Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Didn't they do a huge checkhov's gun moment by saying that she only needs to have his spinal fluid? seems to me they put that in there so that she could somehow get that, but not kill him. He flat out says she does not really need to eat him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Right, but a quadriplegic protagonist isn't much good in this dog-eat-Titan world. If his spinal Titan juiciness is eaten, his regeneration will presumably fail as well. You're right that it does seem to be specifically highlighted for some reason. Maybe it can be tapped and shared?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

No mention of the fact that her father chose to turn her into a titan designed for combat? So there are specifically different types, and they can somehow manufacture different kinds of specific serums?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

change my name posted:

No mention of the fact that her father chose to turn her into a titan designed for combat? So there are specifically different types, and they can somehow manufacture different kinds of specific serums?
Looks like he grabbed the wrong serum then, she turned into that titan always cradling its beer belly.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Jackard posted:

Looks like he grabbed the wrong serum then, she turned into that titan always cradling its beer belly.
Selected based on its eating ability.

"Get in mah belly!"

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
She turns into goku, she was the hairy titan all along!

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

badjohny posted:

Didn't they do a huge checkhov's gun moment by saying that she only needs to have his spinal fluid? seems to me they put that in there so that she could somehow get that, but not kill him. He flat out says she does not really need to eat him.

You need your spinal fluid to live, so it's not like Eren could have his completely drained and merely be crippled.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Nelson Mandingo posted:

You need your spinal fluid to live, so it's not like Eren could have his completely drained and merely be crippled.

but does the author know that, he's the one who brought it up as significant from just eating Eren.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

forbidden lesbian posted:

but does the author know that, he's the one who brought it up as significant from just eating Eren.

Eh maybe not. Obviously this series takes liberties. For instance using 3DM gear would be impossible from a design standpoint and even using it would cause you to black out or be unable to function from the intense speeds. My favorite theory (that this chapter further reinforces) is the idea that all the humans in the setting are genetically engineered and some like the Ackermans more than others. They were the king's guard and warriors so it would make sense that they needed more physical power. Getting almost all of the humans living in the walls to be based around a single ethnic group is almost impossible if they were just escaping the titans. So Eren somehow miraculously surviving getting his spinal fluid removed would "make sense." If that even ends up the case.

I think that spinal fluid comment was just explaining where the power of the titans is physically located in the body.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jan 9, 2015

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011

Beef Waifu posted:

There is so much of the story that is interwoven between Eren and Historia that either of them dying is a dumb thing to do, especially in the case of Eren.

Agreeing with this, we still don't know why Grisha injected him with the ability rather than keeping it for himself, and Historia has no need to go to the basement. Plus he's at a huge turning point for his character arc. Historia dying or eating Eren would be a waste after her relationship build-up with Ymir who told her to live for herself. Taking on someone else's dream and the burden of saving humanity is the opposite of that.

I'm really enjoying the character parallels between Eren and Historia; it's been one of redeeming features of this arc for me. If one of them does die it'll probably be Historia though, much as I don't want it; her farewell seemed more like closure for her than for Eren, and she would be at odds with a sizable chunk of the main cast if she ate him.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I think that spinal fluid comment was just explaining where the power of the titans is physically located in the body.

Yeah, the size of the titan weakness matching up with the human nervous system was brought up a while back when Hange was investigating Connie's village, but there were still some people afterwards who were wondering why the titan who ate Eren in Trost didn't become a shifter. This was probably to clear up the confusion about what needs to be absorbed by the titan in order to become a shifter for readers who still hadn't made the connection.

yellowyams fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jan 9, 2015

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Man, it was surreal seeing the hot-headed anime protagonist who first turned into a rage titan while almost dead in a titan's belly, accept his fate.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
This "people not of the default ethnic group of pseudo-germany" thing gives further credence to my theory that the Ackerman's are Jewish. It's possible we might go the whole comic without anything specifically refuting it!

Wait, so is Levi actually a member of the Ackerman bloodline, or was he just an orphan raised by Kenny and took his name.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Dude, we literally got Levi's last name recently and if the thing about there being like a power in the family is true, then he's definitely blood. The problem though, is this is not the focus right now so all we have is that he shares a last name.

Cute n Popular
Oct 12, 2012
I'm guessing Levi is the bastard child of Kenny's sister.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

So is Historia going to eat Eren? I don't think so. The reason being that Eren is so willingly able to sacrifice himself which he feels will save humanity. It seems as if Eren has "given up" and anticipating Historia to "finish him" for the sake of humanity. Obviously we aren't given the whole story here. We don't know 100% what exactly happened. All we know is that Historia has turned into a Titan and most likely will be killed. Don't know why you guys are bringing Annie into the fold but whatever. If anything it should be Ymir that you should be focusing on. I hope to see her soon.

PS I think the whole thing with the Ackermans is BS.

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
I'm no doctor, but does spinal fluid regenerate? So possibly there's a way to give every titan a cure.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Is it really out of the question that they might be able to do a spinal tap?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Monocled Falcon posted:

I'm no doctor, but does spinal fluid regenerate? So possibly there's a way to give every titan a cure.

CSF definitely does regenerate, and it also leaks out of each and every one of our spines every day. But removing the pressure of the CSF in the brain is bad. Spinal taps work because its a really small amount. No idea about a cure because we have no idea what its vector is.

Wait its space rabies isn't it?

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jan 10, 2015

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
If CSP is found in the cerebrum as well as the spine, you should be able to become a titan by eating a shifter's brain, too. If they wring out Eren's brain like a sponge there should be enough titan juice for everyone.

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011
Levi set up the squad so that it was filled with people Eren cared about in the hopes of provoking him into using the ability that belonged to the Reiss. They are currently heading straight towards him and a huge titan, also he now has the ability to speak again and his ability is apparently voice powered. Maybe he will activate something new this time, and it'll bring him out of his funk and make him realize he can still use the ability to solve the titan problem but in a different way from the Reiss. I think there must be multiple families who can harness the ability in different ways, otherwise Reiner and Bertolt wouldn't have needed to bring it back to their village. I'm not sure how things can progress if Eren doesn't get some of his mojo back because at this point it seems like he will leap into Historia's mouth if she doesn't try to eat him.

Since they're putting focus on the Ackerman superpowers again, it's also possible Mikasa could display them by single-handedly deflecting the gently caress-off powerful titan while superspeed carrying Eren out of there. The question is how will their superiors react to the situation? Wouldn't they side with Rod and agree to have Historia eat Eren if it meant eliminating the titans? Or would they even trust him? And if they didn't, how would they handle Historia, who is already a titan? I don't think they'll feed Annie to her, it still felt like there was more left to her character (and all the other currently living shifters), so she needs to have a proper return before the end of the story.

forhorglingrads
Aug 14, 2003

Squidster posted:

If Historia eats Eren, Mikasa's gonna kill her.

I doubt Eren will die, because his constant dumb courage has been the core of the series, but if he does die, Mikasa will have to stop being a core character. One character being voted off the island I can see, but two?

I'm predicting that a totally sweet Titan fight will break out, and Eren will end up trapping Historia underground. They'll have to journey out to find Team Traitor and feed one of them to the captive Historia to restore her humanity.

EDIT: Wait, poo poo - I have it. They're going to feed her Annie.

Amazing chapter, I think the Annie guess is genius... can't wait for next chapter. Also I agree that Erens friends will come in and something will happen so that Eren gets his mojo back, and fights Historia, and he will be able to subdue her somehow.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I actually want her to eat him because I would love to see the direction isayama goes afterwards and how he'd write his way out of it. The alternative, well, I feel is too predictable and likely to happen, and I hope it doesn't precisely because it's been flagged so hard both with this drawn out scene and the scouts enroute to save Eren. Also, actual death of the protagonist a good deal before the end of the series and another character picking up the torch, if done successfully, would be amazing.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Invictus posted:

Also, actual death of the protagonist a good deal before the end of the series and another character picking up the torch, if done successfully, would be amazing.

Finally Jean get's his big break to really shine.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...
A couple of things that I noted reading this chapter:

1) Mikasa is asian, right? So she is Asian AND an Ackerman?? But Kenny's grandpa said those were two different minority groups, and she just happens to be both? Anybody else think this is an odd/interesting coincidence?

2) Levi is definitely the bastard kid that Kenny refers to his sister keeping.

3) Eren can command titans... so I could see him baiting historia turning into one, and then commanding her to do something else, like eat her dad or Kenny (or both), though at this point it doesn't look like that was really his plan since he genuinely seems like he has given up. However, I wouldn't put it past the rest of the squad distracting Historia. Levi or Mikasa then yell to Eren to use his power to make Historia stop fighting, so Eren comes to his senses after seeing a couple of his friends die (probably Jean + someone else) while trying to fight Historia without killing her.

4) Based on the timeline of Kenny's grandpa's story, it is very unlikely that the memory wipes have been going back much further than a few generations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

It all comes to the same, the reason his dad stole the powers. Was it for a good reason? If Eren can access to his dad's memory of why he did it, and maybe see that the king didn't want to use the Titan's power to stop the invasion because maybe it was risky because "reasons", etc, then he would understand nor his had nor him were really the ones to blame of so many deaths, and then recover the will to fight and to survive.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Eren has so little agency its getting ridiculous. I dont like it at all no sir. It was fine when he could bang his bleeding fist in the ground in impotent rage, but now he went full beta "i guess dyin's fine.."

coathat
May 21, 2007

Have these people never heard of lying?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Gullible teens.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

A plotline I could honestly see happening is Historia eats Eren, Historia gets the memories and will of the first titan king and then pushes the reset button on everyone. Rod gloats this was going to happen all along. Mikasa, Kenny, and Levi are the only ones who are left and have to journey to the basement as a last ditch effort.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
If nothing else, Eren dying would be interesting for Mikasa's character development. She could have a scene saying she legitimately wishes they just died together being eaten by Chuckles.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
Historia eats Eren and then vomits him back up.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Jackard posted:

Mmm delicious reiss cakes.

Reiss' pieces.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
I would be happy if Eren just went full rogue or something.

Let him take Mikasa and head out for the Titan village.

either that or let him die. I'm tired of a year of Eren doing poo poo

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The main character is not going to die except maybe at the end

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Perhaps this is the end!

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Red Suit posted:

Perhaps this is the end!

After Hannes death and Reiner's betrayal I would think so.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Wild Horses posted:

Eren has so little agency its getting ridiculous. I dont like it at all no sir. It was fine when he could bang his bleeding fist in the ground in impotent rage, but now he went full beta "i guess dyin's fine.."
Odd complaint for a Rutger Hauer avatar

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Turns out this is actually a harem anime. All these women want Eren inside them.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I wonder if the vague "there is a reason I can't turn into a Titan!" from the King, which actually went unexplained, will be a clue for something unexpected to happen in the next chapter. Maybe in the chaos of the fight he gets stabbed with the syringe and transforms in some horrible monster which interrupts everything or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Jose posted:

The main character is not going to die except maybe at the end
Aw, why not?