Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde

WhiteHowler posted:

That sounded like a challenge!

Wait, what? How? :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

karl fungus posted:

Wait, what? How? :stare:
Everything I used is in the image. It's a single stage vehicle. The only mods I have installed are Kerbal Engineer and MechJeb (which I didn't use for this one).

Rockomax monopropellant tank, two of the oblong monopropellant tanks, eight of those little monopropellant radial engines, an OCTO-2, a small reaction wheel, and a buttload of solar panels. You can just barely make it into orbit.

Edit: I just realized that this is technically my first SSTO rocket. Too bad it's completely pointless and runs out of power within milliseconds of passing into Kerbin's shadow.

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jan 7, 2015

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Fff, I broke my installation. I installed something and now I can't click the VAB or SPH. I can click the other buildings, but then I can't return to the KSC view. The exit buttons, they do nothing!

fake edit: The Exit to Main Menu button in the menu doesn't work either.

real edit: Seems I only broke my save, if I start a new game everything works.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jan 7, 2015

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

karl fungus posted:

I'm kind of sad that you can't make an monopropellant rocket that can reach orbit. :(

Speak for yourself!

I don't know the numbers but those orange corrugated tanks and those monopropellant engines seem to have a crazy TWR. Have you ever tried using them as a launch stage? It really feels like kind of a cheat.

The Aperture logo appeared for me by the way. Did it work for others?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

In an effort to force myself away from Dragon Age, I've started playing far too much KSP again, and I'm ridiculously happy about completing my first orbital rendezvous more than a year after I had my last KSP binge and actually learned how to do a rendezvous (I've had way too much fun being way too unambitious in the past). Attached the orange tank to my style-over-substance spacecraft. I have no idea if this thing can do antything worthwhile, but it's fun.

Also, I remember I had a lot of fun with Interstellar the last time around. Is there anything like that out there now or is everything outdated?

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 8, 2015

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

General_Failure posted:

Speak for yourself!

I don't know the numbers but those orange corrugated tanks and those monopropellant engines seem to have a crazy TWR. Have you ever tried using them as a launch stage? It really feels like kind of a cheat.

The Aperture logo appeared for me by the way. Did it work for others?

Actually, the mono engines have an infinite TWR--they're massless! So stick on a bunch of both until your rocket has positive TWR and 4500+ dv and you're gold.

Radial batteries are also massless, so the electric power issue above can be mitigated.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

OAquinas posted:

Actually, the mono engines have an infinite TWR--they're massless! So stick on a bunch of both until your rocket has positive TWR and 4500+ dv and you're gold.

Radial batteries are also massless, so the electric power issue above can be mitigated.

It would be really nice if physics-less parts just got "welded" to their parent part and then adjusted the parent's total mass (and CoM, ideally!). This would actually make it easier to do some things, like using batteries to lower the CoM of your rovers so they don't flip quite so easily.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Ciaphas posted:

I just realized the rocket I made last night is probably the most complicated thing I've made yet in KSP, though that's not saying much. It DID finally present to me a use for the bi/tri/quad couplers on 2.5m+ rockets though. From the pod down, just two orange tanks and a mainsail. Radial parachutes on the pod, upside-down quad coupler on top, and on each port a decoupler, ion engine, small SAS module, xenon gas, two gigantor panels, two communotron 88-88s (the dish), a probe core and a communotron-32 (omni) on top.

My hope was to get my whole RemoteTech network going in a single launch, dropping all the satellites off at geosynchronous altitude. Problem is I'm not actually sure how to go about dropping them off in such a way that I can control them long enough to get them out of the way/circularize their orbit. (My original plan was to set my launcher in a 2.8Mm AP, 75km PE orbit and just drop off satellites at appropriate APs; the problem I had last night with that plan is that for the first satellite KSC has swung round out of range by the time I'm ready to let go of the first satellite, so I can't control it anymore.)

KSP is hard :saddowns:

Shoot for geosync altitude first, you should be able to circularize JUST before you lose LoS, Make sure you get your communitron32 up and solar panels out before you lose coms. I think if I remember correctly you'll make one complete orbit and then on your second orbit you'll want to make a burn to a resonant orbit that is 1-1/n, n being the number of sats you want in your base network (ex. 5 sat network resonant orbit 4/5). Once that's done you can. Release satellites at your apoapsis and you should be golden. I may suggest to make the initial launch a manned mission, with a command pod right below the launch bus. Bicouplers are great for this, you can turn them upsidedown and connect two parallel ones with one a perpendicular one. If you're building it from the capsule up, capsule, decoupler, upside down bicoupler (1 down 2 up) then on each node, place another bicoupler perpendicular in orientation. Stack a stack seperator on each of the 4 nodes and build your satellite on top of that. Alt click to clone once you complete building the first one.

One hard lesson I learned was trying to get them perfectly circularized, get them to geo altitude, circularize and THEN adjust your orbital period to 6h00m.00s or as close as you can. Press capslock to enable fine control, point prograde/retrograde to increase/decrease respectively. RCS may be helpful to get this as close to 6hrs as you can.

Good luck!

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
http://youtu.be/rjpf8Gy7dxI

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
Can any of you show me an interplanetary manned vessel you've made with stock parts?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

karl fungus posted:

Can any of you show me an interplanetary manned vessel you've made with stock parts?

Are you looking for a mothership, Tylo lander, EVE return vehicle, etc? Straightforward to do stock; modded parts just give you more to do/make it easier.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
I'd like to go to Duna and bring my kerbs back alive. So far all I can do is throw rovers at it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

SeaborneClink posted:

Shoot for geosync altitude first, you should be able to circularize JUST before you lose LoS, Make sure you get your communitron32 up and solar panels out before you lose coms. I think if I remember correctly you'll make one complete orbit and then on your second orbit you'll want to make a burn to a resonant orbit that is 1-1/n, n being the number of sats you want in your base network (ex. 5 sat network resonant orbit 4/5). Once that's done you can. Release satellites at your apoapsis and you should be golden. I may suggest to make the initial launch a manned mission, with a command pod right below the launch bus. Bicouplers are great for this, you can turn them upsidedown and connect two parallel ones with one a perpendicular one. If you're building it from the capsule up, capsule, decoupler, upside down bicoupler (1 down 2 up) then on each node, place another bicoupler perpendicular in orientation. Stack a stack seperator on each of the 4 nodes and build your satellite on top of that. Alt click to clone once you complete building the first one.

One hard lesson I learned was trying to get them perfectly circularized, get them to geo altitude, circularize and THEN adjust your orbital period to 6h00m.00s or as close as you can. Press capslock to enable fine control, point prograde/retrograde to increase/decrease respectively. RCS may be helpful to get this as close to 6hrs as you can.

Good luck!

My current craft I described above is manned, yeah--a 3-man command pod in the center with the launcher (and fairing base ring) below and quad coupler with satellites on top. So I can get off four satellites in one launch--in theory.

So if I have four satellites, I'd rant a 3/4 resonance--so since Kerbin is a 6h rotation, I'd want an orbital period of 4h30m for all four satellites (separated by 90 degrees of orbit each, natch)? What would this accomplish that going straight to geosynchronous altitude wouldn't?

Incidentally, after launching the first satellite, what would I do to get in position for the second? Burn retrograde, wait till I'm ~90 ahead, circularize?

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 8, 2015

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

karl fungus posted:

I'd like to go to Duna and bring my kerbs back alive. So far all I can do is throw rovers at it.

Easiest way is to make a nuclear stage to get there and back (basically a bigass tank(s) with some engines and a docking port), and dock a lander to it. You can either go full Apollo and decouple a return ship back to reduce your mass, or just bring enough fuel to make it back to the transfer tug. Duna is a LOT easier to take off from than Kerbin--you only need ~1500 dv, and the thin atmosphere means you can make your turn more or less immediately. Parachutes will help you land, but figure you'll need about 500-850 dv to land safely.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 8, 2015

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Mister Bates posted:

Does anyone have any advice on how to get sounding rockets to point any direction other than straight up without nosing into the ground immediately? I've been using the launch sticks, but the problem is that they don't have any kind of decoupler built in, so they remain on the rocket until they get sheared off - which is long enough for the rocket to go from 'pointed at the sky' to 'pointed at the ground' and explode.

I use a box strut at the bottom and sit it on a fuel tank for mass (you recover them anyway so no loss):

Now what would really be nice (hint hint Roverdude) is a heavy base with a bearing and a swivel on the bearing that accepts the small motor decoupler thing. So you could adjust the direction and angle easier.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Alaan posted:

do you have patched conics yet? If not it may show you as in Mun orbit but you are actually going to escape back into Kerbin SOI if your inner ap/pe is too high.

Yeah, I have them, plus I was in a 60 km x 60 km orbit. Oh well. :(

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Mukaikubo posted:

Yeah, I have them, plus I was in a 60 km x 60 km orbit. Oh well. :(

Could be some contract minutiae you are overlooking? If not, you can Alt+F12 to get the debug/cheat menu open and click to complete that contract.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

Could be some contract minutiae you are overlooking? If not, you can Alt+F12 to get the debug/cheat menu open and click to complete that contract.

It could be? It's just the plain "Explore The Mun" contract, which pre-mods I was able to do quite fine by putting a satellite with a science instrument on board into pretty much any munar orbit, transmitting any science info back, bringing anything with a science instrument onto the Mun in one piece and again transmitting. Now I can't do any of that. Sheesh. Oh well, I should be building my new computer this weekend, I'll reinstall with mods and see if it's just a really bizarre one-off issue.

RoverDude
Aug 25, 2014

Cat Herder

Ratzap posted:

I use a box strut at the bottom and sit it on a fuel tank for mass (you recover them anyway so no loss):

Now what would really be nice (hint hint Roverdude) is a heavy base with a bearing and a swivel on the bearing that accepts the small motor decoupler thing. So you could adjust the direction and angle easier.

Sure, no promises on timeline, but I can see the case for a nice directional launcher

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Ratzap posted:

Don't you only get money back for recoveries that have a pod or probe attached?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Splode posted:

Don't you only get money back for recoveries that have a pod or probe attached?

You only get the recovery breakdown screen for those, but any debris recovered on Kerbin is recycled into funds using the same distance formula. So anything on the pad is good for 100%

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.

RoverDude posted:

Sure, no promises on timeline, but I can see the case for a nice directional launcher

Great. Now you two have me going down the rabbit hole of looking through all the sounding rocket launchers found via Google Images and wishing I had them in KSP. :saddowns:

SimplyCosmic fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jan 8, 2015

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Woohoo! Soo happy! The new (to me) router arrived a week early and I have proper internets again! Unfortunately trying to do a refresh on CKAN I'm getting the error:
"Failed to connect to repository. Exception: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation."

Also when I got CKAN I discovered that FireSpitter still prevents KSP from loading to completion. Let me clarify I don't mean core. The .dll works fine. It hasn't worked right for me for a very long time. Linux x64.

Psawhn
Jan 15, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

My current craft I described above is manned, yeah--a 3-man command pod in the center with the launcher (and fairing base ring) below and quad coupler with satellites on top. So I can get off four satellites in one launch--in theory.

So if I have four satellites, I'd rant a 3/4 resonance--so since Kerbin is a 6h rotation, I'd want an orbital period of 4h30m for all four satellites (separated by 90 degrees of orbit each, natch)? What would this accomplish that going straight to geosynchronous altitude wouldn't?

Incidentally, after launching the first satellite, what would I do to get in position for the second? Burn retrograde, wait till I'm ~90 ahead, circularize?

Actually, you do set your apoapsis straight for geosynchronous altitude, but set your periapsis such that your orbital period is 4h45m. This is your temporary phasing orbit. Once you're in that elliptical orbit, then every time you hit apoapsis you decouple a satellite and circularize it to a 6:00:00 synchronous orbit, then switch back to your carrier and wait for the next apoapsis.

Keep in mind this only works for circular geosynchronous orbits. If you're setting up multiple tundra/molniya orbits you kinda think of it from the opposite end. For those, you start with your carrier in a circular orbit at low altitude (the altitude you want your periapsis at). Sending up the first satellite is easy -- wait until you're actually over KSC, then burn to extend your apoapsis until your orbital period is 6h. For the next satellites, you have to wait until you're both 90 degrees (for 4 sats) away from the previous tundra satellite's periapsis and you're directly over KSC, then you burn your comms sat until its orbital period is 6:00:00. You might have to end up waiting multiple orbits or even multiple days for both those conditions to apply.

The advantage of the second type of orbit is that if you don't have the tech unlocked for comms to reach geostationary orbit you can use 3-hour tundra orbits instead, and they work just as well for communications. However, if you're using 3-hour tundra orbits you have to do your burn when KSC is 90 degrees away from you.(Edit: not 180 degrees like before the edit).

Me, my first comms satellite was also my first unmanned vessel, and also filled a geostationary contract. I just used the Flight Computer to queue up the circularization and Geostationary Transfer Orbit burns :smuggo:. By the end of it I had a geostationary comms satellite over KSC.

Psawhn fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 8, 2015

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

There's a really great post up on MetaFilter about recreation of famous space missions in KSP. Lots of detail and actual space photos, too. I don't think I realized that the reason Voyager 1 was leaving the solar system at a weird angle was a moon encounter!

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Krittick posted:

That makes sense. For some reason I was thinking only a single flex-o-tube was needed for both ends of the connection (ie. As if the MKS part's node acted as a destination for the KAS link).

Thanks!

You're welcome! I had a similar problem; the Inflatable Logistics Module has a nipple that looks exactly like it would work like that but turns out nope that function is not inbuilt.

Once you get past the shoddy reference documentation, the requirements that aren't, and the weird state of being simultaneously largely palette-swapped and not really coherent with itself MKS is a pretty good mod. Roverdude said the documentation is getting a major rewrite so it just gets better as time goes on, and I for one am excited about the future.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
So I am trying to make my station building super tug a bit more compact so its not swaying like a snake most of the time and i wanted to attach my 4 contains like so, but how can i make the game connect all 4 points? just connecting only does 1 out of the 4 and just makes the other 3 sway all over the place

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Michymech posted:

So I am trying to make my station building super tug a bit more compact so its not swaying like a snake most of the time and i wanted to attach my 4 contains like so, but how can i make the game connect all 4 points? just connecting only does 1 out of the 4 and just makes the other 3 sway all over the place

The game doesn't really allow that. The ship is logically structured like a tree, and stuff like that would create a loop. The physics engine can't directly handle it. You can get around it by putting docking ports on both sides of the four nodes there.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Alternatively, More Struts!

My brother showed me his latest 1300 part monstrosity. It's to get to the Mun and drop off a small rover, then return. It used 5 of the large kerbodyne tanks and 9 "wings" of 6 small SRBs daisy chained by decouplers. When staging, it's booster rain.

On the upside, he's learning and getting away from dropping RCS nozzles and tanks all over the ship like a bad skin disease. Still way way overdone, but much closer in that regard. I took the craft file, sliced off the wings, weeded out a lot of the extra struts, and removed extraneous RCS. Also reworked his rover so it could actually drive "normal" (seats were facing the sky). Left the monstrously ridiculous center stages as a lesson: the rocket performs as well or better with 1/5th the parts and far, far fewer boosters. He's starting to twig onto the Rocket Equation and its bastardry, but it's slow going. I didn't have the heart to show him my comparatively tiny Mun rockets using a few 400s and 800s; that'll come later.

Steam streaming make showing him better methods and models a tremendously easier affair than trying to capture the video and upload to YT.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jan 8, 2015

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

General_Failure posted:

Woohoo! Soo happy! The new (to me) router arrived a week early and I have proper internets again! Unfortunately trying to do a refresh on CKAN I'm getting the error:
"Failed to connect to repository. Exception: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation."

Also when I got CKAN I discovered that FireSpitter still prevents KSP from loading to completion. Let me clarify I don't mean core. The .dll works fine. It hasn't worked right for me for a very long time. Linux x64.

Update to the latest ckan, that fixed it for me

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

WhiteHowler posted:

That sounded like a challenge!

Here’s mine:

Probodobodyne QBE is offset into the tank.

There are no reaction wheels, so it requires some finesse to fly, but RCS thrusters are massless and reaction wheels are not. Removing the docking port (and using a Klaw on another ship to refuel) saves 250 m∕s, or just enough margin to swap it for a small inline reaction wheel.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
I am seriously impressed and stand corrected. :jebstare:

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Is anyone else having troubles with bugs in Remote tech for 0.90?

I'm having a bitch of a problem where it'll fire up for manoeuvre nodes, but it may either start too early, or too late, or keep burning too long or not burn long enough. This is by a very wide margin by the way.
Also I may be wrong but it seems as though it kills thrust during programmed manoeuvres when the signal is dropped.

I'll try updating Can to get rid of that error too next time I'm at the computer.

While it's not an SSTO RCS ship, I slapped a service module to fix the botched Minmus miner on to my crude but effective floppy dong lifter. The service module has a couple of big RCS tanks on it and 24 RCS engines for landing. I ended up using them along with the nuclear stage for getting to Minmus faster because of the malfunctioning RemoteTech computer. The radial tanks on the nuclear stage were more than enough to get it to Minmus. Also more than enough to distort the ship during acceleration. The two big tanks are as yet untouched. Those RS engines can really haul.

Bonus goof. I put separatrons on so I could automagically deorbit the launch stage... except I put them on the nuclear stage. Hell of a surprise when I activated them all.

It's only the last couple of days that I've really ever bothered with transferring resources around a ship. I'm not sure but maybe I'm getting worse at rockets.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

If there's something I've learned from reading this thread, it's comments like "I can't believe it's impossible to do [thing]" will almost always be proved wrong

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

AceClown posted:

If there's something I've learned from reading this thread, it's comments like "I can't believe it's impossible to do [thing]" will almost always be proved wrong

KSP promotes and nurtures innovation, and insanity.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Been playing with Contracts and Upgradable Buildings for the first time. R&D seems excessively expensive to upgrade.

I've found Satellite contracts to be particularly difficult without maneuver nodes. I managed it only because I've had so much practice with maneuver nodes beforehand and using that knowledge to learn how burning in any particular direction will change my orbits. I'm a bit bothered that the game doesn't announce Maneuver nodes when you finally upgrade to get them. Seems like something important for players playing for the first time to be introduced to.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jan 8, 2015

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Met posted:

Been playing with Contracts and Upgradable Buildings for the first time. R&D seems excessively expensive to upgrade.

I've found Satellite contracts to be particularly difficult without maneuver nodes. I managed it only because I've had so much practice with maneuver nodes beforehand and using that knowledge to learn how burning in any particular direction will change my orbits. I'm a bit bothered that the game doesn't announce Maneuver nodes when you finally upgrade to get them. Seems like something important for players playing for the first time to be introduced to.

I've come to like how maneuver nodes need to be unlocked. I'd already been playing long enough that I usually didn't even use maneuver nodes for anything more as a marker for my alarm clock, or a reminder in which direction I needed to burn. Most things I do manually, including docking and most interplanetary insertions.

But being forced to work without it still taught me more and made me more comfortable. The maneuver node interface is a bit of a hassle to use; I'm constantly clicking on the wrong poo poo, and having to zoom back or re-do the whole thing. But who needs it!

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Could anyone either explain simply or post a link for a first timer using remotetech? I'm having trouble even though I followed old advice to "use omnidirectional antennas". I put a sat in a suborbital path 1.2Kms up and was out of communication with the space center even when it was facing me. Even making a little land craft with an omni and pointing it's dish at "active vessel" didn't work.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
If you just want something that works while you get started, throw up some small sats with omni antennae but keep them low like 250km. Then when you want to launch something with a dish that's going higher, wait till one of your swarm is above the horizon to launch. When setting up it's not unusual to have to use the RT2 'execute at time' button: this lets you set a maneuver node then tell RT to execute it. It will do so (quite badly) when your satellite is out of comms.
Good luck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Met posted:

It does announce it though--it's intuitively called "Flight Planning" in the mission building and unlocks when you upgrade both it and the tracking center. What could be more clear? :v:

I like the upgrade process, and the UI for the buildings is getting there. The labeling and upgrade tree information does indeed suck at the moment though.