Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

MiniSune posted:

Not content with the old boys missing out on the scandals stakes, former great Jason Smith shows the young uns how to do it by being charged with cocaine trafficking.

There's been a worrying lack of scandals this offseason; I'm waiting for something big to come out and shatter the peace. Considering everything that's come before I assume the natural progression is for someone to be found guilty of necrophilia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
Rugby League 2015: I assume the natural progression is for someone to be found guilty of necrophilia

Speaking of which, is someone putting together the 2015 thread?

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Jono C posted:

Rugby League 2015: I assume the natural progression is for someone to be found guilty of necrophilia

Speaking of which, is someone putting together the 2015 thread?

If memory serves we usually half arse it until the last minute.

iajanus posted:

There's been a worrying lack of scandals this offseason; I'm waiting for something big to come out and shatter the peace. Considering everything that's come before I assume the natural progression is for someone to be found guilty of necrophilia.

Well Loko got done for high range drink driving, but since normal people do that it's not terribly surprising nor shocking.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

We normally keep using this one until just before the preseason games and then someone (me) makes the new one. If anyone else wants to do it this year let me know...

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

I can make it!

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
I'm up for doing the super league bit again if anyone is bothered about having a super league bit again

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I'm up for doing the super league bit again if anyone is bothered about having a super league bit again

I am because I am going to the UK in May and will be at the Rhinos' game against Hull KR on the 22nd.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL

MiniSune posted:

If memory serves we usually half arse it until the last minute.

I half arse it twelve months a year around here, I assume everyone else does the same.

Mills posted:

I can make it!

I'm hoping that it'll be slightly more than photos of the Burgess boys and Russell Crowe with their shirts off.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Apollodorus posted:

I am because I am going to the UK in May and will be at the Rhinos' game against Hull KR on the 22nd.

I will be at that game, abusing Ryan Bailey. From a great distance.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Put me down as a Broncos supporter whoever makes the thread, I'm extremely excited about 2015's potential to be even more of a catastrophic disappointment than last year

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

I'll work on it this weekend.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
I am pessimistic but less so than last year. Stuart has cleaned out some deadwood.

Still have mccrone though.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I'm pessimistic about the Tigers' chances but that's only because I've seen them play every other year and know that they are terrible and also all we've done in the offseason is sell our better performers and try not to get injured.

Mills, if you make the thread I'm expecting something special - I put a lot of effort into making derogatory comments about the Tigers and will be very sad if there isn't a similar level of effort put in to telling the world how much of an abortion the team is.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I will be at that game, abusing Ryan Bailey. From a great distance.

Such a shame about Bailey, yeah.

But seriously, can you show me and my fiancée around Headingley before the match?

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Apollodorus posted:

Such a shame about Bailey, yeah.

But seriously, can you show me and my fiancée around Headingley before the match?

It'd be my pleasure, of course.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

If anyone comes up to Brisbane for a game I'd be happy to take them out for a pub crawl before we commit suicide for being in Brisbane.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

iajanus posted:

If anyone comes up to Brisbane for a game I'd be happy to take them out for a pub crawl before we commit suicide for being in Brisbane.

Don't top yourself mate, there's always hope. I'm sure the Mighty Broncos will still let you become a member despite being a cockroach. Hell, we even let Lazarus win a premiership up here even though he was notherly-handicapped.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

stickyfngrdboy posted:

It'd be my pleasure, of course.

Awesome, you are cool and good.

We're trying to sort out tickets soon, as well. I know the South Stand is the place to be for real fans, but we're a little worried that after two weeks of travel we may not be able to do it justice. What would you recommend?

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Apollodorus posted:

Awesome, you are cool and good.

We're trying to sort out tickets soon, as well. I know the South Stand is the place to be for real fans, but we're a little worried that after two weeks of travel we may not be able to do it justice. What would you recommend?

Well I'm only going to recommend the south stand because it owns. It's loud, but very much family friendly (swearing at a referee through the medium of song is encouraged, loudly calling him a oval office is not. Those around you will warn you if you're being a dick well before a steward needs to). There'll be loads of kids at the front so they can see Ronnie. The band - we have a loving band- will be in the centre, near the back, but you might want to avoid the halfway line altogether if you like being able to hear things for a few days post-match. I stand quite near the band on the halfway line but in a very tactical spot for toilet and bar access.

There are other (more gay) options, if you want them, but i cannot speak for the experience. you'll enjoy it whichever stand you go in, honest.

If you would like a nice sit down, but still want a decent midfield view, you want the north stand. The upper section (main stand) is old school wooden seating, very nice but very uncomfortable for long sit downs. the lower section is called the paddock and has newer, plastic seating, very uncomfortable. The dugouts are in the paddock, and the players ENTER THE ARENA from here. The fans in Main and Paddock vary but they're usually older people who don't like standing up. We don't swear in this bit, and we don't get drunk.

If you prefer being behind the sticks, the carnegie stand is your only option because you don't want to mingle with the fishheads at the opposite end, where there is no cover at all if it happens to rain. Upstairs for seating and corporate, and a much better view of the away end and scoreboard. lower for terracing, some of it uncovered, but more atmosphere. Partly covered. Here you're close to the players when they score at that end, which some people enjoy, and for good reason (our players are all very handsome). At the bigger games it's like a mini south stand, at KR it might be quite quiet, idk I can't remember last season's crowd.

I have no idea what it's like down under (e: actually I seem to remember you saying you were from a leeds in the US so maybe irrelevant), but here RL fans mingle with each other, before and after the game, in the boozer (skyrack ) and in and around the stadium, because we're all friends and there's a code of conduct to follow which is be nice to everyone.

I'll obviously help with any questions or whatever, and I'll do what i can to help when you get here, if you need it. May is ages away but we'll sort email out or something as you don't have PMs. Forewarning: I will definitely drink more than three (twelve) beers on matchday and I may or may not introduce you to gaz schofield, if you remember him, idk how old you are. depends on if i remember or if he's annoyed with me, which happens sometimes. Australian supporters (e: if you're australians) will be especially loved thanks to Brett Delaney.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
I actually do have PMs now, I'd been meaning to upgrade and you just reminded me.

And no, I am not Australian, I am indeed from Leeds in Massachusetts USA and have been to exactly zero RL matches before. But, I imagine college football spectating might translate reasonably well.

Since my fiancee is an ethnomusicologist, maybe I can convince her that the South Stand would be a good basis for an article. Heck, I'm probably going to write a piece about the trip for my old hometown newspaper, or try to anyway.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Have we signed Foran yet?

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Ewar Woowar posted:

Have we signed Foran yet?

Yes, Watson tweeted it and everything!!! It was- hold on...what??? He meant Bodene Thompson? :negative:

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Bodene is the worst name ever and it does not surprise me he plays league.

You think we'll see much more movement in or out of the Warriors? There is clearly some money to spend but I worry that they're holding out on trying to get Foran and when that plan predictably falls apart it will be too late to bring anyone else in.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Ewar Woowar posted:

Bodene is the worst name ever and it does not surprise me he plays league.

You think we'll see much more movement in or out of the Warriors? There is clearly some money to spend but I worry that they're holding out on trying to get Foran and when that plan predictably falls apart it will be too late to bring anyone else in.

I think Foran is actually off contract after next season not this, it's just we thought salary cap pressures may force their hand. I don't see it happening with Watmough and Stewart gone, but next offseason could be more interesting.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

We were probably overdue for the obligatory "Matai to the Warriors" story, at least this time it isn't being reported as a done deal and there's another team in the mix:
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...108-12jktw.html

Foran's off contract at the end of 2015, but Manly will be sending truckloads of cash to him and DCE. It will take a miracle for him to leave.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Mother-in-law got my wife (the actual fan) and me the top bracket of Season Tickets for the Titans. It feels very dirty to see my name on the back of the membership card. On the upside, the first game we get to see is the Tigers game so at least I can look forward to that before seeing the other 11 home games of Titans dreck.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Ken Nagas is intending to play for Canberra at the Nines.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Probably couldn't do worse than a lot of the lads in the regular NRL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

I am not as funny as iajanus but I did my best.

• Locked thread