Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10
Has anyone used the new steam card idler? Seems like it doesn't auto shutdown once it's idled all the cards, is that just me or did I miss a setting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Im_Special posted:

They actually didn't. People are just entitled as gently caress and want it free or can't read. http://i.imgur.com/FQXVqLb.png vs http://i.imgur.com/Yq73rvm.png it was also a free bundle that was for charity so the dev's didn't get any money from it.

Wow, I'm going to buy this game just to support these guys. It really gets to me when people try to snatch free games off of indie devs like this. :(

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
When you have them side by side like that, yeah, but I hate it when games are in a bundle to promote their greenlight but then dont want to give you a key even though you bought the bundle just for that

A free bundle for charity is obviously something else tho

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Yodzilla posted:

I just often wonder how different many F2P games' revenues would be if they offered a "just buy the drat game option." I know it's because I'm old as gently caress but I have no interest in Planetside 2 because I don't feel like playing the game and playing the monetization model. And just think of the time and resources it takes to manage an economy like that versus "this game costs fifty bucks."

e: and it's not like Planetside 2 was an unknown like Loadout or Blacklight. people we chomping at the bit to get more Planetside

They would die. The entire F2P model is based around getting a small percentage of players to pay absurdly huge amounts of money. If those people could just plonk down $50 for everything they're spending $100+ for a month, the revenue would dry up in an instant.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Morter posted:

Wow, I'm going to buy this game just to support these guys. It really gets to me when people try to snatch free games off of indie devs like this. :(

Already regret it. How is an arrow key not part of the list of 'any keys'?! :negative:

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

^^hahaha, I don't think the game even uses the arrow keys, but I see what you mean. If you're not just joking, you could probably post that in the game's Steam forum and the devs would add it.

Arnold of Soissons posted:

but I hate it when games are in a bundle to promote their greenlight but then dont want to give you a key even though you bought the bundle just for that

Looks like the devs never denied anyone a key though - they even stated multiple times in the Steam forums that while they did not think this version was one that previous owners should get just because they purchased the older game (and it was even free in one bundle), they didn't want to rock the boat and gave out keys anyway so there were no hard feelings.

LOL also at the people who, when confronted with the dev saying "If you feel you were misled or wronged, please friend me/message me and I will send you a key ASAP" (and based on forums responses, they really were getting back to people in under 10 minutes), people were actually accusing them of making them "jump through hoops" for the free keys. :rolleyes:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

poptart_fairy posted:

BG2: Enhanced Edition doesn't include Throne of Bhaal or anything does it? Haven't kept up on when the expansion's getting updated.

All the EE:s so far have included all the official expansions as well as their own additions.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The EE devs adding achievements would be nice too.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Nah, that game was bundled elsewhere as well, and promised steam keys. Including being bundled (for sale) even while the black edition was on steam (originally not named the black edition). This bundle site DID promise steam keys.

They also posted their game on reddit and elsewhere calling it just SanctuaryRPG despite claiming in that steam thread it was a different game because it's a "black edition".

It's one game, it's not a big deal. But making a minor change to the name of your game to get out of bundle obligations is crappy. Nobody made you sell the game in the bundle, just own up to it.

They're not evil or anything but they haven't done anything to be commended for.

E: http://www.dailyindiegame.com/superbundle_14.html

The site clearly promises a steam key if the game is greenlit.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 7, 2015

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

kalstrams posted:

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt launches on May 19th, 2015. If you are looking to play the game on PC, here are the minimum and recommended system requirements.

Minimum System Requirements
Intel CPU Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz
AMD CPU Phenom II X4 940
Nvidia GPU GeForce GTX 660
AMD GPU Radeon HD 7870
RAM 6GB
OS 64-bit Windows 7 or 64-bit Windows 8 (8.1)
DirectX 11
HDD Space 40 GB

Recommended System Requirements
Intel CPU Core i7 3770 3,4 GHz
AMD CPU AMD FX-8350 4 GHz
Nvidia GPU GeForce GTX 770
AMD GPU Radeon R9 290
RAM 8GB
DirectX 11
HDD Space 40 GB
I... I need a new computer.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Jamfrost posted:

I... I need a new computer.
What do you have now?

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

kalstrams posted:

What do you have now?

An old computer.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

kalstrams posted:

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt launches on May 19th, 2015. If you are looking to play the game on PC, here are the minimum and recommended system requirements.

Minimum System Requirements
Intel CPU Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz
AMD CPU Phenom II X4 940
Nvidia GPU GeForce GTX 660
AMD GPU Radeon HD 7870
RAM 6GB
DirectX 11
HDD Space 40 GB

Recommended System Requirements
Intel CPU Core i7 3770 3,4 GHz
AMD CPU AMD FX-8350 4 GHz
Nvidia GPU GeForce GTX 770
AMD GPU Radeon R9 290
RAM 8GB
DirectX 11
HDD Space 40 GB

Hey, I meet the minimum :unsmith:

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Okay, I believe that the people who say Witcher 2 is good aren't crazy. But I don't understand this action RPG where my character moves like he's running through maple syrup. You can't cancel any animations so it's almost (but not quite) like you're queuing up attack chains. I keep getting ganged up on by enemies and I don't see any real way to engage them that's to my advantage, they just clobber me unless I focus entirely on rolling until one guy exposes himself and the two others are busy or a little distant, which is honestly really boring. I have some lovely rear end spell that seems to do very little. Guarding is kind of useful, but you don't start the game with any kind of riposte, so it doesn't really help to make headway.

I can reliably beat like one or two waves of enemies, but I eventually just get health bled and die in the first combat section and have to start the entire prologue over because you can't save during combat. What am I missing, here? This just feels like a really clumsy, sloppy action game, but I'm willing to be convinced that I'm missing something important.

I had the same reaction to The Witcher 2 when I tried to play it recently, but in my mind the game's greatest sin is following up some of the best 2 hours or so of video gaming I've ever played by dumping you in a generic backwater town full of boring NPCs and "kill some monsters" side quests. Why do RPG developers have such trouble keeping up momentum?

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Bruteman posted:

Looks like the devs never denied anyone a key though - they even stated multiple times in the Steam forums that while they did not think this version was one that previous owners should get just because they purchased the older game (and it was even free in one bundle), they didn't want to rock the boat and gave out keys anyway so there were no hard feelings.

It sucks if people take advantage but honestly I think giving ppl who are only looking for a free thing their free thing is smarter in the long run than sticking to your guns and having a bunch of dumbasses pitching a bitch allover your forums

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Devil Wears Wings posted:

I had the same reaction to The Witcher 2 when I tried to play it recently, but in my mind the game's greatest sin is following up some of the best 2 hours or so of video gaming I've ever played by dumping you in a generic backwater town full of boring NPCs and "kill some monsters" side quests. Why do RPG developers have such trouble keeping up momentum?

Did you just call the lovely tutorial castle "the best 2 hours or so of video gaming I've ever played"?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

botany posted:

Did you just call the lovely tutorial castle "the best 2 hours or so of video gaming I've ever played"?
Seems so. :psyduck:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

botany posted:

Hey man, to each their own! *Continues to play Watch_Dogs* :smithicide:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Yodzilla posted:

I just often wonder how different many F2P games' revenues would be if they offered a "just buy the drat game option." I know it's because I'm old as gently caress but I have no interest in Planetside 2 because I don't feel like playing the game and playing the monetization model. And just think of the time and resources it takes to manage an economy like that versus "this game costs fifty bucks."

e: and it's not like Planetside 2 was an unknown like Loadout or Blacklight. people we chomping at the bit to get more Planetside

They're chasing the whales and whales only spend if they can spend to win. For example see PlayStation Home which they kept open for about a thousand people across the entire world because they spent so much money that it kept making a profit.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
So how is SimCity 4 that just went on sale for $5?

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

AnimalChin posted:

By all accounts it's two hours of really fun/beautiful city building followed by a rage and despair spiral as all the broken bugs grind your city to a halt. So can you get $5 of fun out of two hours of game?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Anonymous Robot posted:

Okay, I believe that the people who say Witcher 2 is good aren't crazy. But I don't understand this action RPG where my character moves like he's running through maple syrup. You can't cancel any animations so it's almost (but not quite) like you're queuing up attack chains.

Get the combat rebalance mod. It's by the lead combat designer at CD Projekt. The guy who made the combat engine in the first place. It's basically a huge gently caress-off semi-official update to the game that fixes almost everything the community pointed out was wrong, including addressing the inverse difficulty curve. The biggest thing it changes is making the combat much more responsive, making many animations cancellable out of, and making blocking a passive action, turning Quen into more of a direct magical parry.

Purists will tell you that you should play through the game entirely unmodded so you can see the game as the developers intended. This mod is literally the developer changing it to be even more as intended, and was promoted on the official site for the game, so those people are dumb and you should ignore them.

One tip for this mod. The Walk button keeps Geralt facing the locked target. This is important and blocking has a near-100% rate at enemies directly in front, and a much reduced rate for those behind.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 7, 2015

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Darkhold posted:

By all accounts it's two hours of really fun/beautiful city building followed by a rage and despair spiral as all the broken bugs grind your city to a halt. So can you get $5 of fun out of two hours of game?

That's SimCity5, you retard. 4 is the good one.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

corn in the bible posted:

Oh sorry for causing offense of me misreading a post. Cranky today are we?

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
The combat rebalanced mod borks about as many things as it fixes, so in the long run it doesn't really matter. The game is fine with or without it.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Underwhelmed posted:

The combat rebalanced mod borks about as many things as it fixes, so in the long run it doesn't really matter. The game is fine with or without it.

The first release had some problems, but the final build has just one known issue (one rune has a 200% chance to instant kill instead of 2% - oops) which needs a 4kb hotfix file.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Dominic White posted:

Get the combat rebalance mod. It's by the lead combat designer at CD Projekt. The guy who made the combat engine in the first place. It's basically a huge gently caress-off semi-official update to the game that fixes almost everything the community pointed out was wrong, including addressing the inverse difficulty curve. The biggest thing it changes is making the combat much more responsive, making many animations cancellable out of, and making blocking a passive action, turning Quen into more of a direct magical parry.

Purists will tell you that you should play through the game entirely unmodded so you can see the game as the developers intended. This mod is literally the developer changing it to be even more as intended, and was promoted on the official site for the game, so those people are dumb and you should ignore them.

One tip for this mod. The Walk button keeps Geralt facing the locked target. This is important and blocking has a near-100% rate at enemies directly in front, and a much reduced rate for those behind.

It's one of the developers, not the studio as a whole, or it'd probably be a patch! The dude you quoted is straight up bad at the combat, it's not a balance issue.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS

Anonymous Robot posted:

Okay, I believe that the people who say Witcher 2 is good aren't crazy. But I don't understand this action RPG where my character moves like he's running through maple syrup. You can't cancel any animations so it's almost (but not quite) like you're queuing up attack chains. I keep getting ganged up on by enemies and I don't see any real way to engage them that's to my advantage, they just clobber me unless I focus entirely on rolling until one guy exposes himself and the two others are busy or a little distant, which is honestly really boring. I have some lovely rear end spell that seems to do very little. Guarding is kind of useful, but you don't start the game with any kind of riposte, so it doesn't really help to make headway.

I can reliably beat like one or two waves of enemies, but I eventually just get health bled and die in the first combat section and have to start the entire prologue over because you can't save during combat. What am I missing, here? This just feels like a really clumsy, sloppy action game, but I'm willing to be convinced that I'm missing something important.

Press Ctrl and meditate. Drink a potion or two. Swallow is highly recommended.

You'll probably notice that with Ctrl, you can change your spells too. Make use of all of your spells. Aard twice on shield enemies will stun them, making them open to an instant execution. Quen allows you to take strikes without stagger. Yrden functions like a stun trap and is most useful in 1 v 2 situations at this point. Igni is just pure fire damage. I like using it on the heavily armored opponents. Axii is mind control and converts an enemy into an ally. It only works on the weak ones though.

Drink potions.

Edit: I didn't like the combat rebalance mod either.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

It's one of the developers, not the studio as a whole

It's the lead combat engine designer. The guy who makes the combat engine. That part is his part of the game, and the official Witcher site was promoting it for a while, too.

That's about as close to official as you can get. Only reason it wasn't is because they were already deep in working on the sequel and couldn't QA a complete rebalance of the whole game.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

AnimalChin posted:

This must be a sign because last night I dreamt I was playing Sim City 3000 and I really, really need my fuckin' fix.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Dominic White posted:

I feel like that the lead combat designer having to release an unofficial mod to his own game tells you more about the game than anything else. Im sure theres a lot of great stuff in that game but it is just not fun to play at all for me.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The project designer for New Vegas released an entirely separate mod that is pretty much a complete overhaul and probably the way it should have been, but once again there's that huge issue of large companies not being willing to QA extensive overhauls, or in Bethesda's case QA anything at all :v:

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS

Ddraig posted:

or in Bethesda's case QA anything at all :v:

You just reminded me of my unpatched PS3 Skyrim experience. Those were dark days.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

corn in the bible posted:

this is also the lowest price it goes to, and lower than it went during the xmas sale

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"

Jamfrost posted:

You just reminded me of my unpatched PS3 Skyrim experience. Those were dark days.

I'm sure some days were hilarious too.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Is there going to be an awesome soundtrack to Road Redemption?

This CIV track from Road Rash 64 needs to be on there. It IS Road Rash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMR7DBsjAnM

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Dominic White posted:

Only reason it wasn't is because they were already deep in working on the sequel and couldn't QA a complete rebalance of the whole game.
That's an incredibly compelling reason to play an original game first, if you think about it logically. The mod is not a magical "cure it all" wand, and it used to have a piles of it's own issues as well.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

All I know is that one time a dragon flew backwards and upsidedown really fast on my 360, and crashed the game, and on loading the dragon was stuck inside the ground. It was fixed :(.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Hey, I meet the minimum :unsmith:

I almost do! 4GB of RAM and a slightly lower CPU but I've been able to play games with similar settings before, especially after overclocking. 1280x720 Low here I come!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
How do you guys only have 4GB of ram? That's, like, what WIndows uses on its own because it's a bloaty piece of poo poo (I run win7 :saddowns:)

• Locked thread