Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
I think all that motorcycle jousting tonight did something to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Maybe you can see how many objects you can hit while you fly off your bike?

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Zenzizenzizenzic posted:

The gang attack in Sandy Shores might possibly be the most annoying thing on this planet earth.

This. The location makes for a decent firefight, but it's just too drat annoying to start the drat attack when all I wanted was a drat Cargobob!

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Jonesy posted:

I've got a new favorite dirty racin tactic. If you're in a gta race, shoot the gently caress out of everyone's tires. Everyone goes for the explosives and all that, nobody expects to get hobbled right out the gate :dukedog:

Doesn't really help when everyone's tires are bulletproof anyway.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

I'm getting a lot of races where custom vehicles are off :shrug:

It might be a little more common with the post-Christmas wave since everybody wants to drive a supercar but nobody can afford an adder/entity/zentorno. I'm currently on the fence about picking up a zentorno; I love the handling but I only have $1.8M and I'm afraid there won't be any fun new glitches for 360

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

N is for Nipples posted:

Only if custom cars are allowed, which the host can change... I've seen about a 75/25 split with custom/not during my public racing sessions, though.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

N is for Nipples posted:

This is why you run GTA races with stock cars.

This doesn't really matter. GTA races are totally broken right now because of proximity mines. Get any kind of an early lead and you just gently caress the pack of racers behind you into a hole in the ground. It's even worse on point to point races.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

BitBasher posted:

This doesn't really matter. GTA races are totally broken right now because of proximity mines. Get any kind of an early lead and you just gently caress the pack of racers behind you into a hole in the ground. It's even worse on point to point races.

But if you're way behind you can also gently caress over other people as long as it's a multi lap race.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Team GTA races on stock dirt bikes are rad

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

BitBasher posted:

I know, it's awesome isn't it? Every GTA race I've done lately all I do is use proximity mines and make kids mad, poo poo rules.

Cold Milk Bottle
Nov 19, 2012
The pre-order bonus seems to do this weird thing where multiple accounts can use it on one ps4 for SP and it tells you it's been added to your online bank as well on either account but it doesn't apply online.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Cold Milk Bottle posted:

The pre-order bonus seems to do this weird thing where multiple accounts can use it on one ps4 for SP and it tells you it's been added to your online bank as well on either account but it doesn't apply online.

Worked for the one (2013) GTAO account I brought in actually

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

What is this "Host On Call" bullshit? A race lobby with nearly 20 players waiting several minutes before quitting for a host to join.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

geeves posted:

What is this "Host On Call" bullshit? A race lobby with nearly 20 players waiting several minutes before quitting for a host to join.

As far as I can tell, it means that someone joined a mission on call and then everyone else got disconnected before it could start.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Nintendo Kid posted:

As far as I can tell, it means that someone joined a mission on call and then everyone else got disconnected before it could start.

I did Phone -> Race, was the 2nd to join and the other 18 or so joined slowly over the next minute. Host was on call from the beginning. After a minute or so of waiting, everyone was saying they were dropping and did.

On another note, today's crate is Bounce FM.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

geeves posted:

I did Phone -> Race, was the 2nd to join and the other 18 or so joined slowly over the next minute. Host was on call from the beginning. After a minute or so of waiting, everyone was saying they were dropping and did.

It doesn't matter when you joined, that guy joined a race on call, and ended up having everyone else get disconnected before it started. Then the game continued auto-inviting with him as a host.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I am like permabroke in this game :saddowns:

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol
I have the PS4 version. With my fuckload going on I'm not sure when I'll be on. But I'd love to get the band back together.

Quicksand_Jesus
Dec 19, 2005

Lasagna Miracle
Anytime dude. I've friended you, and I'm sure you're friends with Cash. We're all on pretty much daily in the evening.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.
I bought a new router tonight to replace the current setup in the hopes it will help with connecting. Really boring playing by yourself.

Sapient Afro
Jan 22, 2012

Well, you threatened to shove a knife up his dickhole.

favorite pass time now is to go into passive mode and follow people around in a car while leaning on the highest pitch horn

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

verbal enema posted:

I am like permabroke in this game :saddowns:
1: Do missions. Seriously, even with pubbies you stand to make $10-20k every 5 minutes.
2: Sell Gallivanter Ballers for $9k every 45 minutes,
3: Rob convenience stores in a mask but go round the desk, melee the cashier just as the threat bar is full and press right on the d-pad and you get the money from the till and the bag he drops - about $4-6k. On the getaway, park off road and take off the mask to lose a star.
4: if you're bad at free roam start an invite only lobby and grab cars for Simeon until he marks a high priority vehicle, then go for that. Do not go for HPVs in open lobbies because everyone blows them up which is hilarious. $7-12k per car depending on its condition on arrival.
5: There was a capture mission floating about that required 4 players to not gently caress it up, and literally all you had to do was stand still for about 10 seconds and you'd walk away with $5k and a bunch of RP, but I can't find it http://youtu.be/fQB4cI9QWnM

e: new RP glitch: http://youtu.be/yvGPmNWb-Jw - this guy seems to be pretty quick with new glitches with relatively little irritation.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jan 4, 2015

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol
Anyone want to get me up to date on popular tactics and methods to gently caress with people ? Messing around in SP I see how they increased the amount of cars that spawn in traffic, giving me ideas of making road blocks with buses/semis.

New social club account is Sexmaster1982

Bro Nerd Alpha fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jan 4, 2015

Quicksand_Jesus
Dec 19, 2005

Lasagna Miracle

Bro Nerd Alpha posted:

Anyone want to get me up to date on popular tactics and methods to gently caress with people ? Messing around in SP I see how they increased the amount of cars that spawn in traffic, giving me ideas of making road blocks with buses/semis.

I just came back after selling my PS3 early last year. To my eyes, not much has changed.

I still chase people down, sticky them, and blow their shut up.

I still cargobob people's cars to impossible locations.

I still block people in stores with their cars.

If I'm broke, i Jerry can people's rides and let them eat the insurance costs.

Passive mode is weird and hosed up now. You can't kill people in passive mode (that I've found) like you used to do. Though I understand you can pick up a car in a cargobob, go passive, and people will destroy their own car trying to shoot you. That sounds delightful.

In other words, it's not changed much. Just prettier and the option for more people on the server.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Some winter glamor shots

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Quicksand_Jesus posted:

You are wasting your time. When you blow up a car that way now they don't pay their insurance costs either, it's free for them. I don't know of a way to make someone pay for insurance costs on next gen unless they blow up their own car. All other circumstances either the person who blows it up pays it or there is no charge.

Quicksand_Jesus posted:

Passive mode is weird and hosed up now. You can't kill people in passive mode (that I've found) like you used to do. Though I understand you can pick up a car in a cargobob, go passive, and people will destroy their own car trying to shoot you. That sounds delightful.

You can kill people in passive but you wont get credit for the kill. If you blow up a car near them then that car's blast can blow them up sympathetically. It's more difficult but it works.

Dox023
Feb 23, 2009

BitBasher posted:

You are wasting your time. When you blow up a car that way now they don't pay their insurance costs either, it's free for them. I don't know of a way to make someone pay for insurance costs on next gen unless they blow up their own car. All other circumstances either the person who blows it up pays it or there is no charge.

You can kill people in passive but you wont get credit for the kill. If you blow up a car near them then that car's blast can blow them up sympathetically. It's more difficult but it works.

Hey BitBasher, if you lower a cars suspension or put the splitters/diffusers on them does that alter the handling in any way? I also hear that putting offroad tires on your cars has some benefit but I haven't been able to get a clear answer on exactly what the benefit is.

Also, is it possible to buy a Cargobob online and have it delivered via Pegasus, or do you need to go find one every time you want to haul stuff around?

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol
God I've missed this. Lobby full of Spanish speaking gentleman, I'm running around in a cop car just chasing them going "LA POLICIA MARICONNNSSS"

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

DanrewS posted:

Hey BitBasher, if you lower a cars suspension or put the splitters/diffusers on them does that alter the handling in any way? I also hear that putting offroad tires on your cars has some benefit but I haven't been able to get a clear answer on exactly what the benefit is.

Also, is it possible to buy a Cargobob online and have it delivered via Pegasus, or do you need to go find one every time you want to haul stuff around?

The glitch used to purchase the Cargobob online was patched a long, long time ago in the old-gen. If you're looking for a Cargobob in freeroam, keep visiting the hospital in South Los Santos until it spawns on one of the two pads.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

DanrewS posted:

Hey BitBasher, if you lower a cars suspension or put the splitters/diffusers on them does that alter the handling in any way?

Lowering a cars suspension does somewhat change handling but not enough that most people should notice. The game uses accurate physics sway for the car when braking, accelerating or the car leaning left or right during turns. The more a car can sway the more weight gets shifted off of the inside tires to the outside tires making it theoretically easier to lose traction or to slide. Lowering a suspension definitely does make it somewhat less bouncy, because the suspension travel is reduced, there is less travel from the top to bottom of the suspension.

The thing is, I have never really seen anyone compare the two, suspension wise. Maybe later today I'll throw out a 10 laps on a racetrack with the same car twice, the only difference being the suspension and see if I can determine a difference.

With the exception of the spoiler and wheels, cosmetic stuff is cosmetic stuff, and doesn't affect times. Spoilers do tangibly affect traction, and wheels I will get to below.

DanrewS posted:

I also hear that putting offroad tires on your cars has some benefit but I haven't been able to get a clear answer on exactly what the benefit is.

Off Road wheels and tires do, unfortunately, have a tangible benefit in all races. It's either cool or insane that Rockstar actually modded in the rubber in the tire as having separate properties than the rim itself. The Rubber is very forgiving to sudden shocks and small bumps like rolling straight over a curb while the rim is appropriately solid and causes a jarring impact when you hit a curb or small bump. Different tire types have a different ratio of rubber to rim (or tire to wheel) with Off Road tires having the most rubber while High End tires have the least, with Sport and the rest in varying degrees in the middle.

What this means is that demonstrably Off Road tires make the car smoother across terrain. This is easily relevant in any race where you may want to cut a corner by driving over a curb, which is pretty much all races. Off Road tires are noticeably smoother and have a much, much lower chance of having your car take a freak bounce and lose control. It's actually a pretty solid advantage if you race or even drive a lot.

I personally think they should reduce traction for Off Road tires by 20%-30% when on paved roads and all other tires by the same 20%-30% when off paved roads. The situation as it is now is pretty stupid and unlike everything else in their driving model, really counter to the real world. Even a small shift like 10% to 15% would be enough that you pay a tangible penalty.

DanrewS posted:

No, you can't buy a Cargobob. You used to be able to through a bug that was patched long ago. If anyone knows of a current way to do it it would be greatly appreciated.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

So offroad tyres should be on all vehicles forever for best min-max performance tweaking?

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Bobby Deluxe posted:

1: Do missions. Seriously, even with pubbies you stand to make $10-20k every 5 minutes.
2: Sell Gallivanter Ballers for $9k every 45 minutes,
3: Rob convenience stores in a mask but go round the desk, melee the cashier just as the threat bar is full and press right on the d-pad and you get the money from the till and the bag he drops - about $4-6k. On the getaway, park off road and take off the mask to lose a star.
4: if you're bad at free roam start an invite only lobby and grab cars for Simeon until he marks a high priority vehicle, then go for that. Do not go for HPVs in open lobbies because everyone blows them up which is hilarious. $7-12k per car depending on its condition on arrival.
5: There was a capture mission floating about that required 4 players to not gently caress it up, and literally all you had to do was stand still for about 10 seconds and you'd walk away with $5k and a bunch of RP, but I can't find it http://youtu.be/fQB4cI9QWnM

e: new RP glitch: http://youtu.be/yvGPmNWb-Jw - this guy seems to be pretty quick with new glitches with relatively little irritation.

Edit: I like how he edits out the players' names, but not the crew name.

Let me add a bit to your post. It's the little costs that seem to be forgotten by everyone that can add up quickly if you don't have a nice nest egg. I'm a bit of a numbers guy due to my job, so it it bleeds over a bit into other things:

• Always bank your cash at every chance you get. Every time you die from either a cop or another player or suicide you lose non-banked money. Suicides cost you up to $500 + dropped cash if you don't bank it.
  • Always make an attempt to go for Armored Cars 9-15k.
  • Always accept Lester's "Kill Target" texts. Again another easy $5-7k
  • Use a chopper to rob stores. If you can't quickly get away, fly straight up, bank the cash, land and kill yourself (no cost plus no money dropped). Return to the chopper, repeat.
  • In missions, be patient and learn to love the Sniper Rifle and Assault / Heavy Shotgun. They are one shot one kill (most of the time). If you must use the assault rifles, well timed 2 or 3 rounds are just as effective as holding down L2 for 10 rounds. NPCs who are not immediately dead may die after a few seconds from their wounds or just need 1 more shot not another 10. Be sure to pick up ammo from the NPCs before it despawns. Don't buy ammo in the lobby screen. When the missions starts, go to Ammunation. In the lobby screen, you're paying full price. Why pay for a $600 sticky when (depending on your discount) you can purchase them at Ammunation for $474? That's a savings of $3150 for the full 25)
  • Go to Paleto Bay, find the modded Blue and Yellow Sandkings. They go for 18k each. Stock up on them in your garage if you have space (thank aardmania for the tip).
  • Don't blow poo poo up constantly in free roam - don't use Homing rockets just because you can, use them against the targets for which they're designed.
  • Stay in passive and go for the HPV. That way nobody can blow it up with you in it and pubbies get extra pissed. Unless you have a mission to start, after delivery, jump sessions until you find another one. HPV vehicles are not tied to the 48 minute cool down like other vehicles, I delivered 5 while jumping sessions looking for a well-timed crate drop. Get it fixed at the eastern LSC. Then it's a straight shot to Simeon's garage. Take your time so you can deliver it in mint condition. For whatever reason, the Ocelot F620 has been the HPV for the last 2 or 3 days. $13,500 (minus repair and respray, so ~12k) each time.
  • Like missions, payouts for races is time-based. Especially racing solo. Create a list of your favorite races, run them solo for practice. I do this a lot mainly to test our races I've made and I seem to average about 1k per minute. The sliding scale isn't exact, but I know ~3 minutes is $2940, 5-6 minutes ~$5048, 6-7minutes is ~6k and so on. They don't count for achievements / unlocks via wins and I'm not certain if they count for turbo starts.

Quicksand_Jesus posted:

This is a tricky one, you don't have to be broke to destroy someone's vehicle at no cost to you. Especially if you can push it into the water with another vehicle at say, La Puerta docs. However, if you're broke or don't have enough to cover it, the player whose car is destroyed is no longer on the hook for the remainder of the cost. Had someone pay only $19 dollars toward the insurance for my Cheetah, and the Mors screen said "No Charge".

That said, here's a terrible video of me taking 15 minutes (squeezed down to 2:54) to destroy a Zentorno and an Adder that 1/3 of the way through a pubbie just dropped off for me. It includes the near obsessive lengths I will go through when things don't go to plan, like when the car lands on the docs and I have to get a boat to finish the job.

geeves fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 4, 2015

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Bobtista posted:

So offroad tyres should be on all vehicles forever for best min-max performance tweaking?

Unfortunately yes. Every single car I ever even has a chance of being in a race has Off Road tires on it.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

geeves posted:

Edit: I like how he edits out the players' names, but not the crew name.

Let me add a bit to your post. It's the little costs that seem to be forgotten by everyone that can add up quickly if you don't have a nice nest egg. I'm a bit of a numbers guy due to my job, so it it bleeds over a bit into other things:

Here's something I didn't see:

Don't use the option to refill all of your ammo in the pre-mission lobby. It sometimes overcharges you and you really don't need 9,999 rounds for your sniper rifle. Just top off your weapon-of-choice and explosives when you go to refill your armor reserves.

E: n/m, I did see that you said not to buy ammo from the mission screen. But yeah, seconding all of that poo poo you said. Also, if you have to blow something up, hand grenades will usually do the job about as well as blooper rounds, rockets, or stickies and they cost a lot less.

E2: I see a lot of videos from you guys now that everyone's on PS4 but nobody is ever in 1st-person. This makes me sad. Is there an option for 1st-person only lobbies? I feel like the only *real* way to play this game on current-gen would be 1st-person free-aim.

titties fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 4, 2015

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

geeves posted:

Go to Paleto Bay, find the modded Blue and Yellow Sandkings. They go for 18k each. Stock up on them in your garage if you have space (thank aardmania for the tip).

Whaaaat? I thought gang cars were the most profitable sell.

I would like to know more.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

BitBasher posted:

Unfortunately yes. Every single car I ever even has a chance of being in a race has Off Road tires on it.

I haven't noticed too much difference between tire types, while it might affect the handling, giving it better traction, I think it's negligible. And doesn't make a difference in races with catch up and slip stream.

Here's the last lap of the super race in which we should have gone 1-2. I was slowing down along the long curve trying to keep you in front of me instead I got massive understeer, nearly pitted you, hit the embankment and ended up sideswiping you. My turns weren't great - I never should have been able to catch you. Then I made a decent hairpin in the last turn trying to race the course not the check point.

And here's the sports race when I took you out. In my defense with all the lagging, I was just trying to hold my line as I no longer new what was real :gonk: I remember thinking I was going to lose this race because I had a 2-3 second lead 1/2 way through the last lap and you can hear my engine slowing down only to pick up when you and the others passed me.

geeves fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 4, 2015

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I know nothing about gang cars or these blue and yellow sand kings and I'm like level 165.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I know nothing about gang cars or these blue and yellow sand kings and I'm like level 165.

A quick YouTube search gave me these two videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36pdESS3xVQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZGLQ0pi5NU

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

Hockles posted:

Whaaaat? I thought gang cars were the most profitable sell.

I would like to know more.

The real money is in the chrome and gold custom Dubsters that are found near Madrazo's house. They spawn every morning at the same turn from about 10:00 a.m. until about 1:00 from my experience. The trick is that you need one in order to get it to spawn regularly, so if you pick one up, put a tracker on it and insure it. Then, head up there, jack someone for theirs and take it to LSC where it will sell for a little over $23k. If you move fast enough and have room in your garage, you can nab two per game day. That can net you about $23k every 48 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

geeves posted:

I haven't noticed too much difference between tire types, while it might affect the handling, giving it better traction, I think it's negligible. And doesn't make a difference in races with catch up and slip stream.
Catch up and slip stream eliminates a lot of the finer points because it gives you a sledgehammer instead of a scalpel. Those races are a lot more about dealing with other cars and a lot less about the actual racing physics. On the track on the replay below the tire type was pretty irrelevant because there are no curbs and such to cross. The tire types only matter in those cases. For a one minute lap the tires can mean a difference of a second or two on average per lap, but a second or two is loving huge in really close races when catch up isn't on or it's non-contact.

geeves posted:

Here's the last lap of the super race in which we should have gone 1-2. I was slowing down along the long curve trying to keep you in front of me instead I got massive understeer, nearly pitted you, hit the embankment and ended up sideswiping you. My turns weren't great - I never should have been able to catch you. Then I made a decent hairpin in the last turn trying to race the course not the check point.
That's really amusing from your point of view, the lag prediction that determines my placement looks smooth to you, but that's not where my car was. My car never went wheels onto the dirt, I was hugging the inside of those turns. When you hit me after the sweeping turn you were airborne immediately before the impact because you cut the corner and went up the berm, neither of us were going to do a drat thing about that. You were taking that corner much tighter than I was, because I was swinging very wide trying to stay the hell out of your way! Catch up is a hell of a thing, it will definitely catch you up.

That last corner where you lost traction was because of the exact thing I talk about a lot. You were on the edge of your traction threshold, you let off the gas and so your cars weight shifted off the rear tires reducing their traction even further and pushing them past the threshold there they lost traction entirely and the car loses it's poo poo. At least that's what it looked like in the replay.

geeves posted:

And here's the sports race when I took you out. In my defense with all the lagging, I was just trying to hold my line as I no longer new what was real :gonk: I remember thinking I was going to lose this race because I had a 2-3 second lead 1/2 way through the last lap and you can hear my engine slowing down only to pick up when you and the others passed me.

Haha, yeah, that was some lag there from your point of view. I wasn't seeing anything like that. When you took me out that was entirely my fault. I should have slowed down a bit and taken the inside. I even said that to my friend in the room right when it happened, immediately before you hit me. Catch up really makes it so it's about playing the other drivers less than the track. I'm never pissed when someone knocks me out in that mode, because really that's what that mode is about. I mean hell, I was being a dick in those races, I was pitting the leader by request after calling it out Babe Ruth style in advance. You don't get much more assholish than that.

EDIT: I just ran 11 laps each with the highest and lowest suspension in a fully modded Ruiner on Downtown underground. The best lap times were off by 0.09 seconds of each other. I couldn't really see a difference in practical performance.

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 4, 2015

• Locked thread