Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Farking Bastage posted:

Duet Display is loving awesome.

How's the lag?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roobsa
May 1, 2011

Farking Bastage posted:

The last time I used it it was being a massive shithead for some reason. The resolution was way off and the display was squashed. Changing the settings did nothing. There's been an update but haven't tried Duet since so hopefully it's usable again.

When it works it is excellent though.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Farking Bastage posted:

On the other hand that's an incredibly boring picture of it in action :v:. The iPad might as well be in the Photos app showing the same picture as your Mac!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

slogsdon posted:

How's the lag?
This week's update helped tremendously.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

This week's update helped tremendously.

Cool, thinking of getting an iPad Air 2 sometime soon. Being able to use it as another display is definitely enticing.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

japtor posted:

On the other hand that's an incredibly boring picture of it in action :v:. The iPad might as well be in the Photos app showing the same picture as your Mac!

I had a bunch of work stuff open so I had it slid over to the background image.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Farking Bastage posted:

I had a bunch of work stuff open so I had it slid over to the background image.

I see you use the same applications I do for work :)

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

flosofl posted:

I see you use the same applications I do for work :)

Yep! I published all the domain admin apps in citrix.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Why the hell does my hostname keep changing from Hostname.local to Hostname-2.local? I did use Migration Assistant to move from my old box to the current, but there wouldn't be anything else on the network with the same name or anything...

edit: I do have simultaneous wired and wireless connections to the same router.

Looks like this is a bug!

quote:

Incremental Bonjour network names. The name of your computer as it appears in the Sharing preferences pane is broadcast using Bonjour over the local network. However, with File Sharing or other features enabled, Yosemite regularly decides that the name is in conflict with itself, and increments the number. So you see "Glenn's MacBook Air (2)", "3", and so on.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

GregNorc posted:

Bit the bullet and upgraded to Yosemite.

It mostly went smoothly, but I can't see any album artwork on my iphone - just text with the artisit name and song name. When I look at my music in iTunes 12.0.1.26 I can see the album art though.

I don't know if this is the problem but I had an issue where the actual album art wasn't embedded in the mp3s and iTunes just grabbed the album art from...no idea where? Try checking in iTunes if there's actually any album art embedded in your albums!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Think I've got a virus on my system. Sometimes when using my web browser I keep getting jumped over to a page advertising medicine, and it happens across multiple browsers. poo poo. Not sure how to fix this. Do I really have to pay fifty bucks for an antivirus program?

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
Can anyone explain why UserEventAgent attempts to connect to appleiphonecell.com and thinkdifferent.us, et al after booting up the computer or at other times? I don't have any applications open on boot except Calendar, Mail, and Little Snitch.

I see other queries on the internet about it but no clear answer.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Speedball posted:

Think I've got a virus on my system. Sometimes when using my web browser I keep getting jumped over to a page advertising medicine, and it happens across multiple browsers. poo poo. Not sure how to fix this. Do I really have to pay fifty bucks for an antivirus program?

There aren't really viruses in the wild. Anything you've got was installed by a user of the machine, probably under the pretense of making the Interwebs better.

That sounds like the work of Genieio or whatever it's called now. Have you installed any software of that variety recently?

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007
Just got a new retina iMac, and time machined from my old late 2008 mac that was upgraded to Yosemite before I time machined. Only problem that is occurring is connected to my wifi, which on my laptop / phone everything else I get 5 bars showing I have only 1. It also only shows neighboring networks with 1 or none which was not true on my laptop.

I ran a speed test, and everything is fine. I just don't know if that's just a software bug, or something else in the machine.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Have you done the standard voodoo pram / smc reset ritual?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

tuyop posted:

This is strange, I just had my iPhone replaced and now handoff between my MacBook Air (2014) and iPad (Mini Retina) and iPhone (5S) isn't working, but handoff between the iPad and iPhone works perfectly. I've tested in Safari, iMessage, and Mail.

I'm on Yosemite 10.10.1

I've followed the instructions here and done the standard turn it off and on again for all three devices but nothing has changed. Airdrop to the Mac is working fine as well, what else should I try?

Edit: The quick hotspot option is also available on the iPad but not the Mac.

So nobody has any advice on this? Should I contact Apple?

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Farking Bastage posted:

Oh poo poo, now I finally have something good to do with my ipad 1. :lol:

And thanks for the malware advice. I may or may not pick up a license for eset's mac scanner depending on how paranoid I still feel after the month trial is up.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 28, 2019

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Unless you're on an older Mac (which it doesn't look like based on the size of the screenshot -- I'm guessing Retina display) you shouldn't be using Silverlight with Netflix anymore anyway.

edit: No clue about Firefox, but I believe Netflix HTML5 playback works with both Safari and Chrome on Yosemite.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jan 10, 2015

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

tuyop posted:

So nobody has any advice on this? Should I contact Apple?

I'll check later today when I'm off work, but I have been having problems with getting messages sent to my phone on my iPad Air 2

Edit: Sorry man, continuity works on both my Mac mini and iPad with a webpage on my phone.

Messages from a non idevice don't seem to come through on my iPad but does on my Mac mini.

savesthedayrocks fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jan 11, 2015

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 28, 2019

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Speedball posted:

You've got adware. Use this: http://www.adwaremedic.com

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
CPU was over 60% steady when I woke up this morning, with all of it being the opendirectoryd service. Force killed, restarted, same thing.

I also noticed there were a ton of sshd processes running. Checked the Console and sure enough, someone was trying to brute force into my box over ssh. Killed the port forward at the router and CPU went immediately to 0%.

Bitches.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

empty baggie posted:

You've got adware. Use this: http://www.adwaremedic.com

For some reason adware medic didn't detect anything. Avast found some old malware and got rid of it, though. Also I just upgraded to Yosemite, hopefully that'll throw the adware for a loop if it's still on the system.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Ahhh, nope, it's affecting multiple browsers and multiple computers. I think our router has been hacked, the whole house is being adwared.

EDIT: Looks like it might be this:

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202458

I notice the adware only kicks in when Java is enabled and only when visiting certain sites. I was able to get it to appear on a family member's computer, but again, only when visiting certain sites.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jan 11, 2015

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

What a frightening beast!

spongeworthy posted:

Can anyone explain why UserEventAgent attempts to connect to appleiphonecell.com and thinkdifferent.us, et al after booting up the computer or at other times? I don't have any applications open on boot except Calendar, Mail, and Little Snitch.

I see other queries on the internet about it but no clear answer.

Is it the thing which tries to detect if you're on a network which needs a login page popped up (e.g. hotel/airport wifi)? There's definitely something which tries to hit an Apple domain or two and if it doesn't get the answer it expects then it opens a window for you to login, but I'm not sure if it's UserEventAgent that handles it.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

GregNorc posted:

Thanks I removed the IMG tags, sorry about that.

I'm not sure about the exact model because it's a laptop my internship let me keep, but yeah it's a Retina MBP.

I'll DuckDuckGo around and see if Firefox supports HTML5 playback

Edit: All I found were some blogs from 2013 saying they were trialing it in Chrome

Firefox doesn't support html5 Netflix, as it requires a proprietary DRM plugin, which as far as I'm aware only exists for Chrome.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
How would you watermark a video in a simple, non-maddening way? Especially if you have a batch.

I've been using Softmatic's tool for images, even though it seems to mess up the quality of the images, but something similar for videos would be great.

I also have a computer with Windows, if there's something there.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

ufarn posted:

How would you watermark a video in a simple, non-maddening way? Especially if you have a batch.

I've been using Softmatic's tool for images, even though it seems to mess up the quality of the images, but something similar for videos would be great.

I also have a computer with Windows, if there's something there.

I was hoping iMovie had a script dictionary so that you could just use that to batch edit your videos, but no luck.

Though I did find this so you can avoid softmatic if the resolution fuckery bothers you. You may be able to find some video editing software that has an AppleScript or Automator support.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Not that anyone gives a poo poo, but Numbers / Pages / Keynote all got updated with minor bug fixes, etc.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Farking Bastage posted:

Is there a program to do this from my Macbook Pro to my desktop PC? Preferably while using the native screen resolution of my monitor?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

AirServer?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

savesthedayrocks posted:

I'll check later today when I'm off work, but I have been having problems with getting messages sent to my phone on my iPad Air 2

Edit: Sorry man, continuity works on both my Mac mini and iPad with a webpage on my phone.

Messages from a non idevice don't seem to come through on my iPad but does on my Mac mini.

Ok, perfect. I did a bit of a login dance with my iPhone and MacBook and now it "just works" again.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

Not that anyone gives a poo poo, but Numbers / Pages / Keynote all got updated with minor bug fixes, etc.
You're slowing down BB. That was a few days ago now (they showed up for me on the 8th).

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I said come in! posted:

Is there a program to do this from my Macbook Pro to my desktop PC? Preferably while using the native screen resolution of my monitor?
I use AirPlay + AirServer at work on occasion. I'll double check if it gives me a native resolution option.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Binary Badger posted:

I have just this week given up on Ms office for Mac after relentless crashing in PowerPoint so I'm all over these updates

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

JamesOff posted:

Is it the thing which tries to detect if you're on a network which needs a login page popped up (e.g. hotel/airport wifi)? There's definitely something which tries to hit an Apple domain or two and if it doesn't get the answer it expects then it opens a window for you to login, but I'm not sure if it's UserEventAgent that handles it.

I think so, but I'm on my established home network wifi and have no saved networks from hotels or Starbucks. Little Snitch caught the outgoing connection attempts..

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

spongeworthy posted:

I think so, but I'm on my established home network wifi and have no saved networks from hotels or Starbucks. Little Snitch caught the outgoing connection attempts..

When I noticed it a couple of days ago, it seemed like it was perfectly safe and just Apple testing your connection. Why they don't just ping apple.com or something is beyond me!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Parts Kit posted:

Oh poo poo, now I finally have something good to do with my ipad 1. :lol:

Yeah, I dug out my old iPad1 out of its box too, but then I saw that you need iOS7+ :(

Back in the box you go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Wouldn't the resolution on an old iPad preclude you from doing anything cool with it anyway?