Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

The Myrmidons come with rocks sculpted onto the figures, so it was a bit of work to get rid of them. I think the figures are just substantially bigger than the Draykavac model, so it'll always seem cramped on the abeyant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thocan
Jan 18, 2014

ijyt posted:

Not SM, and a little late, but jetbike chat reminded me of this cool thing someone made for Tau. You can 3D print it for yourself too.

Does anyone know where I could get this printed?

Whiskey
Feb 8, 2004

Back with another one of those block rockin' BEATS
I've purchased 3 rattle-cans of Army Painter primer. I've had two go wrong, one wouldn't stop spraying after releasing the button and the other ran out of propellant with ~100ml of paint still left in the tin. I've purchased a Chinese airbrush and would like some recommendations on primer for resin and regular plastic models.

Thanks for your help.

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Whiskey posted:

I've purchased 3 rattle-cans of Army Painter primer. I've had two go wrong, one wouldn't stop spraying after releasing the button and the other ran out of propellant with ~100ml of paint still left in the tin. I've purchased a Chinese airbrush and would like some recommendations on primer for resin and regular plastic models.

Thanks for your help.

Vallejo Surface Primer or Badger Stynylrez. Both are great but Stynylrez was slightly cheaper per oz last time I checked.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I just ordered a Sparmax TC-620x compressor for myself for Christmas + Birthday. Does anyone have one of them? I will make a box thread on Monday and share what I find!

Good bye my 100 decibel, twenty gallon budget compressor that I bought on sale and had a 15 percent off coupon! You have served me well, but now you will live in the garage and inflate car tires.

ESDK
Oct 10, 2007

thocan posted:

Does anyone know where I could get this printed?

There´s http://www.shapeways.com/

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

dexefiend posted:

I just ordered a Sparmax TC-620x compressor for myself for Christmas + Birthday. Does anyone have one of them?

I have one, absolutely love it. I've been using it for months and have recommended it to the thread. There's not much to it, it's smaller, quieter and runs cooler than my earlier name brand compressor. I'm planning to get a Bambi compressor as it's even quieter but it's not really necessary, I really like the Sparmax. They are the OEM supplier for iwata, so they're pretty good.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Hey guys,

I have a long term goal of learning to 3d print and cast in resin figures/miniatures of my own creation.

To kind of kickstart the learning process and experiment with trying to make a side business out of this, I figured it would be useful to make some bits sets - I figure the low cost of entry for both consumers and the reduced complexity of modeling would provide a good start for learning how to do this kind of thing.

With that in mind, I've been out of the hobby for a number of years, and don't know of anyone else who is doing this. I seem to recall there being a handful of companies that did this kind of thing, like alternate heads, weapons, etc. Can anyone provide links to companies that are doing this that they think are good quality / pricing / etc?

Also, are there any particular types of bits that you think would be beneficial / would want to see personally? I figure I could make a million loving dollars with some good titmarine torsos.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Sigma-X posted:

seem to recall there being a handful of companies that did this kind of thing, like alternate heads, weapons, etc. Can anyone provide links to companies that are doing this that they think are good quality / pricing / etc?

There's a few good companies out there, yeah.

http://www.anvilindustry.co.uk/
http://maxmini.eu/
http://secretweaponminiatures.com/
http://puppetswar.com/

I can attest to both Anvil Industries and Puppets War as being very good casting quality, with little to no flash and no discernible bubbles.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I can also think of

http://www.kromlech.eu/
http://www.paulson-games.com/
http://www.madrobotminiatures.com/
http://victoriaminiatures.highwire.com/
https://www.facebook.com/pdc.gaming

As far as I know every Ork player loves Kromlech, Victoria just about makes the definitive Imperial Guard bits and minis, and I have some of Paulson's mechs, the guy is an artist. PDC is also a brand new company that ran a successful KS campaign but haven't gotten as far as a store front yet, might be worth looking at for ideas on how to get going yourself.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
Kromlech isn't bad but I have seen some pretty bad bubbles in some of their stuff. Shipping from Poland kind of sucks as well. Even with those caveats, they're still great bits.

EDIT: You can't go wrong with wheels and treads. People love that stuff for customizing or scratchbuilding vehicles.

BlackIronHeart fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jan 4, 2015

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Nearly there. Base, mutilated corpses and all the gore to go plus adjusting anything that doesnt look quite right when its all together.

lovely mobile cam wip incoming.

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012

Sigma-X posted:

Hey guys,

I have a long term goal of learning to 3d print and cast in resin figures/miniatures of my own creation.

To kind of kickstart the learning process and experiment with trying to make a side business out of this, I figured it would be useful to make some bits sets - I figure the low cost of entry for both consumers and the reduced complexity of modeling would provide a good start for learning how to do this kind of thing.

With that in mind, I've been out of the hobby for a number of years, and don't know of anyone else who is doing this. I seem to recall there being a handful of companies that did this kind of thing, like alternate heads, weapons, etc. Can anyone provide links to companies that are doing this that they think are good quality / pricing / etc?

Also, are there any particular types of bits that you think would be beneficial / would want to see personally? I figure I could make a million loving dollars with some good titmarine torsos.

Wheels and Barrels. Also items like chests, ammo boxes, doorways/panels/hatches and so on should be easy to make and will be useful for people scratch-building their own terrain/bases/markers.
Another suggestion is making your own sculpted/textured bases in the regular sizes and then selling casts of those.

gilljoy
May 3, 2009
Any tips on how to paint this style of base?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
How large is it?

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Prime white, heavy grey wash, pick out random stones with different grey tones, apply a wash of Payne's Grey to unify the colors.

That is what I see.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Oh, he was asking how to paint an unpainted version of that base. I thought he was asking how to produce something similar via paint. Yeah, what he said.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Re resin accessory companies, there are also:

http://www.spellcrow.com/
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Blood-and-Skulls-Industry
http://www.chapterhousestudios.com/

Never tried any of them though have been tempted by the first couple. Chapter House may be more of an example of how not to do stuff though.

You could also branch out into scenery and bases, though afaik there's a lot more competition in these areas. http://www.fatspider.co.uk/ is a decent example of that kinda stuff, I used a bunch of their cracked earth bases for my Salamanders, no problems with quality.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Man, gently caress eyes on infantry models. Everyone is blind from now on.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

http://www.spellcrow.com/orcs-c-9_32.html

Sh..should have sent a poet...

If only I'd known. If only I had known.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
That spellcrow stuff is gorgeous, although it seems like a lot of their stuff is actually modified from base GW stuff? like looking at their orc weapons, I see two things I'm pretty sure I've got in my bitz box, and their plague marine legs have all the same armor pieces with little bits/"plague" on it.

Anyhow, thanks everyone! This is all good for me :)

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Finished Curze. I had a lot of fun with this one. Very happy with the blue on the armour.

Click for big

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
I'm repairing my brother's broken Overlord model (someone thought resin was the idea material for a 2mm wide spearshaft?) and was punished for being lazy. I can't find my soft metal pins so I grabbed a hardened metal sewing needle. After gluing the pin in place and clipping it the arm was propelled across the room.

Had I not reorganized my painting station the week before it probably would have been lost forever. Don't use hardened steel needles for pinning resin bits.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Sigma-X posted:

Hey guys,

Alternate guns for Guardsmen. not!Space Marine pauldrons and helmets. Melee weapons. SM Jump Packs.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Marine backpacks. Seriously, there's probably an untapped market for a notmarine backpack that looks convincingly on-model, specially for one of the 30k marks. I think it's literally the only thing you can't buy in notmarine form from somewhere; all the makers either try to omit the idea of a backpack altogether (Scibor), produce something obviously out of place (Anvil) or just don't bother making one.

Okay, Spellcrow and Evilcraft get the basic silhouette pretty close with their plague marine packs and ornate Chaos backpacks respectively, but by their nature they're so visually specific that they're useless for Marines generally.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

You might also want to try making bits for things that aren't Marines, Guard or Orks, because outside of those three loving nothing exists

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

serious gaylord posted:

Finished Curze. I had a lot of fun with this one. Very happy with the blue on the armour.

Click for big

This looks rad, how did you do the blue?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

NTRabbit posted:

You might also want to try making bits for things that aren't Marines, Guard or Orks, because outside of those three loving nothing exists

To be fair, those are probably easiest to make custom bits for. What are you gonna do with eldar? Bare elf heads? Russians are already in on the whole "making jet bikes" racket.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

JcDent posted:

To be fair, those are probably easiest to make custom bits for. What are you gonna do with eldar? Bare elf heads? Russians are already in on the whole "making jet bikes" racket.

Alternate gun, alternate minis, alternate weapons, anything. There's a million and one sources for guardsmen heads, Marine weapons, Imperial tank stuff, et al, but in all my time searching the only alternate Eldar stuff I have ever found is the handful of things Chapterhouse makes and those awesome Warp Spiders I linked last year. No other Eldar, no Dark Eldar, Paulson was the only one making Tau guns.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
A lot of Eldar bits probably just aren't worth even trying because they tend to involve very thin parts and if you're casting in resin that poo poo is going to be awful.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Is handbrushing Vallejo surface primer a good idea? I have a big bottle of it I use for airbrushing but I can't currently use my airbrush because its too cold outside and my indoor area is occupied, and I'd like to get my battlemages done up for a warmachine tournament at the end of the month.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Sigma-X posted:

Here's one: Circular extensions that can be placed on the rim of a 25mm base that increases it to a 32mm base.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

NTRabbit posted:

Alternate gun, alternate minis, alternate weapons, anything. There's a million and one sources for guardsmen heads, Marine weapons, Imperial tank stuff, et al, but in all my time searching the only alternate Eldar stuff I have ever found is the handful of things Chapterhouse makes and those awesome Warp Spiders I linked last year. No other Eldar, no Dark Eldar, Paulson was the only one making Tau guns.

Ah, but you see, you have the entire human history to draw from for inspiration for Guards and Marines to the lesser extent. Eldar gave a somewhat fixed aesthetic, I'd say.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

serious gaylord posted:

Click for big

Very cool. What's your method for painting the stone on the ruined archway?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

JcDent posted:

Ah, but you see, you have the entire human history to draw from for inspiration for Guards and Marines to the lesser extent. Eldar gave a somewhat fixed aesthetic, I'd say.

That's what I like to call a piss poor excuse.

There's an aesthetic to work with, there's a fictional history to draw on, it's enough. As it stands there's only so many ways you can reuse the spare bits from the DA exarch sprue, otherwise you need to be a pretty skilled modeler to turn High Elves into usable parts, ie in an Exodite army.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jan 5, 2015

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Anyone in the US have a recommendation on a good micro drillbit set? The smallest bit I have is still thicker than a paperclip and I need to do some really fine pinning repairs here.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

berzerkmonkey posted:

Anyone in the US have a recommendation on a good micro drillbit set? The smallest bit I have is still thicker than a paperclip and I need to do some really fine pinning repairs here.

http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-660-Drill-Bits-Pack/dp/B0006O8S0O

These are the thinnest I've found.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

mr. stefan posted:

Is handbrushing Vallejo surface primer a good idea? I have a big bottle of it I use for airbrushing but I can't currently use my airbrush because its too cold outside and my indoor area is occupied, and I'd like to get my battlemages done up for a warmachine tournament at the end of the month.

You may need to thin it down a tad but it brushes on just fine in my experience.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Yeah, I want to say 1/32" is the smallest I have, but I know they make them even smaller. I have to replace a banner pole on a 10mm mini and 1/32" is way too big.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I know this is asked on the regular, but where do people buy their affordable fantasy miniatures (not from games workshop) online? I'm looking for some generic heroes and cannon fodder. I'm tired of painting ogre kingdoms.

• Locked thread