Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

neogeo0823 posted:

"Well... Chopping up this guy and selling his organs and skin on the black market is pretty bad. Almost as much as eating off this poo poo-and-blood-covered floor. But god drat is it ever uncomfortable to sleep in a hot room. Glad I don't have to deal with that."

Obviously, cutting people up and selling their parts on the black market isn't happening to me. But god loving dammit I want a goddamn table to sit at when I eat my grilled raider cock sandwich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
Does butchering a human body give less meat if you harvest the organs first?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I tried out that crash landing mod and the start is really cool when you're just going "OH GOD I HOPE THAT DOESN'T LAND ON TOP OF US! :supaburn:

Then it gets less interesting when a section of ship crashed and gave you three suits of power armor on day one.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Demiurge4 posted:

I tried out that crash landing mod and the start is really cool when you're just going "OH GOD I HOPE THAT DOESN'T LAND ON TOP OF US! :supaburn:

Then it gets less interesting when a section of ship crashed and gave you three suits of power armor on day one.

Would you mind posting a few screenshots of that start? I'm kind of curious about that mod, but I can't really picture how it works in game.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Has there been any sort of date set for the next major content patch? I love the game but I feel I've done pretty much all there is to do here at the moment.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

Has there been any sort of date set for the next major content patch? I love the game but I feel I've done pretty much all there is to do here at the moment.

A while ago Tynan announced that he was moving to a less frequent release schedule due to the compounding complexity of the game. I think it should be around every few months now. He posts the work he does every single day on his changelog which you can follow.

On that note:

code:
You can now rescue incapacitated neutral people and heal them. Their faction will be appreciative
Oh my god, yes, it was annoying as poo poo to rescue an outlander who was being kidnapped by pirates, only to have their faction declare war on you the moment you picked them up.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Added psychic foil helmet.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Generation Internet posted:

A while ago Tynan announced that he was moving to a less frequent release schedule due to the compounding complexity of the game. I think it should be around every few months now. He posts the work he does every single day on his changelog which you can follow.

On that note:

code:
You can now rescue incapacitated neutral people and heal them. Their faction will be appreciative
Oh my god, yes, it was annoying as poo poo to rescue an outlander who was being kidnapped by pirates, only to have their faction declare war on you the moment you picked them up.

There's a mod that does this currently. That daily changelog is awesome. Food poisoning, vomiting, people ignoring reservations for putting out fires, botched surgeries... I hope one of the botched outcomes is performing a random wrong operation.

"BUT MY LEFT LEG WAS FINE! WHY REMOVE IT? WHY?"

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

I would kill for an update that makes it so when you right click to get a colonist to do a job right now they'll bump off anyone who has already called dibs.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

quote:

Wrote a new time-of-day calculator that determines a proper sun glow from latitude, time of year, and time of day. Now, equatorial regions have the same long days year-round, while northern areas have shallow days or varying lengths, and can even have no proper night at certain times of year.

Missed this in the log, it's the little things like this which really come together to make that great, unique 'Dwarf Fortess' experience. Imagine a colony of psychopathic cannibals during a 6 month night. loving vampires, man.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

code:

Tommofork posted:

There's a mod that does this currently.

Anyone got a name or link for this mod?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Missed this in the log, it's the little things like this which really come together to make that great, unique 'Dwarf Fortess' experience. Imagine a colony of psychopathic cannibals during a 6 month night. loving vampires, man.

I hope he adds some nocturnal animals or events to go with this. As it stands the only difference between night and day seems to be a change in temperature and a minor mood hit. (As well as most colonists choosing to sleep at night, but that wouldn't matter if there was permanent night.

Actually that would be a neat new trait: "Nocturnal - Colonist prefers to sleep during the day, and work during the night. Gets +5 mood instead of -5 from "in Darkness", and has reversed sleep cycle."

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

neogeo0823 posted:

Anyone got a name or link for this mod?

I thought it was standalone but it's packaged into this mod.

e: fricking link.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Gibbo posted:

Does butchering a human body give less meat if you harvest the organs first?

Doesn't seem like it. I get about 75 meat per corpse no matter what, even if they've had limbs removed.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

The last couple of days of the changelog are amazing, tackling a couple of things that have annoyed me to no end. Being able to rescue colonists to increase relationships is going to be so helpful. And the generic gun types is a minor thing by MY IMMERSION.

Plus the automated colony creation gives me hope that eventually one will dig into ruins and find what is essentially a bones file of a past colony.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Just picked this up as a DF fanatic, and while the small size of the initial colony is a little difficult / boring, I am loving discovering the mechanics, especially as they differ from DF. "Why the HELL does everybody have heatstroke???" I ask myself for the fourth time, before realizing that plunking down right next to an enclosed steam geyser to rush geothermal is maybe not the most logical plan...

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

Muscle Tracer posted:

Just picked this up as a DF fanatic, and while the small size of the initial colony is a little difficult / boring, I am loving discovering the mechanics, especially as they differ from DF. "Why the HELL does everybody have heatstroke???" I ask myself for the fourth time, before realizing that plunking down right next to an enclosed steam geyser to rush geothermal is maybe not the most logical plan...

Yeah I'd like to have the option to start with five colonists, especially since it takes a while for your first pirate attack if you don't want to arrest friendlies.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

TheChad posted:

Yeah I'd like to have the option to start with five colonists, especially since it takes a while for your first pirate attack if you don't want to arrest friendlies.

You can do this with the prepare carefully mod which has been linked in the thread already.

e: Here

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

I started one colony with five colonists and there was no challenge in the early game. I could do everything I wanted to do without having to prioritise or compromise.

I can understand doing it because the early game is a slog but five colonists straight up murders the difficulty of the initial start. Then I went and started a colony with three random colonists on an ice sheet and two of them refuse to haul poo poo, it's cold outside.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I don't need to be able to customize my colonists fully but it'd be nice if the randomizer let you weight stuff. Like if I could click on mining and the game would roll me colonist types with decent mining.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

I speed-clicked through every button to try a colony on tundra directly adjacent to an ice-sheet in January, just to see if it was enabled and what winter looked like, and found myself actually trying to see if it was possible to survive -40 in nothing but t-shirts. Everyone died on day three when I forgot to re-build the camp-fire in their hut.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Muscle Tracer posted:

The first time I ran colonists into an enclosed burning building to save the hydroponics set up was a rude shock.

A colonist needs rescuing!
"What the hell. loving dumb-rear end getting badly burned by the fire."
"It's 500C in there jesus christ."

If this game didn't have instant roof deconstruction I would've been in a lot more trouble.

Sankis posted:

I don't need to be able to customize my colonists fully but it'd be nice if the randomizer let you weight stuff. Like if I could click on mining and the game would roll me colonist types with decent mining.

The neat part about that prepare carefully mod is that you can randomise parts of your colonist separately. Like their background but don't like their traits? Reroll the traits! It helps cut down on endlessly rerolling because an otherwise perfect colonist is a psychically hypersensitive nervous wreck. You can also just assign background/skill points to mining if that's your thing. You can also assign their passions.

I speed-clicked through every button to try a colony on tundra directly adjacent to an ice-sheet in January, just to see if it was enabled and what winter looked like, and found myself actually trying to see if it was possible to survive -40 in nothing but t-shirts. Everyone died on day three when I forgot to re-build the camp-fire in their hut.

I think that's the best way to start a colony. "I wonder if I can..." is a much better hook for me than, "Ok. I've carefully chosen a seed, carefully weeded out the initial colonists, carefully planned where the base will be located and will expand to..." Those bases I inevitably glaze over after the initial set up and quit.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Tommofork posted:

I think that's the best way to start a colony. "I wonder if I can..." is a much better hook for me than, "Ok. I've carefully chosen a seed, carefully weeded out the initial colonists, carefully planned where the base will be located and will expand to..." Those bases I inevitably glaze over after the initial set up and quit.

Then you'd probably be interested in EdB's Scenarios mod, which has a random location scenario. Goes great with the icesheets biome mod (with a beta ocean biome available too :getin:)

And some people will probably find the pawn state icons mod useful, since it covers temperature, moods, and a few other status effects with more planned.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

^^^
God drat you look away from the modding forum for a day and someone releases something awesome.

The Target Practise mod also got updated so you don't have to be in micromanagement hell by manually assigning target practise every day, you can build target ranges/:siren:melee:siren: dummies that use bills and the hunting system.

I wonder if the ranges/dummies are a higher priority task than actual hunting though. It could get weird with your dudes who should be on the range constantly heading out to shoot boars.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Hmm. My colonists have suddenly just stopped using hydroponics altogether. The basin builds, it's lit with a sun lamp, everything is powered, and it just sits there for eternity, never to be touched once by any colonist. I don't think I have any mods affecting hydro or crops in general....any idea?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Leif. posted:

Hmm. My colonists have suddenly just stopped using hydroponics altogether. The basin builds, it's lit with a sun lamp, everything is powered, and it just sits there for eternity, never to be touched once by any colonist. I don't think I have any mods affecting hydro or crops in general....any idea?

There was a bug like that with hydroponics that was hotfixed around mid-December. If you haven't updated since it could be that.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
Also make sure the temperature is viable.

According to the change log, Artillery requires the shells now, but are stronger. I certainly hope there's a way to make your colonists more accurate, otherwise sieges could get very expensive.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Tommofork posted:

I can understand doing it because the early game is a slog but five colonists straight up murders the difficulty of the initial start. Then I went and started a colony with three random colonists on an ice sheet and two of them refuse to haul poo poo, it's cold outside.

This is pretty much the reason I'm not a big fan of the prepare carefully mod. It's more fun seeing three random people, one of whom who might have spent their entire life in a castle while another is a hardened space marine and the last one is a teen pop icon or whatever thrown together in a desperate situation of survival, all with their own personal foibles, character flaws etc. Tinkering with them and getting exactly what you want/extra colonists seems against the spirit of the game, imo.

That said, I think it is absolutely understandable that people put some limits on what they'll accept. Personally, I'll re-roll a colonist if two of them are incapable of hauling/dumb labour, and obviously it breaks the game if none of them are capable of such duties at all. If only one of is a lazy rear end in a top hat however, that's not so bad because they make a good candidate for a researcher (assuming they can do that).

You should try the icesheet mod that was linked to in Communist Zombie's post, if you haven't already, as it actually allows you to go full on Land of Always Winter, where there are no trees, the modder only recently added sporadic animals in the form of random wolf attacks, and certain locations can have temperatures that plummet to less than -100. Celsius.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So. The Battlestations mod. Is there any way to unassign a key that's been assigned to a squad? I accidentally pressed CTRL + d instead of f, and now whenever I scroll right one of my colonists gets highlighted and I hear some annoying sound clip from whatever game the author curbed them from.

EDIT: Also, how can you easily tell if a place has a roof or not?

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jan 10, 2015

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

neogeo0823 posted:

So. The Battlestations mod. Is there any way to unassign a key that's been assigned to a squad? I accidentally pressed CTRL + d instead of f, and now whenever I scroll right one of my colonists gets highlighted and I hear some annoying sound clip from whatever game the author curbed them from.

EDIT: Also, how can you easily tell if a place has a roof or not?

If you put the mouse over the square in question, if you have all orders/character tabs closed, down the bottom left you'll see tiny writing like roof (thin) if a square has a roof over it.

I don't know if there's an elegant way to get rid of battlestations, but you can go into your savegame and nuke assigned keys/squads.
Get an XML editor like notepad++.
Go to (windows drive):\Users\(your username)\AppData\LocalLow\Ludeon Studios\RimWorld\Saves and open up your save with the XML editor.
Use control + F to search for battlestations.

You'll see something like,
code:
		<li Class="battlestations.newSelectorThing">
			<Squads>
				<keys>
					<li>M</li>
					<li>None</li>
				</keys>
				<values>
					<li Class="battlestations.Squad">
						<SquadName>Beta</SquadName>
						<PawnsInSquad>
							<li>Human17</li>
							<li>Human22</li>
							<li>Human25</li>
						</PawnsInSquad>
						<Battlestations>
							<keys />
							<values />
						</Battlestations>
						<KeyBind>M</KeyBind>
					</li>
					<li Class="battlestations.Squad">
						<SquadName>Omega</SquadName>
						<PawnsInSquad>
							<li>Human17</li>
							<li>Human22</li>
							<li>Human25</li>
						</PawnsInSquad>
						<Battlestations>
							<keys />
							<values />
						</Battlestations>
					</li>
				</values>
			</Squads>
		</li>
Delete that poo poo, paste this in its place.
code:
		<li Class="battlestations.newSelectorThing">
			<Squads>
				<keys />
				<values />
			</Squads>
		</li>
Also if you want to kill the sounds, and why wouldn't you holy poo poo they are annoying, just go into the battlestations mod folder and delete the sounds folder.

e: note that while testing this I ran into a bug where pressing ANY key selected a squad. I think that happened because Omega squad has no key, somehow. Holy poo poo that is annoying. "Ready! Ready! Re-re-re-re-re-re-ready!"

2nd e: alright deleting the sounds does throw up a bunch of errors when you start the game. not recommended

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jan 10, 2015

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Huh I'm getting a bug constantly now with Battlestations. When I assign a squad to a key and it also assigns the same colonists to another squad with no specific key, pressing any key will select them. This is on save games that haven't been hosed with. It's pretty bad.

AWAITING ORDERS READY AWAREADAREAWAITREAYES COMMANDER

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 10, 2015

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Well poo poo, thanks for sacrificing your game and sanity to figure that out.

Got more questions. how do I erect a roof in an area where there isn't one? I was digging and found a small roofless alcove right in the middle of where I wanted a large covered section.

Also, how can I tell is an A/C unit is actually cooling a place? I just installed one in what is going to be a walk in fridge, powered it, and set the dial to 34 degrees. The food I am hauling into the area still says that it's unrefrigerated. Is there any way I can tell if the unit is working as intended? Related, is there anything stopping me from just venting the exhaust of the A/C into a 1x1 hole in the wall that no one will ever go to? Or does it need venting to the outside world?

EDIT: God dammit, I keep finding open areas where I want to mine out rooms. I found a geyser in a cave. I guess at least that's well protected constant energy, but that was supposed to be a couple of new bedrooms.

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jan 10, 2015

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

No worries. I'm not sure if the bug is with the mod or with my keyboard being one step away from dying.

Roofs will automatically go up when a space is enclosed by walls/doors, but only the spaces which can support a roof tile will get covered. If you have big open rooms, you might find that the tiles in the centre aren't roofed because there aren't any walls close enough to support it. Roofs need walls within about 5 squares to support them.

A/C units should highlight the area they're cooling in blue when you click on them/are placing them. If there's no blue highlight, the room is probably still considered an outdoors space because it's not fully enclosed/roofed. If you hover your mouse over the room, down the bottom right of the screen where it normally says the outdoor temperature, it should alternate between showing the indoors temperature of where the mouse is and the outdoors temperature. If the cooler is working the indoors temp should move towards the target temp.

neogeo0823 posted:

Related, is there anything stopping me from just venting the exhaust of the A/C into a 1x1 hole in the wall that no one will ever go to? Or does it need venting to the outside world?

I don't know, but when I did that in my very first game I noticed that the temperature in the 1x1 hole quickly climbed to 130 C. I've seen players who run their exhaust as a 1 wide tunnel to the outdoors, then blocking it off with a wall so enemies can't come in and then removing the roof so it vents.

quote:

EDIT: God dammit, I keep finding open areas where I want to mine out rooms. I found a geyser in a cave. I guess at least that's well protected constant energy, but that was supposed to be a couple of new bedrooms.

I wonder if you can pave over the geyser... :v:

e: missed an important word

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 10, 2015

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Also coolers/heaters use a fixed amount of power when they work regardless of what the target temperature is, and at the moment there's no reason not to set your fridges to below freezing to keep food from spoiling. If a cooler/heater is struggling to hit the target temperature, it's trying to heat/cool too big an area and needs a pal to help it out.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

neogeo0823 posted:

Well poo poo, thanks for sacrificing your game and sanity to figure that out.

Got more questions. how do I erect a roof in an area where there isn't one? I was digging and found a small roofless alcove right in the middle of where I wanted a large covered section.

Also, how can I tell is an A/C unit is actually cooling a place? I just installed one in what is going to be a walk in fridge, powered it, and set the dial to 34 degrees. The food I am hauling into the area still says that it's unrefrigerated. Is there any way I can tell if the unit is working as intended? Related, is there anything stopping me from just venting the exhaust of the A/C into a 1x1 hole in the wall that no one will ever go to? Or does it need venting to the outside world?

If you're still having issues with your cooler, post a screenshot. And make sure it's not 34 degrees Celsius :v:

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Minarchist posted:

If you're still having issues with your cooler, post a screenshot. And make sure it's not 34 degrees Celsius :v:

It's set to 34F, and the space is 4x7. The a/c does say it's using high power, but you'd think it'd be enough for a small-ish room like that. The room is roofed, as well as the 1x1 exhaust square.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

neogeo0823 posted:

It's set to 34F, and the space is 4x7. The a/c does say it's using high power, but you'd think it'd be enough for a small-ish room like that. The room is roofed, as well as the 1x1 exhaust square.
Pics or it didn't happen.

Did you block the ac's inside opening?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

tonberrytoby posted:

Pics or it didn't happen.

Did you block the ac's inside opening?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The cooler can work double as a heater if you put the warm side into your commons room. It's 8 C outside and my cooler keeps the freezer at -8 C while the commons room without a heater stays around 25 C.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

It's the 1x1 'exhaust' that's loving it up. I just started a new colony (and lucked out with a loving awesome site in hilly arid shrub land that's 40C at night), built a room like that and had the same result until I made a proper exhaust.

Also if you check the temperature of that 1x1 room it's likely 170 C or so :v:

e: this site is insane. Four steam geysers out in the open and close to the start point, a massive mountain to carve into if you're into that, four narrow choke points to wall off and you get like 80% of the map to yourself.

2nd e: there are rhinos! :3:

world size 200x150, seed jxc6
Colony coordinates 16.00 E 9.60 N, map size 275x275

3rd e: I had an urge to make a patchwork image of the entire site, so I did. http://i.imgur.com/qMpEnSX.jpg

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 10, 2015