Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Will this guy be back and in this outfit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Kelp Plankton posted:

The worst ones were "do a thing and I'll donate X money!" so everyone feels obligated to do it because money for charity is the goal even if it's something stupid or disruptive, and there's no way to know if that person is even going to actually follow through or not.

I feel like there should be a "in good taste" rule for things like this, but then again you can't go on the honor system since it's the internet. So I guess it really comes down to the donation readers screening things correctly.

There were plenty in past events that were just fine. But then there's poo poo like "Slap X runner (while playing) and I'll donate Y" That's just disruptive. But simple things like catchphrases form their streams or long standing traditions like giving people hype are fine.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So Blueglass is gonna be there right? His entire life must revolve around the twice yearly marathons. He has nothing else going for him.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So Blueglass is gonna be there right? His entire life must revolve around the twice yearly marathons. He has nothing else going for him.

What are those last two sentences based on?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

beep by grandpa posted:

What are those last two sentences based on?

Nothing really but I'd probably put money on it.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

please sticky

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

MrBims posted:

he's there but the new rule is no cosplay unless it's related to the run.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

MrBims posted:

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Tracula posted:

Just imagine this year how many donation comments are probably gonna mention poo poo like Gamergate :v:
Well, there's a blacklist for stuff in comments that ensure they don't get read (and probably won't even reach the ticker), so that's not going to be much of a problem.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Tracula posted:

Just imagine this year how many donation comments are probably gonna mention poo poo like Gamergate :v:

Yeah like the person who is reading off donations is actually going to comment on that garbage.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

they've been working to trim down on things read out over time anyways, so don't really expect way too much to be read unless it's a big donation or just a couple benign sentences every now and then about how the speedrunners are doing a great thing or whatever the hell

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

The benign stuff is bad enough, comments about friends and relatives dying from cancer interspersed with the superficial triviality of gaming as a hobby sort of depresses me every time.

Still looking forward to AGDQ, but the donation comments are not a high point.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

The benign stuff is bad enough, comments about friends and relatives dying from cancer interspersed with the superficial triviality of gaming as a hobby sort of depresses me every time.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I basically watch on mute because apparently everyone is dying of cancer and it makes me sad.

E-Tap
Jan 4, 2004

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

There's a lot of good ones I really like though. Such as when someone leaves a comment that the runner knows personally either through stream following or otherwise and acknowledged by the runner with genuine appreciation of their support, saying how far back they go or stuff they did to help the runner or something like that which really reinforces the community atmosphere the event has.

Or when someone knows the runner and tries to mess with them in harmless fashion or does so by accident. Like during Striker's SNES Empire Strikes Back run at SGDQ 2014, someone put in like a $50 or $55 donation with just the comment "Hey striker. Sup." which was funny enough to break his focus momentarily. There's another that I can't remember the run it was during or the runner at the time, it might've been during a Diddy Kong Racing run, but the runner in question said something about Pipsy sucking or something early on, but the exchange when the donation came in was something like:

"Best of luck in your marathon run, it's a good cause you're working for" with the reader just asks if the runner prefers to save or kill the animals in Super Metroid. I think the runner chose to kill the animals, then the reader continued the comment:
"In that case, put this $10 towards saving the animals. See [runner_name]? That's what you get for trying to talk bad about Pipsy."

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

snodig posted:

Here we go again!

Did that guy actually steal the cat last time because that would be funny

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Anime Curator posted:

Yeah like the person who is reading off donations is actually going to comment on that garbage.

lol of course they would. Gamers have strong opinions on bad things.

Baron FU
Apr 3, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Nothing really but I'd probably put money on it.

Blueglass is cooler than you.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

SeXReX posted:

the new rule is no cosplay unless it's related to the run.

Goddamnit and no Glover race this year :argh:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SeXReX posted:

he's there but the new rule is no cosplay unless it's related to the run.
does that apply to plushies too

will the touhou plushies no longer be there

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

KennyMan666 posted:

Well, there's a blacklist for stuff in comments that ensure they don't get read (and probably won't even reach the ticker), so that's not going to be much of a problem.

Unfortunately, if Gamergate is blacklisted, expect the event to be DDoS'd and at least some attempt at doxxing, swatting or otherwise abusing the organizers. That's what they've done with every other charity that has politely asked them to back off, including Ablegamers. They were sending a pretty solid stream of death threats to that guy and his family for a while.

poo poo is loving depressing. Who does that over videogames?

snodig
Oct 5, 2014
gently caress Gamergate.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Endorph posted:

does that apply to plushies too

will the touhou plushies no longer be there

IIRC those actually weren't supposed to be anywhere near the couch last time anyway

Dominic White posted:

Unfortunately, if Gamergate is blacklisted, expect the event to be DDoS'd and at least some attempt at doxxing, swatting or otherwise abusing the organizers. That's what they've done with every other charity that has politely asked them to back off, including Ablegamers.

Yeah I'm pretty sure they're not going to actively say 'hey we're not going to read comments about gg' for that reason, but they will most likely just filter that stuff out from donation comments alongside troll comments and stuff that sounds like a line of twitch streamchat complete with eighty emotes. The only way it'll get on stream is if a runner tries to pull that poo poo themselves and I really hope that doesn't happen

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Five hours to go!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Don't worry folks, GDQ is nothing if not an innovator, and the embarrassing poo poo pulled by runners and donation comments that will invariably result in the premature death of this thread will be, if nothing else, unpredictable. Your expectations will be surpassed, probably by way of clipping through a wall, and overcome by something way weirder and dumber that will be joked about for the entire year between marathons. And you will hate it.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

In all honestly, I'm gonna miss the silly costumes and touhou plushies. *GDQ is a carnival of shameless nerdery, and that's okay.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

As long as we have Accordion Guy back, the lack of cosplay and plushies doesn't matter much.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Dominic White posted:

In all honestly, I'm gonna miss the silly costumes and touhou plushies. *GDQ is a carnival of shameless nerdery, and that's okay.

Yeah, it kinda seems weird that the organizers try so hard to make the event where lots of nerds play video games fast look less nerdy :v: But I guess at a point where you bring in a six zero sum into an account of a charity, you feel the need to look more "serious". I can get behind that, especially since it seems to go towards production values.

All in all, three Hours to go.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Pretty sure the balding bespectacled Indian fellow is there in the background for every game and I have no idea what he even runs.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

Pretty sure the balding bespectacled Indian fellow is there in the background for every game and I have no idea what he even runs.
male pattern baldness

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Speaking of goofy nerd outfits, the Yetee shirts are up. This year's variant on the whole Save The Animals/Kill The Animals thing is pretty clever...

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Quoting so I remember who to blame for tonight's nightmares.

Dominic White posted:

Unfortunately, if Gamergate is blacklisted, expect the event to be DDoS'd and at least some attempt at doxxing, swatting or otherwise abusing the organizers. That's what they've done with every other charity that has politely asked them to back off, including Ablegamers. They were sending a pretty solid stream of death threats to that guy and his family for a while.

Nerds.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jan 4, 2015

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Dominic White posted:

Ugh of all things I could see happening I'd bet on swatting since that seemed to get a surge in popularity during 2014.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
If we're done stressing to the point of hair loss over hypotheticals and what-ifs, here's a couple of things to chuck in the OP: l'Restream Français and the schedule for it's, shall we say, équipe de commentateurs.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Only one hour to go!

Also putting restreams in OP yeah

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
http://www.twitch.tv/gamesdonequick

highlights starting now!!!!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The VODs thread is up on Reddit.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
is there a google doc showing the donation incentives and the amounts toward the goals

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I've gotta make a 2.5 hour drive back home today and I don't know when to leave :ohdear:. Maybe Banjo-Kazooie...

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Eonwe posted:

is there a google doc showing the donation incentives and the amounts toward the goals
There's the tracker for that: https://gamesdonequick.com/tracker/12

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

thats what I was looking for! Thanks

• Locked thread