Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I will import the Japanese BDs in a heartbeat if Toei has the gall to just make the villain Myotismon again in Tri.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Pastrymancy posted:

Yolei was supposed to be the computer kid? :confused:

Yeah, she was set up that way. Of course Miyako (and Iori) was dreadfully mismanaged so I don't blame you for not remembering. 02 really feels like there were too many cooks at work on it, and the result is something bizarrely half-baked. Say what you like about Daisuke, he's one of the only people who actually had something resembling a consistent character throughout.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Rodyle posted:

I will import the Japanese BDs in a heartbeat if Toei has the gall to just make the villain Myotismon again in Tri.

God no. Let Vamdemon/Myotismon just die already.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
The movie Diablomon Strikes Back is 02 in a nutshell. The original kids do everything important and Ken and Davis can only save the day because Matt and Tai are there.

Cody barely even appears and has one line of dialogue, I think.

Too bad the radio drama where they all swap Digimentals and Wormmon evolves into a pink fairy never came over here.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
If I'm just looking for a digimon game with lots of cool -mons to level up and fight with, and I don't particularly care about The Lore (the fewer cutscenes the better), which one should I get?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I remember Digimon World Dusk/Dawn for the DS being pretty good.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Yeah, Dawn/Dusk should cover you there through sheer volume, though be warned that you will be going through a lot of grinding. On the other hand, that grinding is part of a levelling system that basically lets anything be a viable option, so that slightly balances it out.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Rodyle posted:

I laugh at you if you think this isn't exactly what's going to happen. Adventure had it, 02 had it, Xros Wars paid homage to it (NeoVamdemon is super cool though), and I was shocked when Vamdemon and his evolutions were basically made cannon fodder in Hunters.

What I'm saying is, go preparing the money.

Omnicrom posted:

Yeah, she was set up that way. Of course Miyako (and Iori) was dreadfully mismanaged so I don't blame you for not remembering. 02 really feels like there were too many cooks at work on it, and the result is something bizarrely half-baked. Say what you like about Daisuke, he's one of the only people who actually had something resembling a consistent character throughout.

IIRC, this is exactly what happened. 02 ended up with a lot of writers, which is why there were so many half-assed/dropped plots during the second half. Dagomon comes to mind, Konaka wasn't allowed to continue and so it never amounted to anything. This, however, also ended up with Konaka getting his own series, and Tamers is the peak of Digimon anime, so it was well worth it.

I'd say Ken's character was even more consistent than Daisuke's. Daisuke had episodes in which he showed doubt (the Deltamon episode comes to mind), which was bizarrely OOC and blatantly there because the episode couldn't really continue otherwise. Apart from that, his character is consistent in that he never undergoes any kind of growth outside of one chapter of V-Tamer (which is, sadly, noncanon to 02, because god it made Daisuke likable). Ken's character arc is very clear (probably even more clear with knowledge of the WonderSwan games) and, oddly enough for 02, very well executed, and continues until the very last episode. Ken alone is why I can't ever call 02 bad, it was a mess with lots of flaws and built on top of blatant plot holes (the Crests thing makes absolutely no sense), but one character got an arc that might surpass Tamers in sheer depth. Also the Kaiser, Arukenimon and Mummymon were cool villains, and Tommy Wiseau was okay. Vamdemon was horrible, Demon and Dagomon never lived up to their potential because of the flaws already stated, but basically half the villains were cool.

Countblanc posted:

If I'm just looking for a digimon game with lots of cool -mons to level up and fight with, and I don't particularly care about The Lore (the fewer cutscenes the better), which one should I get?

Considering that nothing from Lost Evolution onwards was translated, I will back the rest up on Dawn/Dusk. I will also state again to prepare to grind, but this is a flaw of basically every Digimon game, and I guess Dawn/Dusk is still better than Digimon World 3 on that (as much as I did enjoy World 3 because...I was a weird kid, I guess, I can't tolerate it now)

If I have to say one game I truly think is good about Digimon, I fully recommend Digital Card Battle for the PS1. It is a really fun game and even now I enjoy it immensely. It's a card game though, not a RPG, but still, it's really good, which is something I can't say about any other Digimon game (Rumble Arena's a cool fighter though, RA2 is not)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I liked how the middle part of 02 was just steveblummon wandering around and wondering why he was even a character

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I started watching Digimon as a kid right at the time that DarkWarGreymon was created and was just wandering around being angsty. It was the strangest cartoon plotline I'd ever seen. Got me hooked on the series.

And then at the end of 02, when MaloMiyotismon horribly kills his two henchman who had been comic relief for a long time. Man, that was disturbing.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
^^^
Nothing tops the episode where Ken gets kidnapped and tortured in the back of a semi. That was dark as poo poo.

Endorph posted:

I liked how the middle part of 02 was just steveblummon wandering around and wondering why he was even a character

That character had so little relevance to the plot I forgot he existed. He also died in a way that was so meaningless it actually hindered the people he was trying to help.

tom bob-ombadil fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jan 4, 2015

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

dragon_pamcake posted:

Too bad the radio drama where they all swap Digimentals and Wormmon evolves into a pink fairy never came over here.

Being a hopeless Pedant I'd like to clarify that dragon_pamcake is not saying that the swapping Digimentals made Wormmon into a pink fairy, that's the digimon he evolves into with the Digimental of Kindness.

dragon_pamcake posted:

That character had so little relevance to the plot I forgot he existed. He also died in a way that was so meaningless it actually hindered the people he was trying to help.

Ugh, Black WarGreymon was the Nadir of 02. His death was utterly pathetic yet everything that waste of time deserved. The best part about his death is that it didn't mean a drat thing. He didn't actually hinder anyone because the show implies that Oikawa would have ended up in that pseudo-space anyways, if you go back and watch that episode compare it with Adventure 99 because it turns out Oikawa chose the wrong card.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

He stopped Cody's grandfather from dying though. So that was nice of him.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Omnicrom posted:

Ugh, Black WarGreymon was the Nadir of 02. His death was utterly pathetic yet everything that waste of time deserved. The best part about his death is that it didn't mean a drat thing. He didn't actually hinder anyone because the show implies that Oikawa would have ended up in that pseudo-space anyways, if you go back and watch that episode compare it with Adventure 99 because it turns out Oikawa chose the wrong card.

It's a really nice detail. Oikawa is being controlled by Vamdemon, and the card door was originally Vamdemon's as well. Vamdemon absolutely needed Oikawa to get to the World of Dreams, so he had him screw up the door opening by using the Agumon card instead of the Gomamon one, forcing him into a world he did not want to go through instead of the Digital World.

For all the last part of 02 was bad, I really liked that.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
As much of a hot mess as 02 was, that callback was pretty great. I remember seeing that and immediately remembering that the Agumon card was the wrong one and feeling proud of myself for knowing stuff was going to be messed up.

Might as well go about it, but for me it's:

Tamers>Adventure>Savers>>Xros Wars>>Frontier>>>>>>>02>>>>>Young Hunters

Frontier would've ranked up above Xros Wars if they hadn't repeated the same episode eight times near the end in which they go back someplace they visited before, have decent character moments and then everyone sits back because only Takuya and Koji can actually fight at this point and the Royal Knights whoop their rear end a bit less than last time but still get all the data, thus the mons we just remembered are boned.
Savers was generic anime as hell, but still pretty nice, Murata is one of my favorite villains in the franchise. Everyone has said what needs to be said about 02 and Young Hunters.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

quote:

Murata is one of my favorite villains in the franchise.

Kurata.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

...it's been a while, ok?

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
Going to join the chorus on Savers, was so exited everytime the fansubbing group got a new episode out back then. :allears:
The first meeting between Masaru and Agumon sold the series so hard for me.

Also the first time I saw Digimon was the Agapio Racing Team dub. :suicide: Even as a kid that dub was so bad, still watched the show.

Zernach fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jan 4, 2015

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

How are the Japanese versions of the films they cut together to make the digimon movie? That's probably the only digimon thing I watched when I was younger that I'd rewatch now.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dragon_pamcake posted:

^^^
Nothing tops the episode where Ken gets kidnapped and tortured in the back of a semi. That was dark as poo poo.
The dub of that scene had the best line in the history of fiction

"Just imagine you're a box of cereal... and I'm scanning your barcode."

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
02 is bullshit because Sora ended up with Matt and devastated kid me.

Savers is the poo poo because he punches giant digimon to digivolve his partner and everyone is always like "Holy shitsnacks that kid just punched a giant dragon in the face and it flinched."

Edit: Super disappointed that Savers Agumon didn't become BanchoGreymon because how awesome would that be

SpazmasterX fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jan 4, 2015

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Red Bones posted:

How are the Japanese versions of the films they cut together to make the digimon movie? That's probably the only digimon thing I watched when I was younger that I'd rewatch now.

Wouldn't know with regards to the third one, but the first two overall play better in the Japanese, from how the dub generally approached trying to be 'witty', or tried (and failed) at plot narration and arc welding, with the bonus of the soundtrack being less American Summer Adventure due to the lack of pop songs that for some reason was a bit of a thing around the late 90s/turn of the Millennium. Mind you, there are more than a few moments that I think the dub works more than the original, but I suspect is due to various biases based on not only the show, but also given I'm a Brit. Omega/Omnimon's birth for example: In the japanese version, its an angelic choir, probably meant to invoke the idea of a sudden divine intervention - ie, it is literally deus ex machina. In the english version, its a rising orchestra, building towards a climax as a new champion rises to face the foe, playing on familiar tunes to seem bigger than ever. Whilst I can appreciate the former, the latter works for me more, a heroic turnaround after the movie had previous beaten the poo poo out of WarGreymon and MetalGarurumon, kind of like the cherry on top of the franchise at the time. And I mean, really, that has to be the moment most fans remember the best.

Though for the life of me, I wish I could find the rendition of the digimon theme they used during the fight between Greymon and Parrotmon. Its not the rap, and its not the normal version either since there's bits of orchestra in it, but goddamn I love how they put it to the scene. The tone is certainly quite different to the original, but I think it works more, for me, having viewed it after the fact as an origins episode. It fits as kinda where the story of the franchise really 'begins', what with it being how the digidestined were chosen.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Man, Requiem is my favorite part of the original Digimon OST. I definitely prefer that over what the dub movie did with Omegamon's introduction.

Fun fact: They used that track during Takuya's evolution into Ardhamon in Frontier, where he fought BlackSeraphimon. It's just as epic there too.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Red Bones posted:

Movies 1 and 2 are actually really good. Movie 3 is weaker. In general they're played less for gags and tend to be longer with a much better soundtrack.

Movie 1 in the Japanese is longer with less dialogue, but it also has a real feel of childlike awe and whimsy about it. It has a soundtrack that perfectly captures a sense of awe and discovery. Worth watching. Movie 2 was a more standard style action anime movie, but it also had a good soundtrack, excellent animation, and good performances from the cast. Also worth watching.

Movie 3 honestly wasn't all that good in the original, it was a little too long, a little confused, and like a lot of stuff in 02 made the cast look weak and incompetent. The final battle is basically 20 minutes of the heroes getting smacked around which isn't all that interesting to watch. However you should still go back and take a look if you're at all interested, the American Dub cut about a third of the movie including a pretty major plot thread. Additionally while the plotting bombed it has a mesmerizing soundtrack and really amazing cinematography. There's a real sense of loneliness and emptiness all throughout that movie to tie perfectly into Wallace's story, and the backgrounds and settings are amazing portraits of Americana. I say watch it yourself, the movie looks and feels really great even if it isn't that good.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

How was the Data Squad game on the PS2? Anyone played it? I feel like playing through a Digimon game but I don't know if I want to go through Dusk/Dawn again.

...I'm probably going to go through Dusk/Dawn again. They're worse then Korean MMOs when it comes to the grinding, but they still have neat battle systems and manage to be charming despite their many flaws.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Dexie posted:

How was the Data Squad game on the PS2? Anyone played it? I feel like playing through a Digimon game but I don't know if I want to go through Dusk/Dawn again.

...I'm probably going to go through Dusk/Dawn again. They're worse then Korean MMOs when it comes to the grinding, but they still have neat battle systems and manage to be charming despite their many flaws.

Don't even bother with Data Squad, it's a really bad game. The battle system itself is weird, it's extremely grindy, the battles are slow and not fun, the later bosses feel endless with how much HP they have...

I'd stick to Dawn/Dusk, for whatever flaws they have they aren't nearly as bad as Data Squad. Or as Digimon Masters Online, I played that for a while then quit out of sheer rage because my eggs kept breaking and I kept losing the Dragon data I spent so much time farming. I just wanted a loving Guilmon, game! Is that too much to ask?!

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Blaze Dragon posted:

Don't even bother with Data Squad, it's a really bad game. The battle system itself is weird, it's extremely grindy, the battles are slow and not fun, the later bosses feel endless with how much HP they have...

I'd stick to Dawn/Dusk, for whatever flaws they have they aren't nearly as bad as Data Squad. Or as Digimon Masters Online, I played that for a while then quit out of sheer rage because my eggs kept breaking and I kept losing the Dragon data I spent so much time farming. I just wanted a loving Guilmon, game! Is that too much to ask?!

I played Digimon Masters Online for way longer then I should have. It's the very definition of 'Korean grindfest' but for some dumb reason I stuck with it. I probably would have stayed with it longer, but the awful, awful translation ended up pushing me away.

The egg system was stupid too. I eventually just bought a drat Veemon egg off the cash shop to save myself some time and effort.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Digimon the movie is my loving poo poo. The dub is definitely was makes this series. I hated season 3 or tamers as a kid, but if I watch it now should I watch it dubbed or in japanese?

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Digimon the movie is my loving poo poo. The dub is definitely was makes this series. I hated season 3 or tamers as a kid, but if I watch it now should I watch it dubbed or in japanese?

agreed, except i really liked tamers even as a kid. digimon the movie is so perfect, i almost feel like it was made just for me. as for watching tamers, i've only ever seen it dubbed so i say go with that.

despite my love of the first 3 seasons, i never watched anything after except for a small part of frontier which turned me off instantly. turning into digimon is so bad, they should always be partners, in my opinion. has the dub at least stayed consistent in quality for the later seasons?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
I want to know why the power curve was completely unfair to secondary characters for four seasons before they finally went "Huh maybe someone besides the kid in goggles and his broody rival should get the strongest/unique digivolution or mode change."

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I really liked the second half of 02 as a kid because Oikawa was voiced by Jamieson Price, and I could listen to him wax on poetically about random poo poo all day. :allears:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

I really liked the second half of 02 as a kid because Oikawa was voiced by Jamieson Price, and I could listen to him wax on poetically about random poo poo all day. :allears:

To be honest, the dood can read a phone book and it'd captivate me.

Though it wasn't enough to save 02 from being far more trouble than it's honestly worth.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 6, 2015

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

As someone who has never watched the US dub and everything he's read about it makes him sick, I have to wonder why people defend it so much. I have to defend my own Latin American dub though, directly from the Japanese version and masterfully dubbed, though with a bit of confusion over which names to use (they always stuck to the same, but it was a weird mix of original and dub names). Apparently Savers was dubbed from the US version, but by that time I was already watching subs anyways.

SpazmasterX posted:

I want to know why the power curve was completely unfair to secondary characters for four seasons before they finally went "Huh maybe someone besides the kid in goggles and his broody rival should get the strongest/unique digivolution or mode change."

All four main characters (Takato, Ruki, Jen, Ryo) in Tamers get Matrix Evolution/a Mega form, as does Impmon. While Takato gets a form beyond it in Crimson Mode, it's used once and just everyone reaching Mega was a massive step in the right direction from how main character-centric Adventure and 02 were. And then Frontier was even worse, and Savers gave all four mains the super mode and it was great.

And then Xros Wars was weird and gave two out of three a Super Evolution. Poor Nene. At least the manga rectified it and even Akari and Zenjirou get to evolve Digimon.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

SpazmasterX posted:

Tamers was pretty fair about it, Guilmon's final power up with the dead spaceship didn't seem that much stronger than most megas, and the main three kids got the mega form, some rival dude that didn't show up often got it and the broody edgy 'mon got it as well, just people that didn't get digimon 'till halfway through the series missed out on Mega.

Then Frontier was the worst about it when the second-to-last power up actually required goggles kid and broody rival to actively steal all power from the rest of the gang to fight.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Blaze Dragon posted:

As someone who has never watched the US dub and everything he's read about it makes him sick, I have to wonder why people defend it so much. I have to defend my own Latin American dub though, directly from the Japanese version and masterfully dubbed, though with a bit of confusion over which names to use (they always stuck to the same, but it was a weird mix of original and dub names). Apparently Savers was dubbed from the US version, but by that time I was already watching subs anyways.
The English dubs for adventure and 02 forced in some lame jokes and awkward music cues, but the Tamers dub is actually really good and treats the source material with respect. There's still some added lines, but it's nothing that ruins anything, and a lot of the jokes actually land.

And the dubs for the first two seasons aren't really bad. They have problems, but they were faithful where it mattered, for the most part. poo poo, they were even pretty upfront about the fact that Wizardmon was dead as a doornail, from what I remember.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The final boss for adventure complained about only having crust to eat when everyone else gets the whole pizza and that is wonderful, actually.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Terper posted:

The final boss for adventure complained about only having crust to eat when everyone else gets the whole pizza and that is wonderful, actually.

on the other hand HEY DIGIMON HEY DIGMON

CHAMPIONS OF THE DIGITAL WORLD

HEY DIGIMON HEY DIGIMON

MONSTER FRIENDS TO THE BOYS AND GIRLS

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Blaze Dragon posted:

Sup Latin American dub buddy :hfive:

Endorph posted:

HEY DIGIMON HEY DIGIMON

The latin american spanish version of Butterfly is better :colbert:

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Endorph posted:

HEY DIGIMON HEY DIGIMON

I agree. Those are great lyrics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Sup Latin American dub buddy :hfive:

The latin american spanish version of Butterfly is better :colbert:

:hfive:

If anyone hasn't listened to them, the Latin American songs are really, really good. Here, I'll link you to them, it was really nice to hear them back again myself too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=565i1ZMak4A