Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

cams posted:

Watching Anderson lose to Weidman the first time hurt, but it was fine, and it proved that even the greats are mortal.

Watching Anderson snap his leg in half against Weidman the second time was the saddest moment of my UFC watching career, topping Jones destroying Lyoto. It was the worst injury I've ever seen in the UFC and it happened to one of my favorite fighters.

I really, really do not want to see Anderson fight Weidman again :(

That isn't to say I don't think he could somehow pull it off, but poo poo... watching those fights hurt.

Before Weidman 2: Anderson Silva has such tiny shrimpy legs, I can just imagine one of them getting snapped in half

During Weidman 2: Oh god nooooo :stonk: :barf:

Yeah, I don't want to see a third matchup. Silva has a loving amazing legacy still, he doesn't deserve to have his later years be remembered as being brought to the brink of death by Weidman over and over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

Cuckoo posted:

Before Weidman 2: Anderson Silva has such tiny shrimpy legs, I can just imagine one of them getting snapped in half

Yeah, I don't want to see a third matchup. Silva has a loving amazing legacy still, he doesn't deserve to have his later years be remembered as being brought to the brink of death by Weidman over and over.

Maybe Dana just wants revenge for the Maia fight.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Ewar Woowar posted:

Anderson should just fight mouthy up and comers on win streaks- like Cerrone vs Jury.

Also loving lol at everything about this Jon Jones business. I'm very surprised Cormier has stayed relatively quiet tbh, especially after the poo poo Jones talked after their fight.

"that pathetic addict beat me so bad that i cried. what a loser"

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Crappers posted:

I'll live happy with the knowledge that he'll pretty much stomp anyone else in the division with ease whenever he returns (except maybe Gus).

i think there are a lot of fighters at lhw who would gently caress cormier up. like johnson, vlad, rashad, etc.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
"the guy with weird nuts who gets all hosed up on coke and hides under the cage was only able to outstrike me by a two to one margin? what an idiot"

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I can't wait for Cain-Bigfoot III. By my calculation the fight would last -24 seconds.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
cain would slip on titty milk on his way to the cage and destroy his shoulder or knee or whatever, and bigfoot would still get brutally tko'd in the fashion of that korean guy who got celebrated into unconsciousness

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

the janitor is no longer with the ufc, i'm afraid. he lost to joey beltran via north south choke in bellator and retired.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Cuckoo posted:

Weidman won the first fight out and out, Silva had that poo poo coming too and it was amazing. The second fight though, come on, anyone can break their leg if they get really, really unlucky. People slam much much much smaller, more delicate bones against hard poo poo on the body every minute of a fight. Silva got incredibly unlucky at probably the worst time for his legacy - and I am not saying Weidman didn't check the kick, because it's obvious he did. But you can't check in such a way as it will reliably break your opponents leg, dude got lucky.

I'd like to see a rematch but the timing is stupid, and sensible timing would probably finally put Anderson past his athletic window, even if he is a freak at fighting.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
Did you forget the part where Weidman knocked Silva out in the first round in the rematch? At no point was Silva winning in any of the 1.5 rounds of both fights with Weidman. Silva even said he would never make another title run again after losing that fight. I figure this whole title shot business is just Dana saying Things again (without saying whatever Silva's intentions are), to give the perception that this Diaz fight actually means something.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3
I mean if Silva is really gunning for the fight and sitting in Dana's office everyday begging for it or something then I guess more power to him, I just don't know that I want to pay the new and improved PPV price of 59.95 to see him die over and over to the same person. (Though I'll buy it anyway if they keep pairing Weidman with Rhonda on every card.)

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Foul Fowl posted:

the janitor is no longer with the ufc, i'm afraid. he lost to joey beltran via north south choke in bellator and retired.

he would still beat cormier

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

EDIT ^^^ beaten like Anderson Silva's tetherball leg

Agreed posted:

Weidman won the first fight out and out, Silva had that poo poo coming too and it was amazing. The second fight though, come on, anyone can break their leg if they get really, really unlucky. People slam much much much smaller, more delicate bones against hard poo poo on the body every minute of a fight. Silva got incredibly unlucky at probably the worst time for his legacy - and I am not saying Weidman didn't check the kick, because it's obvious he did. But you can't check in such a way as it will reliably break your opponents leg, dude got lucky.

I'd like to see a rematch but the timing is stupid, and sensible timing would probably finally put Anderson past his athletic window, even if he is a freak at fighting.

I honestly don't think so. One could argue that Weidman's titanium steel body could have possibly not broken Silva's leg and that was just bad luck/a bad angle, but it wasn't like Silva was stomping Weidman up to that point. He was losing pretty handily, even though Anderson came into that fight all business and not pulling that weird Looney Tunes mind games dancing poo poo. Anderson is still an amazing fighter but whatever Weidman does is like the perfect counter, and Silva/the fans need to accept that with grace.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

I mean if Silva is really gunning for the fight and sitting in Dana's office everyday begging for it or something then I guess more power to him, I just don't know that I want to pay the new and improved PPV price of 59.95 to see him die over and over to the same person. (Though I'll buy it anyway if they keep pairing Weidman with Rhonda on every card.)

Ronda. No H.

david carmichael posted:

he would still beat cormier

I've never been a huge DC fan, but you're out of your mind if you think the janitor has anything for him. I think he still mops the floor with a large swath of LHWs.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I like the level of revisionist history the internet has crafted regarding the Weidman Silva fights, it is excellent and will lead to much-demanded matchups such as Weidman vs. Silva 7 and Nick Diaz vs Brock Lesnar.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I had actually forgotten that Weidman had almost KOd Silva in the first round of the second fight, so I rewatched it. Ezekiel choke. Cool. Rogan and Goldberg freaking out ("good shots from the bottom!") whenever Silva does anything.

But the way that Silva dropped from that short hook in the first round. That makes me think that age has caught up with his chin.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

Ronda. No H.

I've never been a huge DC fan, but you're out of your mind if you think the janitor has anything for him. I think he still mops the floor with a large swath of LHWs.

the only one mopping any floors is vlad

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Cuckoo posted:

I honestly don't think so. One could argue that Weidman's titanium steel body could have possibly not broken Silva's leg and that was just bad luck/a bad angle, but it wasn't like Silva was stomping Weidman up to that point. He was losing pretty handily, even though Anderson came into that fight all business and not pulling that weird Looney Tunes mind games dancing poo poo. Anderson is still an amazing fighter but whatever Weidman does is like the perfect counter, and Silva/the fans need to accept that with grace.

You may be right. I don't know. But I feel like I'm pretty in tune with the average moron here, being one myself. I'd like to see the fight because I don't think Chris stole it but I feel like there's a great fight there that just didn't happen. THAT SAID, I don't want to see it right now, or in any realistic time frame. It's really short-sighted even just for straight up $$$ reasons to gently caress around with matchmaking like this.

Related but separate thought - what does a promotion do with high-draw, very limited time fighters, though? If you don't let a guy like Silva fight -right now- it's over soon. If anyone hires Brock Lesnar in MMA, they better pump some fights out of him really quickly too. The whole draw is almost in the freakshow aspect of it. What would legitimately be a good fight for Silva, at this point? Is there a good fight for him at his age and given his history in MMA? A bad opponent is a joke, a great one is too much of a risk? Should he just retire, and if so, you want to tell him?

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
There's a lot of casuals, and probably regular fans too, who write off the two fights as Silva getting caught and Silva getting hurt.

A third fight would likely do huge numbers, like the last one, which the UFC is no doubt interested in.

Silva didn't want the last fight and they talked him into it. Could happen again.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
vlad wiped the floors with dc's mentor when he was a mere teen, and then wiped the floors with a shammy cloth

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Agreed posted:

You may be right. I don't know. But I feel like I'm pretty in tune with the average moron here, being one myself. I'd like to see the fight because I don't think Chris stole it but I feel like there's a great fight there that just didn't happen. THAT SAID, I don't want to see it right now, or in any realistic time frame. It's really short-sighted even just for straight up $$$ reasons to gently caress around with matchmaking like this.

Related but separate thought - what does a promotion do with high-draw, very limited time fighters, though? If you don't let a guy like Silva fight -right now- it's over soon. If anyone hires Brock Lesnar in MMA, they better pump some fights out of him really quickly too. The whole draw is almost in the freakshow aspect of it. What would legitimately be a good fight for Silva, at this point? Is there a good fight for him at his age and given his history in MMA? A bad opponent is a joke, a great one is too much of a risk? Should he just retire, and if so, you want to tell him?

let them fight the frank mir of their division, who in this case would be nick diaz.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
if he gets through diaz you give him bisping, and so forth

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
*Chris Weidman rips Anderson Silva's head off*

Well yeah, but anyone's head can just be ripped off in a fluke

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Detroit_Dogg posted:

*Chris Weidman rips Anderson Silva's head off*

Well yeah, but anyone's head can just be ripped off in a fluke

If they duct tape his head back on he'll go in there and kick Weidman's rear end for real this time

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
I hope silva knocks him out so we can get silva wide man 4-7.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
The fight won't happen though because diaz will win and then fight and beat robbie lawler for the belt.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

Agreed posted:

I'm all for giving him great opponents, just not Weidman. At least not off of a win over Nick Diaz, whose style is in no way reminiscent of Weidman's whatsoever and will tell us nothing about how a third Weidman fight would go differently.

Give him the biggest money fights you can while he's still physically capable and if, along the way, it looks like he's ready for another title shot then do it.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

The fight won't happen though because diaz will win and then fight and beat robbie lawler for the belt.

This would be the perfect next step to make this a year to remember in the UFC

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

Boredom is always counter-revolutionary. Always.

Cuckoo posted:

Weidman definitely won the first round, but it's not like Silva has never dropped the first round and come back to win before (Henderson, Sonnen). It depends on what condition Silva is in, but I don't think a third fight would be leading a lamb to the slaughter or anything. I'd like to see Jacare get his shot first though.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
You know Silva said after the second lose to Weidman that he'd be willing to fight anyone, even Machida, to get back at the title. If he beats Diaz make that fight.

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

Agreed posted:

What would legitimately be a good fight for Silva, at this point? Is there a good fight for him at his age and given his history in MMA? A bad opponent is a joke, a great one is too much of a risk? Should he just retire, and if so, you want to tell him?

Silva vs CM punk, million plus buys to watch Silva destroy him within a minute

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013

Agreed posted:

Weidman checked his kick, it wasnt luck

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
Ufc signed joseph duffy, guy who has all ready beat conor mcgregor and norman parke

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

Weidman checked his kick, it wasnt luck

No poo poo. He definitely checked the kick. It wasn't luck that he checked the kick. It was luck that the result of doing so wasn't just a block, or a painful bruise, or even just a good opportunity to wail on Silva for second. Those things are pretty predictable when you successfully check a kick. The other dude's leg snapping in half is a major accident. Sure, it resulted in the total disabling of Silva and so he won the fight fair and square. It was also luckier than the most puncher's-chance knockout I've ever seen.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Agreed posted:

No poo poo. He definitely checked the kick. It wasn't luck that he checked the kick. It was luck that the result of doing so wasn't just a block, or a painful bruise, or even just a good opportunity to wail on Silva for second. Those things are pretty predictable when you successfully check a kick. The other dude's leg snapping in half is a major accident. Sure, it resulted in the total disabling of Silva and so he won the fight fair and square. It was also luckier than the most puncher's-chance knockout I've ever seen.

:dogout:

This is some of the most retarded poo poo I've ever read, and I really hate when I have to read retarded poo poo which I've read before. This garbage about it being "luck" that it broke is not only false, it's the same drivel which idiots on sherdog were saying years ago. It wasn't luck when Spong's leg broke. It wasn't luck when Taylor's leg broke. It's no more "luck" than a punch causing a broken metacarpal. It's a basic and fundamental risk of the activity. Quit saying stupid things.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013

Agreed posted:

Its not common, but it is common enough not to be luck. Silva threw a kick with bad technique and weidman checked it perfectly, happens in muay thai a lot more than mma fights but it happens in both. equating it to punchers chance is stupid

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

EvanSchenck posted:

Yoel already beat Kennedy to get a fight with Jacare, which was a likely title eliminator before Dana announced this trilogy fight. I guess one could, like Tim Kennedy, whine pathetically about how that outcome was the result of confusion and possible cheating when Yoel didn't get up to start the third round, but that's a different argument (also wrong).

Errr, I confused Kennedy with Rockhold. loving white people all look the same.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Agreed posted:

Related but separate thought - what does a promotion do with high-draw, very limited time fighters, though?

You put them in high-profile marquee matchups with big name fighters that A) do not currently hold a title and B) they have not fought before.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I'm listening to Rogan's recent podcast with Stann and he's now claiming that the best base for MMA is having an abusive brother that beats you up when growing up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
The ones without drawing power end up in WSOF

• Locked thread