Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Just made NosmoKing's hot sauce. drat, that poo poo's punchy! Took a small taste, just a bit on the tip of my finger, and it burns so good. Thanks to Butch Cassidy for the projected yield; looks like there'll be plenty to go around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salsa McManus
Jul 12, 2007

Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu
Okay! Got myself a bottle from a local hot sauce place, Scotty O'Hotty. It's their limited edition Reaper de Muerte carolina reaper sauce with some moonshine thrown in for good measure, I guess. For being made with carolina reapers it isn't too hot, the burn on this stuff is pretty slow and gradually builds up, but it never gets to extremely high heat levels. Flavor is pretty good, it tastes very similar to their ghost pepper sauce but a little sweeter. I'm still pretty poo poo at judging pepper flavors so I can't comment too strongly on that. I've had most of their other flavors and these dude's seem to really focus more on taste over heat and LOVE to make their sauces with alcohol.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

New poster to the thread. Here, have this recipe, it is from one of the best small batch sauciers in Australia. It's hot as gently caress (forewarning), but full of flavour. I have a whole bunch of home grown choc brain strains and peach ghost scorpions I may use in this to get rid of them yet. And I came onto the recipe as they released it with their last ever batch of the sauce.

Incinerator (makes about 8 litres/2 gal in volume)
350g pure capsaicin
480g everclear
1750g 7 pot chillies, blended
2500g peaches, blended
2700g pineapple juice
200g ginger
75g brown sugar
1250g White sugar
200g Moruga scorpion powder

Mix capsaicin and everclear in a bottle, shake to mix and let dissolve. Distribute evenly between all bottles/jars

Mix everything else into a stock pot, cook until desired consistency acquired. Let cool, put into jars or whatever. Shake to mix with capsaicin.

Warning- If using pure capsaicin, handle with care. This poo poo rates at 15.2-16m Scoville and will not hesitate to gently caress you up.

I like hot but I'm not game to open the bottle I got. This is the last batch and its the hottest. This recipe fills about 130 x 2 ounce/60ml bottles, and the ratio is about 5ml capsaicin mix into each bottle to 55ml sauce.

Approx. Scoville rating is at 1.7 million SHU (if my calcs are right, this is fairly approximate but yeah. It'll mess you up. Not for the faint hearted, pregnant women or incontinent)

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
This is America thank you very much. Post American you commie. :911:

Edit: Seriously who lists liquids in grams?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Recipes by mass are far superior

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

EL BROMANCE posted:

I went to Peppers of Key West when I was down that way a few weeks ago. Are these hot sauce tasting bars common at all in the US?

Places that sell hotsauce usually have a sample bar. The chain Tijuanna Flats has a nice little hotsauce bar to compliment your meal, its about 10 or 15 different types. Another chain, Pollo Tropical has some sauces, but its more salsas and bbq sauce, and sometimes they only have a few choices. It's usually taco or tex mex places that will have any hot sauce variety. Oh, Jamaican too.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

McSpergin posted:

350g pure capsaicin

Finding this in Canada is proving to be a challenge. Anyone have a source?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

virinvictus posted:

Finding this in Canada is proving to be a challenge. Anyone have a source?
IMO don't use it, it tastes like rear end.

To elaborate, if you're going for just heat just blend the peppers that measure in > 1mil. Scorpions are sweet like a habanaro, ghost are a bit smokey, have yet to have a reaper, but capsicum extract tastes like mineral oil. If you'll ever be in a position where you don't burn the gently caress out of your mouth with a sauce that contains an extract, you will be disappointed.

I don't know about Canada, but a great example is the mad dog 357 hot ghostpepper or whatever compared to their regular ghostpepper sauce. The former has extract and is terrible, the latter isn't as hot but isn't terrible.

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 7, 2015

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Everybody here is just as dead as you.

Salsa McManus posted:

Okay! Got myself a bottle from a local hot sauce place, Scotty O'Hotty. It's their limited edition Reaper de Muerte carolina reaper sauce with some moonshine thrown in for good measure, I guess. For being made with carolina reapers it isn't too hot, the burn on this stuff is pretty slow and gradually builds up, but it never gets to extremely high heat levels. Flavor is pretty good, it tastes very similar to their ghost pepper sauce but a little sweeter. I'm still pretty poo poo at judging pepper flavors so I can't comment too strongly on that. I've had most of their other flavors and these dude's seem to really focus more on taste over heat and LOVE to make their sauces with alcohol.

Does it contain any extracts?

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
Just started a batch of peppers fermenting today, raw weight came out to just shy of 4lbs, thinking I might have gone a bit overboard. Oh well I can always give some way to family and friends. My last batch of fermented habanero sauce turned out really well.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
So pretty sure I screwed something up on my batch of peppers. I went to check them last night and noticed they had a white substance covering the entire top. I scooped out everything I could, but this morning it was back, not as bad, but it was still back. Guess I am just going to toss that batch when I get home this afternoon.

msghall1229
Jan 13, 2015

Just Left of Boom!
Love anything hot. Local Mexican food establishment makes there own brand. Very hot as its got some ghost peppers in it but drat it's good on anything and it cheap. Half gallon for 6 bucks.

Salsa McManus
Jul 12, 2007

Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu

El Marrow posted:

Does it contain any extracts?

Looked at the label and it doesn't appear like it does.

Odnet
Mar 17, 2005
Hollerate.
Can anyone recommend a hot sauce similar to Wing Stop's Atomic sauce? Not sure how to describe it, but it has a BBQ spice rub type of flavor with just the right amount of heat for me. Pretty sure it has habanero peppers, too.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

niss posted:

So pretty sure I screwed something up on my batch of peppers. I went to check them last night and noticed they had a white substance covering the entire top. I scooped out everything I could, but this morning it was back, not as bad, but it was still back. Guess I am just going to toss that batch when I get home this afternoon.

I just went to a kraut / fermenting class. They said that in fermenting, it's not abnormal for there to be a white substance on the top. It can be removed and the (cabbage, in this case) could be still eaten.

I'm not an expert, but I thought I'd chime in on it. They said if it was black, green, or like that of bread mold, throw it out.

Maybe making sure all the peppers are submerged?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Black or green means it might be aspergillus, which can be very, very bad. Or used to make sake and soy sauce. But better to err on the side of caution. White mold can be a bunch of things but is most likely a filamentous yeast, which is fine.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
So I ended up tossing the first batch of fermented peppers that I posted about, just couldn't get all the white stuff out. My next batch I did just like my first batch (habaneros) which turned out perfect, this batch (jalapenos) also got a bit of the white funk but I was able to get it all scooped out. I processed the sauce and it just tasted awful, so I ended up pitching that as well.

I decided to just drop the fermenting process for a bit and go back to how I've been doing it for a while, just roast the peppers off on my grill, throw them in the blender with some white vinegar, water, and some spices and call it a day. Very happy with the results of yesterday, which is good cause I was down to just a bit left of my fermented habanero sauce. I used about 30 of each pepper (Anaheim, Habanero, and Jalapeno) about 3/4 cup of distilled white vinegar, 1 cup of water, a touch of garlic powder, pepper, red pepper flake, and some paprika. Yielded 2 jars each more or less.

I did also just get a food dehydrator as a gift so I am going to have some fun with that drying out peppers.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Looks amazing.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

niss posted:

I did also just get a food dehydrator as a gift so I am going to have some fun with that drying out peppers.

I like traffic lights. I like traffic lights.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

Suspect Bucket posted:

I like traffic lights. I like traffic lights.

Haha, I didn't even catch that.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Planet X posted:

Looks amazing.

Please tell me it is 'gently caress you' hot as well. I want a jar.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

Bob Morales posted:

Please tell me it is 'gently caress you' hot as well. I want a jar.

They have a nice kick to them, especially the habanero.

I don't take the seeds out or anything, just remove the stem and throw it in the blender.

Zarithas
Jun 18, 2008
Not sure if this has been brought up before, but FYM hot sauce is really drat tasty.

It tastes like fresh habaneros (so somewhat fruity and slightly sweet) without any unnecessary vinegar. Spicy but not overwhelmingly so.

Only downside is that shipping can take over 3 months.

http://fymhotsauce.com

rust3d
Oct 6, 2004

The T-Rex Can't Swim Because Its Arms Are Too Small!

Zarithas posted:

Not sure if this has been brought up before, but FYM hot sauce is really drat tasty.

It tastes like fresh habaneros (so somewhat fruity and slightly sweet) without any unnecessary vinegar. Spicy but not overwhelmingly so.

I am really glad you like my hot sauce, I think it is pretty tasty as well.

Shipping only took a long time from my kickstarter, but now that I am up and going I am shipping out every week. Most everything is shipped priority 2 day so it comes at a reasonable speed.

Thanks for the recommendation!

Edit: Coupon code for 10% off is "paylessmoney" https://fymhotsauce.com

rust3d fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Feb 17, 2015

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Zarithas posted:

Which one did you try?

Also, I've been really enjoying San Pedro hot sauce, made from piquin chiles. Though, it isn't easy to find. My friend gave me a bottle and I guess he buys it from a Mexican restaurant here locally. Spicy, smokey, not much vinegar taste. Mostly smooth consistency but there are seeds in it as well.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Wife somehow ended up in a conversation about hot sauces with a coworker who apparently keeps dozens of varieties in the house. It made me realize that I've pretty much been leaning on two stand-byes my entire life, Franks Red Hot/generic store brand equivalent if I just want a little spice, and CHolula if I want something with flavor. Felt like it was time to branch out a bit. FWIW, we both like spicy stuff but we're not capsaicin junkies, and she's pretty ambivalent towards hot sauce.

I grabbed a few things from the local Market Basket The selection wasn't huge but I'm pretty much just starting out anyway.

We had some baked cajun catfish with rice, re-fried black beans, and a pepper and green bean stir fry yesterday, and had burgers and baked potatoes for lunch today. Louisiana turned out to be pretty much your basic hot sauce, which is what I expected. Added some nice flavor to the potato but was sort of lost in the wash of anything else. The Grace scotch bonnet was a little sweet and definitely the hottest of the bunch. Nothing on a level I hadn't had before, but it mixed really well with the fish and the rice last night. It was decent with the burger, but had an odd muted bitterness I can't really describe very well. Really needs something to compliment it. Overall I liked Nando's Peri Peri the best. It was a little sweet but mostly garlicky and vinegary, which went with well with just about everything for both meals.

I'm in southeast Mass about a stones throw from Providence and open to any suggestions anyone might have for what's available around here. I think I'm going to go through the Nando's pretty fast.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Jmcrofts posted:

I've seen some fellow El Yucateco lovers ITT, but has anyone tried their "XXXtra" hot sauce, Kutbil-Ik? It's very hot and very delicious, with a strong Habanero flavor. I can't get enough of it.

I also tried out their Black Label sauce, and didn't like it at all. Something about the overpowering smoke flavor just turned me off big time.

Holy crap! I love the regular green El Yucateco, but I didn't know this existed!

I must find!

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

AND WE HAVE A WINNER!

This is the haul that the woman and I brought back from Jamaica:

We've now tasted them all, and while we enjoyed every last one, there is a clear winner:

This stuff is fantastic. There are several styles of pepper sauce in Jamaica, but the yellow crushed Scotch Bonnet tend to be the hottest AND the most flavorful.

I bought it in the supermarket for about 1.63 a bottle in US Dollars. I wish I had stocked up, because buying it direct from the website will cost you $5 a bottle plus shipping.

http://mydadsfoods.com/products/Scotch-Bonnet-Pepper-Sauce.html

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Squashy Nipples posted:

Holy crap! I love the regular green El Yucateco, but I didn't know this existed!

I must find!

Check Walmart. Seriously.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

CommonShore posted:

Check Walmart. Seriously.

Just make sure you look in the Hispanic foods aisle. I'm still not entirely sure what dictates whether a hot sauce is put there vs the regular condiment aisle by the other hot sauces.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

xergm posted:

Just make sure you look in the Hispanic foods aisle. I'm still not entirely sure what dictates whether a hot sauce is put there vs the regular condiment aisle by the other hot sauces.

Lead content and overall deliciousness.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Walmart HEAVILY customizes it's inventory to suit the local market... and I live in New England. So, I'll take a look, but it seems unlikely. We have some Hispanic folks around here, but they tend to be from PR, not Mexico.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Squashy Nipples posted:

I must find!

Do you have a Save alot or whatever grocery stores are in the shadier parts of town? They have quite a few Yucatecas at the one I live by.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Squashy Nipples posted:

Walmart HEAVILY customizes it's inventory to suit the local market... and I live in New England. So, I'll take a look, but it seems unlikely. We have some Hispanic folks around here, but they tend to be from PR, not Mexico.

I'm in Canada, and not in an area with a notable mexican population. They just have that and the regular green flavour in the small bottles, one facing of each. In fact, Walmart is the only store that carries several basic "American" ingredients, like Old Bay seasoning, at least at a reasonable price.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Squashy Nipples posted:

Locations in central and Northern New Hampshire stock the red/green/black. In the urban sprawl of the southern plains, you will likely fair better.

Matt18001
Feb 28, 2015

xergm posted:

I'm still not entirely sure what dictates whether a hot sauce is put there vs the regular condiment aisle by the other hot sauces.

Racist 16 year olds.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Matt18001 posted:

Racist 16 year olds.

Scared white managers.

"Okay, all hot sauces named after white people go in the condiment aisle. So Frank's, Crystal, Dave's, and Texas Pete's."
"Sir, Tabasco's made in Louisiana."
"Too many blacks there, kid. Keep it with the Siratcha and Choleeya lady."

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
I went to the pepper palace store in New Orleans. Tried about 25 different things and left with 6 bottles . Will post tomorrow!

goodness fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Mar 16, 2015

swansong
May 7, 2005

Goonfleet said I have to post on SA more
The Lao Gan Ma black bean sauce sounds amazingly perfect for what we eat, thanks for this. Going to try it in some basic Indian dishes, rice + whatever. Maybe the chicken tikka masala from the sriracha cookbook first. Maybe I'll just run through the whole drat book subbing it for the sriracha.

I kind of want to try a chili oil as the base or just straight substitute for a crazy pizza sauce. I use like 2:1 tomato sauce:sriracha now. Any suggestions to that effect?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coinbird
Oct 29, 2003
My name is your Dad

swansong posted:

I kind of want to try a chili oil as the base or just straight substitute for a crazy pizza sauce. I use like 2:1 tomato sauce:sriracha now. Any suggestions to that effect?

Yesterday I just picked up jars of the Lao Gan Ma "hot chili sauce" (with rutabaga?) and "chili in oil." To try them out I used them (half and half) like pizza sauce on a round of pita bread and shoved it in the toaster oven for a bit. It was a grand snack; for a full pizza sauce I'd probably mix it with something to thicken it a bit. Now I need to head back and get the black bean sauce variant. Angry/smug lady on the label for bonus amusement.
Loving this thread, been perusing it for a few days now!

e: Note that the lao gan ma stuff is basically hot chili oil with glorious chunks, not an emulsified sauce. I wonder what blending it would yield...

Coinbird fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Mar 27, 2015