Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Yeah EP's timestamp is 9:59 pm EST so it's juuuuuust under the wire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

Quidnose posted:

EP's vote was 8 minutes after Chic's vote finder "10 minutes" post so I think that is a cuddle.

Nothing to do but wait for a judges ruling from Diqnol.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

Ernie. posted:

Chic pm quidnose to pm winged oprheus to pm diqnol to pm ecco to pm soru to fix votefinder.

No no no, Chic needs to pm quid to pm winged orpheus to pm ecco to pm soru to pm twelvebaud now

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

The people gather around double doors, clamoring, hemming, and hawing, proclaiming the who had done their fellow denizens wrong at the top of their lungs and stealthily dropping primary weapons behind their true targets so as to implicate them. A voice rings out, "Well we have to pick somebody." The use of voicechat is largely frowned upon in such civil proceedings yet impactful, so the crowd paused in unison to consider who might be the real piece of poo poo. "Somber tried to scam me for skins!" "I googled this kid's steamid and it came up clean! It's almost like it's brand new...cheaters buy brand new keys!" "He's a gonber" "lol" "bahahaha". As their laughter increased, the YES votes came to a climax, and Somberbrero was no more, punished merely for joining a 24/7 de_dust2 60 tick pub with a bad attitude.

Somberbrero, CS Aligned Pubbie, has been kicked from the server!

"Pwned." "You know, when you really think about it, dude was alright." "Let's kick somebody whos actually bad next time, hmm team?"

:siren:Night 1 has begun! You have 24 hours to submit all night actions!:siren:

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Votecount for Day 1

Somberbrero (13): Quidnose, merk, Asiina, merk, Rarity, Allen Wren, Pinterest Mom, KhyrosFinalCut, Quidnose, merk, Dugong, merk, Chic Trombone, Ernie., fiery_valkyrie, Winged Orpheus, Quidnose, Amoeba102, Epsilon Plus
Dugong (2): merk, Somberbrero
fiery_valkyrie (2): Somberbrero, Your Personal Muse, uranus, Pinterest Mom, Pinterest Mom, Somberbrero
merk (0): Ernie., Chic Trombone, Winged Orpheus, Ernie., Epsilon Plus, Amoeba102, Ernie., Chic Trombone, Quidnose, Ernie., Winged Orpheus, Quidnose, Amoeba102, Epsilon Plus
Winged Orpheus (0): Ernie., KhyrosFinalCut, Ernie., KhyrosFinalCut, KhyrosFinalCut, KhyrosFinalCut
Chic Trombone (0): Somberbrero, Your Personal Muse, Somberbrero, Your Personal Muse, merk, merk
Quidnose (0): Epsilon Plus, Epsilon Plus
Dr. Hurt (0): KhyrosFinalCut, KhyrosFinalCut
Tremendous Taste (0): Ernie., Ernie.
Epsilon Plus (0): Asiina, Dugong, Ernie., Dugong, Ernie., Asiina, KhyrosFinalCut, KhyrosFinalCut, fiery_valkyrie, fiery_valkyrie
Pinterest Mom (0): fiery_valkyrie, fiery_valkyrie
Your Personal Muse (0): Dugong, Dugong
uranus (0): Winged Orpheus, Winged Orpheus, Allen Wren, Allen Wren
Allen Wren (0): Pinterest Mom, Pinterest Mom
KhyrosFinalCut (0): Rarity, Rarity

Not Voting (6): Dr. Hurt, EXAKT Science, HiipFire, Little Mac, Murmur Twin, Tremendous Taste

With 23 alive, it's 12 votes to lynch. The current deadline is January 06th, 2015 at 10 p.m. EST -- that's in about 0 minutes.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

The night shift is not kind to the denizens of the server. Daycrew comes back in to find that there are significantly fewer people on the server now.

Quidnose, CS-Aligned Baiter, has died of a ragestroke from grenade spam on his person in a ceasefire period!
Epsilon Plus, CS-Aligned Pubbie, has been pwned!
Dr. Hurt, CS-Aligned Pubbie, has thrown his keyboard and mouse against the wall!

Vexingly, the lag has not seemed to have slowed up at all, so the show must go on, as they say! Fatal1ty is counting on you!

It is now Day 2! The Deadline is set for Sunday evening at 7pm. It will not be extended.

Byers2142 replaces Murmur Twin!

Diqnol fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jan 8, 2015

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 2

Not Voting (20): Allen Wren, Amoeba102, Asiina, Chic Trombone, Dugong, Ernie., EXAKT Science, fiery_valkyrie, HiipFire, KhyrosFinalCut, Little Mac, merk, Murmur Twin, Pinterest Mom, Quidnose, Rarity, Tremendous Taste, uranus, Winged Orpheus, Your Personal Muse

With 20 alive, it's 11 votes to lynch. The current deadline is January 11th, 2015 at 7 p.m. EST -- that's in about 3 days, 19 hours.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Ugh this map sucks. I heard someone say that. Guess I have to make things more interesting.

##change_map

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

watch it be two scum teams

or a scum team and team fnatic

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Before anybody gets to talk some more with the newer, smaller group, the map is changed unceremoniously to de_aztec. "This piece of dung?" "..." "..." "ugh" Despite the map being atrocious, nobody seems to disconnect and the discussion moves on almost as though nothing happened. There are occasional murmurs that the map will be changed back to dust_2 after this lag stuff is sorted out but they are lost in a sea of exclamation points and emoticons.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

!!!!! :) :)

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
good day friends.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
So change map didn't do anything?

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

uranus posted:

good day friends.

Hi.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

honestly aztec is my favorite map ever

until very recently it was my #1 played csgo map

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
My streak of not getting killed n1 continues, I deserve a trophy

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Your Personal Muse posted:

My streak of not getting killed n1 continues, I deserve a trophy

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

##vote ypm

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I'm quite dissappointed that nothing seemed to happen.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I laughed.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Amoeba102 posted:

I'm quite dissappointed that nothing seemed to happen.

Yeah, whats the point of having a power role if you cant do cool stuff?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

More that I'm just not told what happens.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Ernie. posted:

##vote ypm

What is this i don't even know :psyduck:

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

^courage the cowardly dog and his weirdo owner

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...
Hey, y'all! I'm on my way to work and need some time to get a handle on how the game stands right now, but in light of this being my first game back from hiatus, let's start things off right.

##vote Ernie

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Hey Allen, have we ever played in a game together before? I can't remember.

I'm through page 10, and I don't like your push on Somber starting here.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Dugong posted:

^courage the cowardly dog and his weirdo owner

This explains nothing

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Ok, we're into the meat of the game, time to play my usual catch-up.

Rarity posted:

For starters she's totally right in that my case on KFC was easy, just like every other D1 case ever, and while I'm not sure I agree with her view on my meta (especially cause I like to switch up my meta) I think it's something she's thought about logically rather than something she's pulled out of her rear end. And then there's this post:

From the games I've played I think scum don't generally admit to their mistakes cause they're scared it's going to be seen as a backtrack to get out of trouble. Whereas so far you've gone out of your way to not only back my case but case the one person who spoke out against it. That alone is enough for me to suspect buddying but (and I'm admittedly not 100% on this) I'm fairly sure when you've been scum in our games together you've always been much less suspicious of me than normal.

Who is this post directed at, Somber? It's not f_v, you're talking about f_v to someone. Who is that someone? I've read it five times and my best guess is Somber.

If it's Somber, I don't like this post. Not because Somber was the lynch and flipped town, but because there's a clear instability to Rarity's thought processes that seems to be developing here. One of the things I noticed in general in SA mafia before I went on hiatus is that the idea of a scum tell and the actuality of a scum tell had changed, because everyone "knew" what a scum tell was. It was simple cases, flippancy in commentary, laziness. And because everyone knew it, the scum were going out of their way to avoid the obvious, the easy. The only people still making these scum tells were town who didn't give a poo poo (I'm looking at spacebutt here as an example).

Forcing themselves to make more complicated cases leads scum to have unusual jumps in thought process. Rarity demonstrates that contortion in logic here. Her case on KFC was easy, like all D1 cases. But she couldn't make the easy case twice, everyone knows that's a scum tell. So she defends f_v's case on her and turns to start casing Somber, using meta and the ever popular "buddying" accusation. She goes from a simple case to a complicated semi-accusation that has little evidence based on things that happened in this thread. Still catching up, but the more I read that post the more it feels scummy.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Allen Wren posted:

Yeah, I'm rereading. I had a really good "Somber, you're being a shitler" post drafted up, but I'm coming around on it.

So this is like four or five levels of arguing

Don't make this about me like you haven't seen me in other games and want to make me look like this isn't my standard poo poo in front of a bunch of people who've never got the patented wren-talking-poo poo method before.

I cut a bunch out of the middle of this post because it was a lot of Allen saying, "Nothing really concrete here." At the end of the day, this post was Somber defending himself with a lot of noise sandwiched into the middle.

Rarity posted:

To be fair, I said all the way through DS9 I was playing poo poo :P

From reading FV's initial comment on me it seems like she's saying it's making content just for the sake of making content rather than for legitimate scum hunting, which is a reasoning that I can understand (apart from the fact it's D1). And I never said it had anything to do with effort. If I thought that way then I'd think you were town as well!

I think you mean... gently caress, which one was it? Mean Girls is the one I modded and MMM wasn't in that one

Ok, yep, Somber. I don't like the way in which Rarity's calling f_v (her attacker) town and her defender (Somber) scum. Especially not D1. Like I said, it's the evolution of the scum tell. She doesn't want to make it a... oh poo poo, I forgot the phrase. The "u suck" response to being cased, whatever we call that. Not LAMIST, but that's all that wants to pop in my head. Any, she doesn't want to do the thing I can't remember, so she leapfrogs to do the exact opposite.

Christ, I was gone for too long.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Byers2142 posted:

Who is this post directed at, Somber? It's not f_v, you're talking about f_v to someone. Who is that someone? I've read it five times and my best guess is Somber.

Yes it was Somber. Why does who I'm casing change whether you like it?

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Rarity posted:

Yes it was Somber. Why does who I'm casing change whether you like it?

Because it's a leapfrog to avoid... gently caress, someone remind me what that phrase is. You know, the "you cased me, well I'll case you!" phrase.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Byers2142 posted:

Because it's a leapfrog to avoid... gently caress, someone remind me what that phrase is. You know, the "you cased me, well I'll case you!" phrase.

a) you mean OMGUS and b) you're wrong. When I read Somber's first posts backing me up I initially felt really glad to have someone on my side, which I haven't felt often in mafia and has mostly resulted in that person being scum. Besides, it's not like I was the only person who thought Somber was scum so my suspicions must have had some valid cause.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Why is my me too vote bad? If I were to attempt to create "original content", it would literally be the same thing Somber wrote. I didn't read Somber's case and get swayed by it, I read Somber's case and said "that's exactly what I'm thinking".

I like this response from YPM. The "me too" as a scum tell is another crutch we've developed and that scum now actively avoid. i know I overused that argument in my casing before my hiatus, as did many others, and it seemed to lead to a lot of town lynches.

Quidnose posted:

Am I misreading that this is FV basically calling out Rarity for the same reasons she called out KFC? If that's the case, why did you not comment on FV being hypocritical at all? That seems like an odd thing to casually bring up but then not use as part of your case.

...which isn't really a case, FV's post there says absolutely nothing except "well Rarity you're kinda being lovely." Super noncommittal (which, again, is odd because that's why FV is calling out Rarity).

Another good point. There are good reasons for Rarity to at least question f_v on the comments she made. Rarity never did, she just pivoted to attack Somber. Looking at Quid thus far, he had suspicions about Rarity, much like I do reading through the same set of posts.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Rarity posted:

a) you mean OMGUS and b) you're wrong. When I read Somber's first posts backing me up I initially felt really glad to have someone on my side, which I haven't felt often in mafia and has mostly resulted in that person being scum. Besides, it's not like I was the only person who thought Somber was scum so my suspicions must have had some valid cause.

a) Thank you! God, I'm getting old.

b) Right, you even said something similar in what you posted, that from a meta read Somber is less suspicious of you when he's scum (but you weren't 100%). I'm not arguing that your case was different than what you posted, but that the thought process that lead to it makes sense from a scum perspective, not town. Your case is unassailable because you built it on meta reads from other games, not what happened here in this game, which is always a plus for scum. And your specific reasons given to suspect Somber (at least thus far I'm only to page 13) are not shared by others, they had their own reasons. So even if you accept the "everyone else thought so, too" defense, it doesn't apply.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Quidnose posted:

I also really dislike this, it shows a real lack of any thought. Why would you do anything in mafia by the books without thinking about it. This doesn't even say "it's ok to go down this line of thinking to see where it goes," Somber seems to be advocating a knee-jerk lynch?

For instance, Rarity, Quid also had suspicions of Somber, here for example. this isn't meta and it isn't that he defended you by attacking f_v's post. Same person suspected, but different reasons.

As an aside, it's weird that merk hasn't been more active yet in what I've read. Lots of chess, not really anything about the game.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

So these first three posts are a chain, and the next two posts are a different chain. The order of the two chains is accurate, with one completing before two began; raise your hand if you see why f_v in these exchanges specifically is raising warning flags for me.

Chain One:

Amoeba, who are the scum?

Amoeba102 posted:

gently caress if I know.

Amoeba I'm going to need more than that. Pretend you are a terrorist and I'm a counter terrorist and I have a gun up to your head and you know from your terrorist friends that I'm edgy and I'd do it and pretend I said "who are the scum" and you knew if you didn't say someone I would murder you.

Pretending that, who are the scum?

fiery_valkyrie posted:

And then you feel the kiss of cold metal on the back of your skull as a counter-counter terrorist sneaks up behind you, gun to your head.

Pretending that, how about providing an opinion of your own on who you think is scummy and why. All we have from you at the moment is a "me too" vote.

Chain Two:

Quidnose posted:

I find it odd you're not making an alignment call on him at all.

fiery_valkyrie posted:

I haven't made an alignment call on anyone. I'm not sure yet.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

So when you asked me to make a call and then didn't follow up it was because you are...

SCUM!?

Oh good, YPM saw it too.

fiery_valkyrie posted:

No, it was because you were asking amoeba to do so when you hadn't yourself.

Hence why I echoed your "gun to the head" narrative.

While f_v may have put the gun to YPM's head, the hypocrisy went completely over hers.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Byers2142 posted:

a) Thank you! God, I'm getting old.

b) Right, you even said something similar in what you posted, that from a meta read Somber is less suspicious of you when he's scum (but you weren't 100%). I'm not arguing that your case was different than what you posted, but that the thought process that lead to it makes sense from a scum perspective, not town. Your case is unassailable because you built it on meta reads from other games, not what happened here in this game, which is always a plus for scum. And your specific reasons given to suspect Somber (at least thus far I'm only to page 13) are not shared by others, they had their own reasons. So even if you accept the "everyone else thought so, too" defense, it doesn't apply.

Yeah I see what you're saying about my case but that's why I suspected him. If you think that's scummy then I can't really do anything about that, I'm not gonna sit here and try to invent more justifications just to make myself look better.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

HiipFire posted:

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :iceburn:

are you gonna take that poo poo?

Who the gently caress is this? Why are all his posts hot air bullshit? Can someone shoot this guy?

Also, hi, we've never played together, nice to meet you. Hope you enjoy SA Mafia, it's really a lot of fun!

Ok, someone shoot this joker.

So you think my opinions are based on literally nothing, but don't want to case me or pursue me. I'm ok with murdering FV

YPM's really coming across as town, and f_v's really looking worse with each page now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Rarity posted:

Yeah I see what you're saying about my case but that's why I suspected him. If you think that's scummy then I can't really do anything about that, I'm not gonna sit here and try to invent more justifications just to make myself look better.

Fair enough. Did I miss any really good games while I was gone I should read?

• Locked thread