Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah the moment I added a bike lane on my last layout and I got like 3 comments saying "Make sure to add a huge traffic jam after some social engineer at city hall took away a needed a car lane to add a bike lane no one wants". The model train community, specially in the US, really skews old, suburban, and conservative/reactionary. Makes sense that they all model the 1950's and ramble on and on about how it was such a perfect golden age. There's even 20-30 something dudes in the hobby that will make little comments about how they were "born in the wrong age" as they model a clean leave it to beaver 1950's that never really existed.

Of course they just pick that era because of the trains, nothing to do with the social/racial situation at the time. Just like dudes obsessed with WWII Nazi stuff are totally only in it for the models and 100% don't have any sort of creepy nazi fetish and totally won't go into "clean wehrmacht" nazi apologism or hold gross political beliefs.

Not that everyone modeling 1950's choo-choo's is a segregationist who thinks women need to go back to the kitchen, or the moment you build a panzer model you think Hitler had some good ideas, but I'm sure we've all met folk like that.
The loudmouths in most hobby/sports communities in the US skew old, suburban and conservative :negative: Between model trains and NASCAR, hooo boy.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I get that same poo poo with the garage kits I'm into. I generally just ignore the "girl" kits that come out, as the majority are just purile eye candy. Anytime someone does post one though, the otherwise conservative, church-going members of the forum turn into apes and you get pages of "AWOOOOO!!!!! Look at those gazungas, DADDY LIKE!!!!", "WELCOME TO BONERTOWN, POPULATION ME!", "Oh yeah, I'd live to fondle them naughty BITS. DROOLING OVER HERE!! PANT PANT PANT!!!!".

I think the worst was a back issue of Kitbuilders magazine. There was a feature on an asian import, basically a very young zombified girl, dressed in "daddys favourite outfit" read: maid outfit, and sporting a bare tit. The guy who did the paintup wouldn't shut up about how saucy and hot the kit was. Barf, just barf.

galliumscan
Dec 25, 2006

Dammit, Jim, I'm an engineer, not a doctor! No, wait...

Nettle Soup posted:

I think this is my granddad again, or one of his brothers.
My grandma, demonstrating how to hold while somebody winds up the motor. He took various girls with him and covered them in mud and stood them 50 feet up in aircraft hangers and such, she was the one who didn't throw the car-jack at him and stomp away. It was their Golden Wedding on the 2nd :toot:

These are really cool images.

Most of the pictured planes are of the "free flight" classification, and most of those powered with rubber motors. Others in that class include stretched towline gliders (one image), and gas-powered (I didn't see one of those). Much smaller hand-launch gliders were also flown in this class. The rubber, gas, and hand-launch aircraft would be launched to climb in a tight spiral, then transition to wide turns (typically in the opposite direction) to catch thermals that have blown across the field; the thermals would be detected by the contestant by watching a crepe streamer attached to a tall pole near the flight line. As was mentioned, the bigger models would carry an escapement timer which would de-trim the aircraft after some time so it hopefully wouldn't be lost in big air. One of the really cool aerodynamic features of the rubber aircraft (as you can see in these photos) was the large, folding prop, which would nestle along the forward fuselage after the rubber motor wound down, to reduce drag on the plane.

One picture with two smaller planes were "control line" aircraft, with a pair of wires which exited the wing, to be held by the pilot some 30 or 50 or so feet away. The plane would fly in circles around the pilot (gas powered), who controlled the aircraft with a handle which could pull on one wire more than the other. The wires attached to a bell crank in the plane, which controlled the elevator and, in these stunt -capable craft, flaps on the trailing edge of the wing.

I flew radio controlled planes probably not that long after these pictures were made. But these guys were the real aerodynamicists of their era. Thanks for bring back great memories.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Nebakenezzer posted:

I was thinking you should add some sort of Buffet restaurant and say only people 45 and over are allowed inside as a peace offering.
Put "keep off the drat grass!" signs everywhere?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Mess with reactionary minds? MORE BIKE LANES! Pedestrian-only streets! Full marxism, blacks and whites living together! Massively subsidized rail transport!!! (ok model train dudes are usually ok with this!)

The sidewalks didn't look quite right so I gave them a quick wash and then a quicker drybrushing, I think they look and blend way better now.

Before

After

Any painting/weathering tips are most welcome! And also for real if any of you goons needs anything simple laser cut just let me know I'd be happy to toss something little or flat in an envelope. Even just something simple like a square of cobblestone street to sit a model on, what ever. About the finest detail I can do is half a mm, and the laser its self destroys about a quarter mm of material (which I tried to compensate for in my joints but still have obvious joints uhg!)

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jan 6, 2015

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

What's catching my eye is that building on the corner.

Dog houses? Hell yeah
Compound slops? Oh yeh.
Ivy? unnff
Arch windows? Oh baby.

Also, I only just now looked at the scissors and flashlight and realized how drat tiny everything is :stare:

Also, as for weathering tips, I saw something cool done, but I can't find the link for the life of me. (I'm sure plenty of people have done this, but I don't really do the model train thing. I remember seeing this for a modern wargames diorama)
Someone had slightly cut into their street, I think, and put in a dark black, almost an ink. It was supposed to emulate the marks when traffic signals are put in after the fact and they put the induction loop in. Like so.

I would also say using a green or light green wash in the crevices of your cobble to simulate moss/grass growth in low traffic ares. Maybe a light, light airbrushing of darker grey/black in the middle of the traffic lanes? Or lighter grey where the tires would hit. Something to simulate traffic. Or a small section of irregular cobble where a repair had to be done with different sized and/or colored blocks.

I don't know if that's what you had in mind when you asked for tips, but.... v:shobon:v Everything looks awesome, so there's that.

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jan 6, 2015

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Rotten Cookies posted:

I would also say using a green or light green wash in the crevices of your cobble to simulate moss/grass growth in low traffic ares. Maybe a light, light airbrushing of darker grey/black in the middle of the traffic lanes? Or lighter grey where the tires would hit. Something to simulate traffic. Or a small section of irregular cobble where a repair had to be done with different sized and/or colored blocks.

Replicate the ripples asphalt sometimes gets near intersections in hot climates.

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.

Baronjutter posted:

Any painting/weathering tips are most welcome! And also for real if any of you goons needs anything simple laser cut just let me know I'd be happy to toss something little or flat in an envelope. Even just something simple like a square of cobblestone street to sit a model on, what ever. About the finest detail I can do is half a mm, and the laser its self destroys about a quarter mm of material (which I tried to compensate for in my joints but still have obvious joints uhg!)

Dilute some dirt/sand pigments in lots of water and airbrush the mixture onto the sidewalks' sides; the water will keep them at the crevices and will give them a nice used look.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

galliumscan posted:

These are really cool images.

Most of the pictured planes are of the "free flight" classification, and most of those powered with rubber motors. Others in that class include stretched towline gliders (one image), and gas-powered (I didn't see one of those). Much smaller hand-launch gliders were also flown in this class. The rubber, gas, and hand-launch aircraft would be launched to climb in a tight spiral, then transition to wide turns (typically in the opposite direction) to catch thermals that have blown across the field; the thermals would be detected by the contestant by watching a crepe streamer attached to a tall pole near the flight line. As was mentioned, the bigger models would carry an escapement timer which would de-trim the aircraft after some time so it hopefully wouldn't be lost in big air. One of the really cool aerodynamic features of the rubber aircraft (as you can see in these photos) was the large, folding prop, which would nestle along the forward fuselage after the rubber motor wound down, to reduce drag on the plane.

One picture with two smaller planes were "control line" aircraft, with a pair of wires which exited the wing, to be held by the pilot some 30 or 50 or so feet away. The plane would fly in circles around the pilot (gas powered), who controlled the aircraft with a handle which could pull on one wire more than the other. The wires attached to a bell crank in the plane, which controlled the elevator and, in these stunt -capable craft, flaps on the trailing edge of the wing.

I flew radio controlled planes probably not that long after these pictures were made. But these guys were the real aerodynamicists of their era. Thanks for bring back great memories.

You're welcome. :) I watched my granddad fly a little Co2 model once, but he's mostly writing articles about folding rubber and how to make props at the moment so that's all I really have, if you want pictures of winders or props...

Have a little indoor model.

And this dude again, I didn't realise they were different pictures. :v:

This is cool, but I really should have attempted to clean up the neg...

And rummaging through my phone pics:

These must belong to one of his friends, as the numbers aren't his.

I take a lot like this at swap-meets, or I thought I did anyway. (Not his stall, dunno who the dude is, but they looked cool)

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jan 6, 2015

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Baronjutter posted:

Mess with reactionary minds? MORE BIKE LANES! Pedestrian-only streets! Full marxism, blacks and whites living together! Massively subsidized rail transport!!! (ok model train dudes are usually ok with this!)

Now I want to build a train table with interracial couples and dudes walking along holding hands, post pics on some model train forum, and see how long it takes people to notice. Maybe include a Synagogue and Mosque but not church, just to cover all my bases.

MapperGentleman
Dec 15, 2012

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Now I want to build a train table with interracial couples and dudes walking along holding hands, post pics on some model train forum, and see how long it takes people to notice. Maybe include a Synagogue and Mosque but not church, just to cover all my bases.

Could you imagine taking that to train shows in the Bible Belt? It's bad enough here in the upper Midwest.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I know, trolling that crowd sounds unbelievably easy.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The local model shop that does trains as well as other kits has a number of sets of figures marked "'Sexy Scenes". How do your grogs feel about these?

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Ughhhhh there's a few small manufacturers that make "sexy rockabilly girl" figures for the muscle car/hot rod modelers. There's also the grid girl figures, but to be fair that's actually a thing. Still creepy IMO.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Well I mean this stuff specifically, after googling a bit.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

Arquinsiel posted:

Jesus Christ.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've never seen a european layout that didn't include a few of those figures, literally never, they love that poo poo. European layouts often like to include people peeing or pooping in bushes or alleys too. Meanwhile on an american forum I visit a guy got a warning for posting a seedy strip club from his run-down urban layout. There was nothing R rated about it, it was like any lovely strip club from the outside, but the basic existence of such a business had mods telling him to warn about adult content because model trains should always be FAMILY FRIENDLY.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That was my gut instinct. Thanks for confirming.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Arquinsiel posted:

The local model shop that does trains as well as other kits has a number of sets of figures marked "'Sexy Scenes". How do your grogs feel about these?

Not good. I know from this modelling web site I check now and then that many people are into busts (no pun intended, the head and shoulders of a Waffen-SS soldiers, or famous military commanders) and that there is this sub-genre of sexy women statues - usually with a old timey motif. As somebody who spent quite a bit of time building an old cold war bomber and the previous year spent a lot of time building a model AMC Gremlin, I'm not in a position to pass judgement on what people spend time on. That said, both those things leave me cold - I just don't understand the appeal.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

goddamn

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Not my modeling, from a guy I know's N scale layout. He's insane with TINY details.

HAY BALES!

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Baronjutter posted:

Not my modeling, from a guy I know's N scale layout. He's insane with TINY details.

HAY BALES!

Now that's sexy.

MapperGentleman
Dec 15, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

There was nothing R rated about it, it was like any lovely strip club from the outside, but the basic existence of such a business had mods telling him to warn about adult content because model trains should always be FAMILY FRIENDLY.

Man, the strip club is the best part of any layout. Those guys have no respect for their art.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

One thing I can't get over with most train layouts I've seen is the fact that the buildings are beautiful and realistic, the trains are detailed and realistic, the trackbed, bridges, scenery, ships, are all very realistic.

Then, gently caress it drop some Matchbox cars on it.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Not even Matchbox, sometimes they're cheap plastic shells.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

There's some super nice vehicles out there, it's just that the selection vanishes to nearly nothing the farther you get from "mid century" and picks up a bit for modern.

These are all N scale so about thumb or smaller sized.

The problem isn't just selection, but price. Any one of those vehicles is probably $15-20, sometimes more. Yet you can get a whole train car for that much. Also a lot of the nicer vehicles are metal kits, meaning you have to paint and assemble them like a warham which can be a huge pain in the rear end. Glazing is also often a problem.

Or for a few bucks you can order like 100 lovely zero detail plastic cars from china.

Also there's some guys doing cars on shapeways and which a lot of work they can be made to look good but they still have that 3d printed look to them.

But if you want say, early century european cars you HAVE to go shapeways. I can't wait until 3d printing gets just a touch better and the price comes down.

I really like this guy, he's also made these texture wheels. You pave your street with clay then roll a wheel on it to give it a texture, he even has ones specially designed to follow tram tracks.

He also started getting away from purely pre-war stuff and has been doing some 60's and 70's stuff

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jan 7, 2015

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Arquinsiel posted:

ugh, 0/10, nudists are unrealistically thin and attractive, would not buy

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

N scale fishing pole, gently caress.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

MapperGentleman posted:

Man, the strip club is the best part of any layout. Those guys have no respect for their art.

Beetlejuice approves!

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
you* are in command now, captain nerda

*me

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Wow, that's awesome.

I want one.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Baronjutter posted:

I know a TON of railfans/model railroaders who detest Amtrak with all of their being :iiam:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Boomer The Cannon posted:

I know a TON of railfans/model railroaders who detest Amtrak with all of their being :iiam:

Plenty of Amtrak passengers feel the same way.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

They only hate it because it got rid of all their pet favourite paint schemes for the railroads various passenger services. Also do NOT talk to train people about graffiti. Unless they are really into the modern era they will go full on fascist and say graffiti artists deserve the death penalty. I've heard quite a few say they are more attracted to the modern era but simply refuse to model graffiti of any sort because it's a sign of how out of control and crime ridden society is today. Railroad police and yard security should shoot to kill and fine the family to repaint.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Jonny Nox posted:

One thing I can't get over with most train layouts I've seen is the fact that the buildings are beautiful and realistic, the trains are detailed and realistic, the trackbed, bridges, scenery, ships, are all very realistic.

Then, gently caress it drop some Matchbox cars on it.
http://youtu.be/GCOKpps0vhM This belongs to one of our club members. Every automobile on that train is metal, and each autorack weights 2-3 lbs. easily.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

http://youtu.be/GCOKpps0vhM This belongs to one of our club members. Every automobile on that train is metal, and each autorack weights 2-3 lbs. easily.

Jesus how many hundred or thousands of dollars worth of cars is that? Also weather that bridge! One good thing about doing the modern era is not actually having to put anything detailed inside your autoracks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XsV0kPlqgQ

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Baronjutter posted:

They only hate it because it got rid of all their pet favourite paint schemes for the railroads various passenger services. Also do NOT talk to train people about graffiti. Unless they are really into the modern era they will go full on fascist and say graffiti artists deserve the death penalty. I've heard quite a few say they are more attracted to the modern era but simply refuse to model graffiti of any sort because it's a sign of how out of control and crime ridden society is today. Railroad police and yard security should shoot to kill and fine the family to repaint.
Maybe I've just found the right model railroad club, then, but some of our members love painting graffiti:

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Baronjutter posted:

Jesus how many hundred or thousands of dollars worth of cars is that? Also weather that bridge! One good thing about doing the modern era is not actually having to put anything detailed inside your autoracks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XsV0kPlqgQ
I know he got a deal, but gently caress, there's got to be at least 10-15 cars per autorack, and 20+ cars on that train. It's impressive to look at in person.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Baronjutter posted:

I think when the Republicans pick their presidential nominee in 2016, you know how to create a scandal

AH HA :spergin:

Did VW make the Microbus and the Beetle when AMC was making the Gremlin?!

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jan 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Baronjutter posted:

But... graffiti is older than trains by several thousand years. It isn't even slightly modern.