Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
I papilloted the hell out of some tilapia fillets. Carrots, fennel, red onions, lemon zest and juice and some white wine.

The fennel fronds on top ended up looking less than appetizing, but all in all, would papillote again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
I made a Yule-chili from leftover pork-belly and Yule beverages.

Bonus:

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

...you put Julebrus in chili?

:psyberger:

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
Julebrus instead of Cola, that's what makes it julechili :downs:
I don't think it ruined the taste, and it made it more "julete", but I doubt I'll try it again next year.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
I got a new tagine for Christmas, and I kept seeing this particular dish posted up in the old thread and it looked delicious (I can't recall usernames, but anyone who's made this, thanks for the inspiration), so I decided to take a shot at tagine kefta mkawra, with lemon, coriander and black cumin couscous.

It was pretty drat delicious and it's going in the comfort food book for sure.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
We really gotta use our tagine more often. That looks amazing.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Not posted for a while as my son shot out of my wife mid-December. There were some good plates from around then though.

Trout, Asparagus, Celery Root with Balsamic, Preserved Lemon

Calcio e Pepe

Oven Baked Gochujang Wings

Potato Pave being browned

Rocket Pesto, Cavatelli, Chicken.

Skate Wings (Served with Bell Pepper sauce, Green Beans with Anchovies, Fingerling Potatoes)

A mere Trifle

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
First time putting chicken in the sous-vide. Boneless skinless, 140F for a couple of hours. Finished off by wrapping with prosciutto and giving it a quick pan-fry. Mushrooms, garlic, white wine, capers. Looks unfortunately like lungs but so tender and good.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
I decided to go meatless for January, simply to lower my sheer caloric intake post-holidays, and I really should have just resolved not to read this thread. Between chili, wings, and prosciutto-wrapped chicken, I'm being sorely tested right now.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Veritek83 posted:

I decided to go meatless for January, simply to lower my sheer caloric intake post-holidays, and I really should have just resolved not to read this thread. Between chili, wings, and prosciutto-wrapped chicken, I'm being sorely tested right now.

Probably not a good time for me to decide to do my first post-Christmas-presents (Anova and Searzall) steak dinner then, either. But I did!

Strip steak @ 135F for about 90 minutes, herb roasted taters, green beans with lemon butter and cayenne.

My phone takes surprisingly not-exceptionally-lovely pictures. Also of all the things to burn myself on, what with the blowtorching, I burned my finger on the oven while extracting the potatoes.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Phanatic posted:

First time putting chicken in the sous-vide. Boneless skinless, 140F for a couple of hours. Finished off by wrapping with prosciutto and giving it a quick pan-fry. Mushrooms, garlic, white wine, capers. Looks unfortunately like lungs but so tender and good.

How did you like it for chicken? I've had great results for red meat but my two chicken attempts haven't been much different than my regular prep methods.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

That Works posted:

How did you like it for chicken? I've had great results for red meat but my two chicken attempts haven't been much different than my regular prep methods.

Loved it. Will do again. Repeatedly.

Even if your standard prep is good enough to yield such a tender texture, I just love the no-brainer method of dunking the bag in and not worrying about it for 120 minutes or so while I do other things.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Veritek83 posted:

This would result in me ending up anemic, again. I tried to cut my red meat intake to one serving or less a week, and my iron dropped so far I was short of breath. Supplements and veggies high in iron didn't help, either. So I'm back on the meat train. I'm pretty sure I could live on red meat, potatoes and the odd fruit.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Phanatic posted:

It looks like LOBSTER. Do it with butter and a bit of paprika. Bam, mock lobster.

TastesLikeChicken
Dec 30, 2007

Doesn't everything?

Navy Bean Soup with the hambone and extra ham bits left over from New Years Day. At least, this is what's left of it after we attacked the pot like starving weasels.

I kept wanting to add more rosemary but I was afraid of it becoming overpowering. I added about a tablespoon minced (fresh) at the beginning and about another teaspoon at the end.

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Suspect Bucket posted:

It looks like LOBSTER. Do it with butter and a bit of paprika. Bam, mock lobster.

You should do it at the beach, with matching towels...MOCK LOBSTAH!

sharkattack
Mar 26, 2008

8bit Shark Attack!

Cavenagh posted:

Calcio e Pepe

Congrats on the new kid :D!
You inspired my dinner last night---only I added roasted sprouts on top because I am obsessed with them.

other stuff:

strawberry preserves that I can't stop putting over molly moon's early grey ice cream (I picked the strawberries myself!):

Also picked some tomatoes so I made salsa:

these ridiculous cookies that are inspired by momofuku milk bar---frosted flake crunch funfetti:

and these bloody marys with basil-serrano ice cubes and cucumber soda:

I also had a recent huge fail while attempting to make yeasted donuts for a donut strawberry shortcake thing. I thought I could make square donuts using the world's worst thermometer, and the insides were raw :cry:

this is a photo before the first rise...also they stuck like poo poo to that drat wax paper, and the tea towel I put over top...never again.

Nelson Mandela
Jun 4, 2007

SO SHINY
SO CHROME
Baked carbonara-ish bites:

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Nelson Mandela posted:

Those look like I could eat way too many of them. Got a recipe?

Nelson Mandela
Jun 4, 2007

SO SHINY
SO CHROME
They're from THIS WONDERFUL BOOK, which I highly recommend.

For 6 (and a bit) portions:

225g dried spaghetti
3 eggs (the recipe says 4 but my eggs were huge)
A little olive oil
50g pancetta
A handful of fresh basil
A little fresh Parmesan

Boil the pasta until al dente. Meanwhile chop and fry pancetta until crispy, then drain off the oil. Beat the eggs, chop and add the basil and pancetta. Throw in the cooked spaghetti and mix until coated (I cooled the spaghetti under cold water first to stop the eggs from scrambling, but the recipe doesn't mention this, so...). Divide up into greased muffin tins, top with a little grating of Parmesan and stick in the oven at 180C/350F for 10-12 minutes (until the egg is just set). Loosen with a knife, let cool then turn out.

I found that it was super eggy and I was left with a bowl full of egg and pancetta so I just topped each portion with it before adding the cheese. The bottom half of each portion is much more omelettey than the top, consequently. You could possibly make do with just 2 eggs, though, as long as everything was coated enough to hold it together.

They're also not very strongly seasoned because they're designed for consumption during exercise, so you might want to play around with that.

Nelson Mandela fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jan 10, 2015

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I banhed all the mis....again. Made a pork sausage this time, but prefer it with ground chicken actually. Oh, and the grocery store was out of daikon, those jerks.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

plasmoduck
Sep 20, 2009

That's a beautiful looking salsa! I'll have to check our market for nice, non-bland tomatoes...

I brought a Donauwelle to work! Usually not a baker, so I was very happy how this turned out - I'd tried it before and it was too dry/dense/stiff so I messed with the recipe a bit which worked!

Today we had pizza again. My bf was missing Papa Murphy's "Chicken bacon artichoke" (we don't have that here), so I tried to make our own version. It was decent!

plasmoduck fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jan 10, 2015

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

sharkattack posted:

Congrats on the new kid :D!
You inspired my dinner last night---only I added roasted sprouts on top because I am obsessed with them.

Thanks. He's sprawled out across my arm as I type.

The sprouts are an interesting addition. The dish can be so lip burning peppery that I could see dairy coming in, or bacon, because everyone reaches for the bacon, but roast sprouts are a tad surprising,

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
We made lemon-poppyseed muffins. They don't look like much but they are delicious. We had too much leftover lemon juice so we made a lemon glaze.

edit: whoops we don't need a 3200px image, not even in timg tags

guppy fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jan 11, 2015

baw
Nov 5, 2008

sharkattack posted:

and these bloody marys with basil-serrano ice cubes and cucumber soda:

I love this picture.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

guppy posted:

We made lemon-poppyseed muffins. They don't look like much but they are delicious. We had too much leftover lemon juice so we made a lemon glaze.

edit: whoops we don't need a 3200px image, not even in timg tags

Those don't really look like muffins, more like cumcakes.

Nelson Mandela
Jun 4, 2007

SO SHINY
SO CHROME

mobby_6kl posted:

Those don't really look like muffins, more like cumcakes.

Is your cum full of black specks? See a doctor, sir!

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

Phanatic posted:

drat, that looks like a showstopper of a dish there.

Nelson Mandela posted:

And these look quite interesting, going to have to give them a try!

I tagine'd again today:

Chicken, apricot and spinach tagine with seasoned rice and a (unfortunately shop bought due to a slight lack of time) grilled flatbread.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Olpainless posted:

(unfortunately shop bought due to a slight lack of time) grilled flatbread.

Try these next time. Google translate the page and go for it. It's really fast and you don't even have to get your hands dirty if you mix it all in a bowl.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

baw posted:

Try these next time. Google translate the page and go for it. It's really fast and you don't even have to get your hands dirty if you mix it all in a bowl.

Cheers, I'll give these a try and keep the recipe handy for next time.

Nelson Mandela
Jun 4, 2007

SO SHINY
SO CHROME
More Feed Zone goodness...

Ham and pineapple baked rice cakes.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
Made some catfish en papillote for the first time on the suggestions of the quick recipe request thread and it was amazing.

Onions, mushrooms, green peppers, lemon slices, topped with garlic and shallots and white wine. Will do this again for sure. I think id love it with some fennel instead of onion.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Olpainless posted:

drat, that looks like a showstopper of a dish there.

And these look quite interesting, going to have to give them a try!

I tagine'd again today:

Chicken, apricot and spinach tagine with seasoned rice and a (unfortunately shop bought due to a slight lack of time) grilled flatbread.

NWS that poo poo.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Didn't feel like meat today, so I made a bowl of lentil "chili" and a small pull apart bread with cheese, spring onions and jalapenos.

no regrets

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
I seem to be having a North African thing going on at the moment.

Ras-el-hanout seasoned lamb, roasted mushroom, garlic and smoked paprika couscous with a little baby leek tossed in, spinach, crispy parsnip brunoise, reduced pomegranate balsamic drizzle:

Bonus 'juicy and rare as all hell' action shot:

Tig Ol Bitties
Jan 22, 2010

pew pew pew
I made carnitas for the first time! I vaguely followed the Serious Eats recipe, but they turned out really delicious. My husband doesn't really like...food...so when he tried them his reaction was "meh, I don't really like carnitas." So I'm sharing them here because your food makes me happy.

We were out of flour for tortillas so I turned them into nachos using up some leftover roasted veggies. Not very photogenic, but still delicious. Yay, guac!

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
That looks awesome.

Sever.

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

Tig Ol Bitties posted:

I made carnitas for the first time! I vaguely followed the Serious Eats recipe, but they turned out really delicious. My husband doesn't really like...food...so when he tried them his reaction was "meh, I don't really like carnitas." So I'm sharing them here because your food makes me happy.

I know what I'm making tomorrow. Those look so good!

Also

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

paraquat posted:

Didn't feel like meat today, so I made a bowl of lentil "chili" and a small pull apart bread with cheese, spring onions and jalapenos.

no regrets

Love that bread, could I get the recipe, please?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Olpainless posted:

White Bordeaux with lamb

:frogout:

• Locked thread