Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Byers2142 posted:

Fair enough. Did I miss any really good games while I was gone I should read?

Twin Peaks :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

merk posted:

I'll literally vote anyone. I haven't read much.

merk, are you scum? Please don't be scum, merk, it's a pain in the rear end to push a lynch through on you.

Ernie. posted:

full context: i want everyone to reach deep within their hearts and consider if ~champion~ merk would use a vig the way he did if he's town. i mean he'd hold on to it to try and 'save' the game, is my impression of how strong merk knows his play is.

instead he wasted it on a joke.

Please don't be scum, merk.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Ernie. posted:

##unvote

merk's play irks me, and i feel like he's outsmarting me by making unconfirmable absolute statements like 'i had only today to use the vig'. i believe in my bones that a boon for winning a d1 event would be a d1 specific thing in a diqnol game, but i mean he didn't even ask opop to claim or anything.

epsilon feels like he's buddying to me too much. both cases i made (one even on him) were met with him nodding his head. i don't think scum would be so bullish as to link themselves to a player this transparently. i'm leaning slightly town on him.

somber's play feels like town somber to me. i dunno the only time i ever caught him was because he gave up on playing like scum. i'm failing to see anything there, but i'd like someone to make a convincing case.

and now kfc is freaking me out with how 'undecided' he seems. nothing winged orpheus did/said could have made them look 'better' in kfc's eyes, but apparently epsilon plus looked worse for half a second??

Ernie, I like most of these points, or at least the thought that's gone behind them. How do you feel now about merk, f_v, Rarity, and/or Allen?

uranus posted:

i belive in merk

Please don't be scum, merk.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Allen Wren posted:

jesus loving christ, uranus is trying even less than I am.

Literally the only thing the dude did is accuse quid of careposting

spacebutt is above things like caring. This is a pretty average spacebutt game, especially since he only came back because of Diqnol.

Rarity posted:

derp always does this, it's always really loving annoying

It's endearing; many things change, but spacebutt's complete lack of giving a poo poo never will.

Dugong posted:

Didn't realise it was so close to deadline and I need to sleep within the hour. I want to vote YPM. Someone else posted that didn't see them as worthwhile enough to lynch but their most recent post is still just jokingly forcing the fv case. Saying that I don't want to be the one vote on someone else that stops a lynch going through. I'm going to put it on YPM for now and will change if needed before I leave.

##vote YPM

Wait, what? YPM? Why, I see nothing in your history that explains this vote.

Quidnose posted:

seriously is this Dugong new, who are you, why are you playing so poorly

Why are you dead, Quid?

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Caught up.

##vote f_v

Rarity, Allen, and merk also pinging my mafia-dar.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Rarity posted:

Twin Peaks :getin:

Holy poo poo.

How could you ever call spacebutt annoying after that game?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Ok, time to collect my thoughts. Firstly, the difficulty with which it took Somber's lynch to go through makes me think the people who were around near deadline who hadn't voted are predominantly town. Quid and EP are already dead so that leaves WOrph, Amoeba, FV and Ernie. But more importantly, CT was very active at deadline trying to push for the lynch when the only real thing she'd said about him before was that he was "forced" and that's buzzwordy as hell so that's hitting my scumdar. Then looking at the other people who voted Somber:

Asiina - very active during jokephase, lots of chat about CS and chess but barely posted after actual play started, she's only commentede on two people and I think her case on Eps is just there to look like she's making the effort

KFC - I didn't his early post, I disagree with the stuff he said about WOrph and he had that instant flip-flop which was weird as hell

PMom - has at least posted a lot but I think his noise to signal ratio is low, it's mostly calling stuff bad without drawing any thoughtful conclusions and lots of comments about the game in general such as:

Pinterest Mom posted:

if you're following a game and you know someone is scum, then everything they do that's noticeable or out of the ordinary (like the vig fakeout you did in that game) becomes "something-they-did-as-scum", so i don't think there's anything weird about chic and ernie remembering/pointing that out.

Pinterest Mom posted:

i don't see why the role wouldn't be given to scum with the caveat "pick at most one scum"
it might even be more interesting that way - scum picks one scum champion and one town champion and they take each other on in gladiatorial combat
but ~setup spec~

Pinterest Mom posted:

in both games, you did a

"hmm how should i use my vig"
immediately followed by using it

i think that's a humour/temperament thing, not an alignment thing, but you did do the same thing in both games

Right now my suspicions go PMom > Asiina > CT > KFC

##vote PMom

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Byers2142 posted:

Holy poo poo.

How could you ever call spacebutt annoying after that game?

It's been a while, remind me what he did

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Rarity posted:

It's been a while, remind me what he did

Paul Peak fan fic.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Rarity posted:

Ok, time to collect my thoughts. Firstly, the difficulty with which it took Somber's lynch to go through makes me think the people who were around near deadline who hadn't voted are predominantly town. Quid and EP are already dead so that leaves WOrph, Amoeba, FV and Ernie. But more importantly, CT was very active at deadline trying to push for the lynch when the only real thing she'd said about him before was that he was "forced" and that's buzzwordy as hell so that's hitting my scumdar. Then looking at the other people who voted Somber:

Expand on this first thought. Why are the people near deadline who hadn't voted likely town?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Byers2142 posted:

Expand on this first thought. Why are the people near deadline who hadn't voted likely town?

Because it looks like it was difficult to get that lynch through, Somber was still at -4 with ten minutes to go. I think if those late voters were scum they would have put in the vote earlier instead of leaving it till last minute. I'm not saying it's definite or anything but it's something I think is worth considering.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Rarity posted:

Because it looks like it was difficult to get that lynch through, Somber was still at -4 with ten minutes to go. I think if those late voters were scum they would have put in the vote earlier instead of leaving it till last minute. I'm not saying it's definite or anything but it's something I think is worth considering.

It was Somber or no one by that point, right? If I were scum in that position, I'd probably play for the no lynch. merk and f_v weren't getting enough traction, and you can maybe spin it to have a no lynch D1 and a mislynch on Somber D2. I can see just as strong of an argument they'd be scum.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Byers2142 posted:

It was Somber or no one by that point, right? If I were scum in that position, I'd probably play for the no lynch. merk and f_v weren't getting enough traction, and you can maybe spin it to have a no lynch D1 and a mislynch on Somber D2. I can see just as strong of an argument they'd be scum.

Why would scum want the no lynch?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Byers, read Over the Garden Wall. It was a great game.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Rarity posted:

Why would scum want the no lynch?

It puts the momentum on their side. They can dictate the first information via flips via the nightkill, and leave Somber as a lynch candidate they can turn to later in the game to cover for one of their own. On D1 as scum, a no lynch and a living "scummy" town player is more valuable to me than a mislynch, especially in a bigger game where you want to play the long con.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy

Byers2142 posted:

Paul Peak fan fic.

that was the last game i played before i quit for a long time. the peak brothers haunt me still

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
Byers I am so happy that I wasn't going insane and wasn't the only one who wanted to murder FV for what she did

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Your Personal Muse posted:

Byers I am so happy that I wasn't going insane and wasn't the only one who wanted to murder FV for what she did

Well, maybe insane, but not because of this at least...

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Hey I am chiming in to say I'm at a client site today and will post tonight.

I've read nothibg again but will read something soon!

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos
Does anyone else get a HUGE scum ping from f_v with regards to the map change? I have a real strong hunch based on that but I'd like to get some yes/no confirmation before I start giving details.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
yes just kill her already jesus why does no one listen to me

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

uranus posted:

yes just kill her already jesus why does no one listen to me

They're afraid of your genius. They forget that you and I are quite accomplished at hitting scum with vigs and should always be listened to when it comes to vig targets.

On the other hand, we also proved that when you vig all but one scum D1, the game becomes very loving boring.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Winged Orpheus posted:

Does anyone else get a HUGE scum ping from f_v with regards to the map change? I have a real strong hunch based on that but I'd like to get some yes/no confirmation before I start giving details.

No idea what you're getting at, so you'll need to explain for me to understand. Has the map had any impact thus far, and I just haven't seen it?

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos
The map change definitely had an effect.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Winged Orpheus posted:

Again, you'll need to explain for me to understand, because I don't see an effect. Plus, Amoeba is the one who changed the map; how does that reflect on f_v's alignment?

And if you give me a sololy flavor-based argument, you're going onto the "if I only had a gun" list with Hiip.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
HEADSHOT

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Hi I know I said I would case merk and I'm still doing that but some weird irl stuff has happened so that's probably gonna have to wait until later tonight/tomorrow morning

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

Winged Orpheus posted:

You're possibly right about FV, but if you're town you're definitely botching this. You couldn't have just cased FV a little harder for padding and rolefishing?

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

True and Real posted:

Before anybody gets to talk some more with the newer, smaller group, the map is changed unceremoniously to de_aztec. "This piece of dung?" "..." "..." "ugh" Despite the map being atrocious, nobody seems to disconnect and the discussion moves on almost as though nothing happened. There are occasional murmurs that the map will be changed back to dust_2 after this lag stuff is sorted out but they are lost in a sea of exclamation points and emoticons.

Someone want to explain what actually changed here, because I don't see it and I'm clearly not the only one.

I was expecting it would do something to effect the actual game, like change the lynch rules from majority to plurality for example.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

You're possibly right about FV, but if you're town you're definitely botching this. You couldn't have just cased FV a little harder for padding and rolefishing?

Padding and rolefishing? Please explain where.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Amoeba102 posted:

I'm quite dissappointed that nothing seemed to happen.

Byers2142 posted:

No idea what you're getting at, so you'll need to explain for me to understand. Has the map had any impact thus far, and I just haven't seen it?

For those who think me not noticing what the map change did, are Amoeba and Byers my scum buddies?

If I was scum wouldn't I ask that question in the scum doc instead of the thread?

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Winged Orpheus posted:

How about you just say it and let me defend myself.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Padding and rolefishing? Please explain where.

fiery_valkyrie posted:

So change map didn't do anything?

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Yeah, whats the point of having a power role if you cant do cool stuff?

Then WO comes after you with

Winged Orpheus posted:

The reasonable things I can think WO could be criticising about your comments on map change would be that you're saying things that aren't terribly impactful on the game and the point of which would be asking about things that intersect with other peoples' roles. It seems to have worked because WO is claiming an effect now which I think was a dumb move unless he's trying to draw a nightkill. Maybe the map made him BP or gave him the ability to hide. :shrug: I think it would've been better for him to case you than to just claim, since if he thinks you're scum, that's what you were going for.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Hi, if someone who knows an effect of the map change can safely tell me what it was I'd be appreciative. Maybe say tomorrow, because it's probably a today only thing. Even if I'm dead tomorrow, I wanna know.

With the first event, me betting correctly got me the map change, as part of my role. But the map change doesn't seem to have any means of extending the events I can start.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

Then WO comes after you with

The reasonable things I can think WO could be criticising about your comments on map change would be that you're saying things that aren't terribly impactful on the game and the point of which would be asking about things that intersect with other peoples' roles. It seems to have worked because WO is claiming an effect now which I think was a dumb move unless he's trying to draw a nightkill. Maybe the map made him BP or gave him the ability to hide. :shrug: I think it would've been better for him to case you than to just claim, since if he thinks you're scum, that's what you were going for.

So I'm scum because I'm not posting 100% serious mafia all the time? If the game was at a point where there was some serious discussion going on and I interrupted it to distract with no content posts that would be one thing, but look at the context of the thread when I made those comments.

If WO is claiming something about his role (which is a big assumption on your part) that has nothing to do with me and to claim I prompted that with a "rolefishing" comment is a really big stretch.

I thought the map change would have an effect on the game rules. Diq posted some flavour stuff and that was all. If people did have individual effects then there was no way for me to know or expect that so how could I be rolefishing for it?

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos
This'll probably get me NKed but I think dropping the cryptic bits will help town at this point.

I probably did go about it the wrong way, I'm not super experienced at mafia. You can more or less put two and two together at this point, so I'll be a little more clear. The map change changed my role. My (possibly incorrect) assumption would be that scum would not know what the change did, as their roles were unlikely to change. KFC was more or less correct when he brought up rolefishing (which I had forgotten the term for). I was trying to see if anyone else knew what the map change did, and if the majority knew then those that didn't know were likely scum (except probably amoeba, I haven't seen any reason to doubt the claim that they didn't know what both their weird powers would actually do).

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm sure someone will paint this question in a bad light, but were you VT before the change?

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Hmmm yes I see your point

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I don't actually think you're scum FV. I dunno. The stage change did nothing as far as I can tell. Can we have another chess game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Little Mac posted:

I don't actually think you're scum FV. I dunno. The stage change did nothing as far as I can tell. Can we have another chess game?

Do you have any other thoughts? Your contribution yesterday was negligible

• Locked thread