Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

He's got such an adorable baby face! Who could say no to him?

...Now I want to play Mercenaries 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I want to say I remember seeing a trailer for some upcoming movie recently where the plot was that China had secretly embedded hostile country-conquering malware in every electronic device they'd exported to the US and then one day flipped the killswitch that shut everything off in advance of taking over the US because of the debts we owed them or something and they had American collaborators with special armbands and it was all very, very blatantly trying to pander to the frightened-of-foreigners Freeper crowd in much the same way as this game. I cannot honestly imagine why China (or anyone really) would want the hassle of having to manage the US as well as their own country.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Kai Tave posted:

I want to say I remember seeing a trailer for some upcoming movie recently where the plot was that China had secretly embedded hostile country-conquering malware in every electronic device they'd exported to the US and then one day flipped the killswitch that shut everything off in advance of taking over the US because of the debts we owed them or something and they had American collaborators with special armbands and it was all very, very blatantly trying to pander to the frightened-of-foreigners Freeper crowd in much the same way as this game. I cannot honestly imagine why China (or anyone really) would want the hassle of having to manage the US as well as their own country.

Probably the remade Manchurian Candidate movie? (Original Manchurian Candidate movie was about how Chinese brainwashing was being used by evil Americans...)

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Apparently for Kaos home was where the war was

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Speedball posted:

Probably the remade Manchurian Candidate movie? (Original Manchurian Candidate movie was about how Chinese brainwashing was being used by evil Americans...)

Nope! Found it by searching for "movie china shuts down technology," it's called Dragon Day and came out in 2013.

IMDB posted:

When out-of-work engineer Duke Evans and his family try to rebuild their lives in a remote mountain town, their own version of the American Dream is cut short on the day a devastating cyberattack destroys the U.S. as we know it. Every microchip 'Made in China' has been infected with a virus that rapidly shuts down all modern technology. The aftermath happens fast, and as the rule of law, water, and food run out, Duke and his family must use all their wits and the unlikely help of Alonso, an illegal immigrant, to survive this frighteningly realistic scenario.

It has a total score on Rotten Tomatoes of "no reviews for this movie" and no Wikipedia page so I'm assuming it didn't hit the cultural zeitgeist as hard as they hoped to.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
It's astonishing how bad Hollywood is at understanding what is and is not realistic and plausible.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Neruz posted:

It's astonishing how bad Hollywood is at understanding what is and is not realistic and plausible.

Read through some of the emails released by the Sony hack. An exec compared Karl Urban and Kevin Bacon starring in their own TV shows to Anglina Jolie and Madonna adopting children from Third world African countries. Execs wouldn't know reality if it but them in the rear end.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Neruz posted:

It is in California.

Third Mission
Feb 18, 2011

PAY ATTENTION TO ME!
I have to chime in because I might be the only person in the world with a positive experience with this game. I bought it used and took it home and popped it into the system from which I then beat the game in one short sitting while getting more than a little drunk. Since I had finished the game and I played Bad Company 2 for multiplayer I realized I didn't need to keep the game, I then managed to wobble my way back to the game store and return it for my money back.

This made the game kinda like getting drunk while watching a bad made for TV movie at 3 in the afternoon.

Ghost Stromboli
Mar 31, 2011

David D. Davidson posted:

Read through some of the emails released by the Sony hack. An exec compared Karl Urban and Kevin Bacon starring in their own TV shows to [Angelina] Jolie and Madonna adopting children from Third world African countries. Execs wouldn't know reality if it but them in the rear end.

I... wha... compared how? In terms of the publicity they'd receive and how much people would care? Karl Urban - no offense to him - is at the level of fame where you have to look him up and make sure he's who you're thinking of, or you're watching a movie he's in and you go, "Hey, it's that guy. What's his name?" And I don't even think Angelina Jolie has been in any movies or anything for a few years. In fact, we probably wouldn't even know if she existed if it weren't for celebrity gossip magazines.

I could also be wrong about all of this. I don't have my finger on the pulse of pop culture - takes up too much of my hole-digging time.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Ghost Stromboli posted:

I... wha... compared how? In terms of the publicity they'd receive and how much people would care? Karl Urban - no offense to him - is at the level of fame where you have to look him up and make sure he's who you're thinking of, or you're watching a movie he's in and you go, "Hey, it's that guy. What's his name?" And I don't even think Angelina Jolie has been in any movies or anything for a few years. In fact, we probably wouldn't even know if she existed if it weren't for celebrity gossip magazines.

I could also be wrong about all of this. I don't have my finger on the pulse of pop culture - takes up too much of my hole-digging time.

Well it wasn't Karl Urban or Kevin Bacon exactly, is it was more Hollywood's trend of a list talent I choosing to start in films over movie roles its been happening a lot recently, for example Liam Neeson actually I actually offered to reprise his role from Batman Begins and in the third season of arrow and Mark Wahlberg's reality show.

Basically what's actually going on is adjusting to the changing status quo in Hollywood. Rather than understanding that someone over at Sony decide decided to compare to a fashion trend and did not understand how how calling having a black child a fashion trend could be interpreted as racist.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Hi, I have no idea how hard this would be technically but the voiceover is so loud I can't hear any of the terrible dumb idiot dialog and I'd very much like to laugh at it, any way you could dial down the commentary volume a tiny bit?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Chard posted:

Hi, I have no idea how hard this would be technically but the voiceover is so loud I can't hear any of the terrible dumb idiot dialog and I'd very much like to laugh at it, any way you could dial down the commentary volume a tiny bit?

The easiest way to actually do that is to create a couple final videos, one with commentary over cutscenes and another with no commentary over cutscenes. The problem I've found with games like this, though, is that there is very little space where one character or another isn't talking endlessly about something or other, so you may have to cut the commentary at really random points that may hurt the overall "flow" of the commentary. Having listened to the raw game audio the other day for a future episode, you would have a hard time hearing a ton of the chatter and conversations the characters have with almost any level of autoduck, it's one of those games where looking away from the person talking lowers their speaking volume by a ton for some reason.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Chard posted:

On top of what Lazyfire was mentioning, the subtitles in this game are pretty awful in that like the rest of this game, it either overdoes it or doesn't do it at all. You'll see them in episode 7. However, I'll look into at least cutscene chatter free clips later. Hell though, if you'd like I can just set up a secondary playlist with just the game audio if there's honest interest in hearing what this game really has to offer.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
The only thing I liked about this game are Nork armor designs. Everything is poo poo with layers of poo poo and some more poo poo strapped to it.

Vidja writers seem to have a very nebulous understanding why one would invade a country. You certainly don't go invading US for the natural resources - I mean, you have a whole lot of Asia at your fingertips (and under your rule, anyways). And if you invaded to take over a modern nation, you'd do it for... tax income, like in EUIV? Intelectual capacity? Then it's a very bad idea to keep shooting those tax payers and engineers and what not.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

JcDent posted:

The only thing I liked about this game are Nork armor designs. Everything is poo poo with layers of poo poo and some more poo poo strapped to it.

A big part of the design for the North Koreans, if I understand, is that they took a lot of the stuff captured from Americans and repurposed it (hence why they're running around with M4s and Berettas). So presumably they also stole everything for the MOLLE and Interceptor systems.

I actually beat this game over the course of about a week; it would have been shorter had I not been employed and repeatedly frustrated by a number of downright annoyingly hard segments. I can say without a doubt that Connor is the worst character in basically any video game and will only get worse than we're already seeing him, but basically nobody is likable anyway. Jacob is the only person who doesn't seem constantly amped up on large amounts of cocaine and involving himself in arguments and whining, purely because he never says a word in the whole game because the creators were lazy assholes (I will always voice my hatred for the silent protagonist trope). The whole resistance is seemingly held together by a stray few threads of sanity and is constantly on the precipice of breaking down into fragging one another.

Speaking as someone who's actually worn a variety of tactical and otherwise military gear from World War II onward (including mixing and matching World War II Soviet, Cold War South Africa or Chinese, 1990s Serbian rebel, and modern US military gear into a single loadout at one point), I can safely say that the character design for the resistance fighters was clearly not done by anyone who actually knows what they're looking at and is just slapping together what they think is "cool". A lot of games already have the problem of never including important things like magazine pouches, but these guys are set up like they crashed a pickup through a military surplus store. Boone is probably the worst because he's exclusively using a SAW and he has a single AR-15 magazine on his back.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

This game. Oh man, this game. I have played many games in my life, and many times I have had to task-kill them for one reason or another, but the part at end is one of the only times I quit a game out of rage.

Yes Connor, I understand seeing people buried in a mass grave would make someone mad. Perfectly understandable! But perhaps you could wait to freak out when we're in a safe place not surrounded by enemy soldiers and killer robot drones? No? Well, thanks for jeopardizing the lives of everyone on the mission, including the pilot who is apparently important for whatever plans the Resistance has.

Jerk.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Why do they have two 20mm sentry cannons overwatching the mass grave?

Are the north koreans expecting the zombie apocalypse?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Probably on watch for the spirit of capitalism.
edit: VVV Well, right now this thread is above the Final Fantasy VIII one, could take some pointers about terrible soldiery from there.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jan 10, 2015

Ghost Stromboli
Mar 31, 2011

Chard posted:

I think if anything needs to be tinkered with, the actual sound effects from guns firing and explosions going off are what's getting in the way of the other audio. It's like the commentators are also in the battle and they just have to talk over everything.

Also, have to appreciate Connor's emotional outburst that results in him suddenly firing into a crowd of Koreans and cursing at them. Could you be any worse of a soldier?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

edit: VVV Well, right now this thread is above the Final Fantasy VIII one, could take some pointers about terrible soldiery from there.

Yeah, FF8 is actually fun to play. :v:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It's not like a mass grave is a surprise. Mass graves by terrible oppressive dictatorships are the rule rather than the exception, and we've already seen separate groups of North Koreans literally executing multiple civilians simultaneously along the same block as they put all of their processing facilities and ghettos. Nobody believed in the Holocaust until the Allied soldiers actually found concentration camps themselves, but the North Koreans shoved all of their atrocities into as many corners of a single small town as possible and started beating and shooting everyone in sight with wild abandon. I want to imagine that Connor is just so stupid that he literally does not comprehend anything he hasn't personally witnessed. Like you tell him about the Holocaust and he just kinda blinks in confusion, because he hasn't seen it and therefore can't understand its existence.

Also, I still get annoyed at how video games do AK reloading like with the T3AK. It seems intuitive to pull the charging handle with your right hand because it's on the right side, but it's actually kinda uncomfortable and awkward to adjust how you hold the gun after putting the magazine in. If you just reach under the gun after inserting the mag you can yank it really quickly and it feels a lot more natural.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

OwlFancier posted:

Why do they have two 20mm sentry cannons overwatching the mass grave?

Are the north koreans expecting the zombie apocalypse?

Now that would have made for a better game.

Yeah, I said it. Adding zombies would elevate this.

DA PANET EARF
Jun 14, 2011

Strangelove requested I include this list for this thread, and I probably mentioned it during commentary on one of the episodes (but am not sure, I am drunk for all of these so far) but here is my awful shooters bucket list I am maintaining for myself on my desktop.

AWFUSHOOTERS.TXT posted:

AWFUL SHOOTERS MISSION LIST [THESE ARE METACRITIC SCORES]

COMPLETED OR N/A COMPLETION------------
John Romero's Daikatana (PC) []
John Romero's Daikatana (N64) []
Ricochet []
Orion: Dino Horde/Dino Beatdown/Prelude (actually amazing now gently caress the haters.) [36]
Rogue Warrior [27]
Turning Point: Fall of Liberty [39]
Battle: Los Angeles [38]
Homefront [70]

PLAYED SIGNIFICANTLY------------------
S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Clear sky[75]
Ride To Hell: Retribution [13]

TRIED----------------------------------
Darkest of Days [44]
Hitman: Codename 47 [73]
Drug Wars [35]
Legendary [47]
The Stalin Subway []
The Stalin Subway: The Red Veil []
Chernobyl Commando []
Manhunter []
Kane and Lynch 2: Dog Days [66]
Call of Juarez: The Cartel [51]
Duke Nukem Forever [54]
Painkiller Overdose [65]
Deus Ex: The Fall [45]

TO-DO
Haze (PS3) [55]
Shellshock 2: Blood Trails [30]
Red Steel (WII) [63]
Goldeneye: Rogue Agent [60]
Doom (3DO) []
Postal III [24]
Fugitive Hunter: War on Terror [35]
Extreme Paintbrawl
Blackwater [37]
Gore: Ultimate Soldier [58]
Perfect Dark Zero [81]
Painkiller: Resurrection [38]
Painkiller: Redemption [43]
Painkiller: Recurring Evil [38]

If you have a steam account and don't own Orion: Prelude by the way, you are an rear end in a top hat. It's a dollar, go buy that poo poo.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
Hey, Clear Sky isn't awful! It's just... significantly less good than the other two S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Has anyone done an LP yet of Kane & Lynch 2? I've beat it twice already, so it could be neat to give it a try. Not like the game's very long.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Like I said before when I mentioned it, the first Mercenaries game was a much more palatable "fight North Korea" game. Because then you weren't being invaded, it was the rest of the world, China included, ganging up on North Korea.

And Kim Jong Il never made any death threats to any game developers over it! (that I know of, can anyone confirm?)

Speedball fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jan 11, 2015

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

chitoryu12 posted:

Has anyone done an LP yet of Kane & Lynch 2? I've beat it twice already, so it could be neat to give it a try. Not like the game's very long.

They're have been a few, Ritchez did one for the bad games thread and niggurath did one as well, you can find both on the LP archives.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

DA PANET EARF posted:

Strangelove requested I include this list for this thread, and I probably mentioned it during commentary on one of the episodes (but am not sure, I am drunk for all of these so far) but here is my awful shooters bucket list I am maintaining for myself on my desktop.

But why?

chitoryu12 posted:

I want to imagine that Connor is just so stupid that he literally does not comprehend anything he hasn't personally witnessed. Like you tell him about the Holocaust and he just kinda blinks in confusion, because he hasn't seen it and therefore can't understand that Europe exists

:v:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I expect he probably understands 'Yourop' to be a mythical land far across the sea where strange inhuman creatures wander about in broad daylight and Nazis once reigned supreme.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

chitoryu12 posted:

I want to imagine that Connor is just so stupid that he literally does not comprehend anything he hasn't personally witnessed. Like you tell him about the Holocaust and he just kinda blinks in confusion, because he hasn't seen it and therefore can't understand its existence.
I think there was a character in one of the Metal Gear Solid games that decided to abandon the oppressive US and go to the Soviet Union, because a book mentioned countries that are different. It might have also been a plot element.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Scalding Coffee posted:

I think there was a character in one of the Metal Gear Solid games that decided to abandon the oppressive US and go to the Soviet Union, because a book mentioned countries that are different. It might have also been a plot element.

EVA from Snake Eater, but that turned out to be a lie and she was working for a third party.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

In general, the resistance members in Homefront are so stupid that a plot summary of their actions to someone uninitiated would think of it as "The Wacky Adventures of The Resistance". Like, you'll be astounded by at least one upcoming moment.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

In general, the resistance members in Homefront are so stupid that a plot summary of their actions to someone uninitiated would think of it as "The Wacky Adventures of The Resistance". Like, you'll be astounded by at least one upcoming moment.

Would it be fair to say that, if you took the resistance's actions as is and simply switched the viewpoint, this could pass as North Korean propaganda?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

chiasaur11 posted:

Would it be fair to say that, if you took the resistance's actions as is and simply switched the viewpoint, this could pass as North Korean propaganda?

Only if it didn't end with the Resistance winning almost every time they fight.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 11, 2015

JcDent
May 13, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

Only if it didn't end with the Resistance winning almost every time they fight.

I don't think that warrants spoiler tags here.

One thing about guerrilla is that it's really hard to pull off that poo poo for a AAA mainstream game. Mainstream first person shooters hinge of you mowing down large masses of troops with relative ease, something that's the exact opposite of a freedom fighter struggle. And you can't just copy Sniper Elite. So how do you make a game about ambushes and running away and what not palatable to the public? How do you make Red Faction: Guerrilla without a main character that kills more enemy forces than a battalion of troops?

Can't go overboard with realistic story telling, either. ARMA 3, probably the most famous game where you go "I shot six guys in the last mission! SIX guys! WHOOOO!" has a plot which is realistic from military perspective, but also mind numbingly boring and I can't bear myself to care about anything in that game, except for shooting greeks and russians.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Let's face it, shooting Russians is its own reward.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.
In regards to the resistance and their ability, or lack thereof to come up with a coherent plan, there's a reason I flagged Connor being a retired Marine as bullshit.

This game would have gone over a lot better if playing this game were more akin to playing something like Stalker: SoC/CoP funny enough. A game where you want to pick your fights and never want to pick a fair fight and most of your early gear list would read as, "I found a gasmask and a heavy coat, let's go to the zone with this 90 year old hunting shotgun and a Makarov I'm almost 80% sure won't explode in my hands".

The rescue plan would've made more sense if they'd blindsided the bus oh.. out on the road to whatever camp they were taking the pilots to since they had no escort and it sounded like they were leaving the center of the city. Instead of this crazy rear end plan to hijack fuel trucks to make the attack on the bridge possible, we should've been launching attacks on the enemy fuel lines, assassinating officers, mining roads. Since Connor's obviously gotten some kind of contact with the military, how about some Stingers so the resistance can pop helicopters, or pop fighters coming in from training to land. Hell, poisoning food and spreading propaganda would've been an idea too. Those Incendiary mortar rounds in my mind would've been used to hit a parade ground or to burn a barracks to the ground or something if we're going for demoralization and shock. I'd have preferred HE since those actually do their job, but we'll disregard that.

But since I'm hoping for a competent game, I'd have also liked good gun play and likeable people on the team. Republic Commando's clones were better across the board than anyone in this game. New episode coming tonight

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Hey now, that's not hard...Republic Commando is an underrated gem of a game, especially considering it's a Star Wars prequels FPS which is a combination that you'd imagine could go either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Kai Tave posted:

Hey now, that's not hard...Republic Commando is an underrated gem of a game, especially considering it's a Star Wars prequels FPS which is a combination that you'd imagine could go either way.

I really liked republic commando!

• Locked thread