Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Monolith. posted:

Well, I figured it out as I didn't talk to the scientists after getting the new faction quest. Still, a lot of stuff is pretty cryptic and it sucks if you picked up the Informant's quests and then forget where you're supposed to look.

I'm finding this too with Informant quests: I've no idea what you're meant to be doing. I've been ignoring them for the most part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Is there a good subtitles mod that's compatible with ZRP?

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

nexus6 posted:

I'm finding this too with Informant quests: I've no idea what you're meant to be doing. I've been ignoring them for the most part.

There's a flash drive at the Sawmill, one in the Yanov container warehouses, and one somewhere else that I absolutely cannot remember. There's a good thread over on GSC game world with some good help.

Protip spoiler for the container warehouses: Do all of Chepaev's stuff ASAP, get the vanilla quest to rescue the stalker, then go to the warehouses. They should allow you in, before you actually go in and talk to the boss, scour the area for the flash drive. I found it up high near one of the nonaccessible buildings but it does randomize. When you collect Mitay and go to leave, one of the bandits will try to rob you for everything you have. I solved this by reloading and simply putting a bullet in his head before he spoke to me.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Is the Steam version of ShoC the worldwide version?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

To close out my questions from earlier in the thread: ZRP + Absolute Nature & Structures + Shaders (from OP) + Stalker Weather Overhauled (3.1.1; I used the user.ltx from it) makes for a fantastic game.

Photorealistic Zone 2 didn't look as good as just Absolute N+S, though I'm basing that on farting around Cordon.

The only stutter problem I've had so far has been directly tied to enabling fires-are-light-sources in ZRP. However, that's too cool an effect to disable. Setting flip queue size to 1, enabling vsync and triple-buffering on my AMD (7970) card mitigated most of the resulting stutter. Not giving up the feature, regardless, it does too much for atmosphere.

Aside: How do you monitor hunger outside of the fork&knife popup? Do y'all just wait for that to show up before eating?

What causes the blue mental health bar to drop? Mine is slightly off full and the only thing I can think off to cause that is the rads I picked up at Nimble's stash and the resulting couple bottles of Vodka. Does lack of sleep contribute to that dropping?

E: user.ltx from SWO, not shaders.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 30, 2014

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Psy health can be taken by two things:

Controllers (and psychic attacks in general) or psi-fields. There aren't too many in the vanilla game, but the Scorcher is the obvious one (although this actually does rupture damage, not psychic)

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Ddraig posted:

Psy health can be taken by two things:

Controllers (and psychic attacks in general) or psi-fields. There aren't too many in the vanilla game, but the Scorcher is the obvious one (although this actually does rupture damage, not psychic)

Thanks. However, I haven't left Cordon yet and have lost maybe a 10th of the bar. I have walked into various anomalies, though.

I've left the "scorcher does psy damage not rupture" option in ZRP enabled, since that's the default.

How does one recover psy health?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
It basically heals over time. I think vodka helps, but that's more often than not a mod-added option rather than something that was included to begin with.

If I remember correctly, psy-health doesn't actually do ANYTHING in SoC without patches/fixes. It is supposed to kill you if it drops to zero but I believe it was broken at release.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Ddraig posted:

It basically heals over time. I think vodka helps, but that's more often than not a mod-added option rather than something that was included to begin with.

If I remember correctly, psy-health doesn't actually do ANYTHING in SoC without patches/fixes. It is supposed to kill you if it drops to zero but I believe it was broken at release.

Good to know, thanks. I assume ZRP fixes the death portion, else its "replace rupture with mental damage at some point in the game I have never seen" option doesn't make sense.

The various effects and their resistances are very opaque in this game, somewhat unfortunately. http://zsg.dk has come to the rescue, but I wish the core game would explain many of the numbers you see.

ZRP rocks! It's great that it has a program to modify and tweak the game.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Oh man, I managed to downgrade my ShoC to 1.0005 and now Legendary runs with no crashes. Still hitches every so often but its awesome.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

So I started playing ShoC again, this time with ZRP. Does it include the sleeping bag mod? I assume it doesn't, as I didn't start with one.

If it doesn't have the sleeping bag, should I download this?

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Dec 31, 2014

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

ThaumPenguin posted:

So I started playing ShoC again, this time with ZRP. Does it include the sleeping bag mod? I assume it doesn't, as I didn't start with one.

ZRP does include one but it's disabled by default. You have to run the modifier program inside gamedata in order to enable it. See http://www.metacognix.com/stlkrsoc/modifier.html

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

v1ld posted:

ZRP does include one but it's disabled by default. You have to run the modifier program inside gamedata in order to enable it. See http://www.metacognix.com/stlkrsoc/modifier.html

I've actually been messing around with the modifier program quite a bit, but I can't find the sleeping bag option anywhere.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

ThaumPenguin posted:

I've actually been messing around with the modifier program quite a bit, but I can't find the sleeping bag option anywhere.

I just checked, ABC Sleeping Bag shows up for me right after _ZRP Mod Stuff in that list. You're also missing the next entry after the sleeping bag: Autosaves.

Check the _ZRP.cfg file to see if those entries are in it.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

v1ld posted:

I just checked, ABC Sleeping Bag shows up for me right after _ZRP Mod Stuff in that list. You're also missing the next entry after the sleeping bag: Autosaves.

Check the _ZRP.cfg file to see if those entries are in it.

Nope, there's nothing there about Sleeping bags or autosaves. Guess I got a weird/old version.

I'm running ZRP 1.07 XR2 according to the main menu.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Sorry about the LA addon delay. Got sidetracked downloading Blacklist on my lovely connection. Will upload it tomorrow morning for sure!

What are people's thoughts regarding Autumn Aurora 2's changes? Thinking of adding in the minimalist hud and detectors from there, maybe.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

ThaumPenguin posted:

Nope, there's nothing there about Sleeping bags or autosaves. Guess I got a weird/old version.

I'm running ZRP 1.07 XR2 according to the main menu.

That'd be it, I have R5 EE.

The sleeping bag was added in R4 according to http://www.metacognix.com/files/stlkrsoc/index.html

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

v1ld posted:

That'd be it, I have R5 EE.

The sleeping bag was added in R4 according to http://www.metacognix.com/files/stlkrsoc/index.html

Ah ok, can I upgrade without having to start a new save?

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Ddraig posted:

Well, it does gently caress everything up as your vision blurs so if you do run into trouble you'll have one fantastic time trying to shoot anything including the broad side of a barn.
that and the whole wind tunnel drunk sidestep when you get near one.
I did modify the music files once, playing Queen's Another One Bites the Dust and rockin' the rifle grenade glitch* while clearing out the bloodsucker village is a very fun experience. Also using the same glitch to clear out the tunnel under Yantar's lab is fun too. "Oh, snork surprise? eat grenade, rear end!"

*For those that don't know and want to try it make sure you have a grenade loaded (I have found that you can do it without having grenades too) in your grenade launcher (rifle mounted only) and swap back to rifle. As you get to a load point on the map try to cross it while swapping to the grenade launcher. If done right when you get to the next map it'll say you have 30 more grenades loaded. Unload the grenades and there ya go, 30 more grenades ready to go...or use'em all at once, whatever floats yer boat.

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jan 1, 2015

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Ddraig posted:

Sorry about the LA addon delay. Got sidetracked downloading Blacklist on my lovely connection. Will upload it tomorrow morning for sure!

What are people's thoughts regarding Autumn Aurora 2's changes? Thinking of adding in the minimalist hud and detectors from there, maybe.

Ddraig, I don't have platinum (getting it Friday probably, and getting a new avatar) but do you have an email?

Myself, Alundaio, r_populik, and possibly Bangalore are all interested in working on an Unreal Engine 4 project next year, and I was thinking that you're a skilled modder and maybe we could use you too. I'd just want to know a little more of just how familiar you are with LUA and if you have any other PC game related talents?
This would be something we'd start a kickstarter for and get paid for (hopefully).

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Eh, I'm not in the league of Alundaio but I have a pretty good understanding of most things. Right now I'm trying to wrap my head around packets, mainly thanks to TFW. I really want to pick up a decent LUA book but I can't really justify the cost at the moment :/

As for other skills, nothing that would really translate well to game development. I did enjoy writing all that crap for the Misery addon, though, so if you need someone to flesh out the project's canon I'm a bit of a sperg with things like that.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/7iiama0kd8yuyqu/Lost_Alpha_Addon.7z

This is the Lost Alpha addon. Possibly going to be made redundant with the director's cut.

As for my email, cpdjanes at gmail dot com

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Agropom, whoof, what a great set of levels. I ran out of ammo for the Viper 5 underground - "I shouldn't need more than 200 each of FMJ and AP." With my aim, you do.

Didn't pick through all the bodies from the first assault before freeing Mole - a lesson learned for the next run - so I ran out of bandages and the little remaining ammo for Strelok's Akm on the way back into the Institute. There was plenty on the bodies all around, but reaching them meant getting massacred. Finally took out the last 3 that knew my location by camping with the sawn-off double-barreled in one of the barracks, allowing me to gather some ammo again to clean out the rest of them. That was intense.

Question: There're many locked doors on cupboards and tables in the Institute. The ZSG says I should be able to shoot many such doors open, but I haven't been to open even one of them even with an Akm burst. Are these supposed to be shootable or is there a trick to it? I absolutely certain that they're packed full of 5.45x39mm, if only I could open them.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

If you hold down "use," items should have the labels pop up if you get close enough to them. You can even snag them through the doors and stuff.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

v1ld posted:

Agropom, whoof, what a great set of levels. I ran out of ammo for the Viper 5 underground - "I shouldn't need more than 200 each of FMJ and AP." With my aim, you do.

Didn't pick through all the bodies from the first assault before freeing Mole - a lesson learned for the next run - so I ran out of bandages and the little remaining ammo for Strelok's Akm on the way back into the Institute. There was plenty on the bodies all around, but reaching them meant getting massacred. Finally took out the last 3 that knew my location by camping with the sawn-off double-barreled in one of the barracks, allowing me to gather some ammo again to clean out the rest of them. That was intense.

Question: There're many locked doors on cupboards and tables in the Institute. The ZSG says I should be able to shoot many such doors open, but I haven't been to open even one of them even with an Akm burst. Are these supposed to be shootable or is there a trick to it? I absolutely certain that they're packed full of 5.45x39mm, if only I could open them.

If you see those little white/gray metal boxes on a shelf or whatever, stab them with a knife. They drop stuff more often than not, medkits, ammo, you name it.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
You can also hold f and any items inside lockers and drawers will have their names pop up and more often than not you can hoover them up just by being close enough

E:also, if you need 9x19 ammo head to the Scrapyard in the Garbage, head to the watch tower, look up, and shoot the crates

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's a $.99 STALKER rip off 'mmo' new on steam

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Using f/use to scan locked containers is a good trick, thanks.

I got the AP 9x19 ammo from the tower at the scrapyard, just didn't carry enough to Agropom. Part of my problem with running out of ammo was not going for headshots as much as possible - running out of ammo has fixed that. The weight limit in this game is very well done, better than any other I've seen. Forces you to make real choices between looting and carrying weapons/ammo for all occasions.

I picked up the Tunder 5.45 off a dead Duty guy who got chewed up by the dogs in front of the Bar and it's a beast, using now somewhat common ammo. It immediately obsoleted the Obokan I had just spent 10K on, at least until I get a scope for the latter. Also got an IL 86 and a TRs 301 from the remains of a military/bandit fight at the entrance to Agropom. Ammo is still rare for them, so it's stashed for now. Would the latter be a good candidate for a scope? It'd be good to have a more general purpose rifle with a scope and decent stopping power. I was planning to scope Strelok's Akm given its beastly rate of fire and commonly-found ammo, but now suffer from a lot more choice when I do finally find a scope.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
TRS + Scope on burst fire is pretty loving excellent. Aim for the chest, second shot walks up to the neck, third to the head.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

If anyone can help me solve a strange glitch in LEGENDARY I'd be most grateful: So Im in X18 and Im fighting this almost invincible burer in a white robe. After sinking 8 grenades and 300+ shots into him, I (just in case) pass out, see Strelok shooting all the rats, and then when I wake up I can't. I just sit at a black screen and when I hit escape, I can see my menu, but the game never continues.

Ok so never mind. I saved my game, reloaded said save, and then it was all good. Wow.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bug aside gently caress that burer forever

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Only trouble with the TRS is it feels like it wears out too fast. After a short bit you start getting lots of misfires especially when your rear end needs something to work.
Wander up into the Army Warehouse map and go through the village to the Merc camp on the other side, there's a modded TRS for sniper use in there that's really good and reliable, has a silencer attached and doesn't suffer from the silencer drawbacks.
Ditch the IL-86, that gently caress's too heavy, unreliable, and pussy powered to be of any use besides pissing your enemies off

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jan 4, 2015

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Acquire Currency! posted:

This mod has a very strange difficulty curve. It starts fairly normally but then the assault on the car park; Monolith dudes roam around in packs, and then Borov has about a million HP as well. I don't expect every mook to go down with one shot to the foot but some of these enemies have an unusual amount of life. I've also found that the standard and AP AK round is literally useless against bandits as they take 7-10 rounds but 1-2 5.56 rounds in the head will knock them out.

A pretty good mod though despite everything else. I love all the weapons it adds to ShoC and that's pretty much what I've been looking for in a mod.

SocketWrench posted:

Ditch the IL-86, that gently caress's too heavy, unreliable, and pussy powered to be of any use besides pissing your enemies off

Also this. Find the sniper variant TRS asap.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Cool, will keep an eye out. That unique Tunder 5.45 was quite a find, it feels very OP after the Akms: it shredded the first 2 snorks I ran into (after a reload as the snork shredded me first time when I turned around and saw it approaching on what I'd thought was an empty 2nd level of X18).

The physics simulation is very well done for the most part. The 2nd snork on level 2 of X18 glitched through the locked door on being killed right up against it. When I eventually unlocked the door, the dead snork popped back out and blocked the door from opening more than a small crack. Turns out I could shoot the body and have the door slowly open as it jigs around or just get up against the door and shove which makes the door shift slowly at first then faster as you get more force behind it. Quite cool, if you ignore the initial glitch - though even there the door came momentarily ajar as the dead snork popped through it.

I've taken damage from and been killed by what I assume to be ricochets at a couple of points given that they couldn't see me but were hitting walls behind me and causing damage.

I hope they take a similar simulation-based approach to the next Metro, which according to that Digital Foundry interview with 4A's CTO is going to be an open world game. It'd be doubly cool if they also offered both survival and shooter modes as in Redux.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jan 4, 2015

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

Is there any way to play SoC with russian audio but english subs? The russian localization of the game on Steam has full Russian everything (UI/in game text/etc), so I'd rather just use the english localization, but the sub mod I found is only for older versions...

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
It's a shame these games aren't co-op, that'd be awesome.

Despite the frantic urgings of a european friend of mine to play and finish it, I have never been able to get anywhere with Call of Pripyat. I always get insta-murdered by dog packs, no matter where I go or how I try to fight.

Maybe I'm just terrible.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

McGiggins posted:

It's a shame these games aren't co-op, that'd be awesome.

Despite the frantic urgings of a european friend of mine to play and finish it, I have never been able to get anywhere with Call of Pripyat. I always get insta-murdered by dog packs, no matter where I go or how I try to fight.

Maybe I'm just terrible.

Definitely don't do MISERY then. One of their ways of making the game harder seems to be "OK, mutantdog.spawn... It says spawn 5. Eh, make it 15. Ctrl+C. Ctrl+V, Ctrl+V, Ctrl+V."

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I noticed that.

I watched him in his modded game for a bit, and he was watching a firefight between two groups of dudes, and then got set upon by dogs from behind.

Ended up having to run through the fight and into some giant boat, and still got shot.

I'll have to give vanilla another shot, cause I sure as hell can't deal with that.

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008
Ok so this might sound crazy but I decided to get a STALKER game a jumped straight for Misery. I'm loving it, it's kicking my rear end like no tomorrow but, holy hell it's immersive.

I did play a lot of Vanilla and LURK SoC several years ago, wasn't too hard and really enjoyed it. Grabbed LURK mostly because I hated the really bad accuracy of many mid-early tier weapons and hated relying entirely on headshots.

Any tips for me to get out of the scrub zone? I've been having a hard time saving up for a decent rifle though I do have a 45% condition AK with a PSO, GP30 and pretty great damage. Rarely jams for its condition considered, AKs I guess. Been making progress getting better gear and have scouted two crash sites.

My biggest objective is to clear the Iron Forest but I get bushwhacked by Controllers easy: finding a decent mid-long range rifle has been hard. Want a good condition 7.62 or equivalent rifle with a scope everything's trashed in this game, hah. What should I do?

BillyJoeBob
Feb 7, 2010

Anal-retentive, overly loquacious weapons scientist.

Alright so I'm playing SGM Geonezis, and I took the missions from the Informant to find his documents. I should have probably done them one at a time but I accepted all 3 maybe 2 weeks ago and now I've forgotten what his hints were.

I found the sniper documents at the container warehouse SW of Yanov but I can't find the other two. I should have probably written something down because all the PDA tells me is that I have to find documents. :(

Anyone got a clue as to where the assault rifle docs and armor docs are?

Edit: Holy poo poo! If you talk to Uncle Yar and press X, it opens an upgrade window and he upgrades everything. The prices are as high as he is though. I went through nearly 200K on fully upgrading my SEVA.

BillyJoeBob fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jan 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Acquire Currency! posted:

that guy went down like a loving chump for me. shotgun to the face before he could even do anything. very weird.