Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

I used onlinecharttool.com and then mspaint

Well I can't argue with time tested methods such as those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

I used onlinecharttool.com and then mspaint

Annakie, please teach this man the right way to make an image with a 30 minute tutorial.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
It looked like this for me, sure there are some small errors (example, I forgot to crop the second pic), but irregardlessly mesmerizing.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
So I guess it's worth mentioning in here that Occupation and Zaggitz are hosting another Who livewatch today/tonight in the IRC for The Eleventh Hour aka Matt Smith's first full episode as The Doctor. It starts st 6PM EST/3PM PST/Go look up what time that is in your own time zone I'm not your damned butler.

#SATVIV on SynIRC

hcreight fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jan 3, 2015

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

hcreight posted:

So I guess it's worth mentioning in here that Occupation and Zaggitz are hosting another Who livewatch today/tonight in the IRC for The Eleventh Hour aka Matt Smith's first full episode as The Doctor. It starts st 6PM EST/3PM PST/Go look up what time that is in your own time zone I'm not your damned butler.

Was it? Was it really worth mentioning?

Just kidding, but seriously it really isn't the kind of episode that lends itself to a fun live watch.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Finished Mozart in the Jungle. Episodes 6-7 were amazing, then the last couple sorta sucked. Hope they renew it, though. It has a lot of fun characters.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Irish Joe posted:

Was it? Was it really worth mentioning?

Just kidding, but seriously it really isn't the kind of episode that lends itself to a fun live watch.

It could be, remember how promising Matt Smith seemed after Tenant's long assed run? Before Amy and Rorie shat all over everything and Moffat went all ouroboros on his own rear end in a top hat? Occ hasn't seen all that yet.

Dr Who writer's room circa 2013:

IRQ fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jan 3, 2015

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

IRQ posted:

It could be, remember how promising Matt Smith seemed after Tenant's long assed run? Before Amy and Rorie shat all over everything and Moffat went all ouroboros on his own rear end in a top hat? Occ hasn't seen all that yet.

Yeah, so where's the comedy? Doing a live watch of a good show is like doing a Rifftrax of 12 Years a Slave. What do you say except "this is really good" or, as Occ would put it, "HAHAAJSHDFJNSI"

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Please see Rule 2 in the OP.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Ok, who wants to talk about the BSG/LOST finale and what utter garbage it was?

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

IRQ posted:

Ok, who wants to talk about the BSG/LOST finale and what utter garbage it was?

I disagree, the BSG and LOST finales were both pinnacles of the artistic medium of TV. :colbert:

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I have my reservations about both, but I can't outright hate tv shows that promote Christian theology. Lost by advocating the catholic afterlife and BSG by having angels and disproving Darwin's theory of evolution.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

I can't outright hate tv shows that promote Christian theology

Kurt Sutter wrote the Sons of Anarchy finale just for you.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I liked the bit on BSG with all the copies of Grace Pak in the nuddy

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rarity posted:

I liked the bit on BSG with all the copies of Grace Pak in the nuddy

That was when the Cylons captured that Doctor. Who was he again?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Irish Joe posted:

Hey guys, did you know Back to the Future 2 took place in 2015? Where are all the hoverboards, am I right? :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSheVhmcYLA

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Maybe we should see if we can get that video posted once on every page from here out.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Change the name of the forum to that URL.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Deadpool posted:

Maybe we should see if we can get that video posted once on every page from here out.

Throw in the "this is the day Marty McFly went into the future" meme and you've got a deal.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Irish Joe posted:

I have my reservations about both, but I can't outright hate tv shows that promote Christian theology. Lost by advocating the catholic afterlife and BSG by having angels and disproving Darwin's theory of evolution.
Irish Joe taking his gimmick to bold new places this year.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Deadpool! (or another mod)

Would you mind sticky-ing the Danger 5 thread? It airs tonight (9 hours as of this post) and because we in Australia are in the future it would be nice to be stickied before the show airs.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3663045
Also, changing the thread title to remove 'on Janurary 4th' would be grand. The show will air for the next seven weeks if there are no breaks so if you have some sort of sticky schedule you can make a note. Thanks.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I was bored on netflix and just rewatched the first episode of How I Met Your Mother and enjoyed myself, I actually felt pretty nostalgic. Back when I was watching the show for the first time I quit somewhere around halfway through season 5, it had felt like a chore to watch for quite a while.

Watching and enjoying the first episode again made me want to maybe try and go back and finish it out. This is a pretty generic question but does the show ever get good again?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

LibbyM posted:

I was bored on netflix and just rewatched the first episode of How I Met Your Mother and enjoyed myself, I actually felt pretty nostalgic. Back when I was watching the show for the first time I quit somewhere around halfway through season 5, it had felt like a chore to watch for quite a while.

Watching and enjoying the first episode again made me want to maybe try and go back and finish it out. This is a pretty generic question but does the show ever get good again?

It goes downhill in season 4, and then improves in the last season until it pisses on you in the final episode.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

LibbyM posted:

Just watch the alternate ending they filmed.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

LibbyM posted:

This is a pretty generic question but does the show ever get good again?

No. It actually gets progressively worse until the very end where it has an ending which rivals the worst TV ones ever seen. It's just loving terrible.

When people say the final season is better what they really mean is that a handful of scenes with the mother are really good, but they are so sparse and surrounded by the worse loving gimmick imaginable that it's like swimming in runny, cold poo poo in search for some dollar bills.

Sober posted:

Just watch the alternate ending they filmed.

Do this, its pretty good.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I forgot about the official alternative ending. Far better than the stupid 'we had this idea back in s2 when we thought the show would only last a few years' stupidity they decided to run with in s9. Pretty obviously they knew the real ending was a disaster or they wouldn't have put that one together.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I'm going to assume the alternate ending details the intergalactic adventures Colbie Smuckers had after she literally flew away that one episode.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I liked Jason Segel's suggestion where he said they should reveal that the ending takes place after a nuclear apocalypse. That could even have tied in with the time traveling Marshall in that one ep!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
They should have gone with the one mooted option that Lily was an android. It would have made her samurai storyline much more poignant.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Rarity posted:

They should have gone with the one mooted option that Lily was an android. It would have made her samurai storyline much more poignant.

It was Marshall that went to Japan, not Lily.

e: Nevermind, apparently Lily went to Japan as well. Also, I guess this is a real thing: https://twitter.com/search?q=%23HowIMetYourRacism

Ravane fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jan 4, 2015

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

The alternate ending makes it more depressing because you know they not only considered it, they wrote it, shot it, then decided to stick to their guns about an ending they shot like 6 years ago and a plan they wrote in advance that never evolved with the show. Then again you could also argue the show didn't really evolve in those years where it just mostly dragged anyway.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

So I know the very basic gist of the ending, that the mom is dead, and that's why Ted is telling the story of her to their children. Is there more to why everyone hates the ending so much, or just that it ended on that kind of note?

Eitherway I will check out the alternative ending after I watch the ending everyone hates.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The ending to HIMYM is the best joke in the show's run and gets funnier every time PriorMarcus posts about it.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

LibbyM posted:

So I know the very basic gist of the ending, that the mom is dead, and that's why Ted is telling the story of her to their children. Is there more to why everyone hates the ending so much, or just that it ended on that kind of note?

Eitherway I will check out the alternative ending after I watch the ending everyone hates.
There were a few years where HIMYM dragged, and I don't mean they just teased the bare minimum of the Mother arc, but the seasons itself weren't that great. They had their moments, some hilarious, some with real pathos, but it was like finding something shiny in a pile of crap.

And then the last season was kinda lame cause they spent the entire twenty-something episodes on a weekend for Barney and Robin's wedding only to basically undo it in the span of about five minutes in the finale anyway.

Not that I should be armchair showrunning, but it would've been more interesting had they introduced the Mother into the show/group dynamic halfway through the series, maybe have her also butt-in on the voice overs which could've been an interesting storytelling dynamic as well, and would just have more material to mine with a new cast member, different interactions and all that. I did like what they did show of the Mother in the final season but it just goes to show it seemed like a waste to throw it all away.

Also yeah it's kinda stupid for Ted to tell kids the story about how he met their mother, barely mention the mother of your children as if those 15 or so years didn't matter at all and focus on one of your friends you had an on-again-off-again relationship for a decade and talk about loving her and constantly being in love with her ... to your children.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Aphrodite posted:

The ending to HIMYM is the best joke in the show's run and gets funnier every time PriorMarcus posts about it.

The punchline is that after half a decade of armchair television writing experts declaring LOST and BSG to be Objectively Terrible because they didn't have a set ending in mind and adapted the plot as the circumstances surrounding the show changed over its run, they turned around and complained that the ending to HIMYM was terrible because they had a set ending in mind and they didn't adapt the plot as the circumstances surrounding the show changed over its run.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

LibbyM posted:

Turns out the story is really about how Ted really wants to bang Robin and mum's dead so that's ok, right?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Sleeveless posted:

The punchline is that after half a decade of armchair television writing experts declaring LOST and BSG to be Objectively Terrible because they didn't have a set ending in mind and adapted the plot as the circumstances surrounding the show changed over its run, they turned around and complained that the ending to HIMYM was terrible because they had a set ending in mind and they didn't adapt the plot as the circumstances surrounding the show changed over its run.
Who knew that ruining a TV series was the only true constant in life?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

30 Rock had the worst ending. Killing off Jack was a terrible idea, and building the whole thing around the funeral was just... it was a really bad way to close it out. Especially since the budget cuts made it a bottle episode that only had Liz, Pete, Jenna, and Frank.

Edit: But I liked the Conan cameo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.
Someone name a TV show where they liked its ending and also genuinely liked the show (i.e. the ending can't be liked because it was simply put out of its misery like a dying dog).

• Locked thread