Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

intheflesh posted:

Does the window do anything funky like go halfway up then down again? I know the scissor style window regulators that older VWs had could get bound up and skip some teeth on the window motor to regulator gearset which would cause strange things like that, but I thought they all had slider and cable style regulators now

I had a thing where one of the windows would only go halfway down and auto up/down wouldn't work at all, something about the window forgetting how far up and down it can go. Making the computer or whatever re-learn how to do windows worked for me.
Try this:
All windows up
Disconnect the battery for a few minutes
Connect battery, get in car, ignition on
With each window individually, roll all the way down, wait a second, roll all the way up.
Repeat with each window (and sunroof if you have it)

It does it all the time now.
It'll go up and down all the way fine just opposite of the way the other switches do.
I'll try that re-learning process on my next day off and see what happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010
I have a 2007 GTI. It has a misfire around 3.5k rpm. It's trivial to reproduce it driving up a hill, and not at all hard to just accelerating hard in general. The coils have just been replaced last month after one went terribly bad, but this issue was identical before and after.

The thing is, I've never gotten it to misfire in sport mode.

Any ideas?

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Try changing the plugs? Have you looked at a VAG tool to see if it's logging any misfires?

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

No. 6 posted:

Try changing the plugs? Have you looked at a VAG tool to see if it's logging any misfires?

Sorry, plugs have been changed as well. It's logged misfires on cylinders 3 and 4. I guess I should also say that while it's happening the check engine light flashes as well. If I continue to accelerate it will eventually turn solid, but if I let off it will just turn off.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Aurium posted:

Sorry, plugs have been changed as well. It's logged misfires on cylinders 3 and 4. I guess I should also say that while it's happening the check engine light flashes as well. If I continue to accelerate it will eventually turn solid, but if I let off it will just turn off.

I'm not sure of when or what engines, but a lot of VAG cars had a coilpack harness replacement as part of the coilpack recall because the loving things were melting- my A4 had the coils and harness done in '12, but it didn't stop two of the coils from making GBS threads themselves a few months back. Probably worth a look next, if the plugs and packs check out, any VAG dealer can check on the system to see what recall work has been done.

I would probably assume that if you can't get it to misfire at all in sport mode then its something related to that, but I would check out the harness first.

For my own question- anyone have any experience dealing with the 12 year corrosion warranty?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Aurium posted:

I have a 2007 GTI. It has a misfire around 3.5k rpm. It's trivial to reproduce it driving up a hill, and not at all hard to just accelerating hard in general. The coils have just been replaced last month after one went terribly bad, but this issue was identical before and after.

The thing is, I've never gotten it to misfire in sport mode.

Any ideas?

Definitely check that cam follower. Misfires are a common trait of the cam chewing up your fuel pump.

Sound
Oct 18, 2004

Motronic posted:

Yeah. Run away.

It's a basket case of PO fuckery that he's trying to unload on you.

Well as usual I went against all good advice. Pulled the head and the gasket was popped between a cylinder and coolant port.

Head checked out good, just barely needed a valve job but I figured may as well.

After a few weeks of reassemble, cuss, disassemble, reassemble I fired it up yesterday. Everything works! Temps are good, power is utterly insane, tranny is butter smooth after you get out of the dog cut 1-2.

Still reading over autronic sm4 fuel injection, if anyone is an expert I have a few questions.

So yeah, 820 awhp in a b5 avant. Pretty pumped.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013

I really want to purchase a MK7 GTI, but seeing stuff like this terrifies me and I end up scurrying back to my boring Honda's.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Sound posted:

As a driver of a 190 bhp b5 avant, I demand some pictures of this, it sounds delightful :syoon: :syoon:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Nohearum posted:

I really want to purchase a MK7 GTI, but seeing stuff like this terrifies me and I end up scurrying back to my boring Honda's.

This is why you buy the extended warranty from VW and don't gently caress with the car. :)

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Sound posted:

Well as usual I went against all good advice. Pulled the head and the gasket was popped between a cylinder and coolant port.

I have a feeling you'll be back posting in here sooner rather than later.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
I have a B8 S4 with about 50k miles, and the mechanic who did my brakes mentioned that the upper control arms on both sides need to be replaced because the bushings have failed. Apparently this is a common Audi issue?

This is a pretty pricey job; are the OEM parts the best replacement, or is there something more durable I could swap in? This is my daily driver, so no need for any race-y bits really.

Sound
Oct 18, 2004

MomJeans420 posted:

I'm coming off a stage 3 s4, so I'm fairly familiar with the platform. Plus there are lots of vr6 resources out there and I have a trusted mechanic if I can't figure it out.

But yeah I wouldn't be surprised if I found a way to break it, I'm not too worried though.

Sound
Oct 18, 2004

bennyfactor posted:

As a driver of a 190 bhp b5 avant, I demand some pictures of this, it sounds delightful :syoon: :syoon:

As requested: dirty from dispatching a tank of e85 with extreme violence

http://imgur.com/fFIVZz6.jpg

And the fun box:

http://imgur.com/cGj7H3X.jpg

the milk machine posted:

I have a B8 S4 with about 50k miles, and the mechanic who did my brakes mentioned that the upper control arms on both sides need to be replaced because the bushings have failed. Apparently this is a common Audi issue?

This is a pretty pricey job; are the OEM parts the best replacement, or is there something more durable I could swap in? This is my daily driver, so no need for any race-y bits really.

OEM is probably your best bet, but 034 Motorsports never did me wrong on any suspension/drivetrain upgrades.

Sound fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Dec 24, 2014

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Sound posted:

As requested: dirty from dispatching a tank of e85 with extreme violence

http://imgur.com/fFIVZz6.jpg

And the fun box:

http://imgur.com/cGj7H3X.jpg

Nice! I think that body style always looks best in black/dark gray. The gunmetal wheels are a good combo.

MomJeans420 posted:

Hopefully we get a thread out of it.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

:stare: how large is that turbo

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
Anybody ever dealt with VWOA regarding out of warranty repairs? My 8 month old catalytic converter(replaced under warranty by the dealer) has failed. Completely. Pipe broke off at the weld.
Dealer says they can cover it because it's been too many miles but that it was clearly a defective part and gave me the Hq #.

What is the likelihood that they fix this?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I had the exact same thing happen to me, cat replaced under the required 75k warranty for them, flexpipe broke off the new one about 10k later and they replaced that too under parts warranty. Maybe your dealer just sucks?

Sound
Oct 18, 2004

8ender posted:

:stare: how large is that turbo

Precision 6766 ball bearing. Pushing 39psi on the current tune. It does make a lovely noise under boost :vince:

Also, spent some time poking around autronic, adapted the TPS to try and take care of a hunting idle. I'm super impressed with autronic after using vag-com in the past. It's crazy the amount of customization you can do. WOT shift, launch control, anti-lag...this is gonna be fun.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

kmcormick9 posted:

Anybody ever dealt with VWOA regarding out of warranty repairs? My 8 month old catalytic converter(replaced under warranty by the dealer) has failed. Completely. Pipe broke off at the weld.
Dealer says they can cover it because it's been too many miles but that it was clearly a defective part and gave me the Hq #.

You have to call the vwoa hq# and open a case file the dealer can't do that for you.
Explain what's going on to whoever answers the phone. If they don't give you the answer you're looking for ask for some one higher up to review it.

I had my entire engine replaced out of warranty once it was deemed to be a manufacturing defect on the crankshaft that caused it to fail in the first place.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

kmcormick9 posted:

Remind them the part is covered for 12k/1yr.

http://www.vwserviceandparts.com/car-care/volkswagen-warranty/

If they don't see the light go to corporate.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

Styles Bitchley posted:

Remind them the part is covered for 12k/1yr.

http://www.vwserviceandparts.com/car-care/volkswagen-warranty/

If they don't see the light go to corporate.

It's been about 20k

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

kmcormick9 posted:

It's been about 20k

20k in 8 months, wow yeah you might be on your own.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

Styles Bitchley posted:

20k in 8 months, wow yeah you might be on your own.

Yes. As expected they refused to replace the part with a blatant manufacturing defect because it had been too many miles. I guess I now know better than to use genuine VW parts ever again(told them this).
Time to blow up their social media with my story.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Oldskool VW chat (more like middle aged).
I'm helping a good friend of mine on his 1989 Golf 1.8. It developed low end power issues and bad fuel economy. I went over it yesterday and found Cyl 1 had a stuck injector. I also checked spark and found it to be weak/gold in color- which from random internet people claim that means it's due for a coil pack and TCI (ICM). Before I go having him spend $140 on parts, is there anything else I should be checking? I ohm'd the coolant temp sensor and checked all the vac lines/air filter/ect. I don't know these cars very well, but they seem rather simple.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Just got my 09 Rabbit back from the dealer (CEL came on, MAP sensor needed to be replaced) and found out I have a leaky brake vacuum pump. He said they need to remove the transmission to replace it, so the whole job runs about $1000. Does that sound about right, or should I call around my local independent shops and see if I can get a better price?

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
Doing a quick google the official method is dropping the transmission, although a DIY method that doesn't require it does exist. I'd call around to get quotes though.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Soooo the bone chilling cold has screwed something up in my 2012 VW Jetta. It started just fine and I got about a half mile from my house when the car went into "limp" mode and lost all of its power in the pedal. It seems to idle just fine but was running rough/diesel stank in the air. I pulled off and restarted it to see if it was just freaking out because it was -3 out but then the check engine light added itself to the mix. From looking at the behavior and weather circumstances it looks like I might have ice in my intercooler. Has anyone dealt with this? Luckily I am under 3 yrs/36k so it should be warranty work. It looks like they have a replacement intercooler they put on the car with a vent on the side but nobody knows if it helps. Apparently the 2013+ models changed designs and are all supposedly fixed.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Virigoth posted:

Soooo the bone chilling cold has screwed something up in my 2012 VW Jetta. It started just fine and I got about a half mile from my house when the car went into "limp" mode and lost all of its power in the pedal. It seems to idle just fine but was running rough/diesel stank in the air. I pulled off and restarted it to see if it was just freaking out because it was -3 out but then the check engine light added itself to the mix. From looking at the behavior and weather circumstances it looks like I might have ice in my intercooler. Has anyone dealt with this? Luckily I am under 3 yrs/36k so it should be warranty work. It looks like they have a replacement intercooler they put on the car with a vent on the side but nobody knows if it helps. Apparently the 2013+ models changed designs and are all supposedly fixed.

TDI? Is it really humid + cold where you are? I haven't run into the issue solely because its not very humid out here. Got 37k and counting on the Golf and no intercooler issues.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Virigoth posted:

Pretty sure it's a problem for the 13 and 14 MY cars too.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

It looks like it turned out to NOT be that but the symptoms fit. They just called to tell me I blew my turbo on the car and they have to replace the whole thing but they don't have any loaners cars. Would it be worth it to ask for a buy bid on the car (33k miles mostly city) and see if I can get a deal on a newer model year with this going on?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Anybody have guidance on how to replace the headlamp assembly on a 1990 Audi 90 Quattro?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Virigoth posted:

It looks like it turned out to NOT be that but the symptoms fit. They just called to tell me I blew my turbo on the car and they have to replace the whole thing but they don't have any loaners cars. Would it be worth it to ask for a buy bid on the car (33k miles mostly city) and see if I can get a deal on a newer model year with this going on?

Did you have a tune on it or just a bad turbo?

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

veedubfreak posted:

Did you have a tune on it or just a bad turbo?

No tune just a bad turbo.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Virigoth posted:

Soooo the bone chilling cold [...]

Virigoth posted:

[...] restarted it to see if it was just freaking out because it was -3 out
Bone-chilling cold? I can't foresee any problems with a VW in -3 (C or F) unless you've replaced the coolant with water. VAG cars are big sellers here in polar circle territory (Norway) and usually have no problems operating in below -25 C temperatures.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I can't even imagine how long it takes to heat up that TDI for heat, even with a block heater. It was 35F here today and it took probably 10 minutes of driving to get it off the cold mark.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Bovril Delight posted:

I can't even imagine how long it takes to heat up that TDI for heat, even with a block heater. It was 35F here today and it took probably 10 minutes of driving to get it off the cold mark.

Not really any worse than any other car I've owned. Been freezing in the Midwest this week, but by the time I am about 10-15 down the road it's good and warm. Seat heaters help.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

AlternateAccount posted:

Not really any worse than any other car I've owned. Been freezing in the Midwest this week, but by the time I am about 10-15 down the road it's good and warm. Seat heaters help.

Butt heat is mandatory

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Virigoth posted:

Isn't that within the mileage warranty, even if not the year? I'd push the dealer for VW to front the bill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

No. 6 posted:

Isn't that within the mileage warranty, even if not the year? I'd push the dealer for VW to front the bill.

It is all warranty covered so no big deal except time.