Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

i don't see why the role wouldn't be given to scum with the caveat "pick at most one scum"
it might even be more interesting that way - scum picks one scum champion and one town champion and they take each other on in gladiatorial combat
but ~setup spec~

Somberbrero posted:

do you actually think this is an inconsistency or is this just pressure for the sake of pressure?

how is it not? you post something that looks very much to the untrained (and trained!) eye like you're agreeing with a case, but it turns out you don't?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Amoeba102 posted:

No, but if you think I'm scum would you expect an honest answer?

Is it an ability you can use multiple times?

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos
Deadline is just under 2 hours, let's get some votes people.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Somberbrero posted:

Is it an ability you can use multiple times?

No Day 1 only.

And I didn't pick Opop. That was RNG based by Diqnol. I could only pick one player and set whther they were CT or T. No information was given on the boon for winning or the penalty for losing. Same goes for won or lost bets.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Pinterest Mom posted:

how is it not? you post something that looks very much to the untrained (and trained!) eye like you're agreeing with a case, but it turns out you don't?

i guess inconsistency is the wrong word, honestly i'm getting flustered here. i thought kfc's point was good and when you said really i went and reread the exchange a lot and thought about it and i decided while it was compelling it was too circumstantial.

Amoeba102 posted:

No Day 1 only.

And I didn't pick Opop. That was RNG based by Diqnol. I could only pick one player and set whther they were CT or T. No information was given on the boon for winning or the penalty for losing. Same goes for won or lost bets.

so it absolutely wouldn't be an unbalanced scum power then

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES

uranus posted:

this is kind of a joke game though, isnt it

mafia is in its essence a joke aswell tho

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Somberbrero posted:

so it absolutely wouldn't be an unbalanced scum power then
Even if you think scum would say 100% how their power works, there's still a big advantage. Get your team a bonus, get a town player a penalty.

Well if you think it's a scum power, what conclusions would you draw about how it was used?
I'll help you out with the theorycrafting. A player will get a bonus for winning, so you pick your best chess person and get that bonus. And then they use it to kill a player in a dumb lazy way and then you vote for them making them the vote leader, effectively doing some pointless bullshit. Yeah makes total sense.

Honestly, I'm voting for merk for literally vigging Opop. Could have vigged anyone else as lazily and I wouldn't care. If I were to put a serious vote out there, it would be for you Somber with your rolefishing and logicless trying to find an easy target.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
i'm not arguing that you're scum because of your power role. you're arguing that you can't be scum because of your power role and that's not true.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I'm pushing the deadline back until 10pm EST. Something important has come up that will tie me up until then. Apologies for any inconvenience.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I didn't say you're "arguing that [I am] scum because of [my] power role" just that you don't seem to be thinking about it at all with your scum call on me.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

Somberbrero posted:

Merk I think your case isn't very good and also I think the entire derail regarding that previous game was bad.

This post bugs me though. What purpose does it serve? Also, Amoeba is scum.

Is his case bad, but on a player you think is scum? Or is his case bad but on a player you think is town?

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
kill the bad guy, kill the bad guy, kill the bad guy

i am saying that to the tune of ride of the valkaries.

meaning that valary is the bad guy

kill her

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

Amoeba102 posted:

Even if you think scum would say 100% how their power works, there's still a big advantage. Get your team a bonus, get a town player a penalty.

Well if you think it's a scum power, what conclusions would you draw about how it was used?
I'll help you out with the theorycrafting. A player will get a bonus for winning, so you pick your best chess person and get that bonus. And then they use it to kill a player in a dumb lazy way and then you vote for them making them the vote leader, effectively doing some pointless bullshit. Yeah makes total sense.

Honestly, I'm voting for merk for literally vigging Opop. Could have vigged anyone else as lazily and I wouldn't care. If I were to put a serious vote out there, it would be for you Somber with your rolefishing and logicless trying to find an easy target.

Why does his vig being on Opop - as opposed to anyone else in the game - make you think he is scum?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I didn't say I think he's scum. I'm upset that he killed a player I like. Hence the "serious vote would be on Somber". Are you reading at all or cherry picking?

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

uranus posted:

kill the bad guy, kill the bad guy, kill the bad guy

i am saying that to the tune of ride of the valkaries.

meaning that valary is the bad guy

kill her

I am swayed by your stirring rhetoric

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Is his case bad, but on a player you think is scum? Or is his case bad but on a player you think is town?

the first one.

Amoeba102 posted:

I didn't say you're "arguing that [I am] scum because of [my] power role" just that you don't seem to be thinking about it at all with your scum call on me.

yeah, I had forgot you did that thing.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
What is bad about the Chic case? She blatantly made up a justification to vote me.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
How can you possibly read the link that Ernie put in here and come to the conclusion that me vigging Opo in any way relates to what I did in that game? She's saying that my vig here echoes how I like to use vigs as scum. That is 100% made up and is contradictory to the only evidence provided.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

in both games, you did a

"hmm how should i use my vig"
immediately followed by using it

i think that's a humour/temperament thing, not an alignment thing, but you did do the same thing in both games

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

merk posted:

How can you possibly read the link that Ernie put in here and come to the conclusion that me vigging Opo in any way relates to what I did in that game? She's saying that my vig here echoes how I like to use vigs as scum. That is 100% made up and is contradictory to the only evidence provided.

I guess we can argue if you want but I think Chic is scum independent of her poorly applying a meta-argument based on an old game so it doesn't seem productive.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
No, in the first game I spent the entire previous day fake casing Ernie. In that game on the next day, I gave Ernie an opportunity to claim and then shot him.

I did not ask the thread who to vig in that game. My vig was built on an entire day of scum hunting in that game.

How, again, is that in any way related to this game? How does that lead you down the path of 'this is how merk likes to use vigs as scum'?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

##vote uranus

jesus loving christ, uranus is trying even less than I am.

Literally the only thing the dude did is accuse quid of careposting

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

if you're following a game and you know someone is scum, then everything they do that's noticeable or out of the ordinary (like the vig fakeout you did in that game) becomes "something-they-did-as-scum", so i don't think there's anything weird about chic and ernie remembering/pointing that out.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

and piggyback on the fv discussion

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Somberbrero posted:

I guess we can argue if you want but I think Chic is scum independent of her poorly applying a meta-argument based on an old game so it doesn't seem productive.

I want to know why you think the case is bad because I think you invented that content to justify a late day vote on me today. I definitely want to go into this discussion because I think you're scum for it.

I'll ask again: What exactly about my case is bad?

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Amoeba102 posted:

I didn't say I think he's scum. I'm upset that he killed a player I like. Hence the "serious vote would be on Somber". Are you reading at all or cherry picking?

So it's a meaningless vote that you consider worthy of putting out there this close to deadline?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

True and Real posted:

I'm pushing the deadline back until 10pm EST. Something important has come up that will tie me up until then. Apologies for any inconvenience.

I was just about to say I'd be here for deadline :argh:

I've seen merk push hard for D1 lynches before when he believes he's caught scum so his push on Chic isn't something I see badly. Today I will ##vote Somber because on reflection all the points I made in my previous post are really pinging me and then this

Somberbrero posted:

I see the argument to be made for merk as scum due to suboptimal play, but there might be a reason for that. I can see merk shooting immediately because he's a usual nightkill target. You could apply the same reasoning to his play today, as I recall this is a move he deliberately makes now and then as town like in Terminator. That said, shooting Opopanax doesn't seem to make sense regardless.

I'll vote merk but he's not my top pick.

is a really bad post, as has already been pointed out. Somber, is there anyone you wouldn't vote for today?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

merk posted:

No, in the first game I spent the entire previous day fake casing Ernie. In that game on the next day, I gave Ernie an opportunity to claim and then shot him.

I did not ask the thread who to vig in that game. My vig was built on an entire day of scum hunting in that game.

How, again, is that in any way related to this game? How does that lead you down the path of 'this is how merk likes to use vigs as scum'?

specifically the
"Ernie you have six hours or i'm vigging you", followed by vigging him minutes later. that's the part that Chic focused on, i think.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Pinterest Mom posted:

if you're following a game and you know someone is scum, then everything they do that's noticeable or out of the ordinary (like the vig fakeout you did in that game) becomes "something-they-did-as-scum", so i don't think there's anything weird about chic and ernie remembering/pointing that out.

Did you read the other game? Did you read my post about the other game?

These situations are not related at all. There is nothing the same in either of them. If you think they are the same, please quote posts showing they are the same.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Pinterest Mom posted:

specifically the
"Ernie you have six hours or i'm vigging you", followed by vigging him minutes later. that's the part that Chic focused on, i think.

Where did I do that in this game?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

merk posted:

I've read nothing. Give me someone to kill.

merk posted:

##shoot Opo seems fitting

Here's what I did in this game.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Yeah if someone was going to say you were scum because of the vig they would go along the lines of:
You asked the thread who to kill to avoid responsibility, but after you posted that realised that that is exactly what scum would do and then just shot from the hip to try and emulate how town might use it but purposely not picking a discussed player.
Altenratively, you purposely acted completely different to how you last used your vig.
But there are a few assumptions in there that don't really fit with merk meta, mainly being so uncalculating to not think about it. Also a heavy dose of WIFOM.

Merk I see what you're saying, in that critically looking at another game and comparing actions you wouldn't draw the conclusion they are same vigs.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Those posts were literally one minute apart.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

merk posted:

Here's what I did in this game.

yes. in both cases, you faked not knowing you were going to use you vig, and on who, and then immediately used it. are you really unable to see the similarity at that very micro level?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Allen Wren posted:

##vote uranus

jesus loving christ, uranus is trying even less than I am.

Literally the only thing the dude did is accuse quid of careposting

derp always does this, it's always really loving annoying

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

fiery_valkyrie posted:

So it's a meaningless vote that you consider worthy of putting out there this close to deadline?

It's a spite vote because I haven't cared much for this game at all and now with Opop gone I care less.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

merk posted:

I want to know why you think the case is bad because I think you invented that content to justify a late day vote on me today. I definitely want to go into this discussion because I think you're scum for it.

I'll ask again: What exactly about my case is bad?

What Pin said pretty much. On its surface it looks similar to this situation so I could see someone making the connection if they misremembered the details or had confirmation bias once they made the connection. why were you not critical of ernie? he's the one who brought up that game.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

To be fair I had forgotten that merk had cased Ernie the day before, I only modded that game and didn't actually play in it, but the two vigs still feel very similar on a tonal level.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Rarity posted:

is a really bad post, as has already been pointed out. Somber, is there anyone you wouldn't vote for today?

what? no there's absolutely no one i wouldn't vote for today. we'll be lucky to lynch as it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Add that to merk's reaction to my vote and I am very very sure he's scum

Somberbrero posted:

What Pin said pretty much. On its surface it looks similar to this situation so I could see someone making the connection if they misremembered the details or had confirmation bias once they made the connection. why were you not critical of ernie? he's the one who brought up that game.

Because Ernie unvoted and I'm pretty sure merk's jumping on me because I'm voting him and he thinks he can get me lynched because I've generally been a weak and lurky player in the past, it feels like

• Locked thread