Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

the JJ posted:

Glen Cook's Black Company also has a lot of dark humor in a... I don't want to call it grim or anything, but definitely a not happy setting where the characters are trying to get by. At one point the narrator gets caught writing sexy fan-fiction about his boss, who happens to be the Evil Empress sorceress of doom. It's pretty funny. I'd probably rate it as less grimdark than Abercrombie. His Instrumentalities of the Night is also really fun if you're into actual history instead of theme park history.

If you want to branch out a bit into sci-fi, Ian Bank's Culture novels are actually just loving brilliant and they've got a nice sense of humor, especially with the Minds.

Again, sci-fi, but Douglas Adam's Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy is basically all that early Pratchett goodness in a sci-fi setting, tangential asides included.

For Cook I'd recommend the Garrett series more. They're noir novels, so they will go dark at times (*cough* Old Tin Sorrows *cough*), but they're generally lighter in tone and more fun than the Black Company stuff.

Banks and Adams are both must reads anyway, never mind that they also fit the bill. And Rat Queens. It's gorey but often hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Witches Abroad is something goddamn special :swoon:

I'm 64% through. I love Nanny Ogg and Greebo :h: :h: :h:

"Genua, city of cooks, had found the appetite it deserved."

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 12, 2015

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Hedrigall posted:

Same except I'm re-reading Maskerade. The Ankh-Morpork Opera House's organ is a Johnson :haw:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If you do read Robert Asprin's Myth books make sure you stop reading around the time there was like a 10 year gap between books. And then later he had a Co author or something? Anyway, stop before you get to Little Myth Marker

E: never mind the last good one is Sweet Myth-tery of Life. Got them mixed up

precision fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 12, 2015

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

precision posted:

If you do read Robert Asprin's Myth books make sure you stop reading around the time there was like a 10 year gap between books. And then later he had a Co author or something? Anyway, stop before you get to Little Myth Marker

E: never mind the last good one is Sweet Myth-tery of Life. Got them mixed up

There's two listed reasons as to why he stopped writing without a co-author. One is that he was struck by terminal writer's block. The other is that he got into some tax trouble that will lead to him being jumped on if he ever publishes again, so he sold his series and ideas to other writers and makes his bank that way. Basically, though, anything written "with" a co-author is that author's work alone and Asprin's credit is initial creator only.

It's a shame, really. He'd just started the Phule's Company series that for my money are better than the Myth Adventures, and the guy he turned it over to (Peter Heck) evidently hadn't read the original books very well. The plots in the co-authored novels are fine, but there's a lot of really jarring changes and the writing gets very generic.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Jedit posted:

he sold his series and ideas to other writers and makes his bank that way.

I'm pretty sure that wouldn't work, but to be clear Asprin died in 2008. A shame as he was, to my understanding, going back to some of his earlier works, such as putting the Bug War back in print etc.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Hedrigall posted:

"Genua, city of cooks, had found the appetite it deserved."
The last third is by far the strongest part of the book, so enjoy that.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

FactsAreUseless posted:

The last third is by far the strongest part of the book, so enjoy that.

I just finished, and boy did I!

Here's the review I just wrote on Goodreads:

I posted:

I've read 17 of the Discworld books now and this might be the most laugh-out-loud funny of the bunch so far. It was just a non-stop barrage of amazing jokes and references to the world of fiction.

There were basically two halves to this book: the first half was an extended travelogue, which entailed the Lancre coven going from place to place and commenting snidely on things. Considering I love the three main characters, and Pratchett's dialogue is perfect, this was entirely amazing. The second half was the storyline in Genua, which I also really enjoyed. Genua seemed like Pratchett's love letter to New Orleans and Disneyworld mashed together. Amongst the hilarity there was a lot of intelligent commentary about race and class.

The absolute best part of this book, the jewel in the crown, is Nanny Ogg. She's probably my absolute favourite Discworld character. Everything she says and does is hilarious — she's my hero. I also adore Greebo, and seeing him turned into a human for a night was a real treat. What a fantastic sideplot.

One other really clever thing was the mirroring (pun intended?) of the Weatherwax sisters — their deeds and their thoughts, and the somewhat troubling question of "is Granny really the good sister?". I thought the final juxtaposition of scenes where both of them are trapped in the mirror world, and each responds in a different way to Death's challenge, was kind of profound.

Brilliant book. Bring on more Witches novels!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

ulmont posted:

I'm pretty sure that wouldn't work, but to be clear Asprin died in 2008. A shame as he was, to my understanding, going back to some of his earlier works, such as putting the Bug War back in print etc.

poo poo, I didn't know. :/

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jedit posted:

It's a shame, really. He'd just started the Phule's Company series that for my money are better than the Myth Adventures, and the guy he turned it over to (Peter Heck) evidently hadn't read the original books very well. The plots in the co-authored novels are fine, but there's a lot of really jarring changes and the writing gets very generic.

I definitely remember reading the first Phule's Company book but damned if I can remember anything about it.

For another light fantasy romp series, of-course Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd and Grey Mouser books are fantastic. And While it's not fantasy, if we're recommending light/funny genre books, everyone needs to read the Stainless Steel Rat books.

Dracnor
Feb 13, 2003

oh look it is a a DRAGON RAR RAR

ulmont posted:

If I remember correctly, he actually died while reading a Discworld book.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Haven't been enjoying the Hogfather too much, but I loved this one conversation between Albert and Death. Horrible formatting and any typoes aside, I hope it's not too long to post or anything, and tell me if it needs a spoiler tag.

[Context for anyone who doesn't know - Death and Albert are cavorting about basically being the Discworld equivalent of Santa.]

quote:

THE BOY WANTS A PAIR OF TROUSERS THAT HE DOESN'T HAVE TO SHARE, A HUGE MEAT PIE, A SUGAR MOUSE, 'A LOT OF TOYS' AND A PUPPY CALLED SCRUFF.
'Ah, sweet,' said Albert. 'I shall wipe away a tear, 'cos what he's gettin', see, is this little wooden toy and an apple.' He held them out.
BUT THE LETTER CLEARLY
'Yes, well, it's socio-economic factors again, right?' said Albert 'The world'd be in a right mess if everyone got what they asked for, eh?'
I GAVE THEM WHAT THEY WANTED IN THE STORE . . .
'Yeah, and that's gonna cause a lot of trouble, master. All them "toy pigs that really work". I didn't say nothing 'cos it was getting the job done but you can't go on like that. What good's a god who gives you everything you want?'
YOU HAVE ME THERE.
'It's the hope that's important. Big part of belief, hope. Give people jam today and they'll just sit and eat it. jam tomorrow, now - that'll keep them going for ever.'
AND YOU MEAN THAT BECAUSE OF THIS THE POOR GET POOR THINGS AND THE RICH GET RICH THINGS?
' 's right,' said Albert. 'That's the meaning of Hogswatch.'
Death nearly wailed. BUT I'M THE HOGFATHER! He looked embarrassed. AT THE MOMENT, I MEAN.
'Makes no difference,' said Albert, shrugging. 'I remember when I was a nipper, one Hogswatch I had my heart set on this huge model horse they had in the shop ...' His face creased for a moment in a grim smile of recollection. 'I remember I spent hours one day, cold as charity the weather was, I spent hours with my nose pressed up against the window ... until they heard me callin', and unfroze me. I saw them take it out of the window, someone was in there buying it, and, y'know, just for a second I thought it really was going to be for me ... Oh. I dreamed of that toy horse. It were red and white with a real saddle and everything. And rockers. I'd've killed for that horse.' He shrugged again. 'Not a chance, of course, 'cos we didn't have a pot to piss in and we even `ad to spit on the bread to make it soft enough to eat ...'
PLEASE ENLIGHTEN ME. WHAT IS SO IMPORTANT ABOUT HAVING A POT TO PISS IN?
'It's ... it's more like a figure of speech, master. It means you're as poor as a church mouse.'
ARE THEY POOR?
'Well ... yeah.'
BUT SURELY NOT MORE POOR THAN ANY OTHER MOUSE? AND, AFTER ALL, THERE TEND TO BE LOTS OF CANDLES AND THINGS THEY COULD EAT.
'Figure of speech again, master. It doesn't have to make sense.'
OH. I SEE. DO CARRY ON.
'O' course, I still hung up my stocking on Hogswatch Eve, and in the morning, you know, you know what? Our dad had put in this little horse he'd carved his very own self ...'
AH, said Death. AND THAT WAS WORTH MORE THAN ALL THE EXPENSIVE TOY HORSES IN THE WORLD,EH?
Albert gave him a beady look. 'No!' he said. 'It weren't. All I could think of was it wasnt the big horse in the window.'
Death looked shocked.
BUT HOW MUCH BETTER TO HAVE A TOY CARVED WITH...
'No. Only grown-ups think like that,' said
Albert. 'You're a selfish little bugger when you're seven. Anyway, Dad got ratted after lunch and trod on it.'
LUNCH?
'All right, mebbe we had a bit of pork dipping for the bread ...'
EVEN SO, THE SPIRIT OF HOGSWATCH...
Albert sighed. 'If you like, master. If you like.'
Death looked perturbed.
BUT SUPPOSING THE HOGFATHER HAD BROUGHT YOU THE WONDERFUL HORSE---
'Oh, Dad would've flogged it for a couple of bottles,' said Albert.
BUT WE HAVE BEEN INTO HOUSES WHERE THE CHILDREN HAD MANY TOYS AND BROUGHT THEM EVEN MORE TOYS, AND IN HOUSES LIKE THIS THE CHILDREN GET PRACTICALLY NOTHING.
'Huh, we'd have given anything to get practically nothing when I were a lad,' said Albert.
BE HAPPY WITH WHAT YOU'VE GOT, IS THAT THE IDEA?
'That's about the size of it, master. A good god line, that. Don't give 'em too much and tell 'em to be happy with it. jam tomorrow, see.'
THIS IS WRONG. Death hesitated. I MEAN ... IT'S RIGHT TO BE HAPPY WITH WHAT YOU'VE GOT. BUT YOU'VE GOT TO HAVE SOMETHING TO BE HAPPY ABOUT HAVING. THERE'S NO POINT IN BEING HAPPY ABOUT HAVING NOTHING.
Albert felt a bit out of his depth in this new tide of social philosophy.
'Dunno,' he said. 'I suppose people'd say they've got the moon and the stars and suchlike.'
I'M SURE THEY WOULDN'T BE ABLE TO PRODUCE THE PAPERWORK.
'All I know is, if Dad'd caught us with a big bag of pricey toys we'd just have got a ding round the earhole for nicking 'em.'
IT IS ... UNFAIR.
'That's life, master.'
BUT I'M NOT.
'I meant this is how it's supposed to go, master,' said Albert.
NO. YOU MEAN THIS IS HOW IT GOES.
Albert leaned against the stove and rolled himself one of his horrible thin cigarettes. It was best to let the master work his own way through these things. He got over them eventually. It was like that business with the violin. For three days there was nothing but twangs and broken strings, and then he'd never touched the thing again. That was the trouble, really. Everything the master did was a bit like that. When things got into his head you just had to wait until they leaked out again.
He'd thought that Hogswatch was all ... plum pudding and brandy and ho ho ho and he didn't have the kind of mind that could ignore all the other stuff. And so it hurt him.
IT IS HOGSWATCH, said Death, AND PEOPLE DIE ON THE STREETS. PEOPLE FEAST BEHIND LIGHTED WINDOWS AND OTHER PEOPLE HAVE NO HOMES. IS THIS FAIR?
'Well, of course, that's the big issue ...' Albert began.
THE PEASANT HAD A HANDFUL OF BEANS AND THE KING HAD SO MUCH HE WOULD NOT EVEN NOTICE THAT WHICH HE GAVE AWAY. IS THIS FAIR?
'Yeah, but if you gave it all to the peasant then in a year or two he'd be just as snooty as the king---' began Albert, jaundiced observer of human nature.
NAUGHTY AND NICE? said Death. BUT IT'S EASY
TO BE NICE IF YOU'RE RICH. IS THIS FAIR?
Albert wanted to argue. He wanted to say, Really? In that case, how come so many of the rich buggers is bastards? And being poor don't mean being naughty, neither. We was poor when I were a kid, but we was honest. Well, more stupid than honest, to tell the truth. But basically honest.
He didn't argue, though. The master wasn't in any mood for it. He always did what needed to be done.
'You did say we just had to do this so's people'd believe... ' he began, and then stopped and started again. 'When it comes to fair, master, you yourself...'
I AM EVEN-HANDED TO RICH AND POOR ALIKE, snapped Death. BUT THIS SHOULD NOT BE A SAD TIME. THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE THE SEASON TO BE JOLLY. He wrapped his red robe around him. AND OTHER THINGS ENDING IN OLLY, he added.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Death as the Hogfather is the best.

http://www.imgur.com/a/eQqL1?gallery

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

yes

also that artist's version of Death is just adorable.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

I love how he kinda takes it all until he sees the little match-stick girl

Then he's just mad, and it's great.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

the JJ posted:

Scott Lynch's The Lies of Locke Lamora is a fun Ocean's 13 kind of heist book with some good humor in it, though the third act gets pretty serious. Still, Lynch doesn't use frak or whatever fantasy replacement swears and many of his characters are really foul mouthed, so it's pretty fun.

The Lies of Locke Lamora is entirely delightful. I like to imagine Locke and Jean would get along terribly well with Moist Von Lipwig, seeing how they are just as magnificent a pair of conmen, shysters and general scallywags as he is.

I'm reading an urban fantasy series by a UK author called Ben Aaronovitch just now, the first book of which is called Rivers of London, about a very young policemen who discovers London has a magical division and is taken on as an apprentice wizard. Urban fantasy, but done quite well, and is very much in the style of Pratchett and Douglas Adams. Lots of cheeky pop culture references and interesting takes on the history of London as a melting pot of cultures and how it would affect the magic of the city (the anthropomorphic personification of the River Thames is a particular highlight)

The author actually dedicated the fifth in the series to Pratchett, with the rather touching words "To Sir Terry Pratchett, who has stood like a wossname on the rocky shores of our imaginations, the better to guide us safely into harbour"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Irisi posted:

The Lies of Locke Lamora is entirely delightful. I like to imagine Locke and Jean would get along terribly well with Moist Von Lipwig, seeing how they are just as magnificent a pair of conmen, shysters and general scallywags as he is.

I'm reading an urban fantasy series by a UK author called Ben Aaronovitch just now, the first book of which is called Rivers of London, about a very young policemen who discovers London has a magical division and is taken on as an apprentice wizard. Urban fantasy, but done quite well, and is very much in the style of Pratchett and Douglas Adams. Lots of cheeky pop culture references and interesting takes on the history of London as a melting pot of cultures and how it would affect the magic of the city (the anthropomorphic personification of the River Thames is a particular highlight)

The author actually dedicated the fifth in the series to Pratchett, with the rather touching words "To Sir Terry Pratchett, who has stood like a wossname on the rocky shores of our imaginations, the better to guide us safely into harbour"

Ben Aaronovitch was a Guest of Honour at the most recent Discworld Convention. I got into his Klatch (despite not having read any of his books); he's a good bloke.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Aaronovitch also is/was a Doctor Who writer of some renown.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

Didn't know that, thought he was some sort of up-and-coming young writer bloke. I just looked him up and he's about 25 years older than I was expecting. Huh, funny how a writers style and choice of main character gives you a sort of preconcieved notion of how they look and what generation they belong to.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

DoctorWhat posted:

Almost all well known british authors have written for doctor who at some point (Neil gaiman, douglas adams, stephen baxter, etc), and it usually makes it easy to figure out which classic doctor who serials or novels will be good. You also often see similarities between their normal books and their doctor who material.

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.

Irisi posted:

Locke Lamora is great.

If you like the Rivers of London books, then you might like Paul Cornell's (Another Dr Who writer) London Falling book. It's very similar, if a bit grittier and darker.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ika posted:

Almost all well known british authors have written for doctor who at some point (Neil gaiman, douglas adams, stephen baxter, etc), and it usually makes it easy to figure out which classic doctor who serials or novels will be good. You also often see similarities between their normal books and their doctor who material.

Dirk Gently is a recycled Dr Who script, as well.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Tunicate posted:

Heck, didn't the third book in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series begin as "Doctor Who and the Krikkitmen"? (Which, now that I think about it, I wish were an actual Doctor Who story.)

With regard to recommendations chat, I'm going to be the oddball who suggested Red Dwarf novelisations--or at least the first two, written by both Rob Grant and Doug Naylor. I don't know that I can confidently recommend much of the work that came after their split, including the books, but early Red Dwarf on the screen or the page is amazing and hilarious.

SatansOnion fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 15, 2015

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

^^^^^^
That I did not know. It sort of explains the weirdness in that book.

Tunicate posted:

That's what I was getting at, I didn't want to be that explicit.

Ika fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 15, 2015

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Makes me wonder where the second Dirk Gently book came from, then, because the resolution to that one made less sense than the time travel plot.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Apparently the Golgafrinchan 'B-Ark' from Restaurant at the End of the Universe was partly a rejected Who pitch too.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I just noticed that the radio adaption of good omens doesn't appear to be region restricted. (At least it works here in Germany)

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

Ika posted:

I just noticed that the radio adaption of good omens doesn't appear to be region restricted. (At least it works here in Germany)

BBC Radio programs are never region restricted.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Cool, I just assumed the iplayer is always restricted. I've now listened to most of it and enjoyed it. There are a lot of small changes to turn descriptions and random comments into something more natural for radio but it isn't noticeable or a bad thing.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I picked up Raising Steam the other day, I haven't read a new Discworld novel since Going Postal, am I going to miss some (major) references?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

I picked up Raising Steam the other day, I haven't read a new Discworld novel since Going Postal, am I going to miss some (major) references?

Only to Making Money, which is book 2 in the subseries of which you've read book 1 and bought book 3.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Jedit posted:

Only to Making Money, which is book 2 in the subseries of which you've read book 1 and bought book 3.

Going to fix that then.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Also Snuff, since that book deals with the goblins. It's generally explained in Raising Steam though.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
I have to ask: does the Fifth Elephant get better? I really don't care for that Carrot - Angua drama. I guess maybe it's not a question of "better". Funnier? Actually having some stakes?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm not particularly hot on the Angua/Carrot/Ankh-Morpork love triangle myself, but Fifth Elephant is still probably one of my favorite Watch novels. I feel like Sybil and Cheery are at their strongest in this book (and I am terribly biased because Cheery Littlebottom is one of my favorites?) and regardless of anything else, keep at it because goddrat that man writes a good climax.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

supermikhail posted:

I have to ask: does the Fifth Elephant get better? I really don't care for that Carrot - Angua drama. I guess maybe it's not a question of "better". Funnier? Actually having some stakes?

That's more like, D-plotish. Plots A-C are all real good.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

supermikhail posted:

But but Vimes.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
Oh, okay, thanks. There's definitely some fun stuff, and even Colon's misadventures have been growing on me, although I had to pause and think about it, and I've placed the blame squarely on Carrot's shoulders, for which I dislike his sections even more. And they kind of drain the fun. So, I'll just skim through them for now, shall I? (It'll be the first with a Pratchett book though, as far as I recall.:colbert:)

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

supermikhail posted:

Oh, okay, thanks. There's definitely some fun stuff, and even Colon's misadventures have been growing on me, although I had to pause and think about it, and I've placed the blame squarely on Carrot's shoulders, for which I dislike his sections even more. And they kind of drain the fun. So, I'll just skim through them for now, shall I? (It'll be the first with a Pratchett book though, as far as I recall.:colbert:)
The Carrot story pays off at the end, and it's one of the few times that Pratchett did anything interesting with Angua.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

supermikhail posted:

and even Colon's misadventures have been growing on me
"Colon out" is one of my favourite Discworld jokes.