Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dravinski
May 5, 2013

I think Limmy has only been in weekly wipe by Brooker so far, so maybe we'll see him again in 2015?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
That song holy poo poo :allears:

Fantastic hour of telly there

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Yeah I can see why the most inoffensive comedian who ever existed can evoke such hatred.

Michael McIntyre?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Charlie Brooker is looking tired.

Also, that one Richard Curtis parody was so pitch perfect it was all I could think about through his bit.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

stickyfngrdboy posted:

It was a quality piece.

I missed the very end, is there a new series of wipe due?

Yeah. Although I haven't seen any date on it, just that it'll probably start in January.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
Has anyone been watching Mapp and Lucia?

I found the books really intolerable, but love E.F. Benson's ghost stories, and am glad that the TV series is more watchable.

It's really deeply strange watching a modern adaptation though, E.F. was very obviously gay and an alcoholic, but seems to have been completely unaware of this. The weird semi-autobiographical novel where he decides to get married because he gets hit by lighting and sees an angel (but secretly its satan), then realises watching men frolic on a beach is more 'wholesome' than getting hitched. So watching the 'straight' characters being so very obviously gay when behaving the way they are supposed to on screen is eye opening.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I heard a saturday review which called it poo poo, and likened it to the P.G. Woodehouse adaptation which I found just awful.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Oh god that Richard Curtis bit in the Brooker end of the year recap.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Dec 31, 2014

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Yeah I can see why the most inoffensive comedian who ever existed can evoke such hatred.

Because his material is poo poo and he gets celebrated for it. See also Michael McIntyre, Jo Brand, Miranda, Mrs Browns Boys.

Didn't someone create an online Peter key joke generator a few years back that was pretty much spot on for the shite he calls "comedy"?

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

XMNN posted:

Charlie Brooker is looking tired.

Also, that one Richard Curtis parody was so pitch perfect it was all I could think about through his bit.

You mean this one? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKSGdByaUIA

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
There was one on youtube which had "but it was all an illsuion" like 6 times in an 11 minute video.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

Mr. Squishy posted:

I heard a saturday review which called it poo poo, and likened it to the P.G. Woodehouse adaptation which I found just awful.
I think they did a very good job considering the content of the novels as is. It is similar to Blandings (it has a comedy dog for 1 ep) but I thought it was a bit more lively and manners centred, and a bit less 'whoopsy hide in the cupboard'. poo poo tonnes better than Eastenders or tumble time or whatever the rest of the BBC schedule that isn't Charlie Brooker is. However it is that kind of comedy, so if you don't like Woodehouse, you probably wouldn't like Mapp.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
Are people confusing Adam Curtis with that bloke who wrote all those Hugh Grant movies?

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1bX3F7uTrg

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Kin posted:

Because his material is poo poo and he gets celebrated for it. See also Michael McIntyre, Jo Brand, Miranda, Mrs Browns Boys.

Didn't someone create an online Peter key joke generator a few years back that was pretty much spot on for the shite he calls "comedy"?

He gets celebrated because millions of people find him funny. Jokes don't have to be satire. See also all those other things you mention.

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

Peter Kay chat. Series 1 and 2 of Phoenix Nights were very different. How?

(Would be interested to hear all goons' thoughts)

CherryCat
Feb 21, 2011

That's a strawberry.

College Slice
Watching the big fat anniversary quiz and I'm already sick of Russell Brand turning round to gurn at the audience every five seconds. Either say something funny or gently caress off you smug prick.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Russell Brand was loving great tonight. The rest weren't all that funny, though Jack and Claudia had their moments.

Warwick Davis may as well have not been there, and was once again dragged out so that someone could say 'we got Warwick Davis'.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

CherryCat posted:

Watching the big fat anniversary quiz and I'm already sick of Russell Brand turning round to gurn at the audience every five seconds. Either say something funny or gently caress off you smug prick.

They should rename Mock the Week this

tdrules
Jan 12, 2014
Favourite fact about Mock the Week is that Andy "I'm just like ya mate down the pub" Parsons was in Footlights.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

This Yank enjoyed the Ian Dury musical sendup Brooker did on 2014 Wipe.

But overall, what a poo poo year this was to review. :(

I'm as tired typing this as Brooker looked presenting it.

tada.wav
Dec 24, 2013

tada.wav fucked around with this message at 14:01 on May 25, 2017

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

tada.wav posted:

I don't think they let you on TV if you weren't.

There's like one agency that is responsible for 90% of all comedians on the BBC, I believe.

Anyway, just rewatched 15 Storeys High and it's an actually good comedy show. If you haven't seen it, you really should. Everything about it is perfect.

Just thinking of a fish slice gives me the giggles.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ddraig posted:

There's like one agency that is responsible for 90% of all comedians on the BBC, I believe.

Would that be Chortle? I looked at their site the other day and it's basically everyone I can possibly think of.

http://www.chortle.co.uk/comics/

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Chortle is just a comedy guide. Sort of like the British Comedy Guide, but slightly worse.

http://www.offthekerb.co.uk/

This is the agency. If you're a comedian on TV, chances are good you're represented by this agency.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Ddraig posted:

Chortle is just a comedy guide. Sort of like the British Comedy Guide, but slightly worse.

http://www.offthekerb.co.uk/

This is the agency. If you're a comedian on TV, chances are good you're represented by this agency.

So is that the agency owned by Jack Whitehall's parents?

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

marktheando posted:

So is that the agency owned by Jack Whitehall's parents?

Not unless his father has gained supernatural powers that enabled him to humously change his own name and exist as the very much alive Michael Whitehall at the same time.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
Ive decided I really like Jack Whitehall btw

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Rolled Cabbage posted:

Not unless his father has gained supernatural powers that enabled him to humously change his own name and exist as the very much alive Michael Whitehall at the same time.

I'm far too sleep deprived to understand this post. So that's a no?

The Big Taff Man posted:

Ive decided I really like Jack Whitehall btw

I used to hate him but now I am indifferent to him.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Off the Kerb was owned by Addison Cresswell. The television division of Off the Kerb is called Open Mike Productions

Open Mike Productions creates such celebrated programs as Live at the Apollo and Michael McIntyre's Roadshow, many guests of which are often represented by Off the Kerb

So the company is siphoning BBC funds to create programs so it can pay talent it represents (and takes a cut from) to host/start in these programs that they also make.

Avalon is another big one that does something similar.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Hat Trick and Talkback are two more big comedy production houses owned/run by comedians. I think almost all of it is.

Comedy is funnelled onto the BBC (and british tv in general) through low risk, cheap routes. Either stand-up on things like Live at the Apollo, or sitcoms, sketches, and panel games on Radio 4. The way into those is nepotismcronyism.

goatface fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 5, 2015

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Jack Whitehall got freaked out by Mr Blobby, that makes him worthwhile

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Jack Whitehall's dialogue with Chico during the Big Fat Anniversary Quiz was amazing.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

sex pervert posted:

Peter Kay chat. Series 1 and 2 of Phoenix Nights were very different. How?

(Would be interested to hear all goons' thoughts)

I think Season 2 is a little meaner that Season 1 is. Season 1 seems more affectionate for its characters. There's a surprisingly nice moment in S1 during the singles night where Max sees Paddy chatting up a woman and it kind of lets you see this sadness because he hasn't met anyone. There's no joke there, the show doesn't make fun of him for it, it's just a minor thing. But it's something that S1 does that's largely lacking in S2. Plus Kay's ego takes over S2. It adds the declaration of 'Peter Kay's' before the title and he takes on directing duties.

It's certainly not bad by any means, and it's still pretty funny, but it just lacks the warmth of S1 and feels colder.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Comedian puts own name on thing he creates, idiots outraged.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
I liked that Miranda got married in the end. I mean, this was obvious, but I liked it anyway.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Rarity posted:

Jack Whitehall got freaked out by Mr Blobby, that makes him worthwhile

Probably one of the funniest things I've seen on TV in the past ten years. It's the way you can tell from the wobble in his voice that he's genuinely experiencing mortal terror and will probably need a good few sessions with a therapist to resolve it.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

I liked that Miranda got married in the end. I mean, this was obvious, but I liked it anyway.

Who to?

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Monsieur Murdoch Fan Club

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

I think it totally went against the message that Miranda had been trying to say through out her whole show. Plus, What's his name is a manipulative, lier, shady, rear end in a top hat who really just doesn't give a gently caress about her. I hated him. Always hated him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

goatface posted:

Hat Trick and Talkback are two more big comedy production houses owned/run by comedians. I think almost all of it is.

...and Baby Cow Productions, founded by Steve Coogan and Henry normal.