Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
hey merk whats the best way to get into chess. the chess thread here is deader than the go thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I would suggest having a strategy of some kind.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

HEY DIQNOL what did merk winning do, what benefit do I now have from betting correctly

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

uranus posted:

hey merk whats the best way to get into chess. the chess thread here is deader than the go thread.

imo the best way to get into chess is to play a few games and get a feel for it yourself, that's what i did when i was into chess

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Start playing blitz games online at like FICS. When you start to get tired of losing because you don't know any openings, pick one white opening to start learning. Just google its name, like the King's Indian.

After that, pick one black opening to kind of learn in response to e4 (the most common opening). I really like the French defense for beginners because it kind of forces white to play into your game rather than you responding to white's game.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

There have been a couple light/no-reasoning condemnations of peoples' votes. Why is this one sticking out to you?

It was the snarkiest and least useful IMO

merk posted:

Start playing blitz games online at like FICS. When you start to get tired of losing because you don't know any openings, pick one white opening to start learning. Just google its name, like the King's Indian.

After that, pick one black opening to kind of learn in response to e4 (the most common opening). I really like the French defense for beginners because it kind of forces white to play into your game rather than you responding to white's game.

I knew betting on you was a good idea. Buy yourself a deagle, champ *peels bills from wad*

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
That said, learning openings won't really make you better at chess. That's the common mistake newbies make. Learning an opening does nothing more than help put the board into situations that you recognize or, more importantly, feel comfortable playing.

The real way to get better at chess is to just play or setup situations and try to understand tactics. For example, you should know how to checkmate in a K+R vs. K situation, a K+Q vs. K situation, etc.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I have yet to win a CS:GO game, but came pretty close solo queuing. It went 16-12 and was dead even until about 20 rounds in. I was still the worst on my team, but by a small margin. I also managed to kill 3 people to win a round being the only person left. I'm proud of that one.

Then I played some arms race and was only 4 weapons off from the knife by the end. First time I got to pistols.

All in all, getting better.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I'm also not good at chess. I played everyday after school in high school for three straight years.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Ernie seems to know what he's on about with chess.

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos
Yeah, openings are literally the last thing you want to learn when trying to get good at chess.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
But openings do help a lot if you pick one that you do as white. If you can keep the game in your comfort zone, you learn quicker. If you open b4, you are just going to get crushed because you're behind from the first move.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
At the state championship I beat some jerk from Naperville because I forced him into a weird line of the French defense that I played a lot and he wasn't very comfortable playing. He was light years better than me.

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos
Yeah picking one to learn is fine, I meant more the whole "trying to learn all the openings and what the "best" response to them is" that so many people try to start on.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

*voice commands are suddenly replaced by the quirky green head's voice again*

IT SEEMS WE HAVE A WINNER! GIVE IT UP FOR YOUR GREASY DISGUSTING MONSTROSITY, CT MERK! HE HAS WON A SPECIAL PRIZE! BUT WE ARE GOOD SPORTS HERE, SO WE AREN'T GOING TO PENALIZE OUR FRIEND T OPOPANAX IN ANY WAY AT ALL! THAT'S RIGHT! HE GETS OFF SCOT FREE!

I'M SURE YOU'RE ALL WONDERING WHAT YOUR SUDDEN GAIN OR LOSS OF FUNDING IS GOING TO DO TO YOU IN A CS SERVER WITHOUT SHOOTING. THOSE OF YOU WHO BET INCORRECTLY ARE UNAFFECTED WHATSOEVER. THOSE OF YOU WHO BET YOUR SOULS FOR THE WINNER, HOWEVER, ARE :siren:LOVED FOR THE DAY:siren:! EVERYONE LOVES MONEY! LET'S GO COUNTERSTRIKE!!!

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
diqnol loves me :3

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos
What exactly does loved mean? Not super clear on all the Mafia status conditions.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
it takes one extra vote to kill you

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

uranus posted:

I thought you were joking this whole time so i wasn't responding.

My System by Aron Nimzowitsch and Bobby Fischer's 60 memorable games are the two books every chess beginner should read/watch/know, in that order. Aside from that, practice the puzzle section on chess.com (I forget what it's called, but it's worth it paying $3 or whatever for one month to get really good at recognizing all the important patterns), and you're off.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

To clarify: Spending even one hour reading either of those books or one hour practicing the patterns on chess.com is immediately going to put you in the top 50th percentile of chess players.

Unfortunately lots of what works or doesn't work in chess fundamentals is opaque to even the best players/strategists, and no one today should try to 'figure it out on their own'. Even the world's best players today stand on the shoulders of computer AIs that have taught them these things.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
chessgames.com also has good puzzles each day

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos
Yeah, the tactics puzzles are def a good way to learn how to pressure and fork. I used to use chesstemp.com, but I have a feeling most of the big chess sites are about the same.

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos
mafia edit: chesstempo.com

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Really, the best way to get better is to play. Make an account on FICS.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i made an account but it wont let me log in because i dont have java, which i do. oh well. i made a account on the chess.com instead.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Hey! The game's still going. Reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
diq already declared you teh LOSER

too bad

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Well then when I win I better double win

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

You've already died to me, Opop.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
Let's all pretend Opop isn't in this game anymore

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos

Opopanax posted:

Hey! The game's still going. Reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated

They may have been exaggerated but that doesn't make them wrong.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

Winged Orpheus posted:

They may have been exaggerated but that doesn't make them wrong.

##vote Winged Orpheus

You're paying a fair amount of attention to the thread, yet since you got called out for your lovely game related statement, you have made no further attempts. Please advance a mafia-related opinion.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
whats up kfc, have any good whisk(e)y lately?

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
comon pals lets rap

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
hello uranus how are you?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Somberbrero posted:

does my Fantastically Bad Vote say anything about my alignment?

it could be an attempt to put pressure, so i guess not

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Hey, I saw the deadline is tomorrow. WO has been more active than a bunch of people, myself included. I think that it'd be silly to lunch him today, especially when he hasn't played in a while.

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Eh, I think the CT case is a bad case but so is this. It's such an easy thing to jump on, someone commenting on a bad case. I think it is a really lazy and "by the books" case, rather than you actually feeling like you've found scum Rarity.

And I don't agree that KFC is worse for his post than Ernie or Kumba. Both those guys actually voted, KFC just said it was worst thing "so far". I think the players actually pushing the CT vote are scummier.

I don't care for this post at all. I rarely have a handle on FV but this feels very unlike FV. She's dumping on the small bit of content we have so far without really saying why. I don't get how CT or KFC is at all a 'by the books' case, or why that is a bad thing.

I mean, day one, if someone does something textbook scummy, it's a bad idea to lynch them because _______? Help me fill in the blank here.

I agree with Rarity's points and I think I'd like to lunch in this order. FV, KFC, and CT. ##vote fiery_valkyrie

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Pinterest Mom posted:

it could be an attempt to put pressure, so i guess not

I usually play day one this way but honestly I don't think that was my intent. I've been in a fugue state the past two days though.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
Amoeba, who are the scum?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
I am the CS equivalent of someone walking forward into a corner with no idea how to change directions.

I got back today from being offline all weekend and was going to force myself to case someone, but my eyes tend to glaze over when the discussion moves too much towards games (especially Chess and FPSes). I figure that rather than posting crap I'll just be upfront - I'm hoping I can wait until more game-related stuff has happened.

• Locked thread