Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
You sure spent a lot of time setting that up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
What do you think of Dugong, Byers?

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Ok my rl crap is sorted now, so let's talk about merk and why he's scum.

First off, his vig on Opop. Byers kinda sniped me a bit on this point, but I want to reiterate: merk is very good at this game, and there is NO way a town merk would waste a vig on such a lovely reason when he could have used it to actually further his win condition.

Next, his casing on me. Look at how hard he pushed me yesterday after I stuck to my guns about him, while simultaneously ignoring other people who were actually doing scummy things. I just can't see a town merk tunneling that hard. He even tries to get the thread to thunderdome it between me and him(though he doesn't call it that), and thunderdoming is always a drat scummy tactic in my book. There's no doubt in my mind that merk was trying to get me lynched because I was onto him, and he thought he could get me lynched because I've generally been a pretty weak and lurky player in past games, and only today after it didn't work is he going after other people (though grudgingly at best, considering he's only quoting like one post and going "look how scummy this person is" instead of actually trying to put effort into this game).

In conclusion, merk is scum and we should all ##vote merk

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Byers2142 posted:

God dammit, this is going to be just like X-Men.

##vote merk

merk is scum. He's hiding behind an apparent lack of caring, purposefully making it hard to case him at all. The only time he has been truly engaged has been when Chic went after him. Not because he's scared of the case but because he's offended that he's been cased for the wrong reasons. He can accept being caught as scum, but he's not going to stand by and by accidentally caught as scum when the case used isn't solid. His response to the other points against him are to brush it off, as he has here, because it forces the casers to box shadows. There's no resistance, we tire ourselves out, and we look for an easier case to push. It's part of why pushing a case against merk is so tiring; he makes you work for it and pay for every vote gained in spent effort.

Look back at Ernie's point from yesterday; it was a good one. This is merk, and he seemingly wasted his shot if you consider it from a town point of view. That was not a town shot. Look at the casing he's doing that does not involve Chic. He finds one post that can be called scummy, uses the post as the entirety of the case, and sits on it until forced to do something more. This isn't happenstance; by taking this stance, he can let town run around casing and lynching each other.

In terms of scumminess, f_v has done more to be cased on, but make no mistake, this is merk playing out a scum ploy. And we can't let him stick around because the evidence isn't as abundant, or he will make us pay. In the X-Men game, I said that he's currently the best player playing on SA. I haven't seen anything to make me think that this has changed. He is very good at game theory, and even better at social manipulation. If we let him stick around, he will find a way to either continue to deflect and survive, use his delayed death to suss out PRs, or protect his scumbros behind seemingly solid defenses based on a lot of WIFOM.

I wanted to believe, merk. You broke my heart.

yeah this rings true. x-men was my first time playing with merk, and i was a bit puzzled as to why this guy with a reputation as a great player was so disengaged and shitposting, and he's been a lot more helpful in games where he's town.

##vote merk

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos
I was voting merk yesterday and I'm more than willing to vote him again today.

##vote merk

I still don't like f_v but not as much as I don't like merk's play.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
ive got a 'bad feeling' about this bandwagon. any scum team would be popping wood at the chance to get merk out early

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
oh, its only 4 votes. whatever

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

merk posted:

What do you think of Dugong, Byers?

Seems scummy, but less than you and f_v. Put him and Rarity in the next tier down in my list, with him above Rarity at this point.

Chic Trombone posted:

Next, his casing on me. Look at how hard he pushed me yesterday after I stuck to my guns about him, while simultaneously ignoring other people who were actually doing scummy things. I just can't see a town merk tunneling that hard. He even tries to get the thread to thunderdome it between me and him(though he doesn't call it that), and thunderdoming is always a drat scummy tactic in my book. There's no doubt in my mind that merk was trying to get me lynched because I was onto him, and he thought he could get me lynched because I've generally been a pretty weak and lurky player in past games, and only today after it didn't work is he going after other people (though grudgingly at best, considering he's only quoting like one post and going "look how scummy this person is" instead of actually trying to put effort into this game).

Ironically, I agree with him that your case on him was bad. It's a different situation, and a meta call based on the two isn't a good case to make. But if you make a bad case on merk when he's scum, he tends to get aggravated that he was pressured for the wrong reasons. If you look at his post-mortems in games, he will continue to point out flaws in bad cases/guesses made against him even when they inadvertently outed him.

Like KFC and WO with f_v, the initial case is arguably wrong, but the reaction to it is revealing.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

uranus posted:

oh, its only 4 votes. whatever

Yeah, Big Game Syndrome. In a 13-player game, we'd already be a vote or two from hammer. Here, we're less than half way. It's those last few votes that are always hard to get; people vote more freely when a hammer is far away.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Oh no yeah my case was deffs bad and based off me misremembering stuff but that doesn't change the fact that his reaction to it was scummy

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
A bad meta case called bad with a bad meta case. This is going swell.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
If you think Chic's case on me was bad, would you agree she is scummy? Her case is completely invented out of thin air to justify a vote on me. It's made up, entirely made up. It's fake scum hunting.

As I type this out, I feel stronger about that case again: ##vote Chic

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Chic Trombone posted:

Oh no yeah my case was deffs bad and based off me misremembering stuff but that doesn't change the fact that his reaction to it was scummy

My case yesterday, that is. I think my case today is solid

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

i think merk gets a lot of mileage out of just being merk, so that when he does outrageous OMGUSing like he's doing on CT rn, he doesn't get called out on it

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

merk posted:

A bad meta case called bad with a bad meta case. This is going swell.

My case isn't meta. I referenced X-Men for two reasons. One, because that's the last (and only) time I correctly picked you out as scum, and even with me pushing all day it took a cop claim to finally get you lynched. Hence, I expect this to be an uphill battle to try and get the needed votes. Two, because what I said in that game about your abilities still seem to apply. The bulk of my posting has been specific to this game, and the posts you've made in it.

You're scum because of this game. Convincing people you are scum, and the reason it's important to push at this point, is based on my experiences in that game.

merk posted:

If you think Chic's case on me was bad, would you agree she is scummy? Her case is completely invented out of thin air to justify a vote on me. It's made up, entirely made up. It's fake scum hunting.

Bad <> Scum, necessarily. In this case, I don't believe it does, as what was made up was easily invalidated by pointing at the game in question. The only reason to throw out something so definitively disprovable is if her memory of it was faulty, which would occur regardless of alignment.

So no, I don't agree that it's fake scum hunting, but rather think it's bad scum hunting.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Why is it bad but not scummy? She said that I used the vig like I used vigs as scum based on a single piece of evidence that looks completely contradictory to that statement. How can she make such a strong assertion that is completely incorrect and get waved over as 'bad' instead of 'fake'?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Pinterest Mom posted:

i think merk gets a lot of mileage out of just being merk, so that when he does outrageous OMGUSing like he's doing on CT rn, he doesn't get called out on it

Hint: OMGUS is not and has never been a scum tell. Also, this is not OMGUS on Chic. I have a very strong case.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
Merk is scum but I want to murder FV more

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

merk posted:

Why is it bad but not scummy? She said that I used the vig like I used vigs as scum based on a single piece of evidence that looks completely contradictory to that statement. How can she make such a strong assertion that is completely incorrect and get waved over as 'bad' instead of 'fake'?

Because the idea of a false memory is a well-known and accepted psychological effect. Scum would not purposefully make up facts from nothing that contradict what actually happened, they would try to tie to something convincing and substantial so they can drive the case. Getting the facts of an old game complete wrong can be ascribed to a faulty memory or to being an incompetent scum player. I find the idea of a false memory more likely.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
Merk, weigh in on FV please.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Don't care about fv. I have three good picks right now.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

merk posted:

Hint: OMGUS is not and has never been a scum tell. Also, this is not OMGUS on Chic. I have a very strong case.

Yes and no. Yes, OMGUS in a vacuum is not a scum tell, despite the belief of most SA players. And yes, your reaction to Chic was not OMGUS. But I don't agree it's a good case, and I don't see where it not being OMGUS matters, at least not in the points I'm pushing forward.

It is a very different reaction than the one you had towards Ernie and myself when we brought points against you, which I believe is because you were railing more against the fallacies in the case. You recognized more veracity in the points put forward by Ernie and me, hence the different reaction.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Your Personal Muse posted:

Merk is scum but I want to murder FV more

I'd rather leave f_v alive for another day than merk. He scares me more (no offense, f_v!). Unless someone has a gun, then we could handle both today.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Byers2142 posted:

You recognized more veracity in the points put forward by Ernie and me, hence the different reaction.

I recognized that Chic's case is completely made up scum hunting, the only true scum tell. I recognized that Chic is scum.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

merk posted:

Don't care about fv. I have three good picks right now.

:raise: Really it's that much effort/not worth it to put together an opinion beyond "don't care" on the major candidate of the day so far?

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

merk posted:

I recognized that Chic's case is completely made up scum hunting, the only true scum tell. I recognized that Chic is scum.

How is my case made up scumhunting? I already admitted my case from yesterday was bad bc i misremembered events and remade the case with better evidence. Are you just not reading my posts anymore or

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Ok yeah this is looking like scum merk to me. He's playing much more defensively than offensively and I think he's trying to keep all his posts short so we have less content to work with.

merk, what are you gonna say if I ask your opinion of PMom?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

:raise: Really it's that much effort/not worth it to put together an opinion beyond "don't care" on the major candidate of the day so far?

I don't have a strong opinion either way and surely not a stronger opinion than the three people I said I'd vote.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Rarity posted:

Ok yeah this is looking like scum merk to me. He's playing much more defensively than offensively and I think he's trying to keep all his posts short so we have less content to work with.

merk, what are you gonna say if I ask your opinion of PMom?

Didn't I already comment on PMom?

I'm not being defensive at all. I'm blatantly ignoring cases on me and instead asking people what they think of the person I'm voting.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I'm disinterested in this game except in small spurts. If you're confusing that with a scum game, you're wrong. My scum game is calculated and aggressive - except when I'm too busy to do it.

This game is just boring. I'm town in it though.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Like, the Chic case is so much better than any other case made so far in this game that I'm bored that people wave over it as "bad" with """bad""" reasons. That single Dugong post I quoted is 10000% a scum post and it got waved over as me not analyzing the guy's body of work.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Chic saw an opportunity created by Ernie to call me scum and rode his evidence to make a completely fake case. I doubt she even read the game he quoted. That's what happened. That's scum play.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

merk posted:

Didn't I already comment on PMom?

Oh yes, so you did. Most enlightening.

quote:

I'm not being defensive at all.

I am unconvinced ##vote merk

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Cool

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

merk posted:

Chic saw an opportunity created by Ernie to call me scum and rode his evidence to make a completely fake case. I doubt she even read the game he quoted. That's what happened. That's scum play.

Merk are you even READING what i'm posting. This is a real question because it sounds like you're ignoring basically the entire thread rn except where people are calling you scum

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Also, I modded that game. Kind of hard for me not to have read a game when I modded it

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Chic Trombone posted:

Also, I modded that game. Kind of hard for me not to have read a game when I modded it

Holy poo poo wow.

##vote merk

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I know that's a no-effort vote but basically I can't figure out what the gently caress merk is actually trying to achieve other than trying to go "stop talking about me!"

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
This is dumb. Let's get it over with. Lynch Chic after I flip town. Thanks. Unsubscribing from this thread.

##vote merk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

Byers2142 posted:

I'd rather leave f_v alive for another day than merk. He scares me more (no offense, f_v!). Unless someone has a gun, then we could handle both today.

I feel like if Merk is scum and playing this way, it's to deliberately shift focus on him, and if that's the case he's a vanilla scum. Best case scenario for him we squabble and no lynch for a few days and lynch a non power scum, worst we lynch him today. I realize I'm making a few big assumptions with this point, but I feel like if he's scum he's doing this to shift focus away from FV

• Locked thread