Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

Epsilon Plus posted:

:rolleyes:

We've technically played before but I doubt you could gleam much of my style from Mexican Standoff Mafia.

I'm not sure how I feel about f_v. Nothing particularly stands out to me. I think Quidnose was really pushing f_v/somber being a scum team together for a while and it looks like when that didn't get takers he's devolved into low-content posting. I think if he(?) was really convinced he would continue looking into it, this post stands out here:

You need to post on a topic to make people get traction on it, "this is so obvious I will not even post about it" is kinda bleh. Quidnose stands out the most to me currently. ##vote Quidnose

Can you explain this further? It reads to me that you think Quid is scum for not pushing his scum team thoughts further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Why am I scum?
I feel like you're taking really innocuous posts from me (and YPM to some extent) and twisting them and rationalising reading them in the worst possible light to make them look scummy.

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Why is Allen scum? (As opposed to bad at reading)

That post is just a big wet fart
"I don't like the case on FV"
"but I know this post will look bad if she flips scums"
"oh and by the way here's a reason I'm feeling sketchy about her despite my saying like eight words ago that I don't think she's bad guy"

it's about two notches too defensive and self-conscious

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

Somberbrero posted:

I have a good gut read and I'm never wrong about Epsilon+, just ask him.

I hope you can figure out why I am staring at you incredulously right now.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Somberbrero posted:

I have a good gut read and I'm never wrong about Epsilon+, just ask him.

Oh my God if you weren't such a swell dude I would loathe you so much

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Can you explain this further? It reads to me that you think Quid is scum for not pushing his scum team thoughts further.

I think Quid is scum because he made kind of a lovely case on two people and then dissolved into nothingness. If he really believed (because he was town) he'd be pushing it more. As it stands now it looks like he's dropping it to avoid backlash later.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
i guess no one is scum, huh

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

hmm

##vote merk

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

that vig is giving me ~the world ends in seven days~ merk vig vibe

and also he's refusing to read the thread

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

actually yeah that's a good point, merk's vig DOES look an awful lot like the one he pulled in TWEWY mafia and I know he was scum in that

##vote merk

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

would either of you like to elaborate for the rest of the class

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Pinterest Mom posted:

would either of you like to elaborate for the rest of the class

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3566185&pagenumber=16&perpage=40#post418956157

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

gosh i was proud of the flavor i wrote for that game

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

full context: i want everyone to reach deep within their hearts and consider if ~champion~ merk would use a vig the way he did if he's town. i mean he'd hold on to it to try and 'save' the game, is my impression of how strong merk knows his play is.

instead he wasted it on a joke.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Chic Trombone posted:

gosh i was proud of the flavor i wrote for that game

it's still That Game I Don't Like To Talk About because of what happened at lylo :(

but yeah it was a great game, chic

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

the idea is, what, he makes a joke about using the vig, then immediately uses it? is that scummy, or just reflective of a certain sense of humour?

it seems like an awful use of a vig, joke or no joke. at least shoot a lurker or the guy with the awful PR.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Pinterest Mom posted:

the idea is, what, he makes a joke about using the vig, then immediately uses it? is that scummy, or just reflective of a certain sense of humour?

it seems like an awful use of a vig, joke or no joke. at least shoot a lurker or the guy with the awful PR.

He's historically done it as scum more than in just TWEWY iirc, though I can't remember the specific games off the top of my head.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
this is kind of a joke game though, isnt it

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Ernie. posted:

full context: i want everyone to reach deep within their hearts and consider if ~champion~ merk would use a vig the way he did if he's town. i mean he'd hold on to it to try and 'save' the game, is my impression of how strong merk knows his play is.

instead he wasted it on a joke.

I was required to use it today.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I see the argument to be made for merk as scum due to suboptimal play, but there might be a reason for that. I can see merk shooting immediately because he's a usual nightkill target. You could apply the same reasoning to his play today, as I recall this is a move he deliberately makes now and then as town like in Terminator. That said, shooting Opopanax doesn't seem to make sense regardless.

I'll vote merk but he's not my top pick.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

merk posted:

I was required to use it today.

why opop and not whoever was vote leader?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

It's cool that you don't break the rules anymore.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Ernie. posted:

why opop and not whoever was vote leader?

Truth reason: Opo refusing to resign the chess game was annoying
Fake reason: gut read on Opo

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Somberbrero posted:

I see the argument to be made for merk as scum due to suboptimal play, but there might be a reason for that. I can see merk shooting immediately because he's a usual nightkill target. You could apply the same reasoning to his play today, as I recall this is a move he deliberately makes now and then as town like in Terminator. That said, shooting Opopanax doesn't seem to make sense regardless.

Oh boy this post is bad

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

merk posted:

Truth reason: Opo refusing to resign the chess game was annoying
Fake reason: gut read on Opo

That's a baaad reason if you're town

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Somberbrero posted:

what is this post

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Chic Trombone posted:

That's a baaad reason if you're town

Thanks for the tip

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Pinterest Mom posted:

I feel like you're taking really innocuous posts from me (and YPM to some extent) and twisting them and rationalising reading them in the worst possible light to make them look scummy.

That post is just a big wet fart
"I don't like the case on FV"
"but I know this post will look bad if she flips scums"
"oh and by the way here's a reason I'm feeling sketchy about her despite my saying like eight words ago that I don't think she's bad guy"

it's about two notches too defensive and self-conscious

see what you didn't wait for is after lunch

I always talk poo poo before lunch and then actually read poo poo after lunch

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
The one post I've read where I've actually thought about whether someone is scum is that somb post, so ##vote somb

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

didn't make lunch yet

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

merk posted:

Thanks for the tip

It's not a tip bc you're not town which was what that post was supposed to imply

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Chic Trombone posted:

It's not a tip bc you're not town which was what that post was supposed to imply

oh well that's not true

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
This is absolutely not Somber's town game.

##vote Somber

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Allen Wren posted:

see what you didn't wait for is after lunch

I always talk poo poo before lunch and then actually read poo poo after lunch

guys i really think we should kill allen

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I get why that's a bad post but it's what I think. Merk is more likely scum that not but I see room for doubt.

We have four hours, I won't be here for deadline. I think FV is the smart vote here.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Asiina posted:

##vote Somber

There are personal reasons why my game is off, which is another reason why meta cases are silly.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Asiina posted:

##vote Somber

I dunno. I've never really seen Somb make a post like that, true. But... I don't think it's enough to justify it.

On the other hand, Ernie makes some really good points about merk's actions and merk's vig/reasoning for vig is pretty lovely. I think merk is likely telling the truth about needing to use it today, but murdering Op was a lovely play in addition to being kind of mean-spirited.

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos
It's not just lovely, it's actively detrimental to town. Opop's posting had been pretty much entirely about the chess game, and he hadn't given reads on anyone/had anyone give reads on him. Even if he did have to use the vig today, shooting literally anyone who had been talked about in a mafia context would have given town useful information. Shooting Opop just reduces the town population without giving town anything in return.

##vote merk

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

Epsilon Plus posted:

I dunno. I've never really seen Somb make a post like that, true. But... I don't think it's enough to justify it.

On the other hand, Ernie makes some really good points about merk's actions and merk's vig/reasoning for vig is pretty lovely. I think merk is likely telling the truth about needing to use it today, but murdering Op was a lovely play in addition to being kind of mean-spirited.

That's a lot of words for "There's a bunch of things that someone could call scummy going around but I'm not going to say any of them are."

##vote epsilon plus

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

Winged Orpheus posted:

It's not just lovely, it's actively detrimental to town. Opop's posting had been pretty much entirely about the chess game, and he hadn't given reads on anyone/had anyone give reads on him. Even if he did have to use the vig today, shooting literally anyone who had been talked about in a mafia context would have given town useful information. Shooting Opop just reduces the town population without giving town anything in return.

##vote merk
"reduces" -- present tense -- Written from the POV of someone who knew Opop's alignment when/before the shot happened.

aaand back on ##vote Winged orpheus

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

kfc you're amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

That's a lot of words for "There's a bunch of things that someone could call scummy going around but I'm not going to say any of them are."

##vote epsilon plus

What's it like playing mafia but being unable to read? I think that I pretty clearly stated that merk's play was bad (which I thought was an indicator of scumminess? I guess not?).

Also look at that tremendous, instantaneous flipflop wowzers

• Locked thread