Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well I'm sorry not all of us can afford to stance all four wheels at once, mister moneybags. Let the poor dude work on his installment plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

BurgerQuest posted:

Hah, where was this? I've been driving up the pacific highway and just got into Byron Bay today. The rain was crazy heavy for about 10 minutes and then just disappeared again.

This was in Townsville. There would be a really good chance that this is the first time the Lancer driver had ever been in the wet due to how little it rains here.

My guess is that the handbrake was pulled to do mad drifts on the round about...

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The Door Frame posted:

That's sheisty as gently caress. Is there anything at all redeemable about GM? Everything I hear, see, and physically work with says that GM should be avoided like the plague
I get that Chrysler and Ford aren't exactly superstars either, but at least they aren't actively malicious. Well, usually aren't

My opinion on Ford vs GM for terribleness swings back and forth. Usually the worst one is the one I worked on most recently. They're both pretty dreadful, especially when it comes to their euro efforts.

Chrysler is just another league altogether.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Slavvy posted:

My opinion on Ford vs GM for terribleness swings back and forth. Usually the worst one is the one I worked on most recently. They're both pretty dreadful, especially when it comes to their euro efforts.

I give Ford a pass right now because it seems like they've been trying really hard to make cool cars again. GM somehow still manages to design decent platforms and engines, and then proceed to build terrible cars with them.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

8ender posted:

GM somehow still manages to design decent platforms and engines, and then proceed to build terrible cars with them.

This is allegedly the mid-engined Corvette mule.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Pretty sure it's just the next holden ute.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

Slavvy posted:

At least with Chrysler they had the excuse of having no money all the time. The K car faintly resembled an import from that era, they just didn't have money to update it like the imports did once it got dated.

Ford and GM squandered the entire 80s with the VRA then couldn't figure out how they were losing sales to the Japanese in the 90s.

Tony quidprano fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jan 9, 2015

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

Godholio posted:

This is allegedly the mid-engined Corvette mule.

Its at least got the headlights/taillights and frontbar from the Commodore ute.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Supposedly it's got Corvette guts under the Holden skin. I'm still wary, but it seems like every big car mag in the country is blowing their load over this.

Edit: actually I finally looked at it on a computer rather than the phone. It's clearly a C7 midsection with the Holden front and rear. Which seems like it would give easy access to the powerplant, unlike the standard vette body.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jan 9, 2015

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I'm crossing my fingers. It's about time we get a modern utility vehicle that isn't a bloated brotruck or a carpenter's van.

Oh who am I kidding it won't come to europe anyway. :sigh:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Collateral Damage posted:

I'm crossing my fingers. It's about time we get a modern utility vehicle that isn't a bloated brotruck or a carpenter's van.

Oh who am I kidding it won't come to europe anyway. :sigh:

It's supposedly mid-engine, from what I've read. There goes your utility vehicle hopes.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Slavvy posted:

So I posted a couple of days ago about the rental 2014 200 I picked up with 5400 miles on the clock and a bad front-right wheel bearing

Decided to try another one. This one had 17 miles on it.

120 miles later the loving headliner went spung! and collapsed onto my head.

Fuuuuuuuuck Dodge forever.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Safety Dance posted:

It's supposedly mid-engine, from what I've read. There goes your utility vehicle hopes.

I respectfully disagree:

Honda T360

Dodge A100

Ford Econoline

Rear engined but whatever:

Sambar (and 360)

Corvair

Syncro Doka

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Safety Dance posted:

The 'sporty' versions of the Holden utes aren't meant to carry any more than a couple of cases of beer anyway - the payload ratings are really low on them

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7hfSiYQQF4

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

buttcrackmenace posted:

So I posted a couple of days ago about the rental 2014 200 I picked up with 5400 miles on the clock and a bad front-right wheel bearing

Decided to try another one. This one had 17 miles on it.

120 miles later the loving headliner went spung! and collapsed onto my head.

Fuuuuuuuuck Dodge forever.

Chrysler in a nutshell.

They're basically run by their purchasing department and, well, you get what you pay for.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
Isn't Chrysler the company that has a factory specified repair of zipties for bumper cover failures?

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Isn't Chrysler the company that has a factory specified repair of zipties for bumper cover failures?

They were dealer installed, but I don't think factory specified.

Either way, they'd wear through in a bit and need to be re-zipped.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

jamal posted:

Pretty sure it's just the next holden ute.

There isn't going to be any holden commodore or ute after the current model. Manufacturing the commodore (and falcon) is being shut down.
They don't sell the ute there, and probably won't start after shutting it down here. Any changes to current lineup would just be face-lifts, and no reason to test them.

Safety Dance posted:

Yeah, I think the point is testing mid engine mounting, not testing a new ute

dissss posted:

The 'sporty' versions of the Holden utes aren't meant to carry any more than a couple of cases of beer anyway - the payload ratings are really low on them

Yeah, I think they're rated at 650kg.
I've just got a regular ford ute for a work vehicle, 1 tonne in the back or 2300kg tow, for that reason.
Unladen, drives like a regular car, which is the whole point of utes rather than a truck. Had a ranger before hand and while good for 4x4, for city/highway I much prefer the performance, mod cons, safety and NVH of a ute

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 10, 2015

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

totalnewbie posted:

Chrysler in a nutshell.

They're basically run by their purchasing department and, well, you get what you pay for.

I'm curious, and this seems like the best place to ask: how's the Dart?

I think the interior and exterior look nice enough for a small compact and have seen a few on the road, but no one says anything about them and I don't know anything about how they drive or hold up. I looked on Car and Driver and they're ranked second to last in the "compacts" section, so that can't be good. Seeing the Fiat 500 down that low is a bit of a surprise, too.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Uthor posted:

I think the interior and exterior look nice enough for a small compact and have seen a few on the road, but no one says anything about them and I don't know anything about how they drive or hold up. I looked on Car and Driver and they're ranked second to last in the "compacts" section, so that can't be good. Seeing the Fiat 500 down that low is a bit of a surprise, too.

Just get the Golf like the link says :)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

veedubfreak posted:

Just get the Golf like the link says :)

I have a seven year old GTI that I don't plan on replacing for at least another seven years. :)

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013

Uthor posted:

I have a seven year old GTI that I don't plan on replacing for at least another seven years. :)

Famous last words.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

totalnewbie posted:

Chrysler in a nutshell.

Correction, you get what they pay for.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Uthor posted:

I think there was someone here who worked at the Dart plant, and said that 1 out of every 3 cars gets pulled to the 'rework' area because they were built so badly they needed to be repaired right off the line

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
There's basically nothing from Chrysler you should buy. Just don't.

Maybe the Hellcat whatevers might be okay, but there's other vehicles that are probably better for a similar price point.

The one thing Chrysler does well is that their cars look (for the most part) pretty drat good and their interiors are pretty decent.

But you should buy a Golf.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I can't remember if I've asked this but I have a mate with a real and serious dedication to buying a crossfire. How terrible are they on a scale of communist drudgecar to Kenyan-built 70's peugeot copy?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
"looks like a dog taking a poo poo" is probably the best thing anyone has ever said about that car.

Do those share parts with the SLK?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Slavvy posted:

I can't remember if I've asked this but I have a mate with a real and serious dedication to buying a crossfire. How terrible are they on a scale of communist drudgecar to Kenyan-built 70's peugeot copy?

You're asking about a rwd coupe, built by Chrysler in the early 2000s (an alarm bell for any domestic), out of scraps that Mercedes was done with and didn't want to use anymore, to a price point that would make it move.

All the best leftovers of German engineering, combined with Mopar build quality and reliability.

poo poo will break in hilarious and unanticipated ways, and will often require parts with an attached Mercedes tax.

Do you really have to ask?

And they're cramped as gently caress, only car I've ever had to actually stick my head out the window to have my neck not snap.

Plus, aren't you (and your buddy) in Australia/New Zealand/one of those RHD countries? I can only what a clusterfuck that adds to the equation.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
And the modular merc v6 they came with is definitely worthy of this thread, because holy gently caress are they festering turds of an engine.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Wikipedia says that the crossfire and the slk are completely identical mechanically and only the bodywork & interior are different. It also says they were 'built by Karmann'. It even came with a 6 speed manual. How bad can it possibly be?

:v:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

How bad can it possibly be?

Famous last words. Malaise era Mercedes be damned.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

$30,000

listing posted:

The Mercedes-Benz SLK was adapted for the bespoke new body, which uses all its own sheetmetal. The mechanicals were all purloined, although retuned for this application. The interior was borrowed as well, then restyled to provide a unique appearance. In the face of complex stampings (such as the X-shaped crease on the doors, the deep rear quarter-panels, and the grooved hood) and production numbers of only 20,000 per year, manufacturing was farmed out to German coachbuilder Karmann.
Its origins are unusual, but the Crossfire is a different kind of Chrysler for other reasons. It s Chrysler s smallest-ever model and first-ever sports car, and it pioneers the marque s return to rear-wheel drive.
The interior s SLK pieces are obvious, despite the Chrysler designers restyling. Still, the Mercedes starting point gives the Crossfire hands down the best-quality interior of any Chrysler product in recent times. The switch-gear works flawlessly, the surfaces are attractive, and the silver trim brightens things up.
Combine that chassis setup with the Cross-fire s ultra-rigid body (stiffer than that of the Porsche 911, the engineers brag) and you get a car that responds very well in hard driving. The Crossfire turns in sharply and corners flat.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Even with that mileage $30k seems insane - that's 370z territory.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

Ugh the crossfire is so hideous.

dissss posted:

Even with that mileage $30k seems insane - that's 370z territory.

30k is pretty much a maxed out Genesis Coupe 3.8 R-Spec

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Slavvy posted:

Wikipedia says that the crossfire and the slk are completely identical mechanically and only the bodywork & interior are different. It also says they were 'built by Karmann'. It even came with a 6 speed manual. How bad can it possibly be?

Karmann was also responsible for the Merkur XR4Ti and one form of the Nissan Micra, as well as the Land Rover Defender, along with one year of the Ford Mustang and Pontiac G6.

(as if you didn't need any more reason not to put any faith in the whole "built by Karmann" badge - they had nothing to do with the mechanicals)

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Shogunner posted:

Ugh the crossfire is so hideous.

30k is pretty much a maxed out Genesis Coupe 3.8 R-Spec

This is Aus/NZ - 30k doesn't go as far in the Antipodes as it does on the other side of the Pacific.

That being said, 28k Slavvy, seems like a much better buy.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Slavvy posted:

I don't like the Crossfire because I think it looks hideous, but every time this comes up all the shiteaters here start posting hurr durr Chrysler and never have any specifics to back it up.

Mechanically the crossfire was very good, because the R171 SLK it is mechanically identical to was actually also very good, probably the best built MB of that era, and the supercharged AMG model was very fast, the 5 speed AMG speedshift trans revmatched downshifts and would hold gears to redline, even the folding hardtop, which you would think problematic, was actually quite sturdy, and in any case you didn't get that on the Crossfire anyway. The manual transmission probably isn't great though since none of the MB manuals are, and the non-AMG version is pretty slow by modern standards. The only issue I've ever heard anyone having are with the intercooler leaking on the supercharged versions, similar to the issues the E55 AMGs have, but those are quite easy to fix and half the parts are shared with the Ford F150 Lightning and can be bought at a Ford dealership for much less money than a MB dealer.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Spot the horrible mechanical failure!
Apparently the steering linkage failed for my dad on the ride home yesterday. So hellatoe?

QuiteEasilyDone fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Throatwarbler posted:

I don't like the Crossfire because I think it looks hideous, but every time this comes up all the shiteaters here start posting hurr durr Chrysler and never have any specifics to back it up.

Mechanically the crossfire was very good, because the R171 SLK it is mechanically identical to was actually also very good, probably the best built MB of that era, and the supercharged AMG model was very fast, the 5 speed AMG speedshift trans revmatched downshifts and would hold gears to redline, even the folding hardtop, which you would think problematic, was actually quite sturdy, and in any case you didn't get that on the Crossfire anyway. The manual transmission probably isn't great though since none of the MB manuals are, and the non-AMG version is pretty slow by modern standards. The only issue I've ever heard anyone having are with the intercooler leaking on the supercharged versions, similar to the issues the E55 AMGs have, but those are quite easy to fix and half the parts are shared with the Ford F150 Lightning and can be bought at a Ford dealership for much less money than a MB dealer.

Wait, what?? Really? Which parts of an e55 amg are shared with a Ford? I've never heard of this.