Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

poo poo I thought I was a bad player

this is incredible

still waiting on lunch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

"reduces" -- present tense -- Written from the POV of someone who knew Opop's alignment when/before the shot happened.

aaand back on ##vote Winged orpheus

It's written that way because I was following what I believe to be the thought process of merk, who (being scum in this scenario) would in fact know that Opop was town.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

Epsilon Plus posted:

What's it like playing mafia but being unable to read? I think that I pretty clearly stated that merk's play was bad (which I thought was an indicator of scumminess? I guess not?).

Also look at that tremendous, instantaneous flipflop wowzers
"yeah that somber post is bad... but I won't vote it"

"ernie says some stuff about merk that's good.. but maybe merk was telling the truth... but it was bad play"

You threw shade on 2 players, said something reversing the opinion, and voted neither one, not making any clear alignment commentary. Correct -- Calling something bad play is not an indicator of scumminess.

Also, I didn't see WO's post til after I responded to you.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

##unvote

merk's play irks me, and i feel like he's outsmarting me by making unconfirmable absolute statements like 'i had only today to use the vig'. i believe in my bones that a boon for winning a d1 event would be a d1 specific thing in a diqnol game, but i mean he didn't even ask opop to claim or anything.

epsilon feels like he's buddying to me too much. both cases i made (one even on him) were met with him nodding his head. i don't think scum would be so bullish as to link themselves to a player this transparently. i'm leaning slightly town on him.

somber's play feels like town somber to me. i dunno the only time i ever caught him was because he gave up on playing like scum. i'm failing to see anything there, but i'd like someone to make a convincing case.

and now kfc is freaking me out with how 'undecided' he seems. nothing winged orpheus did/said could have made them look 'better' in kfc's eyes, but apparently epsilon plus looked worse for half a second??

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Winged Orpheus posted:

It's written that way because I was following what I believe to be the thought process of merk, who (being scum in this scenario) would in fact know that Opop was town.

for what it's worth, this was clear to me and i don't think it was a scumslip, kfc

WO can be scum who also chose an obtusely worded statement that sounded like a scumslip, but he did not scumslip in that sentence

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
merk telling the truth about his game-winner boon doesn't rule out merk being scum. Is this actually something I need to elaborate for you? My God.

(Also I don't think somber is scummy, just shady, hth)

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Epsilon Plus posted:

merk telling the truth about his game-winner boon doesn't rule out merk being scum. Is this actually something I need to elaborate for you? My God.

(Also I don't think somber is scummy, just shady, hth)

i didn't say that whether or not merk lied about the mechanics makes him scum/town. i said that his inefficient use is still scummy. what i meant is that his response to the suspicion i.e. dealing in factual statements as opposed to doubling down on his decision or admitting he made a mistake gives me pause.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

"reduces" -- present tense -- Written from the POV of someone who knew Opop's alignment when/before the shot happened.

aaand back on ##vote Winged orpheus

Okay that's pretty good.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

I still think merk's a good vote for today, because that vig really echoes how he likes to use vigs as scum. Somber still sounds REALLY forced so I'd probably vote him too, I need to reread everyone else before I'd vote anyone else tho

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Also I don't want to lurker lynch D1 but I would like to hear more from the lurkers, esp Amoeba since lurking's unlike him

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Ernie. posted:

i didn't say that whether or not merk lied about the mechanics makes him scum/town. i said that his inefficient use is still scummy. what i meant is that his response to the suspicion i.e. dealing in factual statements as opposed to doubling down on his decision or admitting he made a mistake gives me pause.

Sorry, I was replying to KFC. I totally understand you.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Also ##vote merk for now, I may be absent closer to deadline

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Somberbrero posted:

Okay that's pretty good.

what

you don't actually believe that's a "pretty good" do you

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

##vote Merk for vigging Opop.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

That's a lot of words for "There's a bunch of things that someone could call scummy going around but I'm not going to say any of them are."

##vote epsilon plus

I agree with this read of EP's post and I think you could also say exactly the same thing about his other big post

Epsilon Plus posted:

so I've worked 48 hours the past four days, time to flex my mafia muscles

and probably do nothing to be honest but hey! flexxx

Ernie's mafia-related posts have been pretty poo poo but so have mine so, that's a thing. He makes a good point with regards to exaggeration but I never feel like my posts are "exaggerating" so much as my Posting Style. Somber's posting feels a bit ... I dunno, off? Based on my previous experiences. I'd buy Somber maybe a 3P over anything else but I don't have a good feel as for town/scum for him. He's not being as aggressive as he normally is IMO. More as I digest?

(if you guys wanted to Arms Race or Demolition you can find me on Steam as Epsilon Plus but Competitive does my nerves up wretched)

##vote EP

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Chic Trombone posted:

I still think merk's a good vote for today, because that vig really echoes how he likes to use vigs as scum. Somber still sounds REALLY forced so I'd probably vote him too, I need to reread everyone else before I'd vote anyone else tho

How do I like to use vigs as scum?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
##vote Chic

Chic saying that I used this vig as the way I 'like to use vigs as scum' is made up. In the one instance where I actually had a vig as scum which was linked in this game, I used the vig as a way to make myself look town - that's how I use any ability as scum. If you actually go into that game and look at even the smallest iota of context, you can see that the vig on Ernie was based on a build up of mine from the day before where I said Ernie was the best lynch. I was furthering my own fake scum hunting in that game. That's how I use vigs as scum.

tl;dr: Chic's analysis here on my meta is made up and contrary to the one game linked. Chic is scum.

For those who don't have archives:

merk THE DAY BEFORE THE VIG posted:

Ernie, your votes seem like you are pulling them out of thin air. I think you are talking about Tom Tucker in the post I just quoted, and that's a fake-sounding reason to vote Tom Tucker. His vote is literally the best vote on Byers; you're voting him for actually making a case with a vote.

##vote Ernie
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3566185&userid=37071#post418884767 - another one

merk THE DAY BEFORE THE VIG posted:

I still think Ernie is the best lynch. I'll switch to Byers when I'm done shaving if no activity is happening.

merk THE DAY OF THE VIG posted:

Ernie, you have six hours to claim.

In six hours, you will be erased.

merk posted:

##erase Ernie

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Yeah, I'm voting Chic until she's removed from the game. You may as well get it over with today and choose me or her.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Pinterest Mom posted:

what

you don't actually believe that's a "pretty good" do you

it's clever + funny

Amoeba102 posted:

##vote Merk for vigging Opop.

oh come on.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I would like to invoke veteran's privilege here and demand that we lynch Chic. She is definitely scum.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Somberbrero posted:

it's clever + funny
does that mean you agree with it

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Pinterest Mom posted:

does that mean you agree with it

Ultimately no but I really thought about it.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

your response to a post you don't agree with was "Okay that's pretty good"?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Merk I think your case isn't very good and also I think the entire derail regarding that previous game was bad.

Chic Trombone posted:

Also I don't want to lurker lynch D1 but I would like to hear more from the lurkers, esp Amoeba since lurking's unlike him

This post bugs me though. What purpose does it serve? Also, Amoeba is scum.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

yah merk's trying to push the chic case hard is baaaaad

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
Ok but what if you buy FV a name change, change it to Chic, and then lynch her instead? That way we both win.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Pinterest Mom posted:

your response to a post you don't agree with was "Okay that's pretty good"?

It was a very appealing idea, it's a neat little case and I wish I thought it was the correct call.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Is that the only thing you posted where you secretly hold the precise opposite opinion of what you wrote?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Oh Chic said that about me? Well, here's why I'm lurking - too much loving work to get done.

Hey Somber, yeah I'm scum that can choose someone to play chess on Day 1 and the winner gets a vig. Is that what you're thinking?

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
i belive in merk

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 1

merk (4): Ernie., Chic Trombone, Winged Orpheus, Ernie., Epsilon Plus, Amoeba102
fiery_valkyrie (3): Somberbrero, Your Personal Muse, uranus, Pinterest Mom, Pinterest Mom
Somberbrero (2): Quidnose, merk, Asiina, merk
Winged Orpheus (1): Ernie., KhyrosFinalCut, Ernie., KhyrosFinalCut, KhyrosFinalCut
Chic Trombone (1): Somberbrero, Your Personal Muse, Somberbrero, Your Personal Muse, merk
Epsilon Plus (1): Asiina, Dugong, Ernie., Dugong, Ernie., Asiina, KhyrosFinalCut, KhyrosFinalCut, fiery_valkyrie
Allen Wren (1): Pinterest Mom
KhyrosFinalCut (1): Rarity
Quidnose (0): Epsilon Plus, Epsilon Plus
Dr. Hurt (0): KhyrosFinalCut, KhyrosFinalCut
Pinterest Mom (0): fiery_valkyrie, fiery_valkyrie
uranus (0): Winged Orpheus, Winged Orpheus

Not Voting (9): Allen Wren, Dr. Hurt, Dugong, Ernie., EXAKT Science, HiipFire, Little Mac, Murmur Twin, Tremendous Taste

With 23 alive, it's 12 votes to lynch. The current deadline is January 06th, 2015 at 7 p.m. EST -- that's in about 1 hour, 58 minutes.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Amoeba102 posted:

Oh Chic said that about me? Well, here's why I'm lurking - too much loving work to get done.

Hey Somber, yeah I'm scum that can choose someone to play chess on Day 1 and the winner gets a vig. Is that what you're thinking?

yeah, why is that improbable?

Pinterest Mom posted:

Is that the only thing you posted where you secretly hold the precise opposite opinion of what you wrote?

do you actually think this is an inconsistency or is this just pressure for the sake of pressure? if you're going to vote me just do it now so we have time to talk about it.

incidentally we're going to no-lynch

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Somberbrero posted:

This post bugs me though. What purpose does it serve? Also, Amoeba is scum.

It means "boy it sure would be nice to get some fresh perspectives" but made it clear at the same time that I don't want to lynch a lurker D1 bc D1 lurker lynches are always terrible?? Idk man not every post has some greater meaning

Also merk pushing me this hard is weird and makes very little sense imo

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

If merk isn't scum after that post I will be very surprised let's put it that way

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

It's improbable because it'd be fuckingly stupid imbalanced. It's not impossible, but it's definitely improbable because the role itself would be far too imbalanced to be applied with the level of information an informed minority would have.

If you're going to think it's probable, then you can follow the reasoning through to it's full conclusion.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

merk posted:

Yeah, I'm voting Chic until she's removed from the game. You may as well get it over with today and choose me or her.

merk posted:

I would like to invoke veteran's privilege here and demand that we lynch Chic. She is definitely scum.

You are ridiculous.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Amoeba102 posted:

It's improbable because it'd be fuckingly stupid imbalanced. It's not impossible, but it's definitely improbable because the role itself would be far too imbalanced to be applied with the level of information an informed minority would have.

If you're going to think it's probable, then you can follow the reasoning through to it's full conclusion.

did you know that the winner would be given a vig?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
I just want to put it out there - real life has gotten in the way of my participating and I've requested (and have been granted) a replacement for after D1. Sorry, all.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Murmur Twin posted:

I just want to put it out there - real life has gotten in the way of my participating and I've requested (and have been granted) a replacement for after D1. Sorry, all.

Vote merk or Valk please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Somberbrero posted:

did you know that the winner would be given a vig?

No, but if you think I'm scum would you expect an honest answer?

• Locked thread