Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Sup guys.

Feelin lazy after the holiday cooking shitshow?

Crabby and near frozen solid from the winter?

Here's an easy as heck solution:

chicken congee, cilantro and scallions, lao gan ma, rousong by gtrwndr87, on Flickr

congee by gtrwndr87, on Flickr

Look good, yeah?

Jook, congee, cháo, kayu, rice gruel, whatever you wanna call it. It's stupid easy and stupid delicious for being at its simplest rice and water.

I do a simple 1:8 rice to water ratio, tossed in a saucepan with a couple slices of ginger, a couple green onion ends, a pinch of salt, and a scoop of chicken baseif I'm feelin fancy. Bring up to a boil and turn down to a low simmer for like an hour or until it's a creamy porridge consistency. I'm sure someone else will come in with a fancyass rice cooker or pressure cooker recipe but whatever.

Dress with green onion, fried shallots, poached chicken, braised pork belly, sesame oil, black vinegar, dark soy, chili oil, pork floss, a poached or soft boiled egg, burnt onion oil, a fried egg, whatever. It's all delicious.

You guys should cook a jook or whatever. Because it's the easiest recipe and poor people have been making it for like 2000 years.

If you accept the challenge and don't come through, you must split your tongue, sing dixie, and drown yourself in a bowl of congee so you might as well just make some just in case.

You have until the end of January or whatever cuz I'm moving and starting a new job and will probably forget about this thread or something. Hail Satan.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jan 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I dive into some congee maybe once a month, and it's been over a month. time to break out the pork floss boys :c00l:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I'm just getting over that hosed up H3N2 mutant flu, this sounds perfect.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jan 3, 2015

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Congee is perfect for that. I'm slurpin on a reheated bowl with lots of angry lady sauce and some mushroom roy right now cuz hangover.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Update! I have developed bronchitis. gently caress this gay earth. I also did some research, and it looks like i'll be doing it phillipenes style. Arroz Caldo looks delicious.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I have leftover Boston butt in the fridge and many pounds of rice in the pantry. Baphomet be with me.

Millow
Apr 30, 2006

some say he's a rude dude with a crude 'tude
Recently got a Zojirushi rice cooker with a porridge setting but haven't tried making congee yet. I also just moved to a pretty rural and white town and I did bring some asian stuff with me (lao gan ma, soy sauce, rice vinegar, not much else) so does anyone have any simple ideas for a congee I could make with regular grocery store fare? A western style congee :shobon:

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Millow posted:

Recently got a Zojirushi rice cooker with a porridge setting but haven't tried making congee yet. I also just moved to a pretty rural and white town and I did bring some asian stuff with me (lao gan ma, soy sauce, rice vinegar, not much else) so does anyone have any simple ideas for a congee I could make with regular grocery store fare? A western style congee :shobon:

I like some crispy pancetta cubes, green onion, crispy shallot, angry lady, runny egg. Cook a chicken thigh and some ginger and garlic in with the rice.

wei
Jul 27, 2006
It is way too hot in Sydney for jook at the moment but I'm sure we'll have a cool day or two before the month's over.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
gently caress you dad you are forgetting zhou which is what a cool billion people call it

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

FamDav posted:

gently caress you dad you are forgetting zhou which is what a cool billion people call it

Casu Marzu posted:

whatever you wanna call it.

Just make some, jerk.

confonnit
Sep 28, 2001

Here's my first attempt at making congee. I topped it with crispy shallots, pork and green onions. I used a bit too much ginger but other than that it was delicious and super easy.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
yeah you know gravity's post where congee looked all appealing and poo poo? this post ain't gonna be that.

get drunk as poo poo and let your ambition run wild at 4am : repeat to yourself "gently caress it im eating congee for breakfast tomorrow"

grab some good homemade chicken stock out your freezer, fumble around with your phone trying to remember proportions of water and rice for a proper congee, say gently caress it and just put a cup of rice in with what you have because it'll work out fine in the end no matter what.

let it sit on the stove for about an hour, then assess thickness

this is obviously way too thick, I've basically just made rice. I doubled up on the water, let it come back to a boil, then hit it with a stick blender. added salt, fish sauce, and white pepper to season. (it's not congee if it doesn't taste like white pepper) done! refrigerate!

contemplating seasonings next morning, I grabbed some country ham out my fridge, cubed it up, blanched it in some water, and fried it in a pan with some garlic. also fried an egg over easy.

finish and hungoverly plate your congee - I felt the deep twinge of pork-guilt and threw some tomatoes on there in a halfassed effort to 'eat a vegetable'. but really no. it's pork floss, fried egg, country ham, oyster sauce, and sambal o'clock. gently caress I mean, country ham, egg, tomato, rice? this is practically a southern dish really. so delicious.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
whoops I forgot the crispy shallots

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Hell yeah jook! Gonna Cong all the ees

Edit: here's some I made last week with cod and the best jook accoutrement (along with century eggs): youtiao (Chinese donut)

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 4, 2015

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

mindphlux posted:

yeah you know gravity's post where congee looked all appealing and poo poo? this post ain't gonna be that.

Whose post?

:bahgawd:

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Finally, a cook or die so easy even I am willing to participate!

http://m.imgur.com/6AEFUDU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Jook off

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Millow posted:

does anyone have any simple ideas for a congee I could make with regular grocery store fare? A western style congee :shobon:

Honestly just some ginger and scallions is all you really need and you should be able to get that anywhere. Sesame or chili oil is a nice aromatic touch. Shredded poached chicken is what I grew up with Also fried minced garlic oil. You can also do ground pork, or pork loin sliced into thin strips. Egg of course, either poached, hard boiled, scrambled whatever. Its all good. Its such a basic base that it can really go a lot of different ways.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

mindphlux posted:

I mean, country ham, egg, tomato, rice? this is practically a southern dish really. so delicious.

Yeah I guess now that you mention it, if you were to put shrimp in that it would be pretty similar to shrimp and grits with rice subbed for corn grits.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Casu Marzu posted:

Whose post?

:bahgawd:

Asians all jook the same

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Cong made with pulled poached chicken, ginger, garlic, fish sauce, white pepper, topped with crispy pancetta and shallots, scallion, angry lady, egg.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

that's a pretty cool looking cannolegg there

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

GrAviTy84 posted:

that's a pretty cool looking cannolegg there

shut uppppppp

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Always congee

Congee with cubed/crisped back bacon, roasted garlic mushrooms, fried shallots, crispy egg, also dressed with a big handful of spring onion, chili crisp, black vinegar and dark soy

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Casu Marzu posted:

Always congee

Congee with cubed/crisped back bacon, roasted garlic mushrooms, fried shallots, crispy egg, also dressed with a big handful of spring onion, chili crisp, black vinegar and dark soy

That's like, lumberjack congee. Like a chinese man has to eat it wearing a red flannel shirt

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

That's like, lumberjack congee. Like a chinese man has to eat it wearing a red flannel shirt

:lol: Well, Im wearing a blue flannel buffalo plaid. Thats close enough

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Casu Marzu posted:

Always congee

:stare:

I always like to add a little bit of glutinous rice to my congee to give it a thicker, creamier consistency. My go-to recipe is a basic pi dan so rou zhou.

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under
loving good idea, I have never made it but since it's stupid easy and I love it give me a coupl'a days. It's loving hot down here, so the less stove time the better.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
I'm in as well, especially with the egg part that is displayed above, good idea..!

question...can congee be reheated and will it still be edible the next day?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

paraquat posted:

I'm in as well, especially with the egg part that is displayed above, good idea..!

question...can congee be reheated and will it still be edible the next day?

absolutely. I make bigass batches and just change what toppings I put on it all the time.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

GrAviTy84 posted:

absolutely. I make bigass batches and just change what toppings I put on it all the time.

excellent, I'll be making a large buttock as well, then!

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
oke, so the rice cooked for an hour, but it wasn't al that broken down...I did consider it done though (read: I was hungry)

the rice (jasmin) was cooked in chicken stock, sesame oil and soy sauce.
and topped with scrambled egg baked with red pepper flakes, fried onions, green onions and a bit of sweet chilli sauce

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I jook'd so as to prevent death and fooldom.

jasmine rice, 1:8, fish sauce, ginger in the cook.

topped with century egg, pork, pork rinds, scallions, and white pepper. hell yeah.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

paraquat posted:

oke, so the rice cooked for an hour, but it wasn't al that broken down...I did consider it done though (read: I was hungry)

the rice (jasmin) was cooked in chicken stock, sesame oil and soy sauce.
and topped with scrambled egg baked with red pepper flakes, fried onions, green onions and a bit of sweet chilli sauce

If I use pre-cooked rice I leave it for about an hour, raw rice might need more time. Also I always use calrose.

Also also I'm about to make another batch cause I'm siiiiiiick.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Drink and Fight posted:

If I use pre-cooked rice I leave it for about an hour, raw rice might need more time. Also I always use calrose.

Also also I'm about to make another batch cause I'm siiiiiiick.

Oh, and I forgot the fact that I cooked the rice with ginger...

...if you're siiiiiiiiick, definitely cook your rice with ginger!!!!!!

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

GrAviTy84 posted:

I jook'd so as to prevent death and fooldom.

jasmine rice, 1:8, fish sauce, ginger in the cook.

topped with century egg, pork, pork rinds, scallions, and white pepper. hell yeah.

looks great!

I still need to try century egg...

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

:effort:

Had a pile of family in the house to cover a medical emergency and jooked it up to feed them something.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Drink and Fight posted:

Also I always use calrose.

This is a good and honorable thing.

I'm going to ika shogu yaki okayu tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

paraquat posted:

looks great!

I still need to try century egg...

they're great. don't let those bizarre food shows or youtube challenges scare you. They aren't any worse than a stinky cheese or some funky fermented fish product.

• Locked thread