Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids

Dick Trauma posted:

Please use my example and don't hang on too long trying to turn that job into something worth having again. If there's one thing I've learned about work it's that if your boss is the only problem you're still screwed, because you can't fix your boss.

True, and yours is a great example. The problem is I get some pretty outrageous benefits here, way better than anything I could have asked for as a first job out of college. I'll be hard-pressed to find anything comparable.

Roargasm posted:

He sounds like a dick but this is the worst possible answer when you get asked for an agenda.

Sure it would be a bad answer if being asked for an agenda was a unique request. But it's every single day. I have a job, a daily routine, and you can only come up with new, unique agendas every single day for so long, especially in a small company. We've been doing these daily meetings for over half a year now and it just gets tougher and tougher to grasp at straws. It's tough to make myself sound busy, even more so than doing actual work. I shouldn't be in a meeting every single day describing to someone what my job is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
My daily agenda is usually just "Work the tickets I get assigned until 15 minutes before closing, and use that time to make sure everything is written up and invoiced."

What else should I be putting on there?

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Chalets the Baka posted:

saying, "I'm working on help desk tickets" isn't a good enough status report even though that's my job.

It really isn't. I've got daily SCRUM poo poo as part of my day to day flow, and it's one of those things that's useless as a peon 90% of the time, but that other 10% can be really worth it. (I can't speak to how actually useful it is to management.) The trick to actually dealing with the report section of it, for me, was getting into the habit of writing poo poo down when I finished it. Taking that extra 30 seconds after closing a ticket to say "I spent 4 hours fixing this specific bug", and then bringing it up in SCRUM that "This bug could have been fixed in 2 hours if we hadn't set up this system in X manner" or "When I was investigating this bug I actually found this other bug that hasn't bitten us yet, but I want to get clearance to spend today working on so it's not an issue in the future" is pretty much the point of those types of meetings in the first place.

Chalets the Baka posted:

Sure it would be a bad answer if being asked for an agenda was a unique request. But it's every single day. I have a job, a daily routine, and you can only come up with new, unique agendas every single day for so long, especially in a small company. We've been doing these daily meetings for over half a year now and it just gets tougher and tougher to grasp at straws. It's tough to make myself sound busy, even more so than doing actual work. I shouldn't be in a meeting every single day describing to someone what my job is.

Inspector_666 posted:

My daily agenda is usually just "Work the tickets I get assigned until 15 minutes before closing, and use that time to make sure everything is written up and invoiced."

What else should I be putting on there?

The point is not to rehash your job description, it's to say "I'm working on this specific task yet again" so that competent management can either say "okay yes good" or "wait, you've been working on this specific task for the last three weeks, is there something super wrong with it or is there some way we can help unblock you on this specific task so it gets done faster".

SCRUM is one of those things that can be super useful or super stupid, if you've got a manager that's cargo culting "successful people" and not knowing why then it's pretty dumb but being in a company that uses it properly has resulted in one of the least painful jobs I've ever had from a supportive-manager standpoint. v:shobon:v

Alliterate Addict fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jan 6, 2015

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Chalets the Baka posted:

True, and yours is a great example. The problem is I get some pretty outrageous benefits here, way better than anything I could have asked for as a first job out of college. I'll be hard-pressed to find anything comparable.

I just want to tell you something that you may not consciously realize: you can rationalize anything. There is always, ALWAYS a good reason to stay in a lovely situation, no matter how bad the situation is. Your boss could be punching you in the face every day and you could say, "at least I'm getting good benefits." I'm not giving you any advice on what you should do. But I've seen people trapped by their rationalizations. That includes Dick Trauma from these forums, and it includes former co-workers of mine.

fromoutofnowhere
Mar 19, 2004

Enjoy it while you can.
I'm starting to get pissed with fellow techs and users today. Phones require a PIN code to call long distance or international, and everyone has there own code. We're switching over to a new call search space since the old one is so hosed the upper management decided to just redo the drat thing and work it out from there. I got dropped with learning CUCMA and figuring out how to create/remove/re-assign users to the new search space along with other duties and while I enjoyed learning everything, it pissed me off knowing that everything I do right now will go to poo poo within a month.

I created a SOP detailing how to add PINs for users along with moving them over to the new Call Space. I linked another SOP to it just in case users don't know how to use the PINs to call out.
I created a new spreadsheet with links to peoples extensions along with what their PIN is and their Auth level.
I combed the old spreadsheet and fixed every duplicate code, every duplicate user, combined current active users with current list of employees with phones listed.
Created a SOP that linked to adding PINs, Adding users, and maintaining the spreadsheet so we don't have any more conflicting numbers or multiple people using the same PIN.

Less than a week after moving people over, 12 of them are using 12345 as a PIN. 22 of them are using 54321. The spreadsheet hasn't been updated, the old phone spreadsheet hasn't been updated. So I fixed everything. The number of Emails of users outing the Techs that changed their PINs for them has been fantastic, but also infuriating, since they were the ones that wanted the SOP's in the first place.

They all complain that it's too difficult to put in a 5 digit code if it's not 12345 or 54321. It takes too much time and they HAVE TO CALL THEM RIGHT NOW IMMEDIATELY NEWS IS HAPPENING. So I ask them if it's harder to type 11221 or 66585 or some other combination I cooked up for them specifically so it would make their lives easier. "With 12345 I don't have to think, and it's always been my number since I started working here."

Ok, it's not anymore. Sorry for your loss.

also, gently caress learning CUCMA, poo poo is loving confusing when you don't know poo poo at first.

Email: If you guys use this stuff, how are you keeping track of users PIN's and stuff? Is it automated or is it all put in by hand?

fromoutofnowhere fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jan 6, 2015

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids

Ursine Asylum posted:

SCRUM is one of those things that can be super useful or super stupid, if you've got a manager that's cargo culting "successful people" and not knowing why then it's pretty dumb but being in a company that uses it properly has resulted in one of the least painful jobs I've ever had from a supportive-manager standpoint. v:shobon:v

And that works for you because you're a developer and things are always breaking and it's easy to have something unique to add that could help the team and improve the process. I can see how SCRUM works for the devs and for project management in general, that's really where it shines. But it shouldn't be used as a status update for the boss' boss. When you're help desk in a small company and the bulk of your tickets consist of "This user flipped their airplane mode switch to ON and could not connect to the wireless network. It was resolved by turning it OFF." and people question you, then it's not good. If I had things breaking all the time in huge ways that I could fix, I would describe those too. The problem is that we maintain things well here, and if I'm doing my job right then I won't have much to report.

It's not like I don't do work. The place where my role really stands out is at these big events that we do; I recently saved the company millions at the last one and it got me a very good annual report and a raise. Accomplishments like that shouldn't be overshadowed because my typical routine is revealed as uneventful through what are essentially daily interrogations where I have to justify my job.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

I can grant you that. It sounds like your boss is a "shoots self in foot" type of guy anyways.

Regardless, :yotj:

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids

Ursine Asylum posted:

I can grant you that. It sounds like your boss is a "shoots self in foot" type of guy anyways.

Regardless, :yotj:

At the last big event we did he mocked a product in front of one of the key people involved in that product, a person whom the company has a great working relationship with and pretty much relies on for these events. It wasn't good.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Wait, so do you mean users have to dial a pin when calling long distance, or are you talking about User Device Profiles? In the latter case, what does it matter if everyone's PIN is unique or not?

The way we have it setup is that the physical phones belong to an internal-only search space. Then we import users from AD and set up a User Device Profile with a real phone number for them. The user logs on to the phone with his employee ID and a pin, and the UDP replaces the phone's default profile. Per default the pin is just 11111 and most people never change it, even though we recommend they do. There's little reason to ever log out of the phone anyway unless you're moving to another desk.

There's a few manual steps involved in creating the UDP and linking it to a user ID, but it's maybe 3 minutes of work once you get the hang of CUCM's wonky UI.

fromoutofnowhere
Mar 19, 2004

Enjoy it while you can.
So your active directory is linked to creating profiles for phones and extensions?

Every user is assigned a PIN so we can do a report on who's calling who/when and cost. And yes, they have to use a PIN to make calls out. When they had a PIN everyone could use, people were calling home Internationally on the companies dime and racking up huge bills. With a separate PIN linked to the users profile, they can only call out internationally under their PIN. I'm going to look into linking AD and CUCMA when creating new accounts. That would cut a step hopefully and fix a lot of issues with incorrect phone numbers/extensions being shared by people because of mistakes.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The link to AD is that it grabs the employee ID and name from the AD object fields to pre-configure a login in CUCM. Then we have to go in and manually create a device profile, assign it a free extension and link it to the login. As for managing extensions, you can get a list of assigned extensions from one of the menus in CUCM, don't remember which one off hand but then you can quite easily see which ones are taken. Unassigned ones will either show up as such, or not show up in the list at all if they haven't been created yet.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

So after years of basically running me ragged looking after customer running ShittyApp on Windows 2003, and me saying for years that we need to start worrying about it's replacement, it's finally happening. Problem is:

The boss has already sold it to our biggest and most importat customer, who wants a WAN based install with 2 servers on different sites, one as a backup, and serving 4 sites.

I only got told about this in November, it's taken until today to get a "suitable" test machine, which is Windows 2008 running on a VM at head office that I have to access by IP address over our lovely VPN and has no external access to the outside world.

Up until this point I haven't been allowed near anything newer than Windows 2008

The new app is based on .net4 and IIS. I literally haven't touched IIS since Windows 2000, and it's changed a bit since then.

The customer wants it setting up with an Oracle backend, which is possible but only barely supported by the vendor (literally one guy worked on adapting it to Oracle). I know gently caress all about Oracle and I'm not allowed access to the Oracle management tools the manual talks about as we don't have licences for that apparently, instead I have to submit a ticket and wait two weeks for a response.

We're supposed to be going live in February.

The funniest part: ShittyApp has a free upgrade that makes it good for all current OSes including 64bit ones, and we also support another app that is equally critical (the two work together) that ONLY works on 32bit Server 2003, I'm going on a course to learn how to use that in a few weeks, yet management are pushing for rolling out the other, less critical, one first!

I'm genuinely starting to dispair, but my skills are so out of date that jumping ship is going to be drat hard.

Lum fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jan 6, 2015

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Gounads posted:

Then.. what do they do all day long?

First, if it's SQL Server then who the gently caress knows, those aren't DBAs. As an Oracle DBA I write queries like this...

CREATE TABLE APPS.TABLE_NAME
(
COUNT NUMBER,
"FROM" VARCHAR2 (50),
"WHERE" VARCHAR2 (50),
"AND" VARCHAR2 (50),
"OR" VARCHAR2 (50)
)
/

SELECT "FROM", "WHERE", "COUNT"
FROM table_name
WHERE "FROM" NOT LIKE 'where'
AND "WHERE" NOT LIKE 'from'
AND "AND" IS NOT NULL

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I worked through Christmas and New Years because I needed to. I don't care about the typical goon "better pay me triple" response, save it. My point is, I'm done, there's a gap, everyone who could possibly call me is busy, I have nothing on the calendar. If you bitches need me I'll be on the couch watching re-runs of Lost and falling asleep. Signed, Stripe.

e: Desmond find your constant nooooo

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Chalets the Baka posted:

SCRUM meetings

Its a tragedy that basic managerial tasks and oversight have devolved to the point that poo poo like this is a Real Thing.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'd rather have to resort to buzzwords to make people think it's something new and exciting just to get managers to actually manage, than the alternative where entire departments are left to rot. Our helpdesk team leader doesn't do meetings, not even an informal 11am catch-up for 5 minutes or whatever. The team works about as well as you'd expect.

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids

go3 posted:

Its a tragedy that basic managerial tasks and oversight have devolved to the point that poo poo like this is a Real Thing.

It's real, and it's less about management and oversight than it is about control and asserting authority. We go into the room, present ourselves to the CTO, who then goes last after all of us and speaks only in buzzwords. My ears ring every day with "take that offline", "ping them on this", "get that on your radar", "this will be a game changer", "get them in the loop on this", and other poo poo I really can't comprehend anymore.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Chalets the Baka posted:

It's real, and it's less about management and oversight than it is about control and asserting authority. We go into the room, present ourselves to the CTO, who then goes last after all of us and speaks only in buzzwords. My ears ring every day with "take that offline", "ping them on this", "get that on your radar", "this will be a game changer", "get them in the loop on this", and other poo poo I really can't comprehend anymore.

You need to play buzz word bingo. Makes the meetings actually entertaining.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Chalets the Baka posted:

I used to report to the owner's son (effectively the owner at this point as he's taking 99% of the responsibility) and have a TON of respect for the guy, he's super smart and generally a pretty effective manager. One day in a meeting he said something like "Let's talk offline about this issue" and it really rubbed me the wrong way and made me think slightly less of him. I don't know why, it's not something I can definitively point to but it just bothered me, I get what he meant... He didn't want to eat up everyone's time by talking about something he and I should talk about outside of the meeting, but it just really bothered me.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Thanks Ants posted:

I'd rather have to resort to buzzwords to make people think it's something new and exciting just to get managers to actually manage, than the alternative where entire departments are left to rot. Our helpdesk team leader doesn't do meetings, not even an informal 11am catch-up for 5 minutes or whatever. The team works about as well as you'd expect.

Hell managers at my company spend so much time in meetings with other managers that we're (un)lucky to see them once or twice a month, much less doing any actual management. I'm convinced that "Managers" at my company spend all their time in meetings dreaming up ways to make our jobs more tedious and soul crushing.

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids

Skex posted:

I'm convinced that "Managers" at my company spend all their time in meetings dreaming up ways to make our jobs more tedious and soul crushing.

Many managers seem to do this anyway, and I'd rather have them doing it out of sight than around me all the time. The physical presence of a bad manager can make daily working life a living hell.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Chalets the Baka posted:

It's real, and it's less about management and oversight than it is about control and asserting authority.

Bingo. When Agile came onto the scene, most managers probably jizzed in their pants harder than ever before, because they saw "daily stand-up meeting" as a thing that you were supposed to do. "DAILY MEETING? AW YEAH!" And then proceeded to completely miss the point, using it as an excuse to have 30-minute (or longer) whip-cracking sessions every single goddamn day.

Managers shouldn't even be present at these meetings, for gently caress's sake.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

I just got my Network+ certification, does this mean I can select "Network Engineer" instead of "Helpdesk Technician" in the dropdown box for our ticketing system??

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

MF_James posted:

I used to report to the owner's son (effectively the owner at this point as he's taking 99% of the responsibility) and have a TON of respect for the guy, he's super smart and generally a pretty effective manager. One day in a meeting he said something like "Let's talk offline about this issue" and it really rubbed me the wrong way and made me think slightly less of him. I don't know why, it's not something I can definitively point to but it just bothered me, I get what he meant... He didn't want to eat up everyone's time by talking about something he and I should talk about outside of the meeting, but it just really bothered me.

Because he didn't want to waste the other "resources" time.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

MF_James posted:

Maybe I'm just spending too much time around mangers nowadays but that seems like a really weird thing to lose respect for someone over.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ursine Asylum posted:

Maybe I'm just spending too much time around mangers nowadays but that seems like a really weird thing to lose respect for someone over.

Yeah, it's pretty common jargon and there's 50 different reasons it makes sense to not discuss something in a group.

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

Ursine Asylum posted:

I can see why - it's usually the phrasing that's so trite that makes me twitchy in situations like that. "Let's take this offline", "please do the needful" and referring to "resources" and "resourcing a project" are a few of the pet phrases that make me grit my teeth because they just sound so trite and awful. Why can't they just use some normal words like "Let's talk about this later"? Sure it's being picky over phrasing but it's very much an overused thing. Also "I sent you a ping" or "ping me" when talking about an IM message.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Chalets the Baka posted:

It's amazing that technical terms are now buzzwords instead of just overused ones like synergy or paradigm. A face to face meeting is by definition offline. Pings are icmp echo requests. I tend to be baffled when I find people using those terms incorrectly until I figure out what the hell they are trying to say because I am mostly get exposed to the correct usage.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
If somebody asked me to take a conversation we were having in person "offline" I would be very confused.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Inspector_666 posted:

If somebody asked me to take a conversation we were having in person "offline" I would be very confused.

I would have a real hard time not giving people dead-eyed looks and confirming exactly what they mean. I know what they mean. I'm just of the opinion that they should feel stupid for putting it that way.

:what: "Do you mean we should talk about this outside of the meeting?"

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Che Delilas posted:

I would have a real hard time not giving people dead-eyed looks and confirming exactly what they mean. I know what they mean. [b] I'm just of the opinion that they should feel stupid for putting it that way.[b]

I guess this is what it comes down to, I feel like it is something a person that does not understand IT in general to say something like this, how do I internets and all that kind of stuff.

I also realize it's pretty dumb that it bothered me so much, but it just did...

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

MF_James posted:

I guess this is what it comes down to, I feel like it is something a person that does not understand IT in general to say something like this, how do I internets and all that kind of stuff.

I also realize it's pretty dumb that it bothered me so much, but it just did...

Ultimately you'll probably just have to get over it. However if he says something absurd in the future you may want to point it out in a way that makes him realize he's using the word wrong without being insulting about it. Che Dalilas' example is exactly how I'd like to handle a situation like that however the perfect response is often hard to find until way after it would be useful.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
I honestly probably wouldn't bother. People who use terms like that aren't going to care about correctness, and antagonizing them by correcting them accomplishes nothing (though I guess it's a coin flip if they take it as you correcting them or you honestly not understanding their modern, dynamic language :buddy:).

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

jaegerx posted:

You need to play buzz word bingo. Makes the meetings actually entertaining.

Do the Daily Corporate Meeting Challenge! (Which has sadly stopped updating)

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.
In search of a new ticketing system (currently Lotus Notes 4.5 :whatup: ), our boss has decided not to use anything with SQL Server as a back-end, since that would make us too depended on Windows stuff.

We're developing in Silverlight, with Visual Studio, on our Windows OS, with SQL Server as a back-end, using Outlook and Exhange as mail controllers. Just say you don't want to pay for an extra license for SQL, instead of that bullshit reason. Also, mention it before my colleague spends a week investigating the program.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
If you already have an SQL server running why not just use that then? It's not like it's licensed per database.

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.
Apparently there's a difference between using it to develop and using it for running programs? Or so I'm told by the same boss.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Che Delilas posted:

To be quite honest, this kind of reaction would make me treat you like a :spergin: who doesn't understand metaphors or turns of phrase if you did it on a regular basis.

Rexxed posted:

It's amazing that technical terms are now buzzwords instead of just overused ones like synergy or paradigm. A face to face meeting is by definition offline. Pings are icmp echo requests. I tend to be baffled when I find people using those terms incorrectly until I figure out what the hell they are trying to say because I am mostly get exposed to the correct usage.

"Nothing goes over my head. My reflexes are too fast, I would catch it."

quicksand
Nov 21, 2002

A woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke.

Punc posted:

Apparently there's a difference between using it to develop and using it for running programs? Or so I'm told by the same boss.

Sounds like your company is using MSDN licensing for things and they don't want to buy any non-development licensing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
In response to me accepting a chess game from a colleague and going on lunch to play it (but forgetting to update my status on the wallboard), another colleague decided to tell me i'm skiving off work (at this point I updated my status), that i'm being lazy and topped it off by unplugging my mouse mid game. When I told him after that he was being annoying and that it wasn't needed, he responded by saying "What, is it annoying because i'm actually working?".

Give me the strength not to knock this twat out.

E: And he was trying to VNC into my pc but i'd already blocked that. Jesus Christ, my lunch, my time. gently caress off, guy.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jan 7, 2015