Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
Yesterday I was eating in a restaurant, and it happened to have Sportscenter on. They had an interviewee talking about the Baseball Hall of Fame, and how he was frustrated that he had to leave older players who he thought were Hall of Famers off of his ballet because more people were becoming eligible that he thought should go in each year then could go in each year.

This made me wonder, which Sport has the 'best' Hall of Fame, and what does it mean to even have a 'Good' Hall of Fame? I'm honestly not a sports guy. I watch Wrestling and I like hockey but I'm not super into Hockey enough to understand the workings of it's Hall of Fame or anything like that. The WWE Hall of Fame is basically chosen by whim so it's not exactly a great example, so I'm curious how other sports do their Hall of Fames, what it means to be in the Hall, if it even does? Do some sports have Physical Halls? Is there a Hall of Fame that is generally recognized as being the 'Best' at being one, whatever that means?

I'm really curious about this but, obviously, don't really have any knowledge to add to the topic other then wanting to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Are you talking about being the best museum? Having the best process for induction? Having the most representative membership? Something else?

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

zakharov posted:

Are you talking about being the best museum? Having the best process for induction? Having the most representative membership? Something else?

All of the above, actually. Do some sports do one well but not others? Stuff like that is interesting to me. It's kind of an odd curiosity I got and wanted to know from people who would know more then me.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

The WWE Hall of Fame has Pete Rose and Mike Tyson, therefore it is the best.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
The Basketball Hall of Fame is pretty cool. There is no HoF specifically for NBA, so you get college and international players, too. It is also very inclusive; as long as you had a major positive impact on some aspect of the sport, you will get in.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Kibner posted:

The Basketball Hall of Fame is pretty cool. There is no HoF specifically for NBA, so you get college and international players, too. It is also very inclusive; as long as you had a major positive impact on some aspect of the sport, you will get in.

This is how it should be handled as opposed to baseball where a bunch of crotchety old white guys who haven't covered baseball in two decades decide who gets in and who doesn't.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

1. Hockey Hall of Fame.
2. NFL Hall of Fame.
3. Everyone else.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Great White Hope posted:

The WWE Hall of Fame has Pete Rose and Mike Tyson, therefore it is the best.

And Drew Carey, and not as of this posting Randy Savage, so also it is objectively the worst

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

BrigadierSensible posted:

And Drew Carey, and not as of this posting Randy Savage, so also it is objectively the worst

We are forever denied a Macho Man induction acceptance speech, and that is truly the greatest crime of all.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Honestly baseball seems to have the only Hall of Fame that people really care about, so it's probably baseball.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Also it has Donald Trump :barf:

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
The baseball hall of fame is definitely the coolest museum, and it's a nice little town in upstate NY vs anywhere in Ohio, middle of Massachusetts, or (toronto is better but Hockey HOF is not considered).

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Wrestling, if you count the Observer Hall of Fame, in terms of "great membership". Doesn't have a physical places unfortunately.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

Macho Man announced for 2015 WWE HOF. WWE HOF best HOF.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I've been to the NFL and MLB halls, and both seemed too much like kooky tourist attractions. They should be more like a solemn WW1 memorial where we contemplate the sacrifices and triumph of sporting man.

At least the NFL system of induction seems to work smoothly, the good players are picked each year and there aren't weird feuds and unwritten rules that needlessly complicate things.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Akbar posted:

Macho Man announced for 2015 WWE HOF. WWE HOF best HOF.

OTOH they're having Hulk Hogan induct him, which seems like a hilarious troll considering their relationship

For those who don't know, supposedly the reason Macho had to leave WWF and hasn't been inducted to this point is that he took a teenaged Stephanie McMahon's virginity (ehhhhh probably not true)

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
The Baseball Hall of Fame is the best, because I like baseball more than I like the other sports

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

In order to be relevant you probably shouldn't have your voting committee comprised of a group of people with weird vendettas against people and things and eras and black people and whatever else makes them angry. The baseball hall of fame is like a weird parody. I've never physically been to any of these halls, though

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

Intruder posted:

OTOH they're having Hulk Hogan induct him, which seems like a hilarious troll considering their relationship

For those who don't know, supposedly the reason Macho had to leave WWF and hasn't been inducted to this point is that he took a teenaged Stephanie McMahon's virginity (ehhhhh probably not true)

You know this is just setup for an audio run-in of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMbcOC5dS5k

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
The Hockey Hall of Fame could be a tent with the Stanley Cup in it and names written on a whiteboard and it would still be the best

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
The NFL will be the best HOF for me when they induct Jerome Bettis and Hines Ward so I can bath in the tears of people who hate them for some reason

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Kibner posted:

This seems like the best one. Baseball HOF has been loving awful for the last few years and will only get worse as the pettiness intensifies.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I've been to the HOFs for hockey, basketball and NASCAR. I'd rank them in that order too, although they're all really cool in their own way.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

NASCAR's Hall is great because it bilked Charlotte out of like 20 million dollars for an ugly rear end convention center. I hear the International Motorsports Hall of Fame (like the basketball one, it's non-denominational) in Alabama is pretty nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

The NFL will be the best HOF for me when they induct Jerome Bettis and Hines Ward so I can bath in the tears of people who hate them for some reason
Neither of those guys should be in, and it's not because of hatred or anything like that. Bettis is probably the most well liked of the 2000s Steelers.

• Locked thread