Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Buffy should've ended at season five.

I won't say Supernatural should've but it could've just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

OldSenileGuy posted:

Sam leaps into a vampire

The Scott Drakula episode is a really weird one on a Saturday morning.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

bobkatt013 posted:

It goes downhill in season 4, and then improves in the last season until it pisses on you in the final episode.

The last season is actually pretty bad too, "improving" after the previous seasons is a pretty low bar to clear.

zoux posted:

Supernatural had a couple of real shitawful seasons after 5 but I just finished watching season 9 on Netflix and it's the first time in a while that I'm actually looking forward to watching the next season. I think they have the potential for ending it better than season 5 if they stop spinning their wheels with brotherly "you lieeed to meeeee / no you lied to meeeeee" drama and Sam and Dean taking turns dying at the end of each season.

That ending hosed me up because I didn't know it was supposed to be the last one and there was no C&H in the next week's paper :smith:

raditts fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 5, 2015

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

zoux posted:

Buffy really should have ended after the fifth season and the sixth season was one of the worst seasons of television I've ever seen but they managed to get the show back on track and I thought the end of the seventh season was pretty good.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

zoux posted:

I agree on both accounts, but if Buffy stopped at season 5, we'd have missed out on some quality episodes. Once More, With Feeling alone was worth season 6, and the follow up, Tabula Rasa, was almost as good. 7 had Conversations With Dead People and that was about it. I hated it so much that I've not gone back to watch it since it aired. I just...can't stand preachy Buffy and Weepy Spike.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

smg77 posted:

Buffy really should have ended after the fifth season and the sixth season was one of the worst seasons of television I've ever seen but they managed to get the show back on track and I thought the end of the seventh season was pretty good.

I quit mid sixth season so I don't know.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

M...mods?

Not only will I allow it, I'll endorse it. Two out of three mods agree. Majority rule.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Not prestige, not trash: The rise of “mid-reputable” TV

So how about those "prestige shows". The label makes me want to throw up in my mouth sometimes. I like "prestige" shows but I don't really watch them for the sake of pretending to be cultured or anything.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Wouldn't "mid-reputable" TV just be "most stuff that's on TV"?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No most stuff on TV is garbage.

When ever we go "Dudes, x-show is legit good" that's a "mid-reputable show".

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

zoux posted:

I think it depends on who you ask.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

zoux posted:

When ever we go "Dudes, x-show is legit good" that's a "mid-reputable show".

Can't we just call it a "good show" then like we always have instead of some stupid goddamn term some internet columnist poo poo out?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Oh hey, good on Amazon for canning The After. A show that went so dumb in the last few minutes that I continue to forget it exists until someone else brings it up. I'm not sure I've ever seen a pilot that I was sold on halfway through but then ended in a way that made me laugh so hard and immediately trashed any good thoughts I had about it.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

raditts posted:

Can't we just call it a "good show" then like we always have instead of some stupid goddamn term some internet columnist poo poo out?
I don't think the problem lies with more hardcore TV watchers, it's about convincing casual viewers that Arrow/Flash/Person of Interest/The 100/Spartacus/etc. is worth watching while no one is calling them "prestige". It's like an after-effect of the lovely Hollywood/Oscar effect where people think they only want the best of the best without knowing what they like, so they hop on the liberal intelligentsia bandwagon without really questioning why they actually think they like Mad Men or Homeland (lol) or The Wire.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

raditts posted:

Or, more accurately, "a show I like" because calling drek like Arrow and Sleepy Hollow "good shows" is just begging for an argument.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Deadpool posted:

Oh hey, good on Amazon for canning The After. A show that went so dumb in the last few minutes that I continue to forget it exists until someone else brings it up. I'm not sure I've ever seen a pilot that I was sold on halfway through but then ended in a way that made me laugh so hard and immediately trashed any good thoughts I had about it.

It could have been interesting but then it just constantly went all over the place. Like I couldn't even tell you what exactly was going on.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Dish's OTT service was announced at CES: http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/5/7491071/dish-sling-tv-ott-internet-tv-announced-ces-2015

quote:

— you get access to a lineup of cable networks that includes TNT, TBS, CNN, Food Network, HGTV, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, the Disney Channel, ESPN, and ESPN2

Not really the spectrum of content I use, but I'm guessing it'll be an attractive option for some?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I don't care about most of those channels but at least someone is trying it I guess.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

I feel dumber having read this article. The shows might not be trash, but the AV Club's writers certainly are.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 5, 2015

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

JohnSherman posted:

Leverage's finale was pretty great.

Yeah it was. Parker delivering the speech at the end was fantastic.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

GreenNight posted:

Ha, poo poo. Was looking forward to that.

You have really bad opinions. I can't believe anyone actually thought that show was even decent. The characters were as as complex as a monosaccharide.

You didn't think the ending was terrible? Where this thing appears for no reason at all:

"The After" can spider crawl back where it came from.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Irish Joe posted:

Or, more accurately, "a show I like" because calling drek like Arrow and Sleepy Hollow "good shows" is just begging for an argument.

Have we all not figured out at this point that what people post about "good" and "bad" TV shows on the internet is a matter of opinion, or do we have to be on full-autist mode all the time?

Irish Joe posted:

I wouldn't consider anything from the last few seasons of Quantum Leap "good," but the finale is an excellent example of how to construct a satisfying ending with no closure. I know the current generation has an immature need for everything to be wrapped up in a neat little package, but life is messy, and you don't always get the closure you want. When you break up with your girlfriend, she doesn't immediately die in a fiery car accident. The coworker you hated for years wasn't blown up in 9/11. And the president doesn't award you the Medal of Valor for posting a sick burn on Twitter. Sometimes 'and they kept doing what they've always done' is more realistic and more satisfying than any of the contrived finales people like to mention (Breaking Bad, Seinfeld, etc).

I agree with this in theory, but they did a pretty sloppy job of it. They could have at least spelled his name correctly in the ending cards.
Also, text cards are pretty much the worst way to end any TV show.

...in my opinion.

The Nastier Nate posted:

My wife is watching Celeberity Apprentice and I cannot state enough how consistently I am disappointed in this show. It's such a great premise and I genuinely loved the 1st season of the non-celebrity apprentice, but once you throw "celebrities" into the mix, all the challenges throw business acumen out the window and it becomes about who can beg their celebrity friends for the most money.

The other problem is that at some point after the first season, NBC figured out they could make dump trucks of money by having half the challenges be about promoting some company. Which is why they are so many "create an advertising campaign for -".

I hear the British Apprentice is pretty good...

The Apprentice has never been anything other than an hour long vanity commercial for Donald Trump and Donald Trump's properties.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

raditts posted:

Have we all not figured out at this point that what people post about "good" and "bad" TV shows on the internet is a matter of opinion, or do we have to be on full-autist mode all the time?

Being precise has nothing to do with autism. We should all, as a rule, strive to express ourselves as clearly as possible. Otherwise, what's the point of all this? Why are we communicating with one another if not to be understood? There is a very real distinction between "I like this" and "I think this is good" and, if you are able to recognize it, you should express it when you write and speak to others.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sober posted:

I don't think the problem lies with more hardcore TV watchers, it's about convincing casual viewers that Arrow/Flash/Person of Interest/The 100/Spartacus/etc. is worth watching while no one is calling them "prestige". It's like an after-effect of the lovely Hollywood/Oscar effect where people think they only want the best of the best without knowing what they like, so they hop on the liberal intelligentsia bandwagon without really questioning why they actually think they like Mad Men or Homeland (lol) or The Wire.
Liberal intelligentsia bandwagon? Did I just stumble onto the set of Fox News?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I think that article is trying too hard to categorize what is simply a general evolution of TV that has caused a steady rise in quality of storytelling.

You have a story telling medium that's less than 100 years old (when looking at the fringe cases) and barely older than 60 years when looking at more modern network programming structures.

We are simply just getting better at this whole TV thing. We have better tools and we have better talent and that's resulting in a better product.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Josh Lyman posted:

Liberal intelligentsia bandwagon? Did I just stumble onto the set of Fox News?
No, I am pretty liberal myself but I do question if people who say, watch Mad Men because everyone else that they share values (liberal middle class is usually tied to MM viewers) with does it too, and not because they actually like it on their own merits. Watching prestige television for prestige television sake feels like the current cultural version of keeping up with the Joneses.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sober posted:

No, I am pretty liberal myself but I do question if people who say, watch Mad Men because everyone else that they share values (liberal middle class is usually tied to MM viewers) with does it too, and not because they actually like it on their own merits. Watching prestige television for prestige television sake feels like the current cultural version of keeping up with the Joneses.
I don't think that really happens. There are a lot of shows on TV, and normal people can't watch everything so they need some kind of filter. This comes in the form of recommendations from friends and critical acclaim. The fact that prestige shows are often recommended is a consequence of their quality, not some liberal hivemind.

Besides, not that many people watch prestige shows. Mad Men gets a fraction of the viewership of Jersey Shore or 2 Broke Girls.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Syfy's got the first nine minutes of 12 Monkeys up if you're interested.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Didn't the whole thing leak like a month ago?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I dunno?

I'd also like to take this opportunity to complain about Netflix's terrible iOS app, which is unnavigable and never updates. Their "just released" section is still poo poo from three months ago. DO BETTER NETFLIX!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

IRQ posted:

Didn't the whole thing leak like a month ago?

Haven't seen the pilot around, so maybe you're thinking of something else.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GreenNight posted:

Haven't seen the pilot around, so maybe you're thinking of something else.

Yeah I think it was just this thing, my mistake.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
So are we just going to use the Agents of SHIELD thread for Agent Carter? Cause if so I'll knock up a different OP and edit it in tomorrow.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Rarity posted:

So are we just going to use the Agents of SHIELD thread for Agent Carter? Cause if so I'll knock up a different OP and edit it in tomorrow.
What you mean there isn't going to be a separate and devoted thread filled with pictures of Hayley Atwell?

That sounds disappointing.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Where should I start with Battlestar Galactica?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Boatswain posted:

Where should I start with Battlestar Galactica?

The modern one? You'll want to watch the miniseries before the actual series proper.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

muscles like this? posted:

The modern one? You'll want to watch the miniseries before the actual series proper.

I've just heard good stuff about it but there seems to be a 100 different things to watch. I guess I'll start with the miniseries then.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Boatswain posted:

I've just heard good stuff about it but there seems to be a 100 different things to watch. I guess I'll start with the miniseries then.

Miniseries. Series. Caprica.

Ignore everything else.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Did anyone know Buzzfeed has real articles?

http://www.buzzfeed.com/kelleylcarter/the-rise-of-the-black-british-actor-in-america#.sin9Qv4Xk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

It's more cool to pretend buzzfeed is just a listicle site and has no intelligent merit :reddit:

• Locked thread