Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
You won't believe the amazing secret shared by these ten black actors!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

99.9% of Buzzfeed is poo poo, but sometimes there's good journalism.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Boatswain posted:

I've just heard good stuff about it but there seems to be a 100 different things to watch. I guess I'll start with the miniseries then.

You really just want to start with the miniseries and then go on to the regular series. You can pretty much ignore the movies as well as Caprica and or Blood and Chrome.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

You really just want to start with the miniseries and then go on to the regular series. You can pretty much ignore the movies as well as Caprica and or Blood and Chrome.

I'd watch Razor in between seasons three and four (I think that's when it aired) but all the other stuff (the webisodes and the prequal movie) can be ignored.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

I can't understand this format, there are no numbers or ranking systems of any kind.

muscles like this? posted:

Blood and Chrome was rather decent, I quite liked it. Caprica was delightful as well, though attempting a rewatch is rather difficult because it suffers from an ingratiatingly slow-paced plot. It's good for a one-time watch-through though.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Irish Joe posted:

Miniseries. Series. Caprica.

Ignore everything else.

Razor is worth watching, the other one not so much.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
That Buzzfeed article could be about any British actor in America. They've framed it the way they have because it's Buzzfeed.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

smg77 posted:

I'd watch Razor in between seasons three and four (I think that's when it aired) but all the other stuff (the webisodes and the prequal movie) can be ignored.

Definitely do not watch The Plan, because there wasn't one.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yeah, that is basically an extended 'gently caress you' from Moore's hubris.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Yeah but you get to see Olmos' wife topless at least.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Did anyone watch the first episode of the new season of Broadchurch last night?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I searched "The After" because I never knew about it, and all I learned is that there was a guy walking around in a clown costume in it.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Sober posted:

Yeah but you get to see Olmos' wife topless at least.

It's Dr. Olmos.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Anyone know when the Dr Strange & Mr Norrell series starts?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

GreenNight posted:

Did anyone watch the first episode of the new season of Broadchurch last night?

Yeah I'm also curious where they went with it.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Sober posted:

No, I am pretty liberal myself but I do question if people who say, watch Mad Men because everyone else that they share values (liberal middle class is usually tied to MM viewers) with does it too, and not because they actually like it on their own merits. Watching prestige television for prestige television sake feels like the current cultural version of keeping up with the Joneses.

You pretty much just described the entire audience of Duck Dynasty. It's a fake boring commercial that became a hit when every evangelical in America was obligated to watch it because the family prays on-screen a few times.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lycus posted:

I searched "The After" because I never knew about it, and all I learned is that there was a guy walking around in a clown costume in it.

That guy is Jamie Kennedy and is awful in it. But somehow not even close to the awful of Arielle Kebbel who is on a completely different level of awful that I had thought was previously reserved for "friends of the producer" type actors. That accent she used made me want to stab my ears.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
That Irish guy was hilariously Irish though.... although i think he probably didn't quite say "gently caress" enough

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I always thought Jamie Kennedy was kind of harmlessly devoid of talent and somehow kept getting comedy specials, and then I saw that coke-fueled new years special he hosted. That was... something.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rocksicles posted:

That Irish guy was hilariously Irish though.... although i think he probably didn't quite say "gently caress" enough

The whole thing was full of really questionable head scratching stuff like that. For instance hiring a not so great french actress with a really thick accent as the lead and then spend the entire first part of the episode focusing on her character as a bad french actress with a really thick accent that can't get any leading roles. Seemed really odd to start off on that foot. I mean she wasn't nearly as bad as the character was but it was kind of like, why draw attention to this at all?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There was also the oddly nonspecific disaster at the start where everyone is just milling about in the streets for no reason.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
This was posted in GBS but I feel like it will be appreciated here too.

69 TV intros re-imagined by forums poster RaceFat thread / YouTube Playlist

They're listed on the playlist in the order they were written and they get better as they progress. Still, I'd recommend just picking a show you recognize and going from there. My personal favorites are True Detective, The Americans, Doug, and The West Wing, but they're all great in their own way.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

timp posted:

They're listed on the playlist in the order they were written and they get better as they progress. Still, I'd recommend just picking a show you recognize and going from there. My personal favorites are True Detective, The Americans, Doug, and The West Wing, but they're all great in their own way.

I've looked at a couple and I don't see any way they could be considered "great." Is this like an "ironic" thing or...?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Those are, uh, garbage.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Some of them are not bad. Go listen to Darkwing Duck.

And if you showed me the Twin Peaks one and told me it was an alternate opening to that show, I would have believed you.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

raditts posted:

I've looked at a couple and I don't see any way they could be considered "great." Is this like an "ironic" thing or...?

Fake alternate TV intros are a meme as old as YouTube. There were some good ones back in the day but they had actual effort and creativity involved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHuFvbSMa1Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmpAx8Z5z40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t94LtCvP9ck

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

timp posted:

I watched a few of them, and as a whole they're pretty lovely and one-note.

It does remind me that The West Wing is probably the only show that could drape the American flag over the entire credits sequence without it seeming grossly patriotic.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Sleeveless posted:

Fake alternate TV intros are a meme as old as YouTube. There were some good ones back in the day but they had actual effort and creativity involved.

Yeah, I'm aware of that, but these don't even seem to be trying to be funny or good or anything so I'm kind of at a loss here.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

timp posted:

These are universally terrible. Someone tell RaceFat to be ashamed.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Scrubs one made me laugh quite a bit.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
I made a couple of those back in the day for fun. The Dexter one was momentarily popular here, as was the Community one, I think.

Castle like Mannix: http://youtu.be/nMntqvijI-Q

Dexter in the 1980's: http://youtu.be/5TsSHqVd724

Community - Full House: http://youtu.be/Nc4s6tpAdMI

Dexter - Batista and Quinn buddy cops: http://youtu.be/szE3nf2dY8k

Edit: the Castle one is kind of niche, if you want to "get it"- go watch the old Mannix titles. Seamus Dever reposted that one on his twitter back when I made it.

Tuxedo Jack fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jan 6, 2015

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Dexter in the 1980's: http://youtu.be/5TsSHqVd724

Dexter - Batista and Quinn buddy cops: http://youtu.be/szE3nf2dY8k

I remember these from the Dexter thread, and I will love them forever.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rarity posted:

These are universally terrible. Someone tell RaceFat to be ashamed.

Is the "joke" that they all have the HBO title thing?

Someone tell RaceFat that his videos are bad and he should feel bad.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

hope and vaseline posted:

I always thought Jamie Kennedy was kind of harmlessly devoid of talent and somehow kept getting comedy specials, and then I saw that coke-fueled new years special he hosted. That was... something.

I take it you've never watched Heckler.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

precision posted:

I take it you've never watched Heckler.

God I hated that movie.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The gently caress?

http://www.avclub.com/article/syfys-12-monkeys-will-mess-lights-some-viewers-hom-213461

quote:

Syfy has announced that it’ll be giving certain viewers the option to let the network take control of their home’s lighting systems during broadcasts of its upcoming series 12 Monkeys. The new show—based on the 1995 Bruce Willis film, and set to debut on Jan. 16—will come with a “light track” that owners of Philips’ smartphone-interactive Hue lighting system will be able to use to view a custom light show, synced to the show’s content.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Giving SyFy control of the lights in my house does sound like a terrific idea. Yes indeed.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

precision posted:

Giving SyFy control of the lights in my house does sound like a terrific idea. Yes indeed.

Obviously they're not literally letting the people at a TV network control their lights. It's probably like a pre-programmed thing you can install on your phone that works with those Hue lights that's timed to change the lights in sync to the TV show. Gimmicky as hell, but kind of interesting, and almost nakedly an advertisement for the Hue thing.

edit: In fact, that sounds like exactly what it is. Here's a clip from a less lovely and clickbaity article:
http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20150105006323/en/Syfy-Philips-Pioneer-World-TV-Entertainment-12#.VKwP7ivF-B4

quote:

Starting with the series premiere on Friday, January 16 at 9pm ET/PT, 12 Monkeys fans who pair the Syfy Sync app for phones and tablets with Philips Hue bulbs while watching the program will be treated to a specially designed “light track” – marrying the action on the screen to the lighting in your room – which will add a heightened engagement through a more immersive viewing experience. When combined, the app will detect audio cues from 12 Monkeys and translate them to the Web-enabled Hue system. Fans will then be enveloped in the onscreen action through ambient lighting effects designed to engage viewers in an entirely unique way.

raditts fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jan 6, 2015

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

New Amazon pilots were announced:

quote:

Amazon Studios has announced a January 15th premiere date for its first batch of 2015 pilots. As usual, the company will make series greenlight decisions based on viewer feedback.

Four dramas and two comedies are on offer, most notably the remake of British black comedy series "Mad Dogs" which Shawn Ryan ("The Shield," "Last Resort") is producing. Steve Zahn, Billy Zane, Romany Malco, Michael Imperioli and Ben Chaplin star in this version of the show about a group of underachieving forty-something friends who visit a friend's Belize villa - a holiday that turns into a nightmare of lies, deception and murder.

Another high-profile title is a pilot for a series based on Philip K. Dick’s Hugo Award-winning 1962 alternative history story "The Man in the High Castle". Set twenty years after the Nazis won World War II, the U.S. is now divided between Japan and Germany and tensions between the two are mounting in the western half of the country.

Also on the way are the documentary series "The New Yorker Presents" which boasts short films based on articles from the mag, the half-hour comedy "Salem Rogers" starring Leslie Bibb as a former supermodel forced to re-enter the real world, the early Civil War-set family plantation drama "Point of Honor," the comedy "Cocked" about a man (Sam Trammell) who returns to his rural Colorado home to help his family's gun business, and the romantic drama "Down Dog" about a South Cali yoga teacher's complicated love life.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/35293/amazon-studios-announces-its-2015-pilots

The Man in the High Castle sounds drat interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The Hue thing is not new, they've done it before.

If you have a Philips TV with Ambilight, you can sync the Hue system to it for any content and have the lights in the room change dynamically with the content on screen. Gimmicky, but could be neat in the right conditions.

• Locked thread