Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Missing Name posted:

Definitely don't do MISERY then. One of their ways of making the game harder seems to be "OK, mutantdog.spawn... It says spawn 5. Eh, make it 15. Ctrl+C. Ctrl+V, Ctrl+V, Ctrl+V."

This. God drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Dandywalken posted:

This. God drat.

At least it forces good stamina management I guess. If you're winded and can't make it up onto that boulder, well, RIP.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

DeliciousPatriotism posted:

Ok so this might sound crazy but I decided to get a STALKER game a jumped straight for Misery. I'm loving it, it's kicking my rear end like no tomorrow but, holy hell it's immersive.

I did play a lot of Vanilla and LURK SoC several years ago, wasn't too hard and really enjoyed it. Grabbed LURK mostly because I hated the really bad accuracy of many mid-early tier weapons and hated relying entirely on headshots.

Any tips for me to get out of the scrub zone? I've been having a hard time saving up for a decent rifle though I do have a 45% condition AK with a PSO, GP30 and pretty great damage. Rarely jams for its condition considered, AKs I guess. Been making progress getting better gear and have scouted two crash sites.

My biggest objective is to clear the Iron Forest but I get bushwhacked by Controllers easy: finding a decent mid-long range rifle has been hard. Want a good condition 7.62 or equivalent rifle with a scope everything's trashed in this game, hah. What should I do?

If you're playing misery 1.0, congratulations on making a Good Choice. If you're playing misery 2.0, download this mod and think on the decisions in life that led you to this point.

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008

Gestalt Intellect posted:

If you're playing misery 1.0, congratulations on making a Good Choice. If you're playing misery 2.0, download this mod and think on the decisions in life that led you to this point.

Whoa thanks a ton, this looks perfect. As I've gone along I've been gradually getting frustrated with a lot of dumb things in the mod but it still hasn't eclipsed my sense of masochism. The fact that Bloodsuckers give no audio clues whatsoever after they've spotted you is the dumbest thing, in addition to a lot of other stupid and arbitrary decisions by the devs that seem to exist entirely so they can circlejerk about how they made the hardest mod in the world.

Was looking for the Unfucker mod I heard about but this sounds like it'll do the trick. Will it work properly with 2.1.1 and Armed Zone 1.7? I'm horrible about my hardon for an over-diversity of items.

EDIT: whoops read the post, is compatible with 2.1.1 rtfm I guess.

Thanks again! Can't wait to give this a fresh whirl.

DeliciousPatriotism fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jan 7, 2015

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Thanks for the ride, LEGENDARY mod. That was a (mostly) great experience and its not too difficult to downgrade the steam version to 1.0005 either.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

BillyJoeBob posted:

Alright so I'm playing SGM Geonezis, and I took the missions from the Informant to find his documents. I should have probably done them one at a time but I accepted all 3 maybe 2 weeks ago and now I've forgotten what his hints were.

I found the sniper documents at the container warehouse SW of Yanov but I can't find the other two. I should have probably written something down because all the PDA tells me is that I have to find documents. :(

Anyone got a clue as to where the assault rifle docs and armor docs are?

Edit: Holy poo poo! If you talk to Uncle Yar and press X, it opens an upgrade window and he upgrades everything. The prices are as high as he is though. I went through nearly 200K on fully upgrading my SEVA.

One is at the Sawmill, can be random places within the area but for me it was inside the actual building. The other I can't remember, maybe Cement Factory but not really certain. Worst case scenario, menu, f2 for God Menu, go through the lists until you find and spawn it.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Vorenus posted:

One is at the Sawmill, can be random places within the area but for me it was inside the actual building. The other I can't remember, maybe Cement Factory but not really certain. Worst case scenario, menu, f2 for God Menu, go through the lists until you find and spawn it.

I have shamelessly spawned a few quest items when mods have gone Tits, plus, having to restart the game due to a newer patch. feels good, man.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.
How do I rebind the spawn menu key for SGM geonezis? I like to use f2 for bandages and I don't see an option to change it. :(

vvvv Well I'm glad it's me just not understanding how to use this poorly translated mod rather than having to gently caress around rebinding stuff in a config potentially. :v:

Literal Nazi Furry fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jan 9, 2015

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Literal Nazi Furry posted:

How do I rebind the spawn menu key for SGM geonezis? I like to use f2 for bandages and I don't see an option to change it. :(

It should only bring that menu up after you've exited to the main game menu. F2 in-world shouldn't do anything but whatever you've bound it to in-game, especially since F1-4 is defaults CoP quick use. If F2 is opening the cheat menu from in-world that's a weird bug.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Something new has appeared in the Zone:

Because four is too many,
And two is too few,
It's Tri-Dog!

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Missing Name posted:

Definitely don't do MISERY then. One of their ways of making the game harder seems to be "OK, mutantdog.spawn... It says spawn 5. Eh, make it 15. Ctrl+C. Ctrl+V, Ctrl+V, Ctrl+V."

I found an old screenshot:

It's from SGM though. IIRC there's an alpha squad dying at ground zero :laugh:

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
^Reminds me of my first play through of OL running through Rostok. Got up in the tunnel the snipers hang out in on your first visit, grabbed the binoculars to see if it was all clear and the screen lit up with a shitton of red boxes. the duty guys went nuts and got wiped out before I could swap to my rifle and thank the game coders they didn't give mutants the ability to climb ladders....Then the Chimeras showed up and just jumped up into the tunnel, gently caress.

McGiggins posted:

It's a shame these games aren't co-op, that'd be awesome.

Despite the frantic urgings of a european friend of mine to play and finish it, I have never been able to get anywhere with Call of Pripyat. I always get insta-murdered by dog packs, no matter where I go or how I try to fight.

Maybe I'm just terrible.

Packs of dogs are a motherfucker at times. Trust me, you don't suck, those shits are just murder in numbers when you don't have some distance to pick'em off as they charge you.
When I played vanilla the game seemed to spawn huge swarms of them when you'd do certain missions to gently caress you over getting back.
Oblivion Lost, on the other hand, just dumps those fuckers all over the place along with those damned bobcats to mangle your rear end at the worst possible times.
Sneaking up on an enemy? Pack of dogs from out of nowhere
Caught in a firefight? Herd of dogs to maul everything but they only focus on you
Coming back from red Forest? You're hosed, run like a bitch
Did a job in Yantar for Barkeep? Take the overhead pipes to the sniper tower cause those fuckers are gonna be swarmed in the garage area
Doing anything in cordon? Just put a bullet in your head now cause here they come
Hanging out in the Agropom? Get on a roof.

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jan 10, 2015

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
I downloaded ZRP a while back. It is a tiny file so I am unsure when people extol the flexibility. Is this some console poo poo or did I download the Wrong Thing?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

rejutka posted:

I downloaded ZRP a while back. It is a tiny file so I am unsure when people extol the flexibility. Is this some console poo poo or did I download the Wrong Thing?

The newest one is at http://www.metacognix.com/files/stlkrsoc/ZRP_1.07_R5EE_140504.7z and is 6MB, which is small. It's a bunch of fixes to text files and a few very small texture fixes.

Be sure to run the included modifier.exe once you install it.

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008
Help ok I don't know if I'm doing something wrong but I keep trying to reinstall Misery + Les Miserables but something always goes wrong.

I get a crash literally every time I try to approach Skadovsk, is this a common issue? Maybe I installed the game wrong? Is there some special process that the readme isn't telling me? I mean I got periodic, unexplained crashes with Misery 2.1.1 vanilla but this just sucks, man. Keep restarting into a broken game. Help?! Is it working for anyone else?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Open the appdata folder in your Call of Pripyat install directory and check the log file there for crash info (the last few lines of the log, the information in the crash dialog is mostly useless)

If you post it we'll probably be able to figure out what went wrong. Misery should make you miserable thanks to playing it, not due to it crashing all the time!

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008
Thank you so much! I'm reinstalling everything right now, I'm going to see how it runs. I'll update if it runs well or crashes (and why.)

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008
Gack ok.

Two startup crashes (this was the case with misery before) then it started working great

Snuck around the ranger station, buried some mercs, looted them, some fighting erupted nearby and... crash.

Went straight to log, this is what it says at bottom

[error] Expression : pm->m_animations.size()
[error] Function : player_hud_motion)container : : load
[error] File : D:\prog_repository\sources\trunk\xrgame\player_hud.cpp
[error] Line : 92
[error] Description : motion not found [mp5_idle_bore]

EDIT: Crashed again, looks like it can't find animations. Second time it says it was a desert eagle anim. What the hell?

Also installed Le Mis and it says I installed the armed zone 1.7 but I havent. I've got it on here but I'm concerned installing it will just cause my game to have more seizures.

DeliciousPatriotism fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jan 12, 2015

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
That's weird. Looking at the internal file structure for Les Mis, 90% of the weapon configs are specific to the three classes. I'm not sure what is going on with the armed zone thing, but it may be possible that for some reason the normal weapon configs are trying to find meshes/animations that don't exist.

Misery uses a weird file switching system that no other mod uses (probably with good reason). Try changing your class via the ingame menu at least once. This should copy the weapon configs over the ones that already exist and may fix the problem.

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008

Ddraig posted:

That's weird. Looking at the internal file structure for Les Mis, 90% of the weapon configs are specific to the three classes. I'm not sure what is going on with the armed zone thing, but it may be possible that for some reason the normal weapon configs are trying to find meshes/animations that don't exist.

Misery uses a weird file switching system that no other mod uses (probably with good reason). Try changing your class via the ingame menu at least once. This should copy the weapon configs over the ones that already exist and may fix the problem.

Well Les Miserables has a weird caveat where you're told to install a class-specific file into the gamedata folder. Pretty sure I selected the right one but just re-selected my class (assault) and I'm going to see how it goes.

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008
I'm using Steam if this helps enlighten anything. It appears to entirely be theses missing animations. Deleted / reinstalling CoP again, going to try it one mod at a time to see when these mods show up at the bottom left because the mysterious appearance of Armed Zone I think is the problem.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

What's the secret to starting the bandit quests in Geonezis?

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008
OK FIXED IT

Somehow Armed Zone files got into my Le Mis folder and I just downloaded a new version. Works perfect now!

Thanks for the help, it did direct my troubleshooting. Finally I can get my STALKER on. It's taken a lifetime to stop crashing haha.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

DeliciousPatriotism posted:

I'm using Steam if this helps enlighten anything. It appears to entirely be theses missing animations. Deleted / reinstalling CoP again, going to try it one mod at a time to see when these mods show up at the bottom left because the mysterious appearance of Armed Zone I think is the problem.

If animations are completely missing then it's probably not les miserables, but there is a mistake in its install instructions so they're out of order. It tells you to copy the class-specific gamedata and then the general one, but you should actually start with the general gamedata and the copy the one for your class. Also if you install any optional files make sure you do that after everything else, and keep the class consistent.

PS What class are you in misery?

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Monolith. posted:

What's the secret to starting the bandit quests in Geonezis?

Dredge artifact job, kill the guys who ambush you, return to SKadovsk, do Wolf's jobs, talk to Sultan, who sends you to Chepaev after a few jobs.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Vorenus posted:

Dredge artifact job, kill the guys who ambush you, return to SKadovsk, do Wolf's jobs, talk to Sultan, who sends you to Chepaev after a few jobs.

Oh. I guess I shouldn't kill Wolf, huh. Lol.

Wait, I do kill Wolf...huh.

Monolith. fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jan 12, 2015

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

SocketWrench posted:

Packs of dogs are a motherfucker at times. Trust me, you don't suck, those shits are just murder in numbers when you don't have some distance to pick'em off as they charge you.
When I played vanilla the game seemed to spawn huge swarms of them when you'd do certain missions to gently caress you over getting back.
Oblivion Lost, on the other hand, just dumps those fuckers all over the place along with those damned bobcats to mangle your rear end at the worst possible times.
Sneaking up on an enemy? Pack of dogs from out of nowhere
Caught in a firefight? Herd of dogs to maul everything but they only focus on you
Coming back from red Forest? You're hosed, run like a bitch
Did a job in Yantar for Barkeep? Take the overhead pipes to the sniper tower cause those fuckers are gonna be swarmed in the garage area
Doing anything in cordon? Just put a bullet in your head now cause here they come
Hanging out in the Agropom? Get on a roof.

hear a dog bark in the distance? climb the nearest rock and switch to rifle grenades

which mod is it that spawns 2 chimeras every time you try to come or go in rostok because that poo poo is truly obnoxious

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jan 12, 2015

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Monolith. posted:

Oh. I guess I shouldn't kill Wolf, huh. Lol.

Wait, I do kill Wolf...huh.

Apparently at some point, I never got that quest, but not when you first meet him.

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009

gggiiimmmppp posted:

hear a dog bark in the distance? climb the nearest rock and switch to rifle grenades

which mod is it that spawns 2 chimeras every time you try to come or go in rostok because that poo poo is truly obnoxious

OGSE... Always nice to have some endurance artifacts for that stretch

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
I grabbed The Faction War because of all the great press it's getting in this thread and I've barely started but Holy poo poo. Went to the train yard with some dudes, got some money, bought a knife a radio and a sleeping bag and gently caress I can't afford a gun. gently caress.

So I agree to find a Wrenched then remember I don't have a detector. gently caress. So I heard over the radio that some guy would be at the abandoned farmstead in the warehouses district flogging a cheap MP5. Turns out his idea of cheap is over three grand more than I have. gently caress. Then I went to the Merc bivouac figuring they might front me a weapon as all I have is a knife so I run the gently caress away from all the wildlife. Nobody was there. gently caress. It's getting kinda late now so I jogged over the hill back towards the farmstead. I stopped at the crest as somebody was firing at something. I start hoping there's a corpse I can loot. It turns out there's a bloodsucker on the prowl. All I have is a knife. gently caress gently caress gently caress.

Then I noticed there's a couple of corpses at the bottom of the hill so I sprinted down to them and looty looty loot loot loot. A couple of MP5s - one upgraded a bit :toot: - a couple of Marthas - one upgraded a bit :toot: - some bullets and a couple of medkits. loving rolling in it, me.

Oh look, there's another bloodsucker. My pistol is in rag order and jams near every shot. The bloodsucker got pissed at me for plinking him so I swap out to the MP5 and burn up most of my ammo. These fuckers are tough. I grabbed tentacles off his corpse and then went back to the initial fight location. Some bastard tries to jack me for stuff that ain't his, I give no fucks what he claims. I told him to get hosed so he dropped me. Such is life in the Zone.

I loving love this mod. :swoon:

Damegane
May 7, 2013
Going on corpselooting sprees in frontline areas seem to be the best way to get equipment early on, especially if you go for areas where both factions are neutral to you.

And then sometimes you just get lucky, like when I went for a walk in the Swamps and Clear Sky was defending the watchtower against bandits. They didn't want to leave their spots, so I had a lot of time to pick through the bandit corpses for a sweet, sweet scoped shotgun.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Who the gently caress do you turn patches in to? Which faction trader where?

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
The traders - well, one - started accepting my patches, I suppose it's a standings thing.

I'm a loner these days, traversing the zone on behalf of factions who want poo poo transported or picked up. I rock a Toz for the range, handy as mutants will gently caress you up quick. At one point, I was headed from the train yard to Dark Valley and heard what I thought was a bloodsucker over on my left. I sprinted my rear end over to a camp and hopped up on some crates - can't kill me if you can't reach me, motherfucker.

I turn around to draw a bead on it and see a Chimera 30 feet away and 20 feet up, mid-leap. As it drops to my doom on my head it lets out a Death From Above roar.

I just scooped a G37 in a stash in the Swamps. poo poo all bullets but it has a scope. I'm looking forward to addressing Controller problems now. Them fuckers are lethal. God I love this game.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
TFW really refreshes CS, I'm trying to get sgm to work again. atm.

Sparkyhodgo
Jun 21, 2003
Long potato

rejutka posted:

I grabbed The Faction War because of all the great press it's getting in this thread and I've barely started but Holy poo poo. Went to the train yard with some dudes, got some money, bought a knife a radio and a sleeping bag and gently caress I can't afford a gun. gently caress.

[...]

I loving love this mod. :swoon:

Would love to try this. When I type "Stalker faction wars" into google I get a billion results. Which mod is Faction Wars exactly? This one? http://www.moddb.com/mods/clear-sky-faction-mod

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Use ddraigs version, I'm. P sure it's in the op

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Sparkyhodgo posted:

Would love to try this. When I type "Stalker faction wars" into google I get a billion results. Which mod is Faction Wars exactly? This one? http://www.moddb.com/mods/clear-sky-faction-mod

I downloaded these -

https://www.mediafire.com/?k7fk9i32dcc14el

http://www.mediafire.com/download/6jvv4pspbj1hi3p/The_Faction_War_patch1.7z

http://www.mediafire.com/download/r1waircw7t1p2zn/Radio_station.7z

NB: Due to all manner of installed mods I had to uninstall and patch Clear Sky and then apply those. Obviously, YMMV.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Good Lord, just started a new game of OGSE 0.6.9.2 and the mutants are on drat steroids. Everything can kill me in two attacks which really sucks if I can't kill it before having to reload. Never had to quickload so many times to do the rookie missions in Cordon.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Erm, I was transporting a 20kg box to Duty from Yantar and Defiance stormed the Duty base in a pro as gently caress fashion (scoped mosin nagants in the towers while a mix of shottys and ARs put motherfucking boots on the motherfucking ground) and now I am stuck with a 20kg box I cannot drop. I have no save that will avoid Defiance storming the gently caress out of Duty. Am I boned?

Bonus hilarity section: After a few attempts to unfuck that situation I noticed I kept passing the shooting range so I stopped in and had a go while Duty got curbstomped. Major Whatsit gravely informed me that I had to use his guns but he'd give me back my stuff after a round of shooting. After the round of shooting, I discover Major Whatsit had absconded with my SEVA suit, my Veles detector, everything except for the PMm I was using and my G37. At least I got the cool black bandit coat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

rejutka posted:

Erm, I was transporting a 20kg box to Duty from Yantar and Defiance stormed the Duty base in a pro as gently caress fashion (scoped mosin nagants in the towers while a mix of shottys and ARs put motherfucking boots on the motherfucking ground) and now I am stuck with a 20kg box I cannot drop. I have no save that will avoid Defiance storming the gently caress out of Duty. Am I boned?

Bonus hilarity section: After a few attempts to unfuck that situation I noticed I kept passing the shooting range so I stopped in and had a go while Duty got curbstomped. Major Whatsit gravely informed me that I had to use his guns but he'd give me back my stuff after a round of shooting. After the round of shooting, I discover Major Whatsit had absconded with my SEVA suit, my Veles detector, everything except for the PMm I was using and my G37. At least I got the cool black bandit coat.

Don't walk around with your Krazy Glue unsecured in your pack next time.