Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

1. Allen Wren
  2. Antivehicular
  3. Asiina
  4. Clockwork Gadget
  5. Epsilon Plus
  6. fiery_valkyrie
  7. Kumbamontu
  8. Meinberg
  9. mr.capps
  10. Pinterest Mom
  11. Quidnose
  12. Rarity
  13. Rascyc

Game Status: Day One, lots of bad opinions.

The crew walked to the back of the bus as it pulled up in front of the Variety Playhouse. John was sleeping somehow, passed out in a chair with a bandana covering his eyes.

“Hey boss, showtime. Let’s get moving.”

John Darnielle started to wakefulness and pulled the bandana down off his face. “Wow, already? I must have passed out hard, I was having the weirdest dreams.”

The roadie grinned. “Yeah man, we made good time. Hey, the last show is coming up, any idea how you’re gonna close it?”

The memory of the dream started to fade as John stood up and stretched. “Yeah. Well, I got a couple ideas. We’ll see, I’m still thinking about it.”

Someplace Else

The shouting had gotten out of hand a while ago. The group was huddled into a too-small concrete room with a single lightbulb and one table. Their voices bounced off the wall to create a never-ending cacophony of discord. One of them stood up and screamed “Enough!”

The shout reverberated through the bones of all present, and silence fell over the council.

“Look, we all want to be played at the finale and there’s not enough room. John’s just writes too drat much, there are too many of us.”

A few people murmured assent.

“But, look, we’re a collection of abstract concepts. Is compromise really too much to ask?”

Some of the people in the room had the decency to look abashed.

“And hey, why the hell are we in this room anyway? We can be anywhere we imagine.”

As if on queue, the room expanded and shifted into a large, enclosed amphitheatre. However, there was still just the single incandescent bulb on the ceiling for light.

“Oh come on, someone fix that al-”

The light shattered, plunging the group into darkness. By the time someone had the sense to imagine stadium lights flooding the room, the speaker was bleeding out in a pile of white-noise and static on the floor.

Soru, This Year, Town Vanilla was silenced day one!

”I guess it did kill him,” one of you whispers. Most of the discography vanishes in a puff of thought to the recesses of John’s mind at the sight of the body, not willing to risk their existence, strange as it is. Those who are left standing in the amphitheatre are a motley collection of hits, each with their own motive to be determined.

Hi! This is a mafia game for thirteen players. It’s nothing too exciting but maybe you will like it.

Rules
  • Have fun. Respect your fellow players and go for a walk if you find yourself getting too angry at mafia.
  • Don’t edit your posts without express permission. First time it happens in the game is a warning, the next time somebody has to die.
  • Please don't toxx, play truth or dare, or in any other way attempt to circumvent the game mechanics.
  • Don’t talk with other players out of thread unless you are told you may do so.
  • Do not talk when you are dead please. Limit any post death chat to generic :ghost: Go team! :ghost: or somesuch.
  • Do not copy any text from communications with me.
  • Don’t use fake day-actions.
  • Respect the hammer, don't post once a player has died but has not flipped.
  • You may only submit theme music for a day once per game. First-come, first served.
  • This is not a rule, but flavor arguments are not a good idea.
  • I decided to create an actual action priority list after my last couple games so that could be a thing that matters?

Somberbrero fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jan 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
diqnol has restored my mafia addiction :negative:

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I think I promised presign spots to Capps, Punt, yuming, and Asiina after OtGW but I can't remember. Just a heads up that I didn't put nearly as much effort into this design :v:

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
I will lend you my gameplay.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
The Mountain Goats is a good band.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Meinberg posted:

The Mountain Goats is a good band.

You quit mafia :mad:

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Rarity posted:

You quit mafia :mad:

I'm sure I would remember it quite clearly if I quit Mafia.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
:)

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I am going to make it through this game, if it kills me.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I don't know this flavour, but I will definitely play a Somber game.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Meinberg posted:

We missed you Meinberg!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Meinberg posted:

Maybe mafia quit you

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I hope you die, I hope I die, I hope we all die.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ6O7Jk4MXs

Heretic Pride is actually already pretty close to being a song about mafia.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Capps if you keep mentioning songs I won't know which one to pick roll for you.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
You should take the indirect route and make my role wolf pupy and john tweeting to each other

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

i'm convinced that "i want to go home but i am home" is the only feeling anyone ever feels

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

mr.capps posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ6O7Jk4MXs

Heretic Pride is actually already pretty close to being a song about mafia.

Nah man, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ7pEL92qho

And stay alive
Just stay alive

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

please read Wolf In White Van

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Pinterest Mom posted:

I actually got it in audiobook form. One of the few times where having the author be the narrator is a great choice.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Pinterest Mom posted:

I just started and it's fantastic already.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I wonder who is going to be the cover of Jawbreaker they did for AV Club's Undercover

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Somberbrero posted:

[*] I don’t want to be a butt about prodding people to post. I know the holidays are upon us, please just try to post at least once a real-life day.
i love endless holidays

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
Oh boy, I finally get to read your John Darnielle fanfiction.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

OH poo poo I AM IN

I have All Hail West Texas on Vinyl and I really want to listen through their discography at some point, I started with some of the cassettes last year after I bought AHWT but got distracted but I can use this as a reason to get back into it!

Yayyy~

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I dreamt that I was perched atop a throne of human skulls, yes.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

An empty room with a lightbulb? When does the phone start to ring?

(Yeah, I'm in. I would argue that "In the Craters on the Moon" is the most Mafia-like song on Heretic Pride, but the fact that a reasonable argument can be made for several songs on that album being totally Mafia-y is representative of what a good concept this is.)

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0tsFqTulM8

This was one of the best records I heard in `13, which I picked up based on something Darnielle posted online about it. I suggest cranking it up.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B28cJHA4qnQ HELL YES

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Pinterest Mom posted:

i love endless holidays

Clockwork Gadget posted:

Oh boy, I finally get to read your John Darnielle fanfiction.

Are these signups :colbert:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

yes of course

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
Obviously.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Cool! I'll request a replacement now.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock

Somberbrero posted:

Cool! I'll request a replacement now.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
L O L

the most wicked burn ever in mountain goat mafia history

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Oh, hey, since I don't actually have plat yet: send role PM to amanda dot vanrhyn at g dot austincc dot edu I should have mentioned that in the signup post, but hey!

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Since my family members have all gotten out of the hospital sooner than I thought, my mental state has returned to full capacity relatively quickly. Let's do this.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Got my role PM

Now I know this is hard to believe but I am actually this song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrsj653088E

I mean I am not the entire song but I am the ft. John Darnielle part of it at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
All roles are out., game is live. Do the thing, I'm going home. The deadline for Monday will be flexible since I'm picking someone up from the airport then at an unknown time.

Votecount for Day 1

Not Voting (13): Allen Wren, Antivehicular, Asiina, Clockwork Gadget, Epsilon Plus, fiery_valkyrie, Kumbamontu, Meinberg, mr.capps, Pinterest Mom, Quidnose, Rarity, Rascyc

With 13 alive, it's 7 votes to lynch. The current deadline is January 12th, 2015 at 10 p.m. CST -- that's in about 3 days, 4 hours.

• Locked thread