Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

##vote Winged Orpheus

You're paying a fair amount of attention to the thread, yet since you got called out for your lovely game related statement, you have made no further attempts. Please advance a mafia-related opinion.

Ok I really am starting to read here because I can't be arsed to sift through chesschat and setting up actual servers to play shooting games but what is the deal with this? Game isn't really happening and KFC does down HARD on Winged Orpheus. Very odd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Oh goddammit there seems to be content being referenced earlier than that comment. Buhhhh why must I read through things -______

mafia is hard,

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Somberbrero posted:

Okay, I agree. It's generally hard to make statements about alignment early in day one, especially when the thread has largely been nonserious. However, I think it's fairly clear you and others assign some value to Orpheus' post. I think it's shady to say that you don't have any opinion on him at all while you're coaching him to play less scummy.

What the hell is this awkwardness.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

I like ernie and Kumba's line of thought here on Winged Orpheus. Most voteworthy offense so far.

Uh, is this meant to be facetious, because:

Ernie. posted:

##vote winged orpheus

Kumbamontu posted:

##vote winged orpheus

Those are some excellent lines of thought.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

It's like Quidnose intentionally decided to refuse to understand anything at all.

~content~

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Eh, I think the CT case is a bad case but so is this. It's such an easy thing to jump on, someone commenting on a bad case. I think it is a really lazy and "by the books" case, rather than you actually feeling like you've found scum Rarity.

And I don't agree that KFC is worse for his post than Ernie or Kumba. Both those guys actually voted, KFC just said it was worst thing "so far". I think the players actually pushing the CT vote are scummier.

This is odd to me, because:

Rarity posted:

This is a lovely bandwagony-yet-noncommittal post so it looks like KFC's contributing without having to add an original thought of his own ##vote KFC CT's coaching post was also really bad.

Am I misreading that this is FV basically calling out Rarity for the same reasons she called out KFC? If that's the case, why did you not comment on FV being hypocritical at all? That seems like an odd thing to casually bring up but then not use as part of your case.

...which isn't really a case, FV's post there says absolutely nothing except "well Rarity you're kinda being lovely." Super noncommittal (which, again, is odd because that's why FV is calling out Rarity).

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Rarity posted:

It's D1. It's not even late D1, of course I don't have a slam dunk case yet cause nobody does. I just got a read that pinged me and followed through on it to see what would happen.

On the other hand I don't like this response.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Somberbrero posted:

Hey, I saw the deadline is tomorrow. WO has been more active than a bunch of people, myself included. I think that it'd be silly to lunch him today, especially when he hasn't played in a while.

This is the second time Somb white knights WO and it's making me have funny tummy feelings.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Somberbrero posted:

I mean, day one, if someone does something textbook scummy, it's a bad idea to lynch them because _______? Help me fill in the blank here.

I also really dislike this, it shows a real lack of any thought. Why would you do anything in mafia by the books without thinking about it. This doesn't even say "it's ok to go down this line of thinking to see where it goes," Somber seems to be advocating a knee-jerk lynch?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Somberbrero posted:

This is not at all rhetorical, can you explain the following for me?

If you agree that the points against KFC are good, what do you think of FV saying that Rarity's case on him is 'lazy' and too 'by the book'?

Why is voting someone based on a 'by the book' case a bad idea?

Is the case on Chic Trombone bad as in wrong, or bad as in scummy? Can you explain the thought behind your answer? FV seems to think it is both and hasn't explained why.

Somber what the hell are you doing

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Allen Wren posted:

This is not at all rhetorical, can you explain the following for me?

what the gently caress does 'this is not at all rhetorical' mean speak english

If you agree that the points against KFC are good, what do you think of FV saying that Rarity's case on him is 'lazy' and too 'by the book'?

wait i thought fv was talking about the ct case fml

Why is voting someone based on a 'by the book' case a bad idea?

because shut up

no seriously it's because there is gently caress all for content and basically we're still at the point where people are throwing poo poo at the wall and overreacting to it so there is no such thing as a by the book case at this point and so acting like there is one is scummy

Is the case on Chic Trombone bad as in wrong, or bad as in scummy? Can you explain the thought behind your answer? FV seems to think it is both and hasn't explained why.

what's the difference

what you want me to read fv's mind? gently caress if I know

I like Allen for town.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Ernie. posted:

hello,

our dearest friend winged orpheus tried to shoe-horn mafia gameplay where it doesn't belong because he felt like he had to

who feels like they 'have to' add mafia discussion, most people just shoot from the hip at what they disagree with

also notice how he's tried to stay under the radar by not commenting about it?

I missed this, when did it happen, ernie, since you seem to be here?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Dugong posted:

WO has been active but most of it has been game chat. That's not a criticism as it mirrors the thread as a whole. They said they haven't played SA mafia for a while. To me they are reading as someone that is trying to fit in due to following discussion but that could just be from rusty.

What is this, who is a Dugong. Are they new? This is awkward.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Dugong posted:

Quidnose is afk in spawn (not posting). Someone jump on their head.

This is a very, very, very odd callout. Why is Dugong policing the thread for activity?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Literally that callout comes out of nowhere for no reason.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Because I think "textbook scummy" doesn't net us scum much these days.

Your phrase "textbook scummy" is probably a better phrase than"by the book" but I think we mean similar things. It's one of those things the community has turned into a definitive scum call when I believe it isn't.

Rarity made a easy case, people make the whole "saying stuff without advancing an opinion is scum" case regularly and I don't think it's the scum gotcha that Rarity makes it out to be, at least not on D1. (A pattern of doing it across multiple days is a different matter.)

In my opinion is it an easy thing to call out. It's lazy. I know from experience that Rarity makes the easy cases as scum (sorry Rarity, no offense intended). So I'm suspicious of it and I pointed it out.

Somber & FV scum distracting slapfighting and trying to drag other people into it, calling it now. Jesus this is such a snoozefest of the fakes meta discussion I have seen in a long time.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Somberbrero posted:

Valk, I am not sure I see what is so scummy about an easy case. Yeah, opportunism is a thing sometimes, but it's very situational and I don't see it here. I also think that characterizing Rarity's vote as lazy and then making an alignment call based on a perceived meta for her is wrong, at best.

Somber continues it here, look at how forced this is.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Somberbrero posted:

I could agree with that but the timing in particular is odd. She acknowledges that Orpheus made a scummy/bad post, but it might look opportunistic to hop on at that juncture so she doesn't lay down a vote. I don't particularly like meta calls and it seems like that's most of your base here so I'm not convinced.

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Were both interpreting CT's post. Your interpretation is that she is trying to avoid looking opportunistic. Mine is that she's just being nice.

You are saying that my position is based on meta, therefore not convincing. What is your interpretation based on, other than your reading between the lines to determine CT's intent? Why should I find your position more convincing?

oh my god you two this is not even convincing.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Somberbrero posted:

I dunno if an argument over the validity of meta-gaming mafia is really worth either of our time, but I have a lot of work I'm avoiding so why not?

Reading into a player's alignment based on knowledge of their behavior in other games is super tempting. It's a way to generate content where there is none, and can be useful in particular situations. However, too often we try to apply meta arguments where they don't belong.

To start with, my acceptance of a meta argument is based on my trust that you are making an accurate and unbiased read on that player. I've played a single game with Chic Trombone, you've played a few and read a few others. I have no real way to judge whether that's the case, so how can I just accept your read? I don't even particularly agree with your read on Rarity and I've played with her a bunch.

There's just no reliable way to read someone without a lot of games to back up that assessment. Even then, you have to consider everything different between that game and the one you're playing. Everything. I've been in games where I've been called out for not playing like myself due to personal poo poo. I wouldn't trust myself to read you and I've watched and played over at least a dozen games with you.

As to why you should find my argument more reasonable, there's a reason some behavior is generally considered scummy. There are overarching trends in scum behavior because, at some point, the mafia have to lie. Newer players are especially cautious about plays that appear overeager or aggressive, I'm seeing that caution here.

##vote Somber

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

fiery_valkyrie posted:

There is also a reason why we give newbie players a pass in their first game and that's because what we have determined to be "scummy" behaviour is common behaviour in newbies.

Your opinion is based on a "newbie scum" meta. I think it as valid/not valid as mine.

FV is my next vote.

I'll stop quoting their back and forth because you get the point but please tell me I am not the only one seeing how forced all of this is. Ridiculous.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I've been feeling off about Somber this game, but not specifically that him and fv are faking a slapfight. His aggressiveness doesn't seem to have that earnest quality it usually does, but this is totally gut feeling.

Would vote Somber.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

Quidnose posted:

oh my god you two this is not even convincing.

It's not convincing because your read is wrong.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Yeah that's what I got for now. Thoughts?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

fiery_valkyrie posted:

It's not convincing because your read is wrong.

So you think Somber is being earnest?

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

Quidnose posted:

So you think Somber is being earnest?

Not sure, but we're not scum buds.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

You have no opinion beyond "dunno?" You've been talking to him pretty much exclusively.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Somber does feel a little forced but I haven't played with him enough to tell what that means about his alignment, some people always read forced to me

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Not sure, but we're not scum buds.

So are you saying you think he's town or telling Quid you aren't scum but dunno about Somber

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Because that's a super weird way to phrase that imo

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Quidnose posted:

You have no opinion beyond "dunno?" You've been talking to him pretty much exclusively.

I think he's sincere, but I don't think it is alignment indicative.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

what

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Chic Trombone posted:

Somber does feel a little forced but I haven't played with him enough to tell what that means about his alignment, some people always read forced to me

Somber is always very aggressive and pushes people a lot, but it usually comes out as trying to figure out the game and get at the heart of things. This back and forth doesn't really feel like that.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

fiery_valkyrie posted:

I think he's sincere, but I don't think it is alignment indicative.

This statement makes no sense to me.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Chic Trombone posted:

So are you saying you think he's town or telling Quid you aren't scum but dunno about Somber

The latter.

Chic Trombone posted:

Because that's a super weird way to phrase that imo

In what way? Because I didn't say "I'm not scum"?

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

fiery_valkyrie posted:

In what way? Because I didn't say "I'm not scum"?

It just ~feels weird~ i can't really quantify why but it bugs me that you phrased it that way

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Asiina posted:

This statement makes no sense to me.

For example, the big post where he gives us a lecture about meta. I think that is Somber's honest opinion on using meta to play the game. I also think he could make that post as scum or town.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

I find it odd you're not making an alignment call on him at all.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I haven't made an alignment call on anyone. I'm not sure yet.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I would be very happy not to have to discuss meta but that's most of what's being put forward.

I was hoping Quid would do something useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Somberbrero posted:

I would be very happy not to have to discuss meta but that's most of what's being put forward.

Bull. You know very well that discussing meta is a distraction in games, and to act like there's nothing you can do because there's been no content - that's crap. People have posted opinions on people, talk about that. Don't act like your hands are tied, that's scummy as hell.

• Locked thread