Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Most fun to Play
Hunter Team
Goliath
Kraken
Other
View Results

• Locked thread
Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Acquire Currency! posted:

I guess I don't hate evolve I did get to play it for free. I can kinda appreciate that they didn't just want to make another left4dead when there are already so many zombie games but..... I'd rather have that than this

I didn't hate it until I spent forever downloading it on cardboard internet and then spent 2 hours trying to play a game with 3 friends that wouldn't let us queue up with a 5th (it forces you to use a pubbie for the monster).

Hate is a strong word though. Hmm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
It was awful? That sorta blows. I loved Monster Hunter, and getting to be the big loving tiger-dinosaur instead of the guy ineffectually prodding the big loving tiger dinosaur with a giant corncob sounded like a cool idea for a game.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

LordHippoman posted:

It was awful? That sorta blows. I loved Monster Hunter, and getting to be the big loving tiger-dinosaur instead of the guy ineffectually prodding the big loving tiger dinosaur with a giant corncob sounded like a cool idea for a game.

If they fix a bunch of poo poo real fast it could be worth 30. Like, some of this stuff shouldn't be that hard to fix unless they just have their heads up their asses.

:negative:

Hoodrich
Feb 4, 2011

by Reene
from the first gameplay video it was obvious this game was bad,

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Hoodrich posted:

This.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Hoodrich posted:

Game Informer said it was gonna be awesome

Dec 26, 2012

Acquire Currency! posted:

You're right none of that seems to work. But that's how the game is supposed to flow. The only balance between monster and hunters seems that one can kill the other easily at some point in the game without a middle ground. It seems like it wouldn't work even on paper.

well tahts my issue, idk how someone didnt think about this for long enough to sort even the base concept out

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I guess you could say Evolve is a victim of natural selection

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Hoodrich posted:

i would say from the anouncement of a $60 1v4 game it was gunna be bad. like they'd have to pull of a feat the likes of reincarnating jesus to make that work

Hoodrich
Feb 4, 2011

by Reene

Eye of Widesauron posted:

Game Informer said it was gonna be awesome

remember the video game magazine with seanbaby in it.. that was epic

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

You could have a 1v4 game where you alternate between 4 black dudes beating a cop and 4 cops beating a black dude and it would sell like crazy

They just hosed up bad with this one

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

for gently caress sake

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

When you level up your black dude he steals a cigarillo and charges the 4 cops

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Dexters Secret posted:

for gently caress sake

mistakes were made

(the mistake was poo pooposting about rape in D&D)

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
its a game where the first 15 min are 4 dudes chasing a faster dude around in circles by design

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Wormskull posted:

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor, The Sims 4 and a few Wii U things are the only things I'm glad I spent 60 dollars on lately.
sounds about right for 2014 games

Dexters Secret posted:

for gently caress sake
if evilweasel posted the way he does and he weren't a mod of the most stuck-up forum on SA, he'd have been banned years ago

as it is he's the longest-tenured not-dead mod of D&D

El Wombato
Mar 19, 2008

Mexican Marsupial
i didnt even play this but make the monster attack humans bases and steal poo poo to level up. ping the humans' map when it attacks so they can respond. hell maybe even let em upgrade poo poo about the bases.

blammo now the monster has to take risks and think about where/when/how long he attacks. the humans have to decide do they spread out so there's somebody to cover everywhere or wolfpack and respond to attacks.

woops i thought of a better game in 5 minutes

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
Its obvious you haven't played it cause those mechanics are basically already in the game

El Wombato
Mar 19, 2008

Mexican Marsupial
well the main thing I meant was make the monster attack bases and not random animals, let the players defend the poo poo the monster needs to level up

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Every gameplay video of this I saw was four people jumping and chasing one guy and killing him within like 10-15 minutes while he had basically zero chance of doing enough damage to drop a hunter into last stand, but if he managed it one of the hunters buddies would just pick him back up immediately so they can keep dominating the monster, and also the hunters had a big sci-fi-magic shield that the monster can't escape from.

Hoodrich posted:

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Eye of Widesauron posted:

I didn't hate it until I spent forever downloading it on cardboard internet and then spent 2 hours trying to play a game with 3 friends that wouldn't let us queue up with a 5th (it forces you to use a pubbie for the monster).

Hate is a strong word though. Hmm.

They don't let you play with 4 buddies to try and have fun fighting each other? Who thought that was a good idea

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

SarutosZero posted:

They don't let you play with 4 buddies to try and have fun fighting each other? Who thought that was a good idea

woah you might cheat if you play against a friend!

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dexters Secret posted:

for gently caress sake

rip

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Liquid Penguins posted:

I don't care if it was a closed NDA thing, the first alpha required everyone to mute their sound because you had 4 people constantly echoing all game audio through permanently open mics till it just generated screeching.

Good luck to turtle rock in their attempt to pull a fast one on console gamers.

Lol. But I'm also reporting you to the developers.

Dec 26, 2012

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
doesn't seem too hard to fix evolve, if the game wasnt about to come out or whatever.

just make it 4v2, and give the monsters a reason to attack the hunters early and give hunters something to do early if the monster doesnt attack.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Just turn it into a moba.

El Wombato
Mar 19, 2008

Mexican Marsupial
I think basically the way to fix it is to turn it into NS2 except the monster upgrades rather than builds stuff

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

The way to fix it is to play left 4 dead 2 versus with a bunch of buddies instead of handing over 60 bucks for this turd.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Does Giants:CK still run on pcs as an alternative giant monster multiplayer game to this pile?

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

elf help book posted:

woah you might cheat if you play against a friend!

is it some garbage reason like there are bullshit account unlocks like profile icons!! and weapon skins!! that they dont want people to be able to "farm" by playing games with just friends

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

SarutosZero posted:

is it some garbage reason like there are bullshit account unlocks like profile icons!! and weapon skins!! that they dont want people to be able to "farm" by playing games with just friends

i think you level up and unlock stuff like in cod but i forget, that is probably the reason even tho they could just have friend matches not give xp or whatever

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Asymmetrical multiplayer is hard :(

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Asymmetrical multiplayer is hard :(

natural selection 1 (and 2 to a.. dependingly lesser extent) managed to do it just fine, and that was a free mod. NS1 was my favorite multipalyer game ever. but it had equal teams which is pretty much the way to go since cat v. mice tends to be a boring pushover shitfest if theres a noob in the cat spot, or tends to be a complete no-chance rape if the cat is good.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Naw, everyone was garbage at the game in beta. By the end, I was going up against some really well organized 4 man groups that could kill monsters even at stage 3.

The problem was that most players only had the default hunters while the second tier were better for team comp. Also, there are a lot of minor things players can do or notice while playing to catch monsters that just run away. If the monster just runs, and you have any of the t2 hunters, the monster gonna get hosed since t2 hunters have better tracking and trapping.

The game had poo poo loading issues, so I can't fault people for being bad cuz you would get in like 3 matches in 2 hours.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Snatch Duster posted:

Naw, everyone was garbage at the game in beta. By the end, I was going up against some really well organized 4 man groups that could kill monsters even at stage 3.

The problem was that most players only had the default hunters while the second tier were better for team comp. Also, there are a lot of minor things players can do or notice while playing to catch monsters that just run away. If the monster just runs, and you have any of the t2 hunters, the monster gonna get hosed since t2 hunters have better tracking and trapping.

The game had poo poo loading issues, so I can't fault people for being bad cuz you would get in like 3 matches in 2 hours.

nice, games that want to be competitive and force you to unlock things are "extremely win" as they say

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Minrad posted:

nice, games that want to be competitive and force you to unlock things are "extremely win" as they say

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

personally, I don't see why Evolve can't be the next League of Legends

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

Minrad posted:

personally, I don't see why Evolve can't be the next League of Legends

not enough microtransactions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
can we steer this thread into a discussion on GOOD asymmetrical multiplayer? The Hidden fuckin' owns imo

• Locked thread