Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Squidster posted:

Why yes, that context-less violence is certainly badass and a thing worth celebrating, yes.

When it's exploding heads? Yeah!

Animated gifs were invented because of Scanners, I'm pretty sure.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Squidster posted:

Why yes, that context-less violence is certainly badass and a thing worth celebrating, yes.

"Pretty much just excessive violence."

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!

Teenage Fansub posted:

When it's exploding heads? Yeah!

Animated gifs were invented because of Scanners, I'm pretty sure.

I think you mean Riki-Oh.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Fine, here's something high brow: Dracula getting kicked in the balls.

Sometime during Planetary

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Uthor posted:

Fine, here's something high brow: Dracula getting kicked in the balls.

gently caress you, Dracula!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Supe's pimp walk in Injustice 14 is always badass.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Why is Bruce using that stupid phone? It's Superman,he can hear you. Also Supes puts his down frame 2. He must realize how stupid it looked...

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Jonny Nox posted:

Why is Bruce using that stupid phone? It's Superman,he can hear you. Also Supes puts his down frame 2. He must realize how stupid it looked...

Know whats more stupid?
That guard pointing his gun at Superman.
And also Batman, but Superman.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Jonny Nox posted:

I guess Batman still needs to hear Supes? Or... well, he can probably lip-read, so maybe not...

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Know whats more stupid?
That guard pointing his gun at Superman.
Look out! He's going to throw it!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm just imagining Batman beating the crap out of some inmate who tried to shank another one, and the poor guy is crying,"But I'm already in prison! :gonk:"

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Well, that's one way to do it.

Godland 19

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Excessive violence, you say?

Mortal Kombat X #1

Hsu Hao's eyeballs on that last page :stare:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It makes me so happy Scorpion's a good guy now. :allears:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Gavok posted:

Hsu Hao's eyeballs on that last page :stare:
Hindsight is 20/20.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

WickedHate posted:

Maybe this time they won't gently caress it up by saying, "Just kidding! The main hero is Shujinko!"

I'm guessing Takeda is going to be in the game due to the story's 25 years later time jump. I am so down with that.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

redbackground posted:

Hindsight is 20/20.

:vince:

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Gavok posted:

Maybe this time they won't gently caress it up by saying, "Just kidding! The main hero is Shujinko!"

I'm guessing Takeda is going to be in the game due to the story's 25 years later time jump. I am so down with that.

After the last ones incredible use of time travel, I am all about whatever time funkiness they want to use.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Not that I mind Scorpion being a hero, buy wasn't one of the results of the hosed up time shenanigans of the previous game that he never learned the truth about his family's death and never got his redemptive arc?

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

WickedHate posted:

He's always kind of a good guy, just easily misled. Sub-Zero in the first game was an unrepentant rear end in a top hat, he appointed himself as Sub-Zero Jr.'s personal guardian angel in 2, got tricked by Quan-Chi in 4, and spent the intervening time between that and Deadly Alliance kicking his rear end all across Hell. Kinda lost track of what happened in the PS2-era games, but he was back to being a good guy in 9 until he was tricked by... Quan Chi.

So basically, keep him away from anyone who looks like Kratos and he's a pretty nice guy. Solid job, clear life goals, even has his own cooking show.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

Not that I mind Scorpion being a hero, buy wasn't one of the results of the hosed up time shenanigans of the previous game that he never learned the truth about his family's death and never got his redemptive arc?

According to the issue's dialogue, the Netherrealm War (MK4's story) happened. While the details are unknown, Kenshi was able to get through to Scorpion and help him regain his humanity. Scorpion's been seeking out other warriors who lost their families during the Netherrealm War so that he can rebuild the Shirai Ryu and help these people the way Kenshi helped him.

Scorpion also walks around maskless, but with a human face.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Gavok posted:

According to the issue's dialogue, the Netherrealm War (MK4's story) happened. While the details are unknown, Kenshi was able to get through to Scorpion and help him regain his humanity. Scorpion's been seeking out other warriors who lost their families during the Netherrealm War so that he can rebuild the Shirai Ryu and help these people the way Kenshi helped him.

Scorpion also walks around maskless, but with a human face.

So how did they sidestep the whole everyone but Johnny Cage, Sonya, and Raiden are dead? I'm assuming it's some explanation like "Quan Chi brought em all back to life to fight the good guys but they broke free" or whatever.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Cadavers4Algernon posted:

So how did they sidestep the whole everyone but Johnny Cage, Sonya, and Raiden are dead? I'm assuming it's some explanation like "Quan Chi brought em all back to life to fight the good guys but they broke free" or whatever.

They didn't. The issue's set "many years ago" and no one appears in it who didn't survive the events of MK9, with the possible exception of Sub-Zero, and even then it could just be another brother.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Wanderer posted:

They didn't. The issue's set "many years ago" and no one appears in it who didn't survive the events of MK9, with the possible exception of Sub-Zero, and even then it could just be another brother.

It sounds like the heroic younger brother from 9. He's working with Raiden, and a Red Dragon grunt pleads that he wouldn't go against Quan Chi, to which Sub Zero says "Quan Chi was a long time ago". The last page is him getting the scar he originally had in his III look, too.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

WickedHate posted:

It sounds like the heroic younger brother from 9. He's working with Raiden, and a Red Dragon grunt pleads that he wouldn't go against Quan Chi, to which Sub Zero says "Quan Chi was a long time ago". The last page is him getting the scar he originally had in his III look, too.

Wasn't the younger brother in a Robot Predator body and then dead in 9? Or was there a 3rd one in the arcade mode ending?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
As if stranger snap backs and resurrections haven't happened in comics. Either way, even if it's not the younger Sub Zero that's definitely who they're hinting at for now.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jan 7, 2015

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Also in the games you can literally murder characters to end each battle, and it doesn't stop them from coming back!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Also in the games you can literally murder characters to end each battle, and it doesn't stop them from coming back!

Not in story mode you can't! :mad:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

S

404GoonNotFound posted:

He's always kind of a good guy, just easily misled. Sub-Zero in the first game was an unrepentant rear end in a top hat, he appointed himself as Sub-Zero Jr.'s personal guardian angel in 2, got tricked by Quan-Chi in 4, and spent the intervening time between that and Deadly Alliance kicking his rear end all across Hell. Kinda lost track of what happened in the PS2-era games, but he was back to being a good guy in 9 until he was tricked by... Quan Chi.

So basically, keep him away from anyone who looks like Kratos and he's a pretty nice guy. Solid job, clear life goals, even has his own cooking show.
So he's the Sting of Mortal Kombat?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

404GoonNotFound posted:

So basically, keep him away from anyone who looks like Kratos

he's kratos' daughter

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Babe Magnet posted:

he's kratos' daughter

?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

kratos was tricked into murdering his wife and daughter, hence why he would need to be kept away from people who look like kratos (implying that one of the people who most look like Kratos would, in fact, be Kratos himself) were he, hypothetically in this situation, kratos daughter. The reason for this is that, were Scorpion Kratos' daughter, it is very likely, at least thematically, that Kratos would have been tricked into murdering him at some point.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Your joke sucks, talking poo!

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

story of my life

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I haven't followed MK lore in ages, but it's good to see that it is still basically a soap opera with added spine-removal.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Grendels Dad posted:

I haven't followed MK lore in ages, but it's good to see that it is still basically a soap opera with added spine-removal.

As all good games are.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Grendels Dad posted:

If it had some arm ripping it would fit in perfectly to the DC universe.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
They still haven't topped Superboy Prime ripping off that one idiots arm, and then like 5 issues later ripping off the other one.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

bobkatt013 posted:

If it had some arm ripping it would fit in perfectly to the DC universe.

1, This.

2, This.
(I couldn't find a better video of the 'Kahn' yell. Sorry. Just watch the fist bit then skip to 0.40.)

MK vs. DC is a terrible game, but it's story is a great laugh considering what they were given. (I am amused by dumb things)

KayTee fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jan 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

They still haven't topped Superboy Prime ripping off that one idiots arm, and then like 5 issues later ripping off the other one.

Risk. That was technically two years later in a completely different crisis crossover, but yeah. The worst part for that poor guy was that first he got his arm ripped off, then he ended up on a villain team as 'the world's first white trash supervillain', then he confronted Prime again and lost the other arm....and that was his last appearance ever; he never appeared again in anything else or even got a background mention, and probably got erased with the Flashpoint reboot. Poor bastard.