Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Agreed posted:

Yeah, he was gassing. Jones has his body fine-tuned for perfect cardio without sacrificing strength in a meaningful way, and it'd be stupid to discount his own wrestling skill - he's tall and strong and that gives him advantages, but seeing some of his lateral drops in previous fights, daaamn. Even early on he was moving people around in ways you just can't if you're only using strength. DC brought a very, very wrestling-centric sensibility to the fight, pushed the pace like Cain would have but Cormier can't bring Cain's cardio. I feel like his frame is really better for Heavyweight, but the division isn't very appealing if you can fight one lower.

If he had paced himself better, he'd have been hosed up really early on - he HAD to fight at that pace to match Jones, and for all the poo poo I enjoy talking about Jon Jones as a brand, as a human being he is an amazingly complete fighter and seems on track to be the best ever. Hell of a lot worse people to lose to, even if he makes it harder by being such a shithead.

Jones has unique leverage in a lot of situations. We'll never know if Cormier just didnt have the gas for the pace they set or if the knees and other body blows did him in. He landed a lot of those rights in the clinch, and some other good punches. He had the skills to deal with Jones but he couldn't quite get over the hump. He was matching Jones' elbows and knees with those uppercuts in the clinch to some extent. I thought he got the better of round 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

He had the skills to hang, he just gassed hard. He did start going to the body in the clinch eventually though, and if they rematch and he does that earlier he might have a better shot. He also smothered his punches when he got Jones against the cage. If he gave himself more room to work he could have landed more authoritatively, because he was definitely able to land when he was fresh.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Bundt Cake posted:

Jones has unique leverage in a lot of situations. We'll never know if Cormier just didnt have the gas for the pace they set or if the knees and other body blows did him in. He landed a lot of those rights in the clinch, and some other good punches. He had the skills to deal with Jones but he couldn't quite get over the hump. He was matching Jones' elbows and knees with those uppercuts in the clinch to some extent. I thought he got the better of round 2.

cormier said the body blows took a toll. i agree that he won round 2

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Skip My Posts posted:

cormier said the body blows took a toll. i agree that he won round 2

I meant never as in saying bad to mean cool

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Bundt Cake posted:

I meant never as in saying bad to mean cool

lol honestly he probably doesn't even truly know how much was the pace and how much was the body shots

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

If you look at Cormier's previous fights where he's used a similar heavy-aggression strategy, he's pretty much always been able to secure a takedown (or five) immediately and pressure from the top to make the other dude carry his weight. He's used to being the ring general, but Jones is just more physically imposing and took that away from him. That left him running a much faster pace than I think he was used to against an opponent providing way more resistance than we've ever seen. He looked out of his element forced to dirty box with a dude who has arms nearly a foot longer - he chased the takedown until it ran him out of gas, imo.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
DC ran out of gas so markedly because he was getting rocked very hard in the gut by stiff punches and knees repeatedly.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

canada jezus posted:

Where does dc go from here, does he try to give it another go after some wins? Does he go back to heavy?

DC goes back to KFC imo

Agreed posted:

If you look at Cormier's previous fights where he's used a similar heavy-aggression strategy, he's pretty much always been able to secure a takedown (or five) immediately and pressure from the top to make the other dude carry his weight. He's used to being the ring general, but Jones is just more physically imposing and took that away from him. That left him running a much faster pace than I think he was used to against an opponent providing way more resistance than we've ever seen. He looked out of his element forced to dirty box with a dude who has arms nearly a foot longer - he chased the takedown until it ran him out of gas, imo.

the dirty boxing was the best part of his fight imo, but it seemed clear that overall jones was the more dominant wrestler and DC couldn't keep up his pace

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

1st AD posted:

overall jones was the more dominant wrestler and DC couldn't keep up his pace

i dislike this type of phrasing because it negates the effects of getting hit really loving hard in the stomach repeatedly.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

We saw the fight too, nobody is discounting the role of him getting tenderized here. Not sure why that keeps getting harped on like folks are somehow missing it. He got hosed up, alright!

If Jones had proved even a little less effective at killing DC's wrestling, at least offensively, could have gone differently, but standing up and slugging seemed like a backup plan carried out under duress.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Marching Powder posted:

i dislike this type of phrasing because it negates the effects of getting hit really loving hard in the stomach repeatedly.

the pace thing doesnt make sense to me because cormier was pushing the pace if anything after jones initial attack

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Bundt Cake posted:

the pace thing doesnt make sense to me because cormier was pushing the pace if anything after jones initial attack

That doesn't mean it didn't wear him out. He's only gone past three rounds once and that was in a fight he was dominating from the beginning, and was fought at a much less grueling pace. He may have simply misjudged his ability to keep that pace, or may have expected Jones to slow down.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Agreed posted:

We saw the fight too, nobody is discounting the role of him getting tenderized here. Not sure why that keeps getting harped on like folks are somehow missing it. He got hosed up, alright!
Well you just posited that the pace or trying to wrestle too hard was what gassed him so quickly, and it was certainly less that than the constant stream of planned bodyblows designed to leave him sucking air. Those weren't Hendricks-brand grind clinches DC was making, they were him staying in Jones' deadzone as much as he could to neutralize the range. His only success in the fight was those uppercuts, too bad he couldn't land more of them. He shrugged off elbows with his positioning very well.

Neeber
Nov 29, 2007

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Well you just posited that the pace or trying to wrestle too hard was what gassed him so quickly, and it was certainly less that than the constant stream of planned bodyblows designed to leave him sucking air. Those weren't Hendricks-brand grind clinches DC was making, they were him staying in Jones' deadzone as much as he could to neutralize the range. His only success in the fight was those uppercuts, too bad he couldn't land more of them. He shrugged off elbows with his positioning very well.

Jones started getting a better hold of DC's wrists in the clinch by round 4 and that pretty much put an end to the uppercuts. Jones also put the fear of shallow underhooks towards the end with those shoulder crank attempts.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

He did, but the early attack had already taken its brutal toll by then so it was much easier for Jones to handfight him successfully. jackson is a bird-rear end lookin' piece of weirdo honky poo poo, but he definitely knows how to map out a 5 rounder for his best guys

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Neeber posted:

Jones started getting a better hold of DC's wrists in the clinch by round 4 and that pretty much put an end to the uppercuts. Jones also put the fear of shallow underhooks towards the end with those shoulder crank attempts.

He was able to get a better hold because Cormier didn't have the energy to fight him off. He didn't just suddenly figure out how to hold a wrist better.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
that lookin rear end nigga thread would have gone great with greg jackson as the subject

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

DC losing is a bummer but sometimes fight life isn't fair

Other times it's really good

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
I'm sad

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian
One of the judges had the 2nd for Jones and 3rd for Cormier.

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

1st AD posted:

DC goes back to KFC imo

I'm pretty sure its popeyes chicken that he is all about.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Congratulations once again to God's humble warrior, Jon Jones. Were there any fights worth catching?

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Congratulations once again to God's humble warrior, Jon Jones. Were there any fights worth catching?

the felder/castillo match. the rest: gently caress no

I woke up this morning and my first thought was Aldo vs McGregor is going to be the first Bad Blood match that won't suck. Both guys are too good at punching and kicking & not wrestlers to make it cool.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Just wanted to pop in and say no, Mark Hunt would not beat or be favored against Jon Jones. Like come on.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Hunt could beat Jones. I think JDS, Cain, and Werdum definitely would.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

LordPants, you and I had an avatar bet that I lost. Please pick your image of choice and any accompanying text that I will purchase for myself and keep for at least a month. Thank you, and gently caress Jon Jones.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Bundt Cake posted:

imo Jones was the better wrestler, however you want to cut it, and without being able to take him down and hold him there Cormier was never going to be able to keep up his pace. Cormier had success with the dirty boxing though and I got real mad when he kept trying to hit trips on a younger taller fitter Jones. Instead of, you know, just punching him a lot and trying to win via volume striking.

I guess Jones did a good job of getting wrist control in the clinch later on.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Mark Hunt is powered by Real Jesus, Hunto by 2nd round KO

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Well, Realer Jesus, not Realist Jesus that would be Catholic Jesus but Realer Jesus than Jon Jones' Jesus

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

Bluedeanie posted:

On a somewhat related note, does Chromecast work well with Fight Pass and the Fox Sports Go app? I'm going to be without a computer for a while so I want to be able to stream to my tv from my tablet, and I know Chromecast had problems with Fight Pass at least at first so I want to make sure I get the right thing.

The fightpass website works with chromecast but not the fightpass mobile app. It makes no sense but there you go.

Also Jon Jones is a doo doo face.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

EvanSchenck posted:

I think Cormier had good strikes off the clinch but JBJ has a solid chin, so Jones's body knees paid off more in the long run.

1st AD posted:

Instead of, you know, just punching him a lot and trying to win via volume striking.

Exiting the clinch, Jones would frequently just shell up with no movement or other defense. DC didn't land the long punch combos in those transitions (pretty much the only openings in range once he got afraid of Jones' straight left) that he needed to to keep Jones out of his game. I think he was committing too much per punch thinking he could rock Jones.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 4, 2015

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

MycroftXXX posted:

True

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

Jon Jones did the DX crotch chop in real life in the year 2015 to celebrate his win.

yeah i've really come around on jones

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
weird that the fat old pro wrestling guy was outmuscled and outworked by the churlish teen who actually works out

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Put this in every OP as the LHW champ pic

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Bundt Cake posted:

Cormier mentally broke after round 3, sorry all

he was getting bullied in the clinch the entire fight. when he couldn't push jones up against the cage at all you could see him just sorta give up. add to that the fact that he got hit in the flabby body approximately 100 times and he just had nothing left

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Donald Cerrone continues to be really loving cool.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
We also witnessed Herb Dean's ability to slip punches

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

MycroftXXX posted:

The fightpass website works with chromecast but not the fightpass mobile app. It makes no sense but there you go.

That's stupid. Do Apple TV or Roku work with the app?

Agreed about Jon Jones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
That wasnt a very good PPV

• Locked thread