Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Most fun to Play
Hunter Team
Goliath
Kraken
Other
View Results

• Locked thread
JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Oh sweet a game where if the monster is half competent the hunter team chases it for 95% of the match and then gets curb stomped.

GotY? Please. I had such high hopes for a game that had monster hunting and jetpacks...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
*pushes b*

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

2k cross promotion deal allows you to play as a chrysalid for a monster, and an x-com squad for the hunters, i said, in my dreams.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
i saw video of this and wanted to play monster hunter

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

elf help book posted:

i saw video of this and wanted to play monster hunter

there a PC monster hunter yet

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Games been out for a while now, seems like if there was glaring gameplay issues they would've released or at least announced a patch.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

there a PC monster hunter yet

There's an MMO but apparently it sucks and isn't available to US IP addresses.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

No Such Thing posted:

Games been out for a while now, seems like if there was glaring gameplay issues they would've released or at least announced a patch.

theres no "issue" if the game is supposed to be boring

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

elf help book posted:

theres no "issue" if the game is supposed to be boring

Either way they 'chose' to be terrible.

Dec 26, 2012

second time's the charm, op

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I just remember trying to play with some imps and out of 2 hours we played maybe 30 minutes of the actual game because of how incredibly hosed up it was.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
I don't care if it was a closed NDA thing, the first alpha required everyone to mute their sound because you had 4 people constantly echoing all game audio through permanently open mics till it just generated screeching.

Good luck to turtle rock in their attempt to pull a fast one on console gamers.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Liquid Penguins posted:

I don't care if it was a closed NDA thing, the first alpha required everyone to mute their sound because you had 4 people constantly echoing all game audio through permanently open mics till it just generated screeching.

Good luck to turtle rock in their attempt to pull a fast one on console gamers.

Lol

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Does the "Other" option in the "Most Fun to Play" poll mean playing any other game?

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
it was unironically one of the worst games i ever played

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
never played it but it does seem like poo poo is lopsided in the monsters favor from what I've seen. that true at all?

metricchip
Jul 16, 2014

I feel like I've said it before but the game's pretty fun but nowhere near $60 worth of fun.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

I feel kind of bad for missing out on experiencing the steam beta firsthand. It sounded like the stuff of legends in terms of how broken it was.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
If you leaped as a monster you could get stuck behind invisible walls. Sometimes when you spawn as a human you'll fall to the starting area and then just fall through the floor and die. There was a 3 minute respawn timer. ayyy lmao

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Only good if you like hide and seek.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

AHungryRobot posted:

never played it but it does seem like poo poo is lopsided in the monsters favor from what I've seen. that true at all?

I have never seen a match where the goliath lost, unless it did something really stupid... Like try and attack before its final stage, just run and eat and run and eat and bam now you're a super monster... It's really stupid because the hunters can't split up or the monster can kill them, but if the hunters are all clumped together it's really hard to catch a good monster. I can't really comment on the Kraken, because pretty much everyone at the time was playing as goliath.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
the mario chase game on nintendo land seems like a way more fun version of this game

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Silver Striker posted:

There's an MMO but apparently it sucks and isn't available to US IP addresses.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

do any of us consciously choose to be terrible, or is it an intrinsic part of our nature?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Mr. Pumroy posted:

do any of us consciously choose to be terrible, or is it an intrinsic part of our nature?

don't know, you tell me

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I remember playing the steam beta and realizing that a decent match would almost require co-ordination between monster and hunters for a bit otherwise it would be complete curbstomping at the start or end. But I guess that's the point of the game? Didn't enjoy it

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I think the devs didn't think any of this through. Left 4 Dead was fun because there were two teams going up against each other that were, for the most part, fairly balanced and there was a lot of action going on most of the time. In Evolve, it's basically 30 or so boring minutes of you chasing around some fucker in the woods to hopefully find him and kill him before he turns into a Godzilla knock-off and skullfucks you all to death within a minute. So about half or more of the time, you're just wandering around looking for poo poo. So basically unless the enemy monster guy fucks up because of the many bugs in this game or is an idiot, you lose.

That and the controls and multiplayer was loving awful.

SunAndSpring fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jan 6, 2015

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Acquire Currency! posted:

I remember playing the steam beta and realizing that a decent match would almost require co-ordination between monster and hunters for a bit otherwise it would be complete curbstomping at the start or end. But I guess that's the point of the game? Didn't enjoy it
This is pretty much the problem with any 1vX sort of full-fledged cat-vs-mice type game/mod that isn't a Mario Party mini-game. lot of WC3 mods had this problem and most were poo poo to play, even if cool in theory. granted, sometimes you got the perfect balance and they were really fun but it was mostly just a waste of time for the full-team if there was a complete noob in the 1 spot because they'll just get stomped and quit halfway through after being perplexed by everything, or really good person in the 1 and discoordinated pubbies in the X slots would be pretty much waste since you can see imminent death coming in 30 minutes.

SunAndSpring posted:

I think the devs didn't think any of this through. Left 4 Dead was fun because there were two teams going up against each other that were, for the most part, fairly balanced and there was a lot of action going on most of the time. In Evolve, it's basically 30 or so boring minutes of you chasing around some fucker in the woods to hopefully find him and kill him before he turns into a Godzilla knock-off and skullfucks you all to death within a minute. So about half or more of the time, you're just wandering around looking for poo poo. So basically unless the enemy monster guy fucks up because of the many bugs in this game or is an idiot, you lose.

:agreed: it takes a lot to pull off this type of game and they didn't have what it took. it should have been like a $15 price point tops too given the small niche they put themselves in. they prolly should have just stuck to making left3dead or something

Xaris fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jan 6, 2015

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Yeah I agree. I think WC3's custom game of sheep tag was the best [small team] v [big team]. Maybe Evolve should be reversed where the monster needs to hunt the hunters down and after x-time the hunters win? Although I still don't know if that would work since in Sheep Tag the sheep team split up naturally anyway because their buildings required mutually exclusive land.

Dec 26, 2012

idk how evolve works exactly but if youre literally encouraged to just run away as the monster and you dont have anything that would be smart to actively do to mitigate how boring that sounds then something went terribly wrong in the design process

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
In order for the Monster to upgrade to a new level, it must eat the flesh of AI animals roaming the environment. There's not really a reason to fight the hunters as level 1 monster, even 1 on 1 because the time to kill has a high risk of the team showing up and then you lose. At level 2, ostensibly the monster could take out some lone hunters without risk of auto losing. However by that point you're already 66% of the way to final form so why bother attacking?

Then there's structures that are attacked. Also for the hunters some of the AI animals will gently caress you up. There's some amphibian monster type thing that 1-hit kills hunters lmao

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

metricchip posted:

I feel like I've said it before but the game's pretty fun but nowhere near $60 worth of fun.
are there any games that are $60 worth of fun? it seems like a common line of game criticism these days is "if this game cost (number less than $60) then it'd be worth buying"

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

01011001 posted:

idk how evolve works exactly but if youre literally encouraged to just run away as the monster and you dont have anything that would be smart to actively do to mitigate how boring that sounds then something went terribly wrong in the design process

See if the monster runs away like it's supposed to then that's boring.
If it doesn't do that right then the game ends early and that sucks.
But if the monster runs away well enough then it's almost got the whole thing in the bag. Which is hard to blame the other team for if it just runs away well enough.

You're right none of that seems to work. But that's how the game is supposed to flow. The only balance between monster and hunters seems that one can kill the other easily at some point in the game without a middle ground. It seems like it wouldn't work even on paper.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Y-Hat posted:

are there any games that are $60 worth of fun

I got my 60 dollars out of Secret of Mana with my brother back in the day.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Y-Hat posted:

are there any games that are $60 worth of fun? it seems like a common line of game criticism these days is "if this game cost (number less than $60) then it'd be worth buying"

probably metal gear solid 5 when it comes out

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

If they put mods in it it wouldn't be fun but at least 15 Russian people would play on a private server 10 years from now so they could shoot for that with Evolve.

Hoodrich
Feb 4, 2011

by Reene
lots of games are worth $60

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I guess I don't hate evolve I did get to play it for free. I can kinda appreciate that they didn't just want to make another left4dead when there are already so many zombie games but..... I'd rather have that than this

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor, The Sims 4 and a few Wii U things are the only things I'm glad I spent 60 dollars on lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Acquire Currency! posted:

I guess I don't hate evolve I did get to play it for free. I can kinda appreciate that they didn't just want to make another left4dead when there are already so many zombie games but..... I'd rather have that than this

I didn't hate it until I spent forever downloading it on cardboard internet and then spent 2 hours trying to play a game with 3 friends that wouldn't let us queue up with a 5th (it forces you to use a pubbie for the monster).

Hate is a strong word though. Hmm.

• Locked thread