Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Yeah, thinking you can just beat it and get rid of it is one of the biggest lessons people take a long time to take to heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Spoilers-

I was underwhelmed overall with the movie. It's not to say it was BAD (the acting and cinematography were all pretty great) , and the little boy was SO good at being obnoxious and annoying in all the right ways (he loves his mom so much but he's a hellspawn), I also really liked the relationship she had with her sister, it felt authentic. But I had some issues with the film that really brought it down.

I didn't like the design of the "real" babadook. He was honestly super cheesy and not scary at all. Someone in the thread mentioned this, but it would have been better had we never seen him at all, or go the other extreme and make him super loud and "pop up booky" , make him fill the room (like it appeared in the book) and show a tiny bed in the corner for the shot, i dunno, as it was it felt underwhelming after so much build up.

It's also amazing how good the sound is, and yet, they dropped the ball in sound in the same movie. That "godzilla" sound completely took me out of the movie. So bad.

I didn't "get" why the son flew up the stairs, I thought the monster wasn't real and it's just a manifestation of repressed depressed thoughts and resentment towards her kid?

Those are my biggest gripes. I'd still recommend it to someone because overall it's pretty well made and it's certainly not a bad film. It just fell a bit short for me.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Not to run this into the ground but do they seriously think everyone wouldn't recognize that roar sound effect and laugh at it?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I don't recognise it from anywhere but I did think it sounded a bit silly.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

88h88 posted:

I don't recognise it from anywhere but I did think it sounded a bit silly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWo0Hhx07Pc

Caros
May 14, 2008

Its also the imp alert sound from the original doom. Kept expecting that fucker to throw fireballs at them.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Pretty sure beyond video games it was used for dinosaurs in movies back in the day.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

somnambulist posted:

Spoilers-

I didn't "get" why the son flew up the stairs, I thought the monster wasn't real and it's just a manifestation of repressed depressed thoughts and resentment towards her kid?

Its both.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

truther posted:

Can't say I enjoyed it much. I have a massive issue when the characters are shown what's going to happen in the future yet the characters are clueless. Ie: when she reads the taped-together book. Of course she didn't know what she was reading, but the audience does and so when it actually happens - and continues to fulfil the 'prophecy' the book depicted - I can't help but feel it loses its effectiveness.
You know, I hate 'he is the chosen one' type movies for a similar reason, but I absolutely loved that it was all spelled out in this one. The difference is the effectiveness comes from the dread of knowing that it is going to happen no matter what she does. It's unstoppable, which is an unsettling thought.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, having what was going to happen be an unknown really wouldn't work with this movie. The forgone conclusion of what's going to happen in this movie is a horrifying one and alot of the dread comes from knowing the horrible stuff in the book might happen and alot of the tension comes from seeing if the mother will just go according to the book or if she'll be able to resist it.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I also didn't mind that, mainly because by the time we are even shown the book (especially the second time) the mom is REALLY stressed out.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
If the book's final pages had been shown in its first appearance it would have been a horrible decision, no doubt, but the "epilogue" comes after Amelia is already near her breaking point and gone through several borderline-paranormal events from the first reading. It gives the Babadook a method and a motive beyond freeform malevolence and ratchets up tension for the audience, because now we know what that top-hatted rear end in a top hat is actually working towards and spend the remainder of the film quietly begging it to not happen.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I really enjoyed this movie. The sense of dread and foreboding was palpable and the two leads nailed their roles. I didn't care too much for the ending, and although I respect the continuation of the metaphor, I felt it didn't work if you ignore the subtext, and I think a movie needs to work both on a visceral and subtextual level. The end felt a bit cheesy and left me with a feeling of "That's it?" Out of the genres, I think horror has the hardest time producing satisfying conclusions. I felt really similarly when I watched Starry Eyed. Much like in The Babadook, when the lead becomes "possessed," or evil, a lot of the tension melted away. On the whole, both are very much worth watching and the focus on developing character and atmosphere is truly appreciated. When it gets scary, you know you won't be disappointed with cheap jump scares, but rewarded with looming dread.

Also, the pop-up book was one of the coolest movie props I've seen. The second time she finds it was a wonderful reveal..

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

dantheman650 posted:

I really enjoyed this movie. The sense of dread and foreboding was palpable and the two leads nailed their roles. I didn't care too much for the ending, and although I respect the continuation of the metaphor, I felt it didn't work if you ignore the subtext, and I think a movie needs to work both on a visceral and subtextual level. The end felt a bit cheesy and left me with a feeling of "That's it?" Out of the genres, I think horror has the hardest time producing satisfying conclusions. I felt really similarly when I watched Starry Eyed. Much like in The Babadook, when the lead becomes "possessed," or evil, a lot of the tension melted away. On the whole, both are very much worth watching and the focus on developing character and atmosphere is truly appreciated. When it gets scary, you know you won't be disappointed with cheap jump scares, but rewarded with looming dread.

Also, the pop-up book was one of the coolest movie props I've seen. The second time she finds it was a wonderful reveal..

I felt much the same as you about everything about this film, and in general I really liked it.

Babadook Pop-Up Book V2.0 was the poo poo, especially the last group of pop-ups. :laugh:

I did feel that the direction the film was going was pretty clear by halfway through or so (The Babadook being the manifestation of her grief/mental illness) but that's okay, but it didn't leave the film with anywhere in particular to go, so yeah, the finale did seem a bit anticlimactic.

I don't know how expensive a film like this was relative to found footage hand held digicam movies, but I liked that it looked like it took zero money to make (minimal effects of any kind) but was very effective. All you really need for a good film is a good story, effective acting (kid actor in particular nailed it, I kind of hated him early on but really empathized with him by the end), and a scary-as-gently caress pop up book.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

great movie, I would just like to chip in that until the end credits, I did not recognize the friendly teddy bear of a coworker as Daniel Henshall, aka John Bunting in the incredibly upsetting, equally excellent for very different reasons Australian serial killer movie The Snowtown Murders.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
Great film, although my experience was slightly ruined because of stupid memes and internet culture.

I couldn't help laugh hysterically when this loving gif made a cameo:

A couple other immersion breakers were the aforementioned Doom imp sound effect and the closeup pan of the rhyming storybook text at the "can't dodge the babadook" line. In the latter case, as soon as it panned over "Can't... dodge... the..." I immediately thought of the "Can't corner the Dorner/Simmer the Zimmer/Dodge the Rodge" memes. Stupid, but that's my fault, not the films.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

great movie, I would just like to chip in that until the end credits, I did not recognize the friendly teddy bear of a coworker as Daniel Henshall, aka John Bunting in the incredibly upsetting, equally excellent for very different reasons Australian serial killer movie The Snowtown Murders.

I recognized him right away and was waiting for him to murder someone the whole movie.

Sunshine Mix
Jun 11, 2009
I saw this movie and was just massively underwhelmed. This movie didn't seem ambiguous; rather, it was archly symbolic to my viewing. Too much so for my tastes.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Sunshine Mix posted:

I saw this movie and was just massively underwhelmed. This movie didn't seem ambiguous; rather, it was archly symbolic to my viewing. Too much so for my tastes.

I saw it in the cinema and was really surprised when Mark Kermode chose it as his film of the year. I just hated the ending. Yes I know it fits with the subtext but it felt "off", anticlimactic.

Elijah Snow
Dec 10, 2006

some-something man
I watched this movie last year, and have completely forgotten it. It really was as terrible as I thought.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
The entire ending was one of the few things I actually really liked about the movie.

It's such a well made movie that it's definitely worth people's time. Great performances and visuals and a nice sense of insomnia and increasing madness. But the Babadook itself was way, way too Mighty Boosh to be scary.

My biggest problem was how predictable it was. It is not a subtle movie and by the time you get what they are going for (which happens extremely early on) you can count down the plot's by the numbers progression. It's why I liked the ending; it was an unexpected way to end it.

So many movies of course follow a familiar progression, but this is one of the few movies where it really bothered me because I just wanted them to get to the next step every other scene. And I don't believe that was particularly my fault.

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

I liked this movie a lot. I guess I have mixed feelings about the ending but I definitely felt a growing sense of dread throughout. The book was cool too.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

But the Babadook itself was way, way too Mighty Boosh to be scary.

Sort of wish I didn't read this though, as I won't be able to see anything else when I watch it again.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, the Babadook is extremely Mighty Boosh.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
gently caress's sake, now I can't unsee noel fielding's face

Honest Thief fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jan 26, 2015

Crimsonking82
Jan 7, 2015
Saw this Last October at TAD film fest. It was pumped to the gills and I had high hopes. If you go in over hyped chances are you will not be fond of it. It's good but nothing to write home about. Now if you liked it or if you just thought it was okay...I HIGHLY recommend Housebound. Saw it at the same fest and I loved it. Highly recommend. I thought Babadook started strong and suffered in the 3rd act. Housebound hit me out of the gate and then proceeded to f with my mind to the very end. Yes it is more horror comedy than Babadook but I found it way more effective. If you love Babadook and want something even better I highly recommend (and would love opinions) The 80's film the changeling which I think got haunted house movies like this (not paranormal activity which is in its own genre) correct. Plus there isn't the annoying kid....who I will say did a fantastic job....but Christ is a poster child as to why I don't want kids! If they had kept the third act a little more obscure I would have liked it more. Plus don't kill the loving dog. Sorry not even going to cover that with a spoiler. I Hate when films do that just to get an emotional push and this is guilty of it in spades. Could have been so much better. It is def worth the watch though as negative as all of this sounds. For horror in the last 10 years I would give it a good recommendation and rate it a 6.5/7. Love to hear your thoughts.

Crimsonking82
Jan 7, 2015

Dissapointed Owl posted:

The entire ending was one of the few things I actually really liked about the movie.

It's such a well made movie that it's definitely worth people's time. Great performances and visuals and a nice sense of insomnia and increasing madness. But the Babadook itself was way, way too Mighty Boosh to be scary.

My biggest problem was how predictable it was. It is not a subtle movie and by the time you get what they are going for (which happens extremely early on) you can count down the plot's by the numbers progression. It's why I liked the ending; it was an unexpected way to end it.

So many movies of course follow a familiar progression, but this is one of the few movies where it really bothered me because I just wanted them to get to the next step every other scene. And I don't believe that was particularly my fault.

Agree with you for the most part ( won't even get into the CGI "Boosh" effect) and would quote you to counter my arguments but in the end think we are on a similar page. It is a top tier VOD rental.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I watched it last night, and I feel really conflicted with liking it or not. I loved the horror aspect of it up until the end with the metaphoric explanation. I thought it was an interesting way to perceive the situation and seeing a relationship struggling in a completely different light, but I don't like that the Babadook's character is quickly thrown away to just be nothing more than an emotion. I guess going into this with the idea it is just a horror is skewing my view of it, maybe re watching it will make me appreciate it more as a drama about family struggles.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Just saw it, it was pretty drat good. Wouldn't say it's the BEST recent horror movie, but quite effective. The ending was pretty unusual and interesting.

The sound editing was really well done, up to the alien death scream from X-Com :)

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
As far as I remember the Babadook is an actual thing from New Zealand & Australia, like a boogeyman or something. I loved this movie aside from the ending, but the ending did seem pretty typical for other New Zealand horror movies I've seen so I guess it goes with the territory.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Dreadwroth posted:

As far as I remember the Babadook is an actual thing from New Zealand & Australia, like a boogeyman or something. I loved this movie aside from the ending, but the ending did seem pretty typical for other New Zealand horror movies I've seen so I guess it goes with the territory.

According to the director it's just a nonsense word loosely based on the Serbian word for boogeyman. It does sound like an Australian/New Zealand myth though.

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action

Dreadwroth posted:

No its not

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
On that note, any movies based on the bunyip?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Dot and the Kangaroo

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Saw this with the wife last night, we both really dug it. What I appreciated most about it is how the film works equally well if you interpret the monster being real vs a product of the mother's mental illness. The one exception I thought of was where the pop-up book came from in the first place if you discount any actual supernatural events occurring, but then I remembered that she had told the women at her niece's birthday party that she used to write children's books, so it's conceivable that she created the book herself.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

She also has ink stains on her fingers at the police station, and vomits ink in the finale, suggesting she produced it during some missing time. But that could still go to mental illness or supernatural possession.

67 and still making love
Oct 7, 2005

Peek
a
BLARGH

The Vosgian Beast posted:

According to the director it's just a nonsense word loosely based on the Serbian word for boogeyman. It does sound like an Australian/New Zealand myth though.

Also Dada Book.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Twanki posted:

Also Dada Book.

I like it.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
Yeah, but there's also the obvious one:

A Bad Book

And there's no way that's a coincidence.

Red Pyramid
Apr 29, 2008
The name made me think of the Baba Yaga, the witch of Russian folklore, also a destroyer of children.

I saw this a few nights ago and loved it. The sound design, the hyper-stylized color palette and lighting, the juxtaposition of whimsical storybook imagery with violent depression, all really unnerved me. Some of my favorite scenes are when mother falls asleep in front of the television and the Babadook starts showing up in the clips. It achieves a really genuine dreamlike atmosphere.

Probably my favorite haunted house movie of the last few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Just watched it.

I hate it when they kill dogs :( but man the popup book was amazing.

• Locked thread