Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Yeah, predicted to drop to 10 degrees plus 35mph winds tonight in my part of VA (and I broke the drat zipper on my drat coat today :shepicide:). Since usually it's in the 40s/50s here when New England is getting snow, I assume it's probably cold enough to gel gasoline up there tonight. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

tomapot posted:

Landed on the coldest week of the year so far in the North East (think I remember you being in New England). Struggling to get out of single digits / teens this week.

compared to the polar vortex of last year it's downright balmy in New England right now

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Went to check on it tonight, cautiously optimistic. It shrank away from the form slightly and the surface was kinda lovely but I am pretty sure that was the section I mixed a bit wetter than I should have and also overworked because I am a concrete newbie.

Heater was still on, foam shelter still there, temps inside even after opening it felt like around 50 degrees. Turned it up a bit and closed everything back up.

I am hoping it will go above freezing Sunday or something so I can pull the forms and check on it for real.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kastein posted:

Went to check on it tonight, cautiously optimistic. It shrank away from the form slightly and the surface was kinda lovely but I am pretty sure that was the section I mixed a bit wetter than I should have and also overworked because I am a concrete newbie.

Heater was still on, foam shelter still there, temps inside even after opening it felt like around 50 degrees. Turned it up a bit and closed everything back up.

I am hoping it will go above freezing Sunday or something so I can pull the forms and check on it for real.

If it hasn't BLEVE'd after tonight I'm sure your home free on this pour.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

For the laymen among us, what does BLEVE mean? Google has nothing.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?
Boiling liquid expanding vapor explosion?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Big
Loud
Explosion,
Very
Exciting

Blast
Levelling
Everything
Very
Effectively

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Motronic posted:

Well I used an electric heater not a propane one, so no chance of that :v:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Some of the Sheep posted:

Boiling liquid expanding vapor explosion?

That's the one.

Also what SSS said.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

:slick:

GUESS WHO HAS TWO THUMBS AND SUCCESSFULLY CURED CONCRETE IN loving JANUARY

This guy!

The black strips are where I sealed the wooden form to the edge of the fieldstone foundation using strips cut from pipe insulation. I will do detail work with mortar in the spring to cover the old fieldstone here.

Not bad surface finish for a first timer with a 5 gallon pail, drywall mud mixing paddle, and bricklayers trowel and zero concrete experience. A few voids, and I forgot form release agent, oh well. I will fill the voids in the spring.

The foundation will continue to this side but that part is not weight bearing and goes under the front door so I will gently caress with it in the spring. Weight bearing sections take priority here.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Nice fuckin job man.

My grandpa was a cement finisher for fifty years in Calgary, you want me to show him these pictures for an opinion?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Well they were taken with a 3 year old cellphone with a dirty lens after dark with a flashlight and the built in flash for illumination, so all he'll really be able to tell is whether that's an abominable snowman or the loch ness monster shagging a UFO in the corner :v:

If you feel like it, but hopefully I'll have better pics sometime soon.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Serious kudos for getting that done in the winter. With all this stuff you have been doing you are surely honing your masonry skills quite nicely.

One day at a time; small improvements add up to big changes!

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Yeah his eyes are bad enough. I'll wait until you repost better ones then.

Gramps has some cool stories, I should post some of them sometime.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

So how many feet of snow do you have in your living room right now?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Snow? There's no room for snow in there. It's already that deep in Jeep parts.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

There are only a couple axles in the living room, sheesh, give me some credit here.

Maybe a couple inches of snow in one corner of the living room where I was a dumbass and forgot to put a new piece of sheathing board over a 2 inch wide gap. The rest is snow free.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Alright, it's about time to dust this thread off. Finally got around to repointing the remainder of the parents foundation wall and the snow is almost gone at my place so I can start making progress again.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
I'm ashamed at how excited I am that this thread is getting updated again. Deeply ashamed.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
I'm not..

I wouldnt be stunned if Kastein declared himself a lumberjack batman and fought crime in his spare time in his bat-jeep.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

The one foundation wall I thought was solid collapsed this morning as I was leaving for work, so it looks like I have my work cut out for me this weekend. God drat it.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

.... April fools?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
:confuoot:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

drat, didn't fool anyone with that one I guess.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

You fooled me, because it seemed totally believable. But also completely par for the course; I've always assumed you're more or less replacing your entire house, but doing it in small enough increments that the "house" is never actually gone.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

kastein posted:

You got me, I figured it was just par for the course really :v:

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
I believed it and thought, "gently caress now he's gonna have an awesome update and make my thread look even worse'

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Leperflesh posted:

You fooled me, because it seemed totally believable. But also completely par for the course; I've always assumed you're more or less replacing your entire house, but doing it in small enough increments that the "house" is never actually gone.

House of Theseus kasteinseus.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

kastein posted:

Less of a prank and more of a coin flip. :v:

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I imagined he was going to work in the morning, stepped outside of his house mostly asleep still, got into his car then glanced back at his house in the rearview.

"poo poo."

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Tore a bunch of the porch ceiling down today since it was annoying me and I felt like it. Also prepped to install the next sill plate segment, then realized I had no way to cut away the first layer of rotten subflooring under it without taking the living room floor up over it, so I went and got a dremel multimax. Been looking for a reason to buy one for a while and it is about the only tool that will fit in the space I have to work with, so it was time.

Once that is all cut out of the way I can get the new subflooring in, then the new sill plate. Then I just have to jack up the roof (yep...rot extends from foundation to rafters on that one!) and rebuild the entire wall under it.

Then I just need to replace a couple full length balloon frame studs, it is not safe to sister these ones at all, and then I can finish the master bedroom floor. About drat time.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

kastein posted:

Tore a bunch of the porch ceiling down today since it was annoying me and I felt like it. Also prepped to install the next sill plate segment, then realized I had no way to cut away the first layer of rotten subflooring under it without taking the living room floor up over it, so I went and got a dremel multimax. Been looking for a reason to buy one for a while and it is about the only tool that will fit in the space I have to work with, so it was time.

Once that is all cut out of the way I can get the new subflooring in, then the new sill plate. Then I just have to jack up the roof (yep...rot extends from foundation to rafters on that one!) and rebuild the entire wall under it.

Then I just need to replace a couple full length balloon frame studs, it is not safe to sister these ones at all, and then I can finish the master bedroom floor. About drat time.

More pictures! I'm currently fretting over replacing a chunk of basement ceiling that I wrecked with a plumbing fuckup and this thread simultaneously makes me feel both inspired and immensely incompetent.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I'm back, bitches :getin:

Woke up this morning and it was raining, which means inside work only. So I replaced a few studs that I hadn't gotten to previously, since the next step is to weld up the remainder of the master bedroom joist support ledger brackets so I can start putting the subflooring down up there. These studs were rotted off at the bottom and had been for years so they weren't really affecting the house but once the ledger brackets go in they are inaccessible so I needed to do them first.

First, a blatant pimping of my most recent toy, the dremel multimax mm45:

I needed to cut a piece of rotten top plate out (2x4) without disturbing the next 2x4 up, or cutting into the sheathing. Fortunately I had bought this tool a while ago and it ROCKS. Wish I bought it 5 years ago. Cut into that nasty inside corner without damaging either neighboring piece of wood, in something like 30 seconds, one handed, leaning out over the abyss from the edge of the floor upstairs.

Well worth whatever the hell I paid for it, IIRC like 150. I bought it a week ago to do some subfloor cutting without disturbing the living room flooring in the corner where I am doing sill plate work right now, but haven't gotten to that yet, so this was the first project it saw.

Then replaced the rotten top plate and the two studs under it:

Reminder to future self: hey dumbass, nail all that sheathing to the new studs before putting the new siding on!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Between this thread, and pulling about 400 feet (so far) of ethernet cable in my house, I've decided the first thing I'm doing is installing conduit in my next house. gently caress crawling around in an attic just to pull CAT5E/CAT6.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

some texas redneck posted:

Between this thread, and pulling about 400 feet (so far) of ethernet cable in my house, I've decided the first thing I'm doing is installing conduit in my next house. gently caress crawling around in an attic just to pull CAT5E/CAT6.

No poo poo. I wired the whole house with cat6, and the basement with speaker wire, but if anyone took pictures of it, it'd undoubtedly end up in this thread. What a loving disaster.

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum

kastein posted:

First, a blatant pimping of my most recent toy, the dremel multimax mm45
I bought the crap HF version figuring if I use it enough to burn it up I'll spring for the Fein version, so far it has saved me a lot of headaches and the only downside I've found is the cost of blades and how quick I ruin them(old houses have nails hidden in the weirdest places).

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Good to know the HF one is decent too, thanks. I'll have to remember that if my friends want to get one of these.

shortspecialbus posted:

No poo poo. I wired the whole house with cat6, and the basement with speaker wire, but if anyone took pictures of it, it'd undoubtedly end up in this thread. What a loving disaster.

Haha, only if I end up as the owner :v: This house is basically the construction nightmares thread incarnate, but it's all mine.

crocodile
Jun 19, 2004

Bibendum posted:

I bought the crap HF version figuring if I use it enough to burn it up I'll spring for the Fein version, so far it has saved me a lot of headaches and the only downside I've found is the cost of blades and how quick I ruin them(old houses have nails hidden in the weirdest places).

you can find some decent deals on blades for these things on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_nkw=multi+tool+blade&_frs=1 i used to use them a lot at work (lots of cutting electrical boxes into lathe and plaster....) and my boss found out real quick how expensive it was so he started buying them in bulk on ebay.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

shortspecialbus posted:

Part of me wishes I'd gone for cat6, but that would have more than doubled my costs (likely tripled, since I went ultra cheap and used copper clad aluminum CAT5E cable). And at the moment, gigabit is plenty for what I'm doing (5 PCs in the house and a couple of STBs like Rokus, mostly sharing/streaming movies, with 75/75 internet). If I ever do decide to upgrade, the holes I've drilled in studs/etc will be large enough to just tape new wire to the old and haul it through, and everything terminates at a cheap punchdown panel in the closet. Add another Monoprice order for CAT6 jacks and a patch panel, and done.

NOT impressed with the punchdown block I got - even using a 110 punchdown tool, I've had wires back out twice on one port, and one port has just completely poo poo itself no matter what I do. It looks like the same one Monoprice sells, just with a different name (Intellinet). May have different luck if I drop the $70 on a Klein punchdown tool instead of this :10bux: one, though I've had zero issues with the jacks I've punched with it.

I need to pull speaker wire and also add in-wall HDMI + a recessed outlet for my TV. Right now it's plugged in by an extension cord hanging down, and the speaker wires are run around a doorframe :cripes: (it's above my bedroom closet). I'm much happier keeping the AV receiver on my desk (that way I just have to run 1 HDMI cable + some speaker wires), but I'd still have to do the HDMI -> CAT5E -> HDMI conversion bit. And there's no way I could ever get speaker wires to the rear surround speakers into the walls - they're on an outside wall, and our roof has a pretty sharp pitch.

Also need to figure out how to get power and HDMI into the wall above the fireplace (thankfully gas only, not wood), as our next living room TV will be mounted above it. That part of the attic is a complete oval office and a half to get to.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Apr 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

kastein posted:

Haha, only if I end up as the owner :v: This house is basically the construction nightmares thread incarnate, but it's all mine.

Right. I forgot I wasn't posting in that one. Want me to come over and wire your house with cat6 so you have more disaster pictures? :v: