntu 14.04 x64 very well though

i can either do nothing and not help at all, or i can give away a linux desktop computer that works very well for everything but netflix (afaik) and windows-only games

2015 YOLOTD looking good so far

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Suspicious Dish posted:

This hasn't been the case for years.

it's the case right the hell now. and this is on arch so i'm not forever running the second-newest version of gnome due to fedora being chronically unable to get their poo poo together

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

BobHoward posted:

different wozniak, keyvin

Who the gently caress is this wozniak, and who would even look at his blog if they didn't know the one true steve's name?

Also, lol if you read.

Lysidas posted:

looks like i'll be giving away/setting up another linux desktop for family

futurewife's little brother can really use a computer

i happen to have a old dell: pentium 4? but can run a 64-bit OS, that is perfectly fine hardware-wise but cannot run any supported version of windows since win7+ drivers do not exist for its hardware, runs kubuntu 14.04 x64 very well though

i can either do nothing and not help at all, or i can give away a linux desktop computer that works very well for everything but netflix (afaik) and windows-only games

2015 YOLOTD looking good so far

Vista has two more years of extended support :getin:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i'll say this much, i'm actually quite surprised at how well gnome 3 runs on garbage tier hardware

but you'll probably want to install LXDE or some poverty-tier poo poo like that

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

keyvin posted:

Vista has two more years of extended support :getin:

yeah i have a spare win7 license that im comfortable giving away but i don't have any vista install media and i strongly suspect that "no drivers for win7" really means "no drivers for anything past xp"

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Lysidas posted:

doesn't netflix work in chrome now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

The_Franz posted:

doesn't netflix work in chrome now?

sure that would be nice but i dont netflix so i'll take you word for it