Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Ah, I understand it now. When I googled it, none of the initial pictures showed the holder. So, it's a total-replacement holder system instead of the brass nut with bowden bushing? Seems pretty cool. I got my idea for the bowden bushing clips from a YouTube video where somebody printed some clips to stop backlash, but I figured that standard metal shims of some sort would work, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Nill posted:

What could be happening is that layer is actually coming out slightly too tall.

Printrbot uses SAE ACME screws which means the conversion to metric layer heights usually falls into microstepping territory and sometimes even rounding errors.

In lieu of having a perfectly tuned driver and motor, you can sidestep this issue entirely by using layer heights divisible by whole steps (instead of microsteps). For the 16tpi screw that ends up being 7.9375 microns per step (on a 1.8 degree 200 step motor)

That would give you some compatible layer heights in mm of...
etc...

This avoids both the possible skipped microsteps & rounding errors from imperial/metric conversion.

Try one of those heights and see if the symptom persists.

The alternative to getting fiddly with exact layer heights is to switch out to a metric screw with 1 or 2 mm thread pitch to get even 5 or 10 micron whole steps.

holy gently caress

This seems specific enough that Im going to try it. Running at .2 right now so ill try .1905

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!

Geirskogul posted:

Ah, I understand it now. When I googled it, none of the initial pictures showed the holder. So, it's a total-replacement holder system instead of the brass nut with bowden bushing? Seems pretty cool. I got my idea for the bowden bushing clips from a YouTube video where somebody printed some clips to stop backlash, but I figured that standard metal shims of some sort would work, too.

Yup your idea will work fine I'm sure. Just letting you (others) know of alternatives.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

w00tmonger posted:

holy gently caress

This seems specific enough that Im going to try it. Running at .2 right now so ill try .1905

As a Simple Metal owner, it works better than .2.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

so I have a different problem thats developed. I seem to have a clog..... trying the cold pull method and it doesnt seem to be working. Im wondering if there was an impurity in the filament or something as I cant really push more filament through at ~240

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

w00tmonger posted:

so I have a different problem thats developed. I seem to have a clog..... trying the cold pull method and it doesnt seem to be working. Im wondering if there was an impurity in the filament or something as I cant really push more filament through at ~240

Clogs can burn and carbonize which can block the nozzle. Acetone will melt ABS and Lye will melt PLA, those and a needle thin wire should unclog any nozzle after you've unscrewed it.

If you can unscrew the nozzle and feed filament all the way through without it then yeah it's the nozzle.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

High E guitar string or a brass bristle brush is what I use to poke the nozzle.

That said I haven't figured out a way to clean a gunked up nozzle. Even soaking in acetone leaves a lot of poo poo in there.

foosel
Apr 2, 2010

nogthree posted:

Astroprint supports makerware and sailfish gcode - https://astroprint.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/categories/200170999-Creating-your-own-AstroBox-Raspberry-Pi-and-pcDuino

It's like octoprint, but with free cloud slicing and a web interface that links into their web service.

In fact, it's a fork of OctoPrint and at least in the published sources of their changes to my code I couldn't find anything that hinted at support for an additional x3g layer and adjusted pyserial module. Have you run AstroPrint with a Makerbot(clone) and can confirm that it works or have you just heard that it should?

BTW, I've said it in the quoted issue and the FAQ but I'll say it again: I'll support anyone with access to a test machine to get Makerbot support into OctoPrint proper, but I won't get myself one of those machines (which I'd need to do in order to properly debug the implementation) in order to do it myself (and give that horrible company an additional sales argument with which to rip off their customers). This is something the community needs to do its part in too.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
This is really cool, a 3D printer than can print circuits as part of an object: http://venturebeat.com/2015/01/05/autodesk-unveils-project-wire-software-that-may-someday-let-anyone-3d-print-electronics/

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Just gotta wait 20 years for the patent to expire

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

foosel posted:

In fact, it's a fork of OctoPrint and at least in the published sources of their changes to my code I couldn't find anything that hinted at support for an additional x3g layer and adjusted pyserial module. Have you run AstroPrint with a Makerbot(clone) and can confirm that it works or have you just heard that it should?

BTW, I've said it in the quoted issue and the FAQ but I'll say it again: I'll support anyone with access to a test machine to get Makerbot support into OctoPrint proper, but I won't get myself one of those machines (which I'd need to do in order to properly debug the implementation) in order to do it myself (and give that horrible company an additional sales argument with which to rip off their customers). This is something the community needs to do its part in too.

What do you want, to be able to remote into my laptop that is hooked via USB to my Flashforge? I can get you access and it is on and dedicated to it 24/7.

I have an rPi as well and test any code you want. I'm a software QA guy in fact, but I'm not a 3D printing expert by any means, I'm a beginner to gcode and things.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Seeing New Matter at CES today renewed my interest in learning how to model for 3D printing. A guy I spoke with today emphasized their printer's support for gcode, so I think now might be a good time to experiment with software.

Can you guys recommend decent modelling software that won't kill my wallet? Free is preferable of course but I wouldn't mind spending up to let's say $50? I just want something I can start playing around with in preparation for the printer to arrive in May or April.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Sketchup or Blender are the hobbiest's choice right now.

I think you can get a sub-$100 Blender license if you're a student or something, you'd have to look into it.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I've been fooling with SolidWorks, and I have a question: do other programs like Blender or Sketchup have similar "dimensional constraint" figures? Like, can I make a cylinder with a hole through it and specify the cylinder and the hole's dimensions that translate to the generated stl, or do I have to gently caress with scaling after the fact?

I ask, because SolidWorks is nice, but sometimes I want to make something that's difficult to begin with a sketch, y'know?

foosel
Apr 2, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

What do you want, to be able to remote into my laptop that is hooked via USB to my Flashforge? I can get you access and it is on and dedicated to it 24/7.

Thanks, but no, this is not what I mean here (and I'd need actual physical access, everything else would just be a bloody pain to work with).

If people want this, people should code it up and I'll be happy to lend a hand where necessary (eg by answering questions about how to best do x and which part of the code to look at). Crap, I even am rewriting the whole comm layer (see the commRefactoring branch) to make other communication ways easier to plug in to make stuff like this easier for everyone interested. There are certainly more people than me capable to work on that, and open source doesn't mean that the original author does have to do everything themselves, in fact contributions are welcome with open arms. So, no, I can not create that adaptation myself, I'd need physical access first of all and I have a back log that will keep me busy for the next years already.

I feel the pain of people like you who are somewhat caught in a cross fire here without even having bought anything from Makerbot, but I've also seen how Makerbot treats open source maintainers who try to add value to their machines (ask the author of Cura) so it's very hard to justify the work that needs to go into that.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

ante posted:

Sketchup or Blender are the hobbiest's choice right now.

Both of these are great suggestions. I don't really like Sketchup's license anymore but I just use the old Google version. I just made a really complicated thing in Sketchup that attaches to an existing object and had Shapeways print it for me(couldn't make it with an FDM, too many overhangs/undercuts and I don't have dual extrusion) and it worked perfectly. I was really surprised that I got everything right and none of the dimensions or scaling was off.

quote:

I think you can get a sub-$100 Blender license if you're a student or something, you'd have to look into it.

Blender is free, were you thinking of something else?

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Geirskogul posted:

I've been fooling with SolidWorks, and I have a question: do other programs like Blender or Sketchup have similar "dimensional constraint" figures? Like, can I make a cylinder with a hole through it and specify the cylinder and the hole's dimensions that translate to the generated stl, or do I have to gently caress with scaling after the fact?

I ask, because SolidWorks is nice, but sometimes I want to make something that's difficult to begin with a sketch, y'know?

Inventor Fusion is probably the best I've come across for this. What you're referring to is parametric modeling

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Just something that isn't 100% parametric like SolidWorks.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Solidworks has mesh manipulation if that's what you mean?

Not really sure what you're trying to accomplish, but solidworks can probably do it.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Brother and sister :3:

Afterdark
Sep 27, 2006
Does anyone have any experience with the SeeMeCNC - Rostock MAX v2?

I have been leaning towards the Max a for a while, everything I have been able to find about it showers it with glowing praise with the quality of the kits to the support from the community and the seller. The only thing that puts me slightly of it is the price. If I get this printer this will be a one off purchase with money constrains and such like but I like a buffer for parts so my budget of £1k will not leave much room.

The over kit I am considering is a kossel from think3dprint3d.com, I helped build a kossel recently and currently calibrating it, also helped with a Mendel90 build in the past so I have a good idea with the hardware and querks with these modals and think3dprint3d.com has the option to ship with a e3d V6 so that's a plus. The price is nice as well as that gives me more cash to spend on all those bits and bobs needed during the build and operation and I can ask people to print parts that failed unlike the max.

I really Like the Max, the pictures of the prints show top quality parts and I like how the kits built but not seeing one in person makes me reserved about it but I found a reputable UK seller so I have support from this end if there is something wrong with the parts.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I've just built a Rostock Max v2 and sofar, I'm very happy. It's my first 3D printer, so there's lots to learn, but I've been able to print some decent stuff.

Build was relatively easy. They say 20 hours and it took me about 18 hours until I had first successful print.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Geirskogul posted:

I'm not sure what you're trying to do, is it that you want to do a constant scaling of the whole part to adjust for print shrinkage, or you want to make it so you can make different sized parts quickly?

Solidworks (or any other parametric modeling software) can do either easily. There should be a "Scale" option where you apply a size factor to the entire part. Another option is to use user-defined parameters, like setting "thickness=2.5 cm" and "height=thickness/2" or something like that. Changing the value for "thickness" will automatically update the height, and so on. The specific implementation will vary depending on your program.

For best results, you'll want to properly apply physical or geometric constraints to your model; if you want a hole centered in the part, either use midpoint constraints, or define dimensions with equations like above, or use construction geometry, rather than a constant value. Otherwise, changing your part size might change where your hole is located on the part.

I'm also curious what is difficult to begin with a sketch but is easier with some other method.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Hey, the OP is old as poo poo and I didn't see anything on the last few pages so:

I'm interested in building a 3D printer from a DIY kit. Does anybody know what the best value/easiest to build is right now? I'm mainly looking at the PrintrBot Simple Makers kit and the Mini Kossel on Makergeeks. Cheaper is better, but if the Mini Kossel blows the other one out of the water I'm willing to consider it.

Two thing to keep in mind - I am not especially skilled at building things. I put my last couple PCs together, but that's about the extent of my experience. Most of what I read online says that won't be a problem, but I'm a little worried that I'm going to get in a situation where I mess up a belt or something and have no idea where to go from there. Second thing is, I'm also looking for a kit that would allow me to switch out the extruder for a system that would let me extrude chocolate as well. I've seen a guy do this with a bike pump and a syringe, but I'm not sure if the base makes a huge difference.

Thanks, sorry for the idiot newbie babby questions.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I built my simple from the kit and it wasn't bad. I think building it helps you troubleshoot when something goes wrong too.

Afterdark
Sep 27, 2006

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I've just built a Rostock Max v2 and sofar, I'm very happy. It's my first 3D printer, so there's lots to learn, but I've been able to print some decent stuff.

Build was relatively easy. They say 20 hours and it took me about 18 hours until I had first successful print.

18 hours is very good for a first printer, spent far longer on a kossel, I like long build times, I find it fun but this kossel I've been helping with seems to me like braking down in spectacular ways. The Max v2 seems well planned out in its kit. This is my first 3D printer that I own as well, how are you finding the quality of prints compared to over prints from over printers if you seen any.

torpedan
Jul 17, 2003
Lets make Uncle Ben proud
A good proxy to look at for level of difficulty for assembling a printer would be to search for the how long it takes most people to assemble the printer. Some printers can easily take more than 20 hours to assemble which can be a daunting task for someone who has not taken on assembling something on that time scale before.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

DarkHorse posted:

I'm not sure what you're trying to do, is it that you want to do a constant scaling of the whole part to adjust for print shrinkage, or you want to make it so you can make different sized parts quickly?

Solidworks (or any other parametric modeling software) can do either easily. There should be a "Scale" option where you apply a size factor to the entire part. Another option is to use user-defined parameters, like setting "thickness=2.5 cm" and "height=thickness/2" or something like that. Changing the value for "thickness" will automatically update the height, and so on. The specific implementation will vary depending on your program.

For best results, you'll want to properly apply physical or geometric constraints to your model; if you want a hole centered in the part, either use midpoint constraints, or define dimensions with equations like above, or use construction geometry, rather than a constant value. Otherwise, changing your part size might change where your hole is located on the part.

I'm also curious what is difficult to begin with a sketch but is easier with some other method.

I was more talking about maybe mesh cloud software that also has constraints for hole sizes etc. I don't want to import a figure or something and have to figure out the math to scale it's base diameter just to figure out if a hole I made in the base is going to be 3mm or not. The last software I was used to, rhino, made this quite difficult to constrain and scale, but that was way back in 2005-6.

Afterdark posted:

Does anyone have any experience with the SeeMeCNC - Rostock MAX v2?

I have been leaning towards the Max a for a while, everything I have been able to find about it showers it with glowing praise with the quality of the kits to the support from the community and the seller. The only thing that puts me slightly of it is the price. If I get this printer this will be a one off purchase with money constrains and such like but I like a buffer for parts so my budget of £1k will not leave much room.

The over kit I am considering is a kossel from think3dprint3d.com, I helped build a kossel recently and currently calibrating it, also helped with a Mendel90 build in the past so I have a good idea with the hardware and querks with these modals and think3dprint3d.com has the option to ship with a e3d V6 so that's a plus. The price is nice as well as that gives me more cash to spend on all those bits and bobs needed during the build and operation and I can ask people to print parts that failed unlike the max.

I really Like the Max, the pictures of the prints show top quality parts and I like how the kits built but not seeing one in person makes me reserved about it but I found a reputable UK seller so I have support from this end if there is something wrong with the parts.

I built a Rostock Max v2 a week ago or so, and I've been really happy. Just remember to square the towers. I didn't, and while most prints were nearly perfect out of the gate, larger prints that used the areas of the bed between the towers had adhesion/squishing problems because the towers weren't nicely square. That's the only thing I can think of that isn't stressed enough in the manual.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Welp it looks like one of the heating resistors on the stock hotend in my Rostock Max V2 has failed. It takes a little longer to heat up and the hot-end now has trouble maintaining temperature when the layer fans kick on.

Looks like I will be doing the heater cartridge mod... For the uninformed: Replacing the resistors with a standard 40watt heater cartridge is a popular mod for the stock hotend (http://youtu.be/Fdb3nyu29ko). I had originally intended to do this while building the printer, but USPS managed to loose the package. Didn't feel like waiting so I went ahead with the stock resistors.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The stock resistors will fail if there's an air bubble in the RTV. It creates a hot spot that cracks. Heater cartridges are better anyway. My e3d v6 heats up to 245 in less than a minute, usually under 40 seconds.

I have a question, though. Where do I edit how high I can manually set the hotend temperature? I edited configuration.h so I can set the hotend up to more than 240 with mattercontrol, but the LCD controls still limit me to 240.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 12, 2015

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Geirskogul posted:

The stock resistors will fail if there's an air bubble in the RTV. It creates a hot spot that cracks. Heater cartridges are better anyway. My e3d v6 heats up to 245 in less than a minute, usually under 40 seconds.

I have a question, though. Where do I edit how high I can manually set the hotend temperature? I edited configuration.h so I can set the hotend up to more than 240 with mattercontrol, but the LCD controls still limit me to 240.

I tried my best to make sure there where zero bubbles in the RTV.... I got several months worth of printing before they failed. Guess I'll use the down time to install the stepper dampeners too :)

How does your E3D do with PLA? I've seen lots of reports of jams with PLA and the E3D...

Look for UI_SET_MAX_EXTRUDER_TEMP in configuration.h That controls the max temp selectable on the LCD.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I haven't printed with PLA yet. I have a roll of natural PLA, but so far it's been exclusively ABS.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
This guy posted a gallery of functional prints to reddit, they are pretty awesome: https://imgur.com/a/Zs9o1

Link to the post.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Those are fantastic. Shuts up the "3d printers only make trinkets" crowd

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

MickRaider posted:

Those are fantastic. Shuts up the "3d printers only make trinkets" crowd

The monitor bracket is amazing, just wish he'd just post them somewhere.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Amazing

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Holy poo poo!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Really incredible! Who would have thought anyone would drink that poo poo.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Bad Munki posted:

Really incredible! Who would have thought anyone would drink that poo poo.

I know right! I was shocked by it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

This man 3D printed a beer holder, the reason why will shock you!