Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

MourningView posted:

If they're like mid-segment I don't think there's anything wrong with finishing that and then going straight to the Newton thing. They need a few minutes to put something together for it anyway.

I was going to say, it's not like they can really just blurt in with something about Cam's accident.

Unless there's an Charlotte ABC feed or something? they're kind of limited as to what they can provide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

FuzzySkinner posted:

So topic to bring up.

I saw a few people on my timeline ripping ESPN for not reporting the Cam Newton accident immediately and continuing to discuss the ramifications of Johnny Football starting for the Cleveland Browns.

Do you guys feel ESPN is at fault for not reporting on something like this or do you feel it's their responsibility to interrupt programming immediately for a situation like this?
They're more rippable for intentionally leaving out the fact that Jay Glazer broke the Johnny-Manziel-to-start story.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Keeping this thread alive to mention the Rose and Sugar Bowls were the most-watched telecasts in cable history:

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2015/01/college-football-playoff-semifinals-cables-largest-two-audiences-in-history/

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

CaptainYesterday posted:

Where the gently caress is my CSN Houston? :argh:

Let me revise this:

Where the gently caress is my Root Sports Southwest? :argh:

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
I like Brad Nessler fine but I am surprised he was working the Sugar Bowl. I'd love for Joe Tessitore to get more plum assignments but they've saddled him with Matt loving Millen for the foreseeable future.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Vertical Lime posted:

Keeping this thread alive to mention the Rose and Sugar Bowls were the most-watched telecasts in cable history:

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2015/01/college-football-playoff-semifinals-cables-largest-two-audiences-in-history/

I know I should just get used to it but it just pisses me off that they ever even put them on cable. But then I suppose they couldn't claim ratings records by doing that.

On the other hand, I doubt those numbers include the amount of people that watched on the WatchESPN app, which was enough to straight up break the app for about 2 hours during the Rose Bowl.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

FuzzySkinner posted:

I was going to say, it's not like they can really just blurt in with something about Cam's accident.

Unless there's an Charlotte ABC feed or something? they're kind of limited as to what they can provide.

ESPN sucks at breaking and they were getting their reporting on it from ABC which meant the original reporting loop went abc affiliate->abc network->espn desk->espn anchor talking on tv. I cut out about 7 intermediary steps but it is a miracle anything gets on tv, ever.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
Stuart Scott passed away today at 49. So young.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Jay Carney posted:

From his most recent appearances it seemed like it was only a matter of time :smith:

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
Booyah, sweet prince. Booyah.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Jay Carney posted:

I figured it was just a matter of time when they announced he was back in the hospital a few weeks ago and everyone was crying. They never said it, but you could read between the lines.

I was never a fan of his anchoring on SportsCenter, but from everything I've heard he was a great man and an even better father. Rest in peace, sir.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

One of my favorites from the 'Golden Age' of ESPN anchors in the '90s. Watched him all the time in the morning as a kid before going to school. Sucks he had to go so young.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Stuart Scott came to one of our football games when I was at UNC and I remember him doing push-ups every time we scored. He had to do a push-up for every total point after a score, and it was a pretty high scoring game. I guess it was his thing because I read an article about him doing more push-ups elsewhere.

If I was at his funeral that is the story I would tell. :unsmith:

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Used to wake up two hours before junior/high school every day just to catch a full run of SC. Stuart Scott was one of my favorite TV personalities of all time. Rest in peace boss, the fight's over

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Cancer is a loving rear end in a top hat.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Yep, Stuart Scott will always take me right back to 4th grade, watching Sportscenter before school and discussing all of the highlights and catchphrases with my buddies. His excessive enthusiasm did start to wear on me as I got older, but honestly, I think that says more about me than it does him. RIP Stu

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

If you want to feel really sad watch this: http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/12118296/stuart-scott-espn-anchor-dies-age-49

RIP Stuart Scott :(

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?
I remember seeing Stuart on WRAL back in the day and when he got to ESPN, I thought it was cool to see the local guy hit the big time. It was kind of a big deal for me to hear a guy on Sportscenter talking the way my friends and I would talk to each other. It didn't sound like a guy being told by his producers to be more "urban", it was real. Thanks for keeping it real, Stu.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Jesus Christ, Hanna Storm is anchoring SportsCenter right now and she (understandably) looks like poo poo from crying.

All I want to do is give the poor woman a hug and tell her it's going to be ok. :smith:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

That is a really sad tribute. Scott Van Pelt's eyes are all red and you can tell he's been crying a lot. I didn't even know he had cancer. This really sucks, he was definitely one of the more fun folks doing stuff at ESPN.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Deadspin posted the live tributes from ESPN and Rich Eisen:

http://deadspin.com/rich-eisen-hann...dium=socialflow

Verisimillipede
Jul 17, 2006

They already have a special dedicated to him they're playing. Must have been terrible to prewrite that obit

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
Watching Rich Eisen talk is just crushing.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Verisimillipede posted:

They already have a special dedicated to him they're playing. Must have been terrible to prewrite that obit

It's an NFL playoff weekend and all they're doing is showing Stuart Scott footage. It's a testament to how much they loved the guy. They don't even have the crawl on the bottom of the screen.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Retail Slave posted:

Jesus Christ, Hanna Storm is anchoring SportsCenter right now and she (understandably) looks like poo poo from crying.

Everyone talks about how good of a guy he was and stuff like this shows it. Everyone on ESPN has been pretty broken up. I might get a "Oh yeah, I think I remember that guy. He was kind of an rear end in a top hat." at best.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Verisimillipede posted:

I cannot imagine how hard it was for everyone to make that tribute. Making a tribute about someone that's still alive is pretty rough. Making a tribute about someone who is still alive, is only 49 and has 2 teenaged kids has to be gut-wrenching.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

axeil posted:

I cannot imagine how hard it was for everyone to make that tribute. Making a tribute about someone that's still alive is pretty rough. Making a tribute about someone who is still alive, is only 49 and has 2 teenaged kids has to be gut-wrenching.

Like I said upthread, when they announced he was back in the hospital a couple of months ago and wished him well and gave him "I love you's" and were all crying on the air, you could kind of read between the lines. That's probably when that project really kicked into gear.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Retail Slave posted:

Like I said upthread, when they announced he was back in the hospital a couple of months ago and wished him well and gave him "I love you's" and were all crying on the air, you could kind of read between the lines. That's probably when that project really kicked into gear.
You can tell the ESPN obit was written awhile ago, since it's LONG and full of testimonials from other ESPN people.

Verisimillipede
Jul 17, 2006

They're going to do a moment of silence for him at the Colts Bengals game, that is pretty incredible. Class act by the Colts, really shows how much he was loved by everybody.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

Badfinger posted:

Watching Rich Eisen talk is just crushing.

Yeah, him and Hannah Storm in the Deadspin links were just brutal. :'(

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

I'd stop well short of "devastating," but this news has hit me pretty hard. Had two parents pass from cancer before 60, so I know what the disease does to the individual and to the family and friends. I'm in the same boat as a lot of others, that I can't count the days I watched Stu on SportsCenter while eating breakfast before school. The only reason people ever treated him like a meme was because he always came with energy, focus and a very certain and legitimate swagger day after day. Can't be mad at that.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Very odd to think that I felt as though Scott represented a lot of what was changing and hurting ESPN. I.E. The transition from a news reporting place to entertainment place. I grew up watching sportscenter and when I skipped or was home in the summer I'd watch it 4 times in a row in the morning.

I was surprised how sad this made me. But I think it shows how ESPN was and still is a part of my life. And having a guy like Scott in no small way be part of my life for the past couple decades.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...
Rich Eisen and Stuart Scott anchored my formative years as a sports fan. Stuart's impact goes so much farther than that. I lost my dad at 21 and it sucked. I can't imagine what his two teenage girls are going through.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

At least his eyes can now be together in heaven. :angel:

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Eisen's eulogy loving killed me.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I grew up watching him. This just friggin rips my heart out.

E: Man, even Boomer looks like he was crying all morning.

HOTLANTA MAN fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jan 4, 2015

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Cancer can get bent, and Stuart Scott went from being someone I slightly enjoyed to someone I greatly admired and respected with how he handled cancer and the more I learned about him as a family man.

RIP, Stu.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Joking about Stu saying booyah too much back in the day now kinda seems like those people that thought the Simpsons became unwatchable trash in like, season 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

He was actually on the VH1 "I love the.." shows I was quite addicted to, and he was actually one of the funniest people on there.

The one I remember the most fondly was him making fun of Marge Schott.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snkqd7P38GI&t=5m35s