Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

it makes me mad that draper lost more than I will ever make on something as dumb as bitcoin. like I can stomach it if a thousand nerds lose a couple grand, but ten million? ugh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

theflyingexecutive posted:

it makes me mad that draper lost more than I will ever make on something as dumb as bitcoin. like I can stomach it if a thousand nerds lose a couple grand, but ten million? ugh

look at it this way, when very rich but very stupid people become very poor, usually someone else becomes very rich because of it

i like to call it rear end to mouth trickle-across economics

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

My favorite part of this is that the Winklevoss twins look like morons and are presumably losing a lot of money.

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

triple sulk posted:

My favorite part of this is that the Winklevoss twins are a bunch of morons and have lost a lot of money.

ftfy

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Ursine Asylum posted:

look at it this way, when very rich but very stupid people become very poor, usually someone else becomes very rich because of it

i like to call it rear end to mouth trickle-across economics

yeah but he's still going to be rich at the end of it and the only people profiting off of his stupidity are the feds and other bitlords

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
so? both of those ultimately result in broader wealth distributions than tim draper just stashing twenty million dollars in his mattress, much less actually investing it wisely

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

the only people profiting off of his stupidity are the feds

true

and other bitlords

they played the lottery and won, and it was only a couple hundred more hours wasted time investment than an actual lottery ticket

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
[–]CoinRookie 3 points 8 hours ago*
I've bought alllll the "cheep coinz" - but they've all lost tremendous value... their equivalent fiat value is down about 55% over 13.5 months (avg. cost of about USD$640)

I stopped buying about 2 weeks before Christmas, and haven't bought again since, and I will only buy again (in bulk) when we plumb the double digits, as I personally have a use for bitcoin, and wouldn't mind buying up a significant amount if they were to hit $30 again. It's an unpopular opinion, but I'm very close to the mining industry, and cost to mine a bitcoin, all things being equal, will drop by 70-80% this year - so - I might get lucky with some sub-$100 coins in 7-8 months time.

For now, I just have to deal with all of the collateral damage of being involved in Bitcoin, from losing friends, to losing professional credibility, to the plethora of health problems arising from lack of sleep and inability to have an appetite.

Bitcoin did truly ruin my life in 2014 - but deep down, I know that it is one of the very few hopes for the survival of the human species, and even though I'm smoking huge amounts of hopium, I wish that it will one day succeed. I consider my involvement in Bitcoin as a charitable pursuit to try and fix the cancerous world financial system and the gross inequality we see in the world. Ironic, I know, as BTC is the most unequal system known to man at this point.

All I see are the benefits, but in reality, it has turned out to be quite the facade / scam run by the early adopters, preying on the emotions and hopes of people who want the world to change positively.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

triple sulk posted:

My favorite part of this is that the Winklevoss twins look like morons and are presumably losing a lot of money.

Winklevoss aquired a bunch of their coins before the second bubble at sub $100 price points.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

PCjr sidecar posted:

the infinite is possible at marinecoin

Anything is possible with Zombocoin

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

RubberJohnny posted:

[–]CoinRookie 3 points 8 hours ago*
I've bought alllll the "cheep coinz" - but they've all lost tremendous value... their equivalent fiat value is down about 55% over 13.5 months (avg. cost of about USD$640)

I stopped buying about 2 weeks before Christmas, and haven't bought again since, and I will only buy again (in bulk) when we plumb the double digits, as I personally have a use for bitcoin, and wouldn't mind buying up a significant amount if they were to hit $30 again. It's an unpopular opinion, but I'm very close to the mining industry, and cost to mine a bitcoin, all things being equal, will drop by 70-80% this year - so - I might get lucky with some sub-$100 coins in 7-8 months time.

For now, I just have to deal with all of the collateral damage of being involved in Bitcoin, from losing friends, to losing professional credibility, to the plethora of health problems arising from lack of sleep and inability to have an appetite.

Bitcoin did truly ruin my life in 2014 - but deep down, I know that it is one of the very few hopes for the survival of the human species, and even though I'm smoking huge amounts of hopium, I wish that it will one day succeed. I consider my involvement in Bitcoin as a charitable pursuit to try and fix the cancerous world financial system and the gross inequality we see in the world. Ironic, I know, as BTC is the most unequal system known to man at this point.

All I see are the benefits, but in reality, it has turned out to be quite the facade / scam run by the early adopters, preying on the emotions and hopes of people who want the world to change positively.

has anyone said stockholm syndrome coin yet?

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

vanilla slimfast posted:

has anyone said stockholm syndrome coin yet?

has anyone said battered wife coin yet?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

My wifecoin left me that sperm hacking whore. But im gonna get a hotter altwife who believes in my silly dreams

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

so ESPN caused this crash simply by cashing out their bitcoin?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

PleasureKevin posted:

Perhaps Microsoft can put the people behind MCC on the case and really get to the bottom of this

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

vanilla slimfast posted:

has anyone said battered wife coin yet?

Ray Rice coins

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Alan Smithee posted:

My wifecoin left me that sperm hacking whore. But im gonna get a hotter altwife who believes in my silly dreams

piece on the sidechain

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Don Lapre posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if we saw bitcoin sitting north of $2500 within the next 90 days.

I wouldn't be surprised if the whole btc market was worth that by then

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012
smokin that hopium

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

bitcoin goes up: "oh gently caress yeah take that poors I'm going to be ruling class yall doubted me well grab on these haters"

bitcoin goes down: "I consider my endeavors to be the charitable pursuit of financial equality for the good of all mankind"

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

"gentlemen it has been a privilege playing with you tonight, now let's perform 'oh god oh god I reverse mortgaged my house for this in e minor'"

Banzai 3
May 8, 2007
I'm only here for the weekly 24 bitchfest.
Pillbug
has anyone called the hodlers butt clenchers yet?

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

has anyone come up with any game of thrones jokes besides HODOL and The Mountain Gox yet?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
i haven't seen this posted here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjk26AAvJ38

a video about paycoin featuring some great stock and stolen photos

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen

quote:

You know what’s going to destroy Bitcoin? Nothing, that’s what. Maybe a nuclear war or a giant meteor could do it, but not much else. The problem with Bitcoiners is that they think Bitcoin is fragile when it is really antifragile. It is no coincidence that Bitcoin keeps surviving every crisis. It survives because it is immortal.

http://nakamotoinstitute.org/mempool/dont-panic/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2-MKq27hIQ

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

AlbieQuirky posted:

piece on the sidechain
7/10

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

FCKGW posted:

Winklevoss aquired a bunch of their coins before the second bubble at sub $100 price points.

they did an interview in the runup before the $266 bubble where they claimed they picked up ~100,000 bitcoins from june 2012 to january 2013 at $8-$15 apiece. who knows what they did since that second bubble but if they threw in the towel it'd pretty quickly crash everything

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

reminder that the entire bitcoin network relies on a dwindling pool of volunteer pcs

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

The Management posted:

so under the most ideal conditions and not considering miner profits or transaction fees or bandwidth costs of the price of hardware it costs $150 million per year just to keep the network running. all to do what a single database running on a single computer can handle in transaction processing.

what does that make the true cost per transaction?

according to blockchain.info there are around 70000 transactions/day so about $5.50. even if the network was running at 7 tx/sec it'd be like 65 cents. the current transaction fees are massively subsidized by the block rewards but nobody ever seems to want to talk about that for some mysterious reason

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

ArchWizard posted:

has anyone come up with any game of thrones jokes besides HODOL and The Mountain Gox yet?

master of the coin
the buywall
the bearwhale and the virgin basement dweller fair

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

surebet posted:

it does makes it worthwhile again ( percentually )

mods

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

sub 270 in the last few hours.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

fermun posted:

they did an interview in the runup before the $266 bubble where they claimed they picked up ~100,000 bitcoins from june 2012 to january 2013 at $8-$15 apiece. who knows what they did since that second bubble but if they threw in the towel it'd pretty quickly crash everything

That's why they're trying to launch that ETF. pass the bag onto others without selling onto bitcoin markets. They're trying to calculate the value in the same way bitcoiners do. total bitcoins times current price equals value. No accounting for the lack of liquidity and market depth.

The SEC should take one look at the bearwhale situation and see that anybody with 1/10th of the number of bitcoins the winkletwinks have can massively manipulate the market they're trying to base the ETF on, and call in a FEMA hitsquad to take out everybody involved.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

PleasureKevin posted:

RIP Stuart Scott and bitcoin

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

fermun posted:

they'll say they bought their million buttcoins at whatever low price point makes them look good because they announced that they spent $11m literally at the height of the 266 bubble

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Boxturret posted:

i haven't seen this posted here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjk26AAvJ38

a video about paycoin featuring some great stock and stolen photos

thank you fiverr dot com

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

hard to say who the straw man is in this straw man comic

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

i dont get these

they are too dumb to take seriously, and simultaneously too dumb to be parody

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

triple sulk posted:

So, basically, a regular day for them?

• Locked thread