Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I wanted this show to be Warehouse 13 2.0. I was even willing to forgive the show for all its flaws in the pilot.

But the last 2 episodes, the last one especially, are completely and utter garbage. It's too much a waste of my time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm watching the TV movies now, 1st one is about 4 times cornier than that last episode.

At least the show has an adorable red head.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The end of this week's episode was a little corny but it was a Christmas episode so I guess that's okay.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

gently caress the original idea of the show, have Bruce Campbell as Chuck Finley Santa dicking around for an hour on my screen.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
you managed to put John Larroquette, Matt Frewer, and Bruce Campbell on stage in the same episode, and nobody died of Trichinosis due to extreme amounts of ham.

That's the Christmas Miracle. :p

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I like warehouse 13. Will I like this?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Dr_Amazing posted:

Imagine that Warehouse 13 is a network show and The Librarians is the low-budget Syfy cousin. Would you watch that?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Josh Lyman posted:

Imagine that Warehouse 13 is a network show and The Librarians is the low-budget Syfy cousin.

I wouldn't be that harsh -- the sequence in the aeroplane was loving hilarious -- but this show really has absolutely no budget. If this is how the show's going to start, I've no idea where it's going to end. They've already used the same cave sets twice over.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Dr_Amazing posted:

Probably not. This show is trashy. Not only does it have like no budget, but the acting is also awful. For example you will absolutely cringe when watching any scene involving the female protagonist.

englerp
Oct 13, 2011

Dr_Amazing posted:

Maybe, I myself kind of like it, even though budget really doesn't seem that high. The acting on the other hand is perfectly fine to good imho.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Evil Cassandra was... enjoyable.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Jenkins and Dulaque used to be lovers!!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also Jenkins is immortal too. Sure are a lot of immortal people working for the Library.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

That episode was somewhat better. But it mainly pointed out how much better of a show it would be with Noah Wyle on as a regular, and Ezekiel Jones no where near it.

Leverage strongest suit was the relationships between all of the characters. So far Jake and Cassandra have that connection. They had a couple of nice moments this episode. But no one else really seems to be clicking with each other yet.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Leverage also had decent actors behind the character relationships though, and Cassandra is only slightly less terrible an actor than Ezekiel.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

muscles like this? posted:

Also Jenkins is immortal too. Sure are a lot of immortal people working for the Library.

Or, at least, very long lived. I thought he was going to say he and Dulaque were brothers, but they were lovers? Or...whatever it was they were. :cheeky:

Ezekiel Jones just doesn't make sense as a Librarian candidate. He's good at stealing? He doesn't seem that smart other than that. (I did enjoy the part where the Apple didn't effect him because he was already the worst possible version of himself, though.)

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Aw drat, all the chicks want to get with Prince Cassandra.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Cassandra reminds me of the neurotic counselor lady on Glee.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
I was glancing at the ads for this hoping for another Noah Wyle TNT adventure like the good bad Falling Skies and I thought the one guy was Johny Knoxville and I was excited to see him in a show hoping he would carry it, but it turns out it is just some jackass looking guy and Noah ain't even in it or something. But then somebody said Bob Newheart was in it and I got all excited again, but then it appears he really isn't in it.

But I think that rollercoaster might be enough to at least check out the first few episodes.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I don't know if this is going to be a thing going forward but next week they're showing two episodes.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

I don't know if this is going to be a thing going forward but next week they're showing two episodes.

Yeah, that means they're burning off episodes and this show is pretty much over doesn't it?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I mean, pretty much. The fact that it started right before Christmas and didn't go on break for the holidays didn't exactly bode well for its chances to begin with.

Something that bugged me about this week's episode was that once again the plot was Ezekiel Jones saves the day because he's a huge rear end in a top hat. Like, maybe they should have spaced out those plots a little bit so they weren't one right after the other.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

AxeManiac posted:

I was glancing at the ads for this hoping for another Noah Wyle TNT adventure like the good bad Falling Skies and I thought the one guy was Johny Knoxville and I was excited to see him in a show hoping he would carry it, but it turns out it is just some jackass looking guy and Noah ain't even in it or something. But then somebody said Bob Newheart was in it and I got all excited again, but then it appears he really isn't in it.

But I think that rollercoaster might be enough to at least check out the first few episodes.

If Noah Wyle and Bob Newhart are what you're looking for, then you'll want the Librarian TV movies from the early 2000s as this show is spun off from them. They're pretty cheesy but they're a lot better than this show so far.

Looks like they're all on Amazon Instant, if you're into that kind of thing:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Librarian-Quest-Noah-Wyle/dp/B0009NSCRQ
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000IJ7A24
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001MVYUQG

I mean, pretty much. The fact that it started right before Christmas and didn't go on break for the holidays didn't exactly bode well for its chances to begin with.

Something that bugged me about this week's episode was that once again the plot was Ezekiel Jones saves the day because he's a huge rear end in a top hat. Like, maybe they should have spaced out those plots a little bit so they weren't one right after the other.

It's really baffling that they're taking the absolute worst character on the show, both in terms of actor and the character's personality, and make him like the focus of every loving episode.

raditts fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jan 5, 2015

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

I actually don't mind him but I'd prefer more Eliot Spencer. I love his reactions/facial expressions. And just once, before the show is jettisoned into the cancelation abyss, I want him to get the damned globe to work for him.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

hangedman1984 posted:

Yeah, that means they're burning off episodes and this show is pretty much over doesn't it?

Did the ratings fall off a cliff? I thought the pilot did great numbers for TNT.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

jscolon2.0 posted:

Did the ratings fall off a cliff? I thought the pilot did great numbers for TNT.

The ratings fell for episodes 3&4 but are rebounding. Plus, William Shatner live-tweets the show! I think it's fine. :shrug:

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Given the dialogue about Cassandra trying to regain their trust, I assume this episode was meant to air right after the pilot.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah that was a bit weird, they were best buds last week. Or did she try and kill them with the apple? i forget

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I have zero interest in the plot or stories but I watch because Lindy Booth is cute as a button :sun:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Couldn't agree more.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
https://twitter.com/jonrog1/status/553034258302767107

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009
It's been a fun show so far. It's equally as entertaining as the movies (if the leads aren't all quite as compelling) so I'll keep watching it on DVR sometime during the week after it airs. My wife has been enjoying the silly adventures.

To be fair, the first time I saw the Librarian movies was when I was on vacation this holiday and had only TNT and Cartoon Network to provide entertainment

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
By all rights, I should stop watching this show. I only started watching it because my gay love of Christian Kane following him from Leverage to this, and the writing for the show is pretty terrible AND the CG is atrocious.

BUT I like this show. It's goofy. It's like the basis for the show gives it permission to push the lovely CG and bad writing and embrace it. And it works. Seeing Lindy become Prince Charming with girls crushing on her and Rebecca becoming a princess was entertaining.

Also Lindy Booth is absolutely adorable :blush:

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
I think the latest episode is exactly what this show needs to do. It wasn't super heavy on elaborate special effects but was still fantastical and interested in having fun with the characters.

Really, I'm just happy to have John Larroquette on my TV.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
This show is just goofy fun. I'm ok with that, and enjoying it so far.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

If you watch this show for any reasons other than Lindy Booth and Christian Kane, you're broken inside.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

jscolon2.0 posted:

If you watch this show for any reasons other than Lindy Booth and Christian Kane, you're broken inside.
Well, Night Court's Dan Fielding, plus occasional appearances by Max Headroom and Ash are pretty good reasons too.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Matt Frewer looks pretty crappy for someone still in his 50s.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Matt Frewer looks pretty crappy for someone still in his 50s.
To be fair though, he's pretty much always looked like that.

This is around 1987:

(and now I want to watch some Max Headroom)

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jan 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

the CG is atrocious.

God that wolf was cringeworthy bad.

I don't mind the bad parts of this show though, they are inline with the movies. It's the same sort of cheese and camp. Ezekiel doesn't bother me like the rest of you, it's Rebecca Romaine I can't get past. I'd rather Ezekiel's over animation than her stiff, stilted delivery.

• Locked thread