Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

What does the term "specialty coffee" even mean? Sounds more like a buzzword than anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I bet that 20% includes Starbucks, and is calculated by cost instead of by cup.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. If you define "not Folgers etc" as "specialty" then you get a much higher market share.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
I thought maybe it was the split between arabica and robusta. Apparently not; looks like it runs a consistent 60% arabica / 40% robusta.

http://www.intracen.org/coffee-guide/world-coffee-trade/world-production-by-type-arabica-and-robusta/

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
There is zero chance it does not include Starbucks. As mentioned above, the home market is dominated by the big market companies and then the brewed cup market has all the fast food chains, most restaurants and dunkin donuts. I'd be surprised if the craft coffee market is more than 1%.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Specialty Coffee is usually defined by beans that have a few qualities: Transparency of sourcing, at the very least a washing/processing station in a specific region of a single country can be identified as the source of the beans in a lot and being graded and cupped by trained professionals and attaining a score of 83 or above. This isn't a hard and fast definition at all, and most organizations will give you something much longer and less defined as the meaning of the term.

To give a little scoring context all Starbucks beans are rated at 80 or above and you'd be hard pressed to find anyone objectively denying that starbucks purchases specialty coffee (to turn into charcoal). The green beans that sweet marias sells are almost all going to be above 87 and the stuff that you tend to really have an amazing reaction to and swear up and down has redefined coffee for you usually start around beans that get ranked ~93 or above. Again super broad strokes and generalizations.

Edit^^^^ Chick-Fil-A actually now serves specialty coffee sourced from Thrive Farmers a really cool importer that has a heavy focus on improving the capabilities and livelihoods of the farmers and groups they purchase beans from.

Sextro fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jan 1, 2015

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Shugojin posted:

I got a siphon for christmas :coffeepal:

I've been looking at those on and off forever. Convince me I need one because I've got a Visa gift card sitting here dying to buy something.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

They make coffee at a very even temperature and extraction and also they are just cool as poo poo to use.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Nostratic posted:

I've been looking at those on and off forever. Convince me I need one because I've got a Visa gift card sitting here dying to buy something.

Same here, though no gift card to blow. I'm still trying to decide which model I want. Any owners have recommendations?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Well I was given a 3-cup Yama (this one). If I was going to buy one for myself I would have gone for a stovetop variety just to skip loving around with an external heat source (alcohol burner, smallish butane burner, hilarious halogen heatlamp setup like they have in coffee shops) but it's not a huge deal. The external heat source isn't even a big deal since as long as you boil the water in a kettle of your choice before you put it in the bottom part you only use the thing for a minute tops.

Mostly, just pick whatever has the proper size for you and go from there.

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
Are the yama/hario cold brew drip setups actually better than submersion setups in any way?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I have a Yama 5 cup and I love it. It's an awesome way to brew a few cups of coffee for guests.

coathat
May 21, 2007

I got a big thermos for Christmas and making my morning coffee before going to bed has seriously improved my quality of life.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
I'm treating myself to a new Baratza Virtuoso! I'm looking forward to Monday.

Has anyone ever roasted beans using a wok? According to Sweet Maria's, it should be possible.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Okay I need a baller drip coffee maker. Ideally under $200. Go.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I use a $40 pouring kettle, a $15 gram scale, and a $20 Hario V60.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

Pour over is by next setup, I currently make espresso and or french press in the mornings.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Mu Zeta posted:

And a $100+ grinder...

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Well a good burr grinder is a given. You need that before anything else. You can just use a sock and hot water to make coffee as long as you have the grinder.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

A clean sock and hot water is not far off from a nel :v:

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Okay I need a baller drip coffee maker. Ideally under $200. Go.

Bonavita BV1900TS, $180 at Prima.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Is there a burr hand grinder any cheaper than the Hario ones for around $35 on amazon?

Or another recommended cheap one?

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

becoming posted:

Bonavita BV1900TS, $180 at Prima.
Seconded.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
So Behmor has been promoting with Dadolabs their CES announcement.

Looks like we'll have an internet connected Brazen and a Roaster.

From Dado's site it looks like they'll both be released in third quarter of 2015, the roaster retailing for $599, and the brazen retailing for $349. It looks like the Behmor should be able to be sold as an upgrade to existing, but with that pricing, ~$300 upgrade? App controlled roaster + feedback will be incredible though, might make up for the Plus not being so great.

1600: https://twitter.com/behmor/status/552277055724077056

Brazen: https://twitter.com/behmor/status/552148390595686400

Edit: And from his comments on it, it sounds like it might keep roast history, and allow even more customizations than we get now...

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Casull posted:

Has anyone ever roasted beans using a wok? According to Sweet Maria's, it should be possible.

Let me know how this goes, because I'm considering trying this too.

luvs2Bgraded
Jan 22, 2003
Wasn't some of the appeal of the Behmor 1600 that it was relatively cheap compared to other home sized and sample roasters?

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

luvs2Bgraded posted:

Wasn't some of the appeal of the Behmor 1600 that it was relatively cheap compared to other home sized and sample roasters?

Yeah, but the next step up is usually the HotTop, which is $900 or so. I think maybe there is one in the middle at $500-600 but with less capacity.

I think what will happen here is that you'll be able to get the 'Plus' for $350, or the "Connected" for $600 so you can make the choice.

FranklinPCombs
Jan 27, 2005

Maybe your old man’s just a little bit cooler than you thought he was
first time poster itt

Saw my brother over Christmas break, he has been doing some interning at a coffee roaster in LA and brought back a bunch of different beans. Had much aeropress-enabled caffinery. And it really got me turned back on to coffee. Hence:

Thermal carafe, yo

Also a Hario 'Skerton' grinder is on its way, took a quick detour to someone else's house.

And we got my girlfriend's Aeropress while home.

Thinking it's been a pretty good X-mas...

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I got a barista job at an upscale cafe. It's actually a roastery with a small front bar attached -- wholesale is their main deal, they get beans direct from the plantations, it's nuts. It's even got a certified cupping lab. Holy poo poo, I thought my regular homemade pourovers were decent :catdrugs:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is a Moccamaster worth the price difference over the Bonavita?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Anyone familiar with the Capresso Infinity and Chemex willing to ballpark what kind of grind I should be shooting for? I started with the finest "coarse" setting, so third click from the end, and it seemed weak. The result was relatively pale/transparent and tasted like Woody Allen sounds.

I dialed it in to the second "medium" mark and it's getting stronger but now it seems a little too bitter. Is there even enough consistency between Infinities to really make such advice feasible?

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...
Proper Grounds coffee in Layafette, CO. VERY VERY LEGIT.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

FAUXTON posted:

Anyone familiar with the Capresso Infinity and Chemex willing to ballpark what kind of grind I should be shooting for? I started with the finest "coarse" setting, so third click from the end, and it seemed weak. The result was relatively pale/transparent and tasted like Woody Allen sounds.

I dialed it in to the second "medium" mark and it's getting stronger but now it seems a little too bitter. Is there even enough consistency between Infinities to really make such advice feasible?

I shoot for about middle of the medium, two marks away from fine, fwiw. Double-check that the rest of your process is in line with one of the suggested brewing guides, such as this one. I aim for 4 min total brew with 205ºF water (about 30 s out of the boiler and into my gooseneck), including a ~30 s bloom and with a ratio just under 17:1.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

marmot25 posted:

I shoot for about middle of the medium, two marks away from fine, fwiw. Double-check that the rest of your process is in line with one of the suggested brewing guides, such as this one. I aim for 4 min total brew with 205ºF water (about 30 s out of the boiler and into my gooseneck), including a ~30 s bloom and with a ratio just under 17:1.

I wonder if I'm not letting it bloom completely. I'd always thought blooming involved less water than it seems was used in that guide. I was probably leaving a good amount of the grounds dry. I assume I want to be just barely "floating" the very top of the grounds?

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

Is a Moccamaster worth the price difference over the Bonavita?

Frankly I don't think so. My dad has a Moccamaster and I have a Bonavita. I have drunk from both and can't tell much of a difference. The only thing I noticed was the carafe on the Moccamaster keeps the coffee warmer for longer period of time.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

nowhinezone posted:

Frankly I don't think so. My dad has a Moccamaster and I have a Bonavita. I have drunk from both and can't tell much of a difference. The only thing I noticed was the carafe on the Moccamaster keeps the coffee warmer for longer period of time.

Thanks. The moccamaster looks a little more involved too. More parts or something. This is for my dad so simple is better.

Now I just need to find somewhere that has the bonavita in stock.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Thanks. The moccamaster looks a little more involved too. More parts or something. This is for my dad so simple is better.

Now I just need to find somewhere that has the bonavita in stock.

I have read that the Bonavita BV1900TS makes slightly better coffee, especially if you use the pre-infusion mode.

The Moccamaster has a much longer warranty and is hand-made in Europe. I don't think the Moccamaster is particularly involved to use, and neither does my wife - put filter and coffee in, put water in, flip switch. I do like that the drip arm is removable for easy cleaning, as it does get some coffee residue on it when brewing a full batch. I also like that, theoretically, Technivorm could redesign the drip arm and sell an updated version that better distributes water over the grounds, and I wouldn't need to buy a whole new brewer. (That having been said, there's never any dry grounds at the end of a brew cycle, so this may be more brewing theory than anything.)

You probably can't go wrong with either. I got Sur la Table to price-match Crate and Barrel's clearance pricing for the Moccamaster ($229) and feel as though it was money well spent, but if I couldn't get them to price match, I was going to spend the $180 for the Bonavita at Prima.

My wife won't take the time to do pour-over in the morning but is using the Moccamaster most mornings. She made coffee at 5:45 today and left me a half-carafe, which was still hot when I got up and started drinking it at 9:30, and stayed at a perfectly drinkable temperature until I finished it at 1:00. Anything that means I have hot coffee the instant I wake up is worth the dollars.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
Bought an Aeropress over the weekend. Made some coffee and enjoyed the novelty of making smaller amounts of smoother coffee for more immediate drinkin' versus versus my big, clobberin' soup bowls full of high-octane out my French press.

After a couple of days of smooth Aero I got the Frenchy wet again and, egad! There is just so much more to a French press brew than an Aero brew, at least the way I'm making it.

My French press method averages 30g of beans, course, 8 minutes of immersion resulting 19oz of coffee, with the Aero it's like 16g of beans, fine, 2 minutes of immersion resulting in 12oz of coffee.

Thoughts?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Copper Vein posted:

Bought an Aeropress over the weekend. Made some coffee and enjoyed the novelty of making smaller amounts of smoother coffee for more immediate drinkin' versus versus my big, clobberin' soup bowls full of high-octane out my French press.

After a couple of days of smooth Aero I got the Frenchy wet again and, egad! There is just so much more to a French press brew than an Aero brew, at least the way I'm making it.

My French press method averages 30g of beans, course, 8 minutes of immersion resulting 19oz of coffee, with the Aero it's like 16g of beans, fine, 2 minutes of immersion resulting in 12oz of coffee.

Thoughts?

I'm perfectly happy with my giant chunky 8 minute steeping with my french press. You do you, man, although it's not quite as smooth and chocolatey as a 24 hr soak overnight in the fridge french press.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Copper Vein posted:

Thoughts?

If your accounts of how much coffee you're using are correct, then I can't say I'm surprised you're getting a weak brew out of the Aeropress. 16g of beans against roughly 354.9ml of water is a 1:22 ratio, which is far too little coffee to water. The usual ratio that gets bandied about for drip coffee is 1:17 coffee:water. I don't time my Aeropress brews all that carefully, but I use a much stronger recipe from somewhere that suggests a 1:12 ratio, and that's with an 18 grind on my Baratza Encore.

Try adding more coffee, using a finer grind, or both, and see if that helps.

TheJeffers fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jan 6, 2015