Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
The Prisoner had a glorious mindfuck of an ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Rome and Deadwood. They were cancelled but in the case of Rome it wrapped everything up and Deadwood it worked.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Leverage's finale was pretty great.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The Sopranos ending was a glorious moment and ended pretty much perfectly. The fact that 10 years later people still aggressively debate it and if David Chase farts a certain way they claim it validates their opinion is proof that no matter what you think it was still an insanely effective ending.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

MrBuddyLee posted:

Boy, BBC's The Fall really jumped the shark season 2 ep 3 didn't it? If it's even possible for a mediocre show to have a shark in the first place..

The director/writers of season two really are God-awful. No actions are believable; motivations are nonexistent. Uninteresting plot lines continue to get play. Blech.

I thought it poo poo the bed by the end of it's first season enough that it killed any interest I might have in watching the second season.

One of the best tv show finales is Eastbound and Down's.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Man, the mid season finale of Agents of SHIELD was actually pretty good! I just got caught up and I think this is the first time I'm really looking forward to seeing where they go now.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just rewatched the triple episode arc in Stargate Atlantis from 3x20-4x01-4x02. It always blows me away, some of the best hard sci-fi going imo.
But the end was brilliant.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

The Duke posted:

Man, the mid season finale of Agents of SHIELD was actually pretty good! I just got caught up and I think this is the first time I'm really looking forward to seeing where they go now.

All the problems and complaints AoS generated in season 1 were tied to them having to tread water and not do anything big until the current MCU movies came out, especially Winter Soldier. Now it seems like AoS is the vehicle that they'll use to launch new major changes to the MCU so the stories and plots got way, way better because rather then waiting for the movies to dictate what they can do AoS is now leading the MCU expansion.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Rocksicles posted:

I just rewatched the triple episode arc in Stargate Atlantis from 3x20-4x01-4x02. It always blows me away, some of the best hard sci-fi going imo.
But the end was brilliant.

I love the SG franchise, but there is nothing hard SF in it. It's pretty straight Space Opera, with magic tech and human one-trait-one-culture aliens. But the episodes you mention were really outstanding.

This makes me wish SGU had gotten another season. It became so good.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

This didn't get enough love, that whole final season and the two part conclusion were wonderful.

I still find myself humming that song sometimes.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Decius posted:

I love the SG franchise, but there is nothing hard SF in it. It's pretty straight Space Opera, with magic tech and human one-trait-one-culture aliens. But the episodes you mention were really outstanding.

This makes me wish SGU had gotten another season. It became so good.

Yeah maybe space opera, i'm not really a someone who pays attention to genre terms. I knows what i likes. I'm a huge fan of space battles.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

pentyne posted:

All the problems and complaints AoS generated in season 1 were tied to them having to tread water and not do anything big until the current MCU movies came out, especially Winter Soldier. Now it seems like AoS is the vehicle that they'll use to launch new major changes to the MCU so the stories and plots got way, way better because rather then waiting for the movies to dictate what they can do AoS is now leading the MCU expansion.

Not all the problems. Winter Soldier didn't force them to write "he's standing right behind me" and similar dated and cheesy jokes.

They still do weird things with the dialog and characters, but there's more eventful plots that people ignore the flaws.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Galavant :stare:

Vinnie Jones in Galavant :catstare:

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

The Duke posted:

Lol at all these dumb people who didn't realise it's a good show from the start.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Deadpool posted:

I think you got tricked by someone.

Yeah, I did some looking afterwards and it turns out to have been a fake story. Which is strange because it wasn't written in a satirical manner or anything like that and it just seems like a bizarre thing to lie about.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It's click bait to get advertising money.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Rocksicles posted:

Yeah maybe space opera, i'm not really a someone who pays attention to genre terms. I knows what i likes. I'm a huge fan of space battles.

I've mentioned this in a few other places, but keep an eye out for the new show Dark Matter filming in Canada. It a new ship-based scifi show due out later in 2015. It starts filming in a few weeks.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Syfy is also putting out a series based on the Expanse books. While not exactly space opera it should have some space combat scenes.

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004
Babylon 5 had a pretty good set of endings.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

GreenNight posted:

I've mentioned this in a few other places, but keep an eye out for the new show Dark Matter filming in Canada. It a new ship-based scifi show due out later in 2015. It starts filming in a few weeks.

Yeah, but its made by the people behind Stargate and Lost Girl, so if you're expecting something on the level of BSG or Caprica, you're going to be sorely disappointed.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Anyone who likes Sci-Fi and doesn't like Stargate is lite on a few chromosomes.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think all the stargates are garbage except for Universe which meant I was the only person on here with that opinion when the show was on.

Also ATLA had a great ending and was a great show.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I know Stargate is good because Siffy used to air 6 hours of Stargate on Monday.

Arrow is garbage.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jan 5, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mythbusters has a six minute promo highlighting the changes they're making for the new season.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The only good Star anything is Starsky and Hutch.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

Mythbusters has a six minute promo highlighting the changes they're making for the new season.

It looks like everything fans have been demanding since the show went full retard a few years back. Can't wait.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Whoa I just found out Ellie Goulding sings the CW TV Now theme :eyepop:

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

EL BROMANCE posted:

First Futurama finale was amazing, second one was pretty decent too.

The Office ended really well given how much it had gone downhill.

The best of the 4(?) Futurama finales were the first one and (thankfully) the last one.

Other good shows that had good finales:
The Shield
30 Rock
Breaking Bad
Seinfeld (gently caress you it was good)
Lost
The Office UK (counting the Xmas special as the finale)
Life on Mars US (loved the "WTF" factor in this one)
Quantum Leap
Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

M...mods?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Life on Mars (UK) and Ashes to Ashes had pretty great finales. The Colbert Reports finale was amazing.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Only Fools and Horses had a great finale in 1996. Shame about the ones they did after Buster Merryfield's passing.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Amazon has changed its mind about The After.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Ha, poo poo. Was looking forward to that. Well I still got Bosch I guess.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I wouldn't consider anything from the last few seasons of Quantum Leap "good," but the finale is an excellent example of how to construct a satisfying ending with no closure. I know the current generation has an immature need for everything to be wrapped up in a neat little package, but life is messy, and you don't always get the closure you want. When you break up with your girlfriend, she doesn't immediately die in a fiery car accident. The coworker you hated for years wasn't blown up in 9/11. And the president doesn't award you the Medal of Valor for posting a sick burn on Twitter. Sometimes 'and they kept doing what they've always done' is more realistic and more satisfying than any of the contrived finales people like to mention (Breaking Bad, Seinfeld, etc).

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Some people watch TV to get away from the poo poo that happens in life.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Irish Joe posted:

It looks like everything fans have been demanding since the show went full retard a few years back. Can't wait.

I haven't watched the show in years (mostly due to how annoying I thought the secondary build crew was) but with that video I think I might be back on board. They took all the things I like about the show and doubled down on them while losing all the things I didn't like.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Well Joe is not wrong that some shows should just learn to end it on a good note and let them sail off into the sunset. Maybe close a few things off but I much prefer shows that know they should end on "and they had more adventures after this", although to be fair that's what most shows that get canceled end up having to do anyway.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I'm one of those horrible people that always preferred the weird, wacky episode of Quantum Leap to the more traditional episodes dealing with social issues. And most of those weird wacky episodes happened to come in the later seasons.

For example:

Sam leaps into a chimp
Sam leaps into a guy with no legs (Sam can still walk)
Sam leaps into a blind guy (Sam can see)
Sam & Al switch places
Sam leaps into a criminal, who then somehow escapes the waiting room and al has to track him down
The evil leaper episodes
Sam leaps to the civil war somehow
Sam leaps into a vampire
Al is actually the devil
Sam leaps into lee Harvey Oswald
Sam leaps into Dr Ruth

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Sober posted:

Well Joe is not wrong that some shows should just learn to end it on a good note and let them sail off into the sunset. Maybe close a few things off but I much prefer shows that know they should end on "and they had more adventures after this", although to be fair that's what most shows that get canceled end up having to do anyway.

With Breaking Bad the whole premise was Mr. Chips turns to Scarface, so Walter White having a definite end was always known.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Sober posted:

• Locked thread