Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president

Magrov posted:

looks like bitstamp stopped trading 30 minutes ago. itshappening.gif

lol

more advanced version of unplugging the router, getting ready to cut and run, or legitimately hacked?

5 in any case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

Magrov posted:

lol

:allears:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

but transaction malleability was in the wiki

IT WAS IN THE WIKI

how could somebody abuse a bug that was well known?

poik007
Aug 16, 2006
Thinks Mother 3 is the best game ever
has anyone said bitscamp yet

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Magrov posted:

lol

lol

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

PokeJoe posted:

Magrov posted:

lol

lol

lol

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
bitstamp got buttstomped

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

the only true to reality bitcoin chart posted in ages

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
[–]Blaat1 7 points 21 hours ago
I have sold in december all my litecoins for Bitcoin. But also written of 15,000 USD as a loss. Hopefully i get some back when BTC will recover.....

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Erenthal posted:

the only true to reality bitcoin chart posted in ages

since a year ago, anyways

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
[–]cvdsandeLong-term Holder 2 points an hour ago*
this is real bad guys This does not look good gentlemen. i am convinced the hack is not new and this is the news which has been priced in during the weekend. i made exactly the wrong move before they went down an hour ago and got 100% out of fiat, hoping to withdraw all my btc, but it was too late.

Could this be the hacker's address?: https://blockchain.info/address/1L2JsXHPMYuAa9ugvHGLwkdstCPUDemNCf

[–]slowmoonBullish [score hidden] 25 minutes ago
Look at the transaction fees. 0.1 bitcoin? .02 bitcoin? WTF? Looks like someone trying to grab BTC from tons of addresses and make the transactions irreversible ASAP. It's not necessarily a thief. I guess it could also be Bitstamp rapidly transferring everything they can to a cold wallet address as part of their security breach protocol. But it could also be a thief.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

RubberJohnny posted:

[–]cvdsandeLong-term Holder 2 points an hour ago*
this is real bad guys This does not look good gentlemen. i am convinced the hack is not new and this is the news which has been priced in during the weekend. i made exactly the wrong move before they went down an hour ago and got 100% out of fiat, hoping to withdraw all my btc, but it was too late.

Could this be the hacker's address?: https://blockchain.info/address/1L2JsXHPMYuAa9ugvHGLwkdstCPUDemNCf

[–]slowmoonBullish [score hidden] 25 minutes ago
Look at the transaction fees. 0.1 bitcoin? .02 bitcoin? WTF? Looks like someone trying to grab BTC from tons of addresses and make the transactions irreversible ASAP. It's not necessarily a thief. I guess it could also be Bitstamp rapidly transferring everything they can to a cold wallet address as part of their security breach protocol. But it could also be a thief.

oh please sweet baby satan i dont ask you for much, give us this one

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

the protocol doesn't have the user explicitly set miner's fees. any difference between inputs and outputs are a miner's fee. so a badly written client can send the transaction but then dump the rest as a fee if it forgets a change address.

lol if bitstamp had code that did that while they weren't paying attention.

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
[–]slowmoonBullish [score hidden] 46 minutes ago*
18,864 BTC. Sheeit. That's over 5 million dollars. What kinda cash you think bitstamp has on hand? If everybody wants to withdraw their money, does Bitstamp have 5 million liquid sitting around to cover it + their operating expenses? It would be good policy for them to always keep enough cash on hand just in case their hot wallets got emptied.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

RubberJohnny posted:

[–]slowmoonBullish [score hidden] 46 minutes ago*
18,864 BTC. Sheeit. That's over 5 million dollars. What kinda cash you think bitstamp has on hand? If everybody wants to withdraw their money, does Bitstamp have 5 million liquid sitting around to cover it + their operating expenses? It would be good policy for them to always keep enough cash on hand just in case their hot wallets got emptied.

somebody's not a fan of fractional-reserve banking

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://twitter.com/pmarca/status/551986368629338112
Marc Andreessen ‏@pmarca
The BTC currency is an emergent property of the Bitcoin blockchain. Blockchain has value without BTC, but BTC has value from the blockchain.

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

surebet posted:

especially since each coin had a :airquote: nominal value :airquote: of 20$, and a current market value of 4$

these things happen, just like one bitcoin is worth hundreds of thousands of dollars but only trades for $271

if this adiabatic price contraction continues, we could reach pressures of over a thousand dollars per dollar
it goes without saying that bitcoin is primed to blow at any moment
when the rebound comes i wouldn't be surprised to see couscousian coins shoot up into the air out of pure physical necessity

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

and all i can hear is that medical drama flatline noise.

beep... beep... beep....beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Magrov posted:

lol

:rip: bitstamp

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

hey bitstamp, I know a guy who has $20 $10 over $5 million Bitcoin handy if you have trouble filling orders. tell him his investment will be worthless if he doesn't help.

poik007
Aug 16, 2006
Thinks Mother 3 is the best game ever
ripstamp

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
I thought things would stop happening but they keep happening they just don't stop. so long as more than two bitcoiners have bitcoins things will happen until the heat death of the universe that's cryptography

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
every morning I catch up on this thread and then go rub one out because otherwise my nuts would explode from all the happening

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

hail cat satan

poik007 posted:

ripstamp

:rip:

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
So sad that something designed for the good of humanity attracts all the bad of humanity. (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 4 hours ago by daanbarnard
There is not a single week that goes by that I don't read of a scam of lost or stolen coins in the crypto world I really think all involved should take a good look at our selfs! Bitcoin means more to me than making a quick buck it empowers me do to business with people all over the world and it makes it easy to be honest I can't image my world without it now. Please people lets make 2015 special and safe for al involved the world really needs this technology! Happy new year reddit.

so close

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Iridium posted:

and all i can hear is that medical drama flatline noise.

beep... beep... beep....beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

:gizz:

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
[–]rob2360 15 points 2 hours ago
Yeah - as a user of bitstamp I can see the sending addresses are definitely bitstamp's. e.g. 19jQz2ajiCN1hmavUkCrxKWnZwCfhQgJ9e was used to send me some coins in a withdrawal and is also one of the addresses used to send the first 3,100 coins. So it is defo bitstamp withdrawals (or maybe - hopefully - a sweep)

[–]sqrt7744 6 points an hour ago
Please be a sweep, the thought of a loving thief getting all that coin makes me want to throw up. No kudos, just a oval office.

[–]baron1703 4 points an hour ago
The transactions started in the early morning yesterday, long before problems were reported by users on reddit (yesterday evening), and long before stamp halted trading (today morning)

[–]viajero_loco[S] 8 points 4 hours ago*
gently caress, it's 14% of their whole stash! no way they are gonna be able to refund this!
https://blockchain.info/address/1JoktQJhCzuCQkt3GnQ8Xddcq4mUgNyXEa
note how this cold walled adress lines up with their suspending perfectly as well!
edit: maybe they can, if they cashed out some of there coins genereted by fees at the right time... we'll have to wait and see how this one playes out!

[–]baron1703 2 points an hour ago*
http://www.walletexplorer.com/wallet/6e20c5b8ebb819c7?from_address=1L2JsXHPMYuAa9ugvHGLwkdstCPUDemNCf
tldr: all incoming transactions are from bitstamp hotwallet addresses.
The transactions started 04.01.15 in the morning, problems reported by users in the evening. Next day morning stamp is down.

[–]btcdrak 1 point 12 minutes ago
Actually there were reports in the morning yesterday but redditor and moderators made sure those were downvoted or deleted into oblivion.

i'm cum

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
even better was this, i forgot how quickly these came together

quote:

02/10/2013 - Arrest of Dread Pirate Roberts.
03/10/2013 - Bitcoin talk is hacked again, apparently because of a backdoor from the 2011 hack (screenshot).
nice work bob :)

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I'm having a hard time deciding which would be more amusing:

someone hacked bitstamp and drained 18k butts

or

bitstamp's software hosed up and sent 18k butts to an address they don't know the key to.

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord

RubberJohnny posted:

[–]btcdrak 1 point 12 minutes ago
Actually there were reports in the morning yesterday but redditor and moderators made sure those were downvoted or deleted into oblivion.
:pusheen:

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Shifty Pony posted:

or

bitstamp's software hosed up and sent 18k butts to an address they don't know the key to.

i think the second, but they're both really really funny

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

remember that posting facts u dislike is a bannable offense

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord

surebet posted:

some light reading while the market decides in which way it's going to poo poo itself next:
https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/fake-transaction-chains-double-2014-bitcoin-volume/
i'm the big shouty

sidebar image on a pretend-professional website

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
http://ftalphaville.ft.com/2015/01/05/2079012/who-needs-caveat-emptor-when-youve-got-bitcoin/

quote:

Now, we don’t want to show too much schadenfreude following the learned responses we got to posts explaining the fundamental flaws of the scheme back in September, when Bitcoin prices were still tottering around the $400s. Buttcoin Reddit is doing a fine job of that already.

(*Btw – how nuts are the markets when the most objective and reasonable analysis of a new asset class pumped by the great and the good in the tech world comes by way of a parody sub-Reddit entitled Buttcoin?)

But what’s really interesting, we think, is the apparent failure of caveat emptor effects in the digital age. After all, it was only in February 2014 that Bitcoin’s primary exchange Mt. Gox filed for bankruptcy protection. You’d think the community would have learned a lesson about investing money in totally unproven, opaque companies operated by individuals with little to no financial management experience?

But no. Within a matter of days the community had — through the magic of “crowd wisdom” — decided that Bitstamp was a worthy replacement for all their wealth, despite the company having scant financial credentials or anything remotely resembling a track record.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Shifty Pony posted:

or

if you send butts to an unknown address can you claim that as a donation on your taxes

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

RubberJohnny posted:

[–]sqrt7744 6 points an hour ago
Please be a sweep, the thought of a loving thief getting all that coin makes me want to throw up

me too, but for the opposite reason

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer
i'm confused, because christmas was two weeks ago

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!
excelent new article in the buttcoin foundation site. i havent read it yet, but nicsho is not the author, and that is good for buttcoin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

quote:

Looks like this crash may be because someone just stumbled upon some very cheap coins

the idea that their hot wallet's contents being sold off en masse is the cause of the crash is going to keep me warm at night

but remember, crashes only happen when the news for bitcoin is good

• Locked thread